HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Purpose EJ Thread *Read Mod Warning # 1 & 34*

Old
04-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quincey is, was and will remain terrible. He doesn't have the attitude or the aptitude of a NHL player. I'm happy to see Sherman move him for good value last year, it sucks that Downie got injured but that's how this team's luck has been of late.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Since trading for Quincey, Detroit's record when Quincey is in the line up.

14W-36L.
that's reason enough to love the trade.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:35 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Since trading for Quincey, Detroit's record when Quincey is in the line up.

14W-36L.
Can that really be right...?

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:54 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Can that really be right...?
I think it is.

Wings struggled after deadline last year. Datsyuk out, Helm out, Lidström out for some time. 1-4 at playoffs.

8-2 this season when Q has been out.

edit. the 8-2 when KFQ has been out maybe isn't right but too tired to count. It was that a few weeks ago though.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 04-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.
InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:02 PM
cgf

If Downie never plays for us again Quincey's "impact" on detroit makes the trade worth it.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
ABasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
If Downie never plays for us again Quincey's "impact" on detroit makes the trade worth it.
It would be enjoyable if Columbus made it to the playoffs and Detroit didn't.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
It would be enjoyable if Columbus made it to the playoffs and Detroit didn't.
I always like to see new teams in the playoffs. Keeps the competition fresh and gives more hope for Avs. I want Avs to do the same that Montreal did bouncing back from horrible last season.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
I always like to see new teams in the playoffs. Keeps the competition fresh and gives more hope for Avs. I want Avs to do the same that Montreal did bouncing back from horrible last season.
Not to mention its Columbus they have the laughing stock in nhl for 10 years and th3y still seem to have some fans. Go Columbus!

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Avs71

Anyone else notice that since Johnson got hurt, Hunwick's ice time has gone from 24 minutes a game down to below 20 minutes each game.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Shattenkirk's defensive game is nothing to write home about. Just watch his work on the Avs first goal yesterday.

Trading him set the Avs offensive ability on the blue line back a few years, but watching Elliott and Barrie this last little while has given me hope that it will easily be replaced and more.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Shattenkirk's defensive game is nothing to write home about. Just watch his work on the Avs first goal yesterday.

Trading him set the Avs offensive ability on the blue line back a few years, but watching Elliott and Barrie this last little while has given me hope that it will easily be replaced and more.
Great post.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Anyone else notice that since Johnson got hurt, Hunwick's ice time has gone from 24 minutes a game down to below 20 minutes each game.
Yep. Barrie has gotten the lion's share of minutes. Not complaining, but it is very perplexing Sacco did this and funny it coincides with more frequent wins.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Yep. Barrie has gotten the lion's share of minutes. Not complaining, but it is very perplexing Sacco did this and funny it coincides with more frequent wins.
It's no coincidence: NO Johnson + less Hunwick + more Barrie = More wins.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Yep, totally. Trade EJ and watch us win the President's trophy because he's the cancer on our blue line.

When in reality it's funny because we're winning since Sacco is playing our good defenders more than our bad defenders and nothing more than that. Hunwick and Zanon as TOI leaders = loss. Barrie and EJ as TOI leaders = win.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Just like its no coincidence the Avs are 7-14-4 with O'Reilly and 8-9-3 without him. Quick trade them both!

Old
04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
iceberg

I say trade Johnson + Varlamov, we clearly don't need them to get wins. Get prospects and picks.

BTW... keep Zanon he got the most ice time yesterday.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Avs71

Quote:
I say trade Johnson + Varlamov, we clearly don't need them to get wins. Get prospects and picks.
And O'Reilly too.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Great post.
Also look at all the soft minutes he plays as well. I do admit he probably has the better shot of the 3 including over Elliott's wrister, but he's looking soso good because of playing against 2nd, 3rd line players and defensive groups.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
And O'Reilly too.
Sure, why not?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
ABasin

Quote:
I don't believe it's a coincidence at all. The introduction of Barrie and Elliott into the lineup has completely changed the offensive flow out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone. They both move the puck (or skate it) quite well - most certainly better than any other non-EJ defensemen on the roster. And both of them are displaying point play that not a single defenseman on the roster has shown this season, and that includes EJ. They just need to learn to play defense at the NHL level.

