HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Strait - Broken Ankle, **Activated from IR**

Old
04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
Strait needs to get in game time ASAP! Florida is as good a time as any. He's going to need 4 or 5 games to get up to game speed.They can start off by giving him short minutes. I'm sure practices at this time of year are just warm ups. He needs game action.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
What was wrong with Finley?

Old
04-15-2013, 04:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Strait-Streit

?

Sucks that Hamonic is the only RH shot.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:00 PM
periferal

Did anyone have to be sent down by activating Strait/Finley?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Did anyone have to be sent down by activating Strait/Finley?
I don't think there's a limit on the # of guys your team carries after the deadline.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Not many true #1 D men around, they are pretty rare. Even a solid #2 is rare if he s a close to top guy.
Lot's of teams have the set up of 2 second pairings, then a 3rd pairing that can be upgraded talent.

Devs Rags & Flyers dont have a #1, Pens have Letang.
I should have broken it down better. When it comes to second pairs, there are great, average, and almost third pair types. We have the parts for the top end and bottom end. That they even align right due to coaching choice is another story. Vis and Hamonic are top end 2nd at this stage of their careers. One on the way down due to age, and one up. AMac is bottom 2nd. Strait is a solid #4. Then we have the rest.

One important addition to that pool changes everything, all of the lines, for the better. I can't begin to tell you how much I hope they make that addition in the summer.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Dont get me wrong, extremely appreciative of what Brian strait accomplished with us this year. But the last i checked we are 8-1-2 in our last 11 matching up either martinek or carkner with the opposing team. I DO NOT think this is the time to re-invent the wheel, maybe we dress him as an extra and he gets some minutes but at this point we dance with who brought us here. Love strait and glad hes signed for next year but lets let these guys continue to make strides together, bring in a rusty strait isnt gonna help anybody

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:11 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Dont get me wrong, extremely appreciative of what Brian strait accomplished with us this year. But the last i checked we are 8-1-2 in our last 11 matching up either martinek or carkner with the opposing team. I DO NOT think this is the time to re-invent the wheel, maybe we dress him as an extra and he gets some minutes but at this point we dance with who brought us here. Love strait and glad hes signed for next year but lets let these guys continue to make strides together, bring in a rusty strait isnt gonna help anybody
Would you rather see him come in for his first game back during the playoffs when someone goes down? He needs to get games in now before the playoffs start. I think Florida is the perfect game to get him back in. I'd rather them than Toronto or the Jets.

Last edited by bigd: 04-16-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Capuano said this AM of Strait: "Wouldn't be surprised by middle of the week that he's got the all-clear." #Isles
So not tonight hopefully in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...53714267402240

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I don't hold out much hope for a UFA, not when there are more attractive options for them. But I am surprised to see you so down on a trade possability, particularly when teams will be cap crunching soon. The more our forward prospects ripen, the better we can lure someone awash in defense.

The hole has to be filled one way or the other. Vis is old, and Streit is breaking down and getting old too.

Who is even on the farm in the mold of a real top pair offensive defenseman? No one reliable or without significant warts - CdH, Ness, other? PU.

No doubt Garf is going to draft one to play with JT when he is 50 or so... That has been his answer to date. IMO, again, it will have to be a trade, or however unlikely, free agency.
so are you thinking yandle or something?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
boredmale

Send Strait down to Bridgeport for a 1 game conditioning stint

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Bridgeport's schedule is tonight then Fri/Sat/Sun.. I think they're hoping to have him play Thursday. If say B'port was playing tomorrow I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
At least he'll be back in time for the playoffs
Called this back on February 18. I bet no one believed me at the time.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:23 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Called this back on February 18. I bet no one believed me at the time.
No one thought we would be in the playoffs. I thought he did pretty good last night concidering it was his first game back and it was a playoff type atmosphere. The speed of the game was intense so he held his own. When you're out that long i'm sure it was a big confidence booster to him and the coaches. He has 3 more games to get back into the shape he was in before he got hurt. No pressure!

