HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Mr V

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I think the Oilers finish 6th

MacT celebrates like he won the Cup cause he doesn't want to see the TSN folks snicker at him when he pulls up to the TSN offices to do the Lottery show
I expect TSN to announce Steve Tambellini as the guest host for the show. What would the program be without Steve's ear to ear smile?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I expect TSN to announce Steve Tambellini as the guest host for the show. What would the program be without Steve's ear to ear smile?
Maybe we'll have Tambo's lucky tie there at the lottery after all.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:08 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

In a thread comparing the 4-7 picks, surprised at how much love Lindholm & Nichushkin getting over Barkov & Monahan.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I think the Oilers finish 6th

MacT celebrates like he won the Cup cause he doesn't want to see the TSN folks snicker at him when he pulls up to the TSN offices to do the Lottery show
I swear I've said this about 4 times in these threads, but would TSN really do another lottery show if they need 14 GMs to fit in the frame of the camera?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
A team like Calgary or Florida should lock him up for a few years to help their rebuild.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:25 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Monahan did not really have a "lack of improvement" in his production. YOu have to look beyond his point totals and see the circumstances he was playing under.

In 2011-2012 he had 33 goals and 78 points in 62 games. In 2012-2013 he had 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games. On the surface this looks like he plateaued. But in 2011-2018 he played with Toffoli (65gp 52g 48a 100pts) and Shane Prince (57 gp 43g 47 a 90 pts) with Codi Ceci (64gp 17g 43a 60 pts) on the back end.

In 2012-2013 the 67's were a terrible team and MOnahan was pretty much a one man show. The other talenetd offensive players, Tyler Graovac (also a center) and Codi Ceci were both traded. The team scored 60 fewer goals than the year before and no one else had more than 40 points.
couldn't agree more. I really think if we get him we got a steal. I think he is better than Makinnon. just my two cents.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:48 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
In a thread comparing the 4-7 picks, surprised at how much love Lindholm & Nichushkin getting over Barkov & Monahan.
Yeah and according to somebody that watches Barkov all the time, he doesn't think he'll be more than a 50-70 point center and believes Lindholm is better than Barkov.

Yet a lot of HfOil is all about Barkov

Old
04-21-2013, 11:55 PM
spOiler

ISS or Craigslist if we look at ISS do we really want monahan who has fallen all the way to 9th? At 6th we have a shot at barkov if nurse goes first for a team that needs D

Old
04-22-2013, 01:04 AM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yeah and according to somebody that watches Barkov all the time, he doesn't think he'll be more than a 50-70 point center and believes Lindholm is better than Barkov.

Barkov put up 48pts in 53 games as a 17 year old playing pro. And he's huge. That should solve the mystery of HFOil's love of him.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:14 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Nashville wins first overall

We get 5th overall

Dumbass trade of Gagner and 5th for Seth Jones?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Cerebral

6th overall would be a great draft slot for the Oilers. We'd miss out on the big three (Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon) but we'd get either one of the top forwards in Barkov, Monahan, Nichuskin, or Lindholm or Nurse if we're looking for a big defenceman to groom.

We play some tough teams down the stretch but most of them unfortunately won't have anything to play for (Anaheim, Chicago, and Vancouver are all pretty much slotted in). Given that, it'll be interesting to see where the Oilers ultimately end up finishing.

I'm really high on this draft - I like a number of the top prospects and I think we're going to come away with a good one regardless of how these last four games go. Heck, while I don't want to drop outside the top 8, I wouldn't be too bitter if we won a few games and then selected Pulock.

04-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

It's not all about points

Old
04-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Nashville wins first overall

We get 5th overall

Dumbass trade of Gagner and 5th for Seth Jones?
I never really considered that Nashville could very well draft Jones. Weber would be the perfect guy to pair him with, especially when he's young.

I don't think it would be very dumb to make that trade, I just don't see Nashville doing it. I'd rather have Jones than Gagner and whoever we get at 5th, Jones could be a franchise dman and round out our core really well.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Soundwave

Nashville needs to sell tickets and have an offensive player to work with, they would take MacKinnon almost definitely, trading down to 5 for them is too big of a drop.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:17 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
ISS or Craigslist if we look at ISS do we really want monahan who has fallen all the way to 9th? At 6th we have a shot at barkov if nurse goes first for a team that needs D
ISS also had Galchenyuk ranked 14th and Filip Forsberg ranked #2. Did Montreal choose the wrong guy?