BTW, in the last several games, I'm happy to see Elliott elevating one part of his play that I saw as a big problem last season. Last year, he showed good skating and stick skills, but he kept skating himself (and thus, the puck) into really bad places on the ice. I don't see him doing that nearly as much during this latest call-up.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
I don't believe it's a coincidence at all. The introduction of Barrie and Elliott into the lineup has completely changed the offensive flow out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone. They both move the puck (or skate it) quite well - most certainly better than any other non-EJ defensemen on the roster. And both of them are displaying point play that not a single defenseman on the roster has shown this season, and that includes EJ. They just need to learn to play defense at the NHL level.

BTW, in the last several games, I'm happy to see Elliott elevating one part of his play that I saw as a big problem last season. Last year, he showed good skating and stick skills, but he kept skating himself (and thus, the puck) into really bad places on the ice. I don't see him doing that nearly as much during this latest call-up.
Didn't say it was a coincidence. I said it was funny that it coincided together... like anyone with half a brain (read: Not Sacco) would recognize.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
ABasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Also look at all the soft minutes he plays as well. I do admit he probably has the better shot of the 3 including over Elliott's wrister, but he's looking soso good because of playing against 2nd, 3rd line players and defensive groups.
I'm afraid you guys are pushing the homer button a little bit here.

First, we're favorably comparing (and even equating) either of two rookies with a few weeks of solid play, to someone with 200 games of NHL experience? I suggest we keep some perspective here.

Second, in April (up until last night), StL allowed 14 goals in 11 games, with Shattenkirk playing 18-19 minutes of 2nd pairing defense per game. That's neither soft nor 'nothing to write home about'. If StL plays defense like that, they're going to be a team no one wants to play in the postseason.

It'll be interesting to see how they play defense in the next game, because they looked pretty shaky in their own end last night. Their defensive zone play looked kind of like Colorado's has for most of the season.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:58 AM
ABasin

Quote:
Didn't say it was a coincidence. I said it was funny that it coincided together... like anyone with half a brain (read: Not Sacco) would recognize.
Of all of the things that can be put at Sacco's feet, IMO this is his biggest fault of this season.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Of all of the things that can be put at Sacco's feet, IMO this is his biggest fault of this season.
Eh, I'd argue if needed he was handicapped by too many veteran defensive contracts and he never had the option to keep both Stef and Tyson up until now. Sherman certainly needs to make room for them next year, but I don' think he will.

Sacco mishandled EJ, Varly, Staz and Jones to worse extents imo. Staz as shutdown center?? EJ getting less than 20 some nights?? Giggy not coming in sooner when Varly was struggling?

All viable questions for his court martial which ultimately can go as simply as "Sorry Joe, you lost the team's confidence and it's time for us to go in a new direction."

Old
04-22-2013, 12:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I'm afraid you guys are pushing the homer button a little bit here.

First, we're favorably comparing (and even equating) either of two rookies with a few weeks of solid play, to someone with 200 games of NHL experience? I suggest we keep some perspective here.

Second, in April (up until last night), StL allowed 14 goals in 11 games, with Shattenkirk playing 18-19 minutes of 2nd pairing defense per game. That's neither soft nor 'nothing to write home about'. If StL plays defense like that, they're going to be a team no one wants to play in the postseason.

It'll be interesting to see how they play defense in the next game, because they looked pretty shaky in their own end last night. Their defensive zone play looked kind of like Colorado's has for most of the season.
Maybe we are, but due to all the trashtalking, homerism, and overhyped from Blues fans the last couple of seasons, I don't think we're being homers over Shattenkirk.

Also IMO besides #27, Polak has been the second best defender on that team and something our team desperately lacks.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote