HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread Part II (assigned to Québec)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Per Darcy, he is eligible for the Calder Cup playoffs. Good news.
Let's hope Darcy is correct ....

Old
04-16-2013, 06:42 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Patrick Roy says if Grigorenko is sent back to the QMJHL next season, he won't play for Quebec because he'll never be able to get a guarantee from Buffalo. So he prefers drafting another young player.

Quebec has a good chance of hosting the Memorial Cup 2015 so Roy probably hopes Grigorenko gets sent back and he can cash in on his return by trading him. If not, at least he'll have the chance to develop a player during two seasons before the Mem Cup.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/q...igorenko.shtml
Good on Roy.
I wouldn't want to deal with Regier and his indecisiveness either.

Also, this could possibly create an interesting situation.
If he was released outright, I believe he'd be eligible to play in the AHL next season.
It's a bit of a grey area to say the least since these CHL-NHL agreement is not public, but this is what I've heard before.

Of course, this doesn't apply if he's just traded or released and subsequently picked again in the Import Draft (see: Makarov).

Old
04-16-2013, 06:56 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Good on Roy.
I wouldn't want to deal with Regier and his indecisiveness either.

Also, this could possibly create an interesting situation.
If he was released outright, I believe he'd be eligible to play in the AHL next season.
It's a bit of a grey area to say the least since these CHL-NHL agreement is not public, but this is what I've heard before.

Of course, this doesn't apply if he's just traded or released and subsequently picked again in the Import Draft (see: Makarov).
It sounds like Roy wants to trade Grigorenko for a boatload of picks or recently drafted kids so he has some assets he can expect to play a few years for him. I highly doubt he would simply release him.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:03 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
It sounds like Roy wants to trade Grigorenko for a boatload of picks or recently drafted kids so he has some assets he can expect to play a few years for him. I highly doubt he would simply release him.
It depends what teams hear from Regier on the odds of Grigorenko returning to junior.
I'd guess that he'll get mostly conditional picks, but teams may not be interested in using a Euro slot on him if he's unlikely to report (not sure if the 1st round NHL exemption still applies).

Old
04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
wunderpanda

-from hockeybuzz-
Quote:
Mikhail Grigorenko will indeed take the place of injured forward Pat Kaleta on Monday night when Winnipeg comes calling. He will also play against Pittsburgh and NY Islanders.

Ron Rolston said as much after today's practice, per Buffalo News.

"For a guy like Mikhail who will be in there, again with another opportunity to do what he needs to do to be a member of this team and be somebody who can help us be successful, it’ll be an opportunity for him," interim coach Ron Rolston said.

"We’re going to see these next three games with Mikhail. He’s got skill. You watch him out there, he’s got big skill. It’s going to be all, just like the rest of them that we ask them every game and every practice, just the compete.

"So we’re going to see the next three games where that’s at and then continue the evaluation."
Will be interesting to see how he does. The story mentioned skating with Hecht and Gerbe, suppose thats better than John Scott.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
-from hockeybuzz-

Will be interesting to see how he does. The story mentioned skating with Hecht and Gerbe, suppose thats better than John Scott.
Hopefully he plays 15 minutes with a little bit of pp.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Hopefully he plays 15 minutes with a little bit of pp.
Hopefully he earns his playing time instead of just floating around.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
OkimLom

I actually this is the perfect timing for him to be playing. I say let him play with Flynn and Porter, two guys who work very hard. Its not the best offensive players, but it gives him a sense that these two kids, who work their tail off, get more ice time because they're competing. These two kids are also his Competition for Roster Spots(not saying the spots he vying for are the 4th line duties) and what better way to impress the coaches, than to show you learned to work hard for your time, and work harder than two kids, who have nothing to lose, who want to take your place.

I hope he comes with a better compete level, because his skill is there. I think a strong Offseason Training Program and Training Camp will do wonders for him.

Please Cody take Mikhail with you along with a few other guys.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
I actually this is the perfect timing for him to be playing. I say let him play with Flynn and Porter, two guys who work very hard. Its not the best offensive players, but it gives him a sense that these two kids, who work their tail off, get more ice time because they're competing. These two kids are also his Competition for Roster Spots(not saying the spots he vying for are the 4th line duties) and what better way to impress the coaches, than to show you learned to work hard for your time, and work harder than two kids, who have nothing to lose, who want to take your place.

I hope he comes with a better compete level, because his skill is there. I think a strong Offseason Training Program and Training Camp will do wonders for him.

Please Cody take Mikhail with you along with a few other guys.
Rolston is using Flynn and Porter as his d-zone start/harder competition guys right now. I think that would just highlight his lack of experience in that regard.

If we're picking possible linemates for him, Hecht and Gerbe certainly haven't shown the ability to generate much of anything that isn't mostly flukey or in Gerbe's non-Panther games, anything from 59' from the net. Foligno-Stafford seem like a pair who can -- hell Stafford at least gets shots from dangerous scoring areas even if he has had a terrible year in actually converting those chances.

04-22-2013, 10:58 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I'd like to see a few "**** it" lines for a period, just to see if they click.

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek: I know Marcus has done virtually nothing to deserve first line minutes, but he played well with Hodgson for the first 20 games of the AHL season and they've barely seen ice together since.
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford: Gives Grigo a puck-carrying linemate so he can focus more heavily on positioning rather than possession. Additionally, if Ennis-Stafford click he shouldn't have to do a ton.
Ott-Porter-Flynn: I remain unconvinced either the C or RW is an NHL forward (Flynn is winning me over, though), but keep giving them heavy defensive minutes against teams trying to make the playoffs. Excelling in these situations is how both are going to make the league full-time.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Rolston is using Flynn and Porter as his d-zone start/harder competition guys right now. I think that would just highlight his lack of experience in that regard.