Old
04-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:

We don't need Barkov/Monahan to become Thornton/Getzlaf, we just need them to become Arnott. A big, defensively responsible 2nd line center who scores 50-70 points year after year, is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
We don't need Barkov/Monahan to become Thornton/Getzlaf, we just need them to become Arnott. A big, defensively responsible 2nd line center who scores 50-70 points year after year, is exactly what the doctor ordered.
We shouldn't get too hung up on size. Lindholm looks extremely aggressive and intense when playing.

I'll take a ferocious average sized player with a similar skill set over a larger player that lacks that intensity. I don't know if Monahan/barkov have that intensity similar to Lindholm, but no one really talks about it in regards to them.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
doubledown99

How many Finnish forwards have lived up to the hype?

M. Koivu has and everybody after has disappointed. Don't trust their development system at all. Granlund was suppose to be best Finnish prospect in a long time. Put up lots of points as well. How has that worked out?

Our prospect Raajala had lots of hype.

In the last 5-7 years, who are the notable Finnish prospects in the NHL? (Outside of Koivu? And obviously Selanne but talking about recently drafted propsects).

Old
04-22-2013, 09:24 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If you look at where Barkov is right now and then give him another year of development, he could go #1.

The late birthday makes his season even more impressive

Old
04-22-2013, 09:24 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
6th overall would be a great draft slot for the Oilers. We'd miss out on the big three (Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon) but we'd get either one of the top forwards in Barkov, Monahan, Nichuskin, or Lindholm or Nurse if we're looking for a big defenceman to groom.

We play some tough teams down the stretch but most of them unfortunately won't have anything to play for (Anaheim, Chicago, and Vancouver are all pretty much slotted in). Given that, it'll be interesting to see where the Oilers ultimately end up finishing.

I'm really high on this draft - I like a number of the top prospects and I think we're going to come away with a good one regardless of how these last four games go. Heck, while I don't want to drop outside the top 8, I wouldn't be too bitter if we won a few games and then selected Pulock.
6th overall in the second round is a pretty solid spot too.

There's guys like Chris Bigras(who I think is as every bit as good as Olli Maatta) that aren't even getting talked about for the 1st round.

Just shows you how deep the 15-20ish+ range is.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:47 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
If you look at where Barkov is right now and then give him another year of development, he could go #1.

This comment makes no sense. Based on what? Development isn't linear. There is no way to know how Barkov would develop over the next year. You are projecting that he would keep developing and at best that is a guess.

And if people are going to cite Gladwells Outliers book here, his research was looking at mostly the Canadian Hockey system. It doesn't necessarily apply to other countries. You would have to research the rules and system in those countries to find out if his theories would apply.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:00 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yeah, it's a comment on an internet thread.

I know development doesn't happen in a straight line, but I think we can safely say with more experience and perhaps another year to bulk up, Barkov would have more of an impact.

Why else do we even bring up birthdays?

Old
04-22-2013, 10:13 AM
s7ark

Quote:
This comment makes no sense. Based on what? Development isn't linear. There is no way to know how Barkov would develop over the next year. You are projecting that he would keep developing and at best that is a guess.

And if people are going to cite Gladwells Outliers book here, his research was looking at mostly the Canadian Hockey system. It doesn't necessarily apply to other countries. You would have to research the rules and system in those countries to find out if his theories would apply.
Younger draft eligible players are often thought to have more potential than older draft eligible players. It's been that way forever. This isn't your first draft on HF, I am sure you have seen people say similar things before.

I would have no problem with us ending up with Lindholm, but I would easily put him 4th on my C list, after MacKinnon, Barkov, and Monahan. JMO.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:

I seem to remember the Oilers highly regarding birth date to evaluate prospects. I read this 3-4 years ago so it is the same scouts.

You may be on to something

Old
04-22-2013, 10:18 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Younger draft eligible players are often thought to have more potential than older draft eligible players. It's been that way forever. This isn't your first draft on HF, I am sure you have seen people say similar things before.

I would have no problem with us ending up with Lindholm, but I would easily put him 4th on my C list, after MacKinnon, Barkov, and Monahan. JMO.
You are right s7ark I've seen the comment lots. But the comment originally applied to the Cdn hockey system but now I see this applied to all systems. Barkov I believe has been in the FEL since he was 16. In our system this wouldn't happen.

So the late birthday may apply to how our system is setup but it doesn't necessarily apply to others. So being a late birthday in say Norway may mean nothing. It definitely doesn't mean being younger than other draft eligibles means you have more potential.

Here is an article that discusses the late birthdays:
http://www.behindthenet.ca/blog/2008...nd-making.html

Last edited by doubledown99: 04-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Closed Thread