Old
04-21-2013, 09:27 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
No one thought we would be in the playoffs. I thought he did pretty good last night concidering it was his first game back and it was a playoff type atmosphere. The speed of the game was intense so he held his own. When you're out that long i'm sure it was a big confidence booster to him and the coaches. He has 3 more games to get back into the shape he was in before he got hurt. No pressure!
i thought he looked like a bottom pairing dman,coming back from injury. Slow moving, slow decision making. To be expected, hope he picks it up. Certainly didnt look like the dman everyone talks up

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
i thought he looked like a bottom pairing dman,coming back from injury. Slow moving, slow decision making. To be expected, hope he picks it up. Certainly didnt look like the dman everyone talks up
Nor would anyone first game after being out 8 weeks.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
I thought he played well. He's a good defenseman and he's the perfect partner for Streit. Straight is good defensively, physical, skates deceptively well, plays a game you don't notice unless you are watching him specifically.

Bottom pairing, yes, but valuable. Glad he's back.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:28 AM
bigd

Quote:
I didn't see slow moving or slow decision making. That game was pretty fast pace. If he was slow in any of those areas you mentioned he would have been exposed.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:57 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
I didn't see slow moving or slow decision making. That game was pretty fast pace. If he was slow in any of those areas you mentioned he would have been exposed.
I would call it methodical and disciplined - something you can usually only hope for from a bottom pairing D-man.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
duster19

Quote:
He was. He blew coverage on Wellwoods first goal. He dis not look like he was comfortable with puck, esp having to move it up ice quickly. Was.easy to read. He wasnt brutal, but didnt look like anything special. Hopefully he regains the form so many people have been talking about

Old
04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I thought he played well. He's a good defenseman and he's the perfect partner for Streit. Straight is good defensively, physical, skates deceptively well, plays a game you don't notice unless you are watching him specifically.

Bottom pairing, yes, but valuable. Glad he's back.

Strait is who Strait is, he's a solid #6/7 defenseman. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone likes him because he's safe and thats exactly what you want from a #6/7 defenseman, BUT he's exactly the type of guy the Islanders should look to upgrade. As the team keeps getting better, you have to upgrade your weaker links.

Hickey has definitely taken a big step this season. He has a spot for next season. But I don't think as the team looks to improve that the Isles should settle for the Brian Straits of the world.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:39 AM
bigd

Quote:
He was. He blew coverage on Wellwoods first goal. He dis not look like he was comfortable with puck, esp having to move it up ice quickly. Was.easy to read. He wasnt brutal, but didnt look like anything special. Hopefully he regains the form so many people have been talking about
I'm more inclined to think Nielson or Bailey was suppose to cover Wellwood since he came in late. Nielson and Strait both went after the same guy but I don't think Wellwood was his man. I could be wrong, i'm not up with the x's and o's. Anyways, he was pretty solid for being out for 2 months. Capuano even praise him for the way he handled himself in such a fast pace game.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:47 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I'm more inclined to think Nielson or Bailey was suppose to cover Wellwood since he came in late. Nielson and Strait both went after the same guy but I don't think Wellwood was his man. I could be wrong, i'm not up with the x's and o's. Anyways, he was pretty solid for being out for 2 months. Capuano even praise him for the way he handled himself in such a fast pace game.
You are right. Strait had his man and Frans blew the coverage on well wood. It doesn't happen often for Frans and he was visibly upset right after the goal. He knew it. BTW cizikas is the best islander center in a long time on those types of plays. He sticks to his man and ties him up every time no matter how big the player. One of the many reasons why I love that kid.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
duster19

Quote:
I was always taught that you need a dman in front of the net. Your C is responsible for support in the corner. Looks like Nielsen was thinking the same thing. I hust rewatched it a couple time, Nielsen pressures Wellwood then leaves him to support where puck went. He does sort of engage Wellwood then leave his man so I can see why Strait would take the other guy. Might have been to hard on him. He needs work on his transistion game big time. It was painfully slow. I hope he gets better, because people made him out to be something incredible and he was really pretty avg. I didnt even think he was very physical. I hope that guy shows up though, would help out alot.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
You are right. Strait had his man and Frans blew the coverage on well wood. It doesn't happen often for Frans and he was visibly upset right after the goal. He knew it. BTW cizikas is the best islander center in a long time on those types of plays. He sticks to his man and ties him up every time no matter how big the player. One of the many reasons why I love that kid.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote