HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 07:41 AM
mmajeski06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
sorry......cleveland can't support a NHL team here... even the sport talk show hosts in this town don't even like hockey...

the city has trouble attracting fans to watch the indians....

and lastly, its a browns football town here....the browns new owner, jimmy haslem, is just recently being investigated by the FBI, because of over some shady deal over rebates in his truck stop business...

that story received more press in cleveland last week than the bombing in boston...
This is true. Even the local sports media jokes about it...after the Indians won the opener against the Blue Jays, one of the Plain Dealer writers tweeted something like: "Indians win on Opening Day, stay tuned for how this affects the Browns' 1st round draft strategy".

Old
04-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Come on Fugu. You really think a decision worth many HUNDREDS of millions of dollars over dozens of years like the relocation of the Coyotes will be decided by an arbitrary convention on realignment?

Seriously? I get that they are good reasons for having a team in Seattle, but the realignment isn't one. Québec can play in the West for a few years like Winnipeg until a new decision on realigment is made in two years.
Exactly what is the "arbitrary convention" that you have in mind? I'm not aware of any conventions on realignment.

I interpet realignment to have been a thoughtful decision-making process that would be completely surprising if it did not take an imminent move of the Coyotes to QC into account.

If such a move were at all likely, the NHL could have held off announcing realignment until franchise locations were settled.

I'm no more or less happy whatever happens to the Coyotes - Phoenix, Quebec, Seattle or Timbuktu are all fine with me. It's not like I'm rooting against QC.

The only way I could see QC in the cards is if the NHL has an understanding with Columbus that their move to the Eastern Conference is conditional upon the situation in QC. That could well be the case and outside our knowledge.

However, based on all we do know (which, frankly, is not really all that much) Phoenix to QC does not look at all likely; the complicated re-realignment scenarios are even less likely; and Detroit going back to the Western Conference is a non-starter.

Last edited by Mork: 04-22-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
enarwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, I hope Ive got that right, as I believe this document was from the Hulsizer Chapter's of this Saga pursuant to the Parking Bond play, the section you refer to, the Lease Agreement, as it was never executed is completely null & void, irrelevant.
Thanks......

Old
04-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Exactly what is the "arbitrary convention" that you have in mind? I'm not aware of any conventions on realignment.

I interpet realignment to have been a thoughtful decision-making process that would be completely surprising if it did not take an imminent move of the Coyotes to QC into account.

If such a move were at all likely, the NHL could have held off announcing realignment until franchise locations were settled.

I'm no more or less happy whatever happens to the Coyotes - Phoenix, Quebec, Seattle or Timbuktu are all fine with me. It's not like I'm rooting against QC.

The only way I could see QC in the cards is if the NHL has an understanding with Columbus that their move to the Eastern Conference is conditional upon the situation in QC. That could well be the case and outside our knowledge.

However, based on all we do know (which, frankly, is not really all that much) Phoenix to QC does not look at all likely; the complicated re-realignment scenarios are even less likely; and Detroit going back to the Western Conference is a non-starter.
Quebec should play in the "MidWest" like Winnipeg played in the SouthEast until they realign again later.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Quebec should play in the "MidWest" like Winnipeg played in the SouthEast until they realign again later.
And that may very well be the standard for relocation now. You can buy a team and relocate it but the NHL won't realign immediatly to suit your need.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:54 AM
MNNumbers

Question for Wings fans:

It was posted above that ST sales for the Wings spiked when the new alignment was revealed, especially from Canada.

My question: I didn't know the Wings had attendance and ST issues to start with? Is this true? Not that the franchise is in any trouble, mind you. It is just interesting.

I agree that Detroit, once grouped with the NE or ATL teams (especially the NE teams because of Windsor and SW Ontario) is likely not moving back west, especially if that is the case, and especially since the team right now looks on the beginning of a time when they are more middle-of-the-pack than elite.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:04 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
And that may very well be the standard for relocation now. You can buy a team and relocate it but the NHL won't realign immediatly to suit your need.
Totally agree. In the case where PKP buys the Yotes, though, it would be better for everyone involved with a minor change of QC to the Midwest and Colorado to the Pacific. That would be better for everyone.

Generally, I discount the importance of the realignment because of a couple of things.

One, this looks like a desperate league. 6 outdoor games next year?? Really??? LA???

Two, the league has made it their very public stance that they don't want to move the team. So, no realignment that is published would likely accommodate a relocation, because they are mostly denying the possibility of one.

Three, no one really knows how much the PA have had to say about the new alignment. Except for one cryptic comment that has never been probed further in an interview in which Fehr agreed that the realignment could be reconsidered in the event of a relo or expansion. And, the sense to me (and I could be wrong) was that he meant whenever a relo happened. Does anyone else remember that? And, whether QC was directly involved in either the question or the answer?

Now, I have no idea why they would choose to do a realignment announcement when they did. It makes no sense at all to me. I suppose there may have been a sense that the schedule for next year needs to get started. And, some kind of pressure that Winnipeg not play in the SE for a 3rd year, so "we have to do something with this, even though it should wait...." I just don't know why they would do that right now.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
GuelphStormer

i'm still baffled by how many posters here seem to think the current realignment plan will greatly affect where the coyotes get placed. surely the league has various plans.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Depending on where the team is moved to, announcing it during the playoffs would potentially get lost among the playoffs themselves.... It sounds like the owners aren't willing to go through this again and have more lost revenues though. They're better off suspending operations, even though they won't do that.
Ya, there's that to consider GKJ, buried a bit. I guess the odds are 50/50. Would make some sense to do it during the Playoffs, while on the other hand, it doesnt. Its a sort of bad news / good news type situation. No idea really... and ya, beyond Leipolds comments of a few weeks ago we havent heard much of anything from anyone else, but youve gotta figure their somewhat exasperated with the situation whenever thinking about or discussing it. Again though, who knows? They all have their own sets of issues to deal with, their own businesses to run. Its the Commissioners problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
Thanks......
Welcome. Hope I helped to clear that up?....

Old
04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i'm still baffled by how many posters here seem to think the current realignment plan will greatly affect where the coyotes get placed. surely the league has various plans.
Before voting on the realignment proposition, the NHLPA asked the league what would happen if the Yotes had to move to Quebec City. They then accepted the proposition, so I guess it means the League has an acceptable plan in case relocation to Qc has to happen.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Before voting on the realignment proposition, the NHLPA asked the league what would happen if the Yotes had to move to Quebec City. They then accepted the proposition, so I guess it means the League has an acceptable plan in case relocation to Qc has to happen.
This is what I remember as well, but I would like it very much if you could conjure up a link.

Thanks!!

Old
04-22-2013, 10:08 AM
PSGJ

Does anyone know when the schedule for the next season is supposed to be released? Was the schedule released before Atlanta moved or after?

Old
04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
RandR

Quote:
If true that the league was asked that question, then my guess would be that were given the same line they've been telling the entire world for years now:

"We have no current plans for relocating the Coyotes or any other team".

That doesn't mean there are no contingency plans; however, there doesn't yet appear to be any publicly known evidence of them.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:12 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:

NHLPA: What happens if the Coyotes move to Quebec City?

NHL: The Coyotes aren't moving to Quebec City.

NHLPA: Why not?

NHL: Would you rather your constituents play in another tiny Canadian market with high income taxes, or a major metropolis with no income taxes?

NHLPA: Ok then, next topic.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:12 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
Does anyone know when the schedule for the next season is supposed to be released? Was the schedule released before Atlanta moved or after?
The schedule is usually released in August, but there a lot of planning that has to go into it. I wouldn't be surprised if work on it will start soon.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:14 AM
JimAnchower

Since we're getting to the end of this thread...

LXXV - Bettman Don't Kill Coyotes

In honor of the first Red Hot Chili Peppers single, True Men Don't Kill Coyotes

Old
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
NHLPA: What happens if the Coyotes move to Quebec City?

NHL: The Coyotes aren't moving to Quebec City.

NHL: Would you rather your constituents play in another tiny Canadian market with high income taxes, or a major metropolis with no income taxes?

NHLPA: Ok then, next topic.
NHLPA: But wait, we get a share of the revenues, right? Yes, please move the Coyotes to QC where they will be among the league's top 9 markets at the gate.

NHL: Curses! Fooled again!

Old
04-22-2013, 10:17 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
The schedule is usually released in August, but there a lot of planning that has to go into it. I wouldn't be surprised if work on it will start soon.
No, the schedule is generally released in mid to late June prior to the draft. To the original question, it was after the Jets relocation.

Last 2 seasons it was on June 21 and June 23.

The broadcast schedule is released in August.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
NHLPA: What happens if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg?

NHL: The Thrashers aren't moving to Winnipeg.

NHLPA:Winnipeg please.
Or actually, fyp.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:41 AM
madhi19

Phoenix LXXV:Just like that old gypsy woman said!

Old
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Is this fiction? I don't remember ANYONE saying this ever.

QC and any other NA city is not ready for a team.

<<Checking to see if this is the Quebec thread>>

Old
04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Is this fiction? I don't remember ANYONE saying this ever.

QC and any other NA city is not ready for a team.

<<Checking to see if this is the Quebec thread>>

I've read that also, right here on HF. We could find the links.

Remember the asso had problems with the proposed realignment, regarding the PHX situation. I don't recall if they specifically mentionned "Quebec city", we could search the web, but suddenly, the asso accepted the realignment, keeping the right to rediscuss this.

Dunno if this fits here?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
I don't remember ANYONE saying this ever.
Nor do I. In fact, I cant imagine the NHL even bringing it up with the NHLPA.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Slashers98

Wasn't Darin Pastor supposed to meet Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers on Friday?

We haven't heard anything about it since then!

Old
04-22-2013, 11:11 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Here's a text posted couple months ago where its stated the NHLPA could block the latest realignment project.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas-...a-dallas-stars

Quoting the author, I agree not a league or asso official.

"The CBC's Elliotte Friedman notes that the NHLPA is working on a response and having to go through team representives nearly one or two at a time, with players from the East unhappy with the new playoff structuring. The NHL had stated it needed a response by last season for scheduling purposes and now it seems the NHLPA is dragging it's feet and slowing the process. Sort of like the lockout.

The reality is that the plan is certainly flawed. Uneven conferences, some odd hybrid of divisional playoffs and a wild card system and overall concern about the postseason structure notwithstanding -- the current realignment proposal appears to do nothing to address possible expansion in Quebec and elsewhere."

I agree the word is expansion but still, all of a sudden couple days later, Fehr accepts.

What happened? Bettman said Fehr "Trust me?"

Unless you believe every words coming out Bettman's mouth on any matter linked to the future of this franchise, the released realignement itself is meaningless in my opinion.

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 04-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Closed Thread