If we're picking possible linemates for him, Hecht and Gerbe certainly haven't shown the ability to generate much of anything that isn't mostly flukey or in Gerbe's non-Panther games, anything from 59' from the net. Foligno-Stafford seem like a pair who can -- hell Stafford at least gets shots from dangerous scoring areas even if he has had a terrible year in actually converting those chances.
I see your point, but the fact we are out of the playoffs, this is the time to get your kids some quality experience in areas they're weak in to understand what they did wrong to learn for next year. I think it would give Mikhail experience he needs to learn from.

I wouldn't mind if the kids made mistakes this year, because it gives them something to learn from and strive for. I'd rather see them make the mistakes this year and see them correct and implement them next year. These three games are enough where the coaches can just let them play hockey. Let them enjoy whats left and let them take risks. These kids will have to learn to play vs better competition at some point. We can't keep sheltering them. If they can't handle or don't strive to overcome their faults then they don't have a place on the team. We are in a position where we have a ton of inexperienced kids that are on the cusp of breaking through on the team give them the chance to show what they can do. Of course this is my opinion on the matter.

I agree with playing Grigorenko with Foligno and Stafford. I wanted to see this last time he played up here. But they were still with Ennis, I think, at that time in the middle of Ruff trying to get a spark out of them.

With Foligno's recent play at center I would think that maybe having Grigorenko on the wing, for now would be a good idea with a Grigorenko's ability to control the half wall in Quebec, and the ability for Foligno to get engaged in the play more, I think having Stafford there as another big body can get the line going. Stafford and Foligno, are probably the best talents Grigorenko would play with this season.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek: I know Marcus has done virtually nothing to deserve first line minutes, but he played well with Hodgson for the first 20 games of the AHL season and they've barely seen ice together since.
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford: Gives Grigo a puck-carrying linemate so he can focus more heavily on positioning rather than possession. Additionally, if Ennis-Stafford click he shouldn't have to do a ton.
Ott-Porter-Flynn: I remain unconvinced either the C or RW is an NHL forward (Flynn is winning me over, though), but keep giving them heavy defensive minutes against teams trying to make the playoffs. Excelling in these situations is how both are going to make the league full-time.
Like these lines a lot actually; could switch Foligno and Ott if necessary

Old
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

I'd support that experiment. We've got nothing to play for other than pride, so may as well give some of the kids more prominent roles and see if they can shine there.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I'd support that experiment. We've got nothing to play for other than pride, so may as well give some of the kids more prominent roles and see if they can shine there.
I read that as "more punishment roles".

Old
04-22-2013, 12:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:

That is one slow line.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Djp

Quote:
UMMMMM---we are playing for a higher draft pick......

Old
04-22-2013, 01:02 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
That is one slow line.
our top 6 as a whole is slow as molasses outside of ennis and i guess flynn if he ever had to fill in for an injury there

Old
04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Djp

Grigorenko needs to play with some players with offensive skills. I dont want him riding the 4th line.

I would do:
Vanek-Hodgson-Ennis
Grigorenko-Foligno-Stafford
Ott-Porter-Flynn
Scott-Hecht-Gerbe

Old
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
That is one slow line.
Maybe it forces Foligno to move his feet with some consistency.

Besides, it's not like they had footspeed with Pommer on that line, Hodgson/Vanek are always going to be a duo that get by through quick puck movement and superior positioning, not skating ability. With Pommer (more of those offensive strengths + solid defense) gone, the options are pretty much Ennis (footspeed and creativity but less smarts and no defense), Ott (who can cover defensively for his linemates but slots Foligno or someone else not ready down a line to play top competition with not-solidly NHL forwards) and Marcus.

Also, that's pretty much the only way to get Grigs playing with two guys who are supposedly top six offensive talents and maintain the integrity of the Ott-Porter-Flynn combination as a defensive unit. Unless we're putting Hecht or Gerbe into the top nine...

Old
04-22-2013, 01:47 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Maybe it forces Foligno to move his feet with some consistency.

Besides, it's not like they had footspeed with Pommer on that line, Hodgson/Vanek are always going to be a duo that get by through quick puck movement and superior positioning, not skating ability. With Pommer (more of those offensive strengths + solid defense) gone, the options are pretty much Ennis (footspeed and creativity but less smarts and no defense), Ott (who can cover defensively for his linemates but slots Foligno or someone else not ready down a line to play top competition with not-solidly NHL forwards) and Marcus.

Also, that's pretty much the only way to get Grigs playing with two guys who are supposedly top six offensive talents and maintain the integrity of the Ott-Porter-Flynn combination as a defensive unit. Unless we're putting Hecht or Gerbe into the top nine...
Just making an observation of that line. Lack of speed is a huge problem for this team in general.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I know, I wasn't taking umbridge, just felt like expounding.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Takeo

Could an organization have possibly mismanaged this guy's rookie year any worse than Darcy & Co.?!?

Old
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Could an organization have possibly mismanaged this guy's rookie year any worse than Darcy & Co.?!?
Definitely disappointing that they wasted a year towards his UFA status. As for his on ice development, its too soon to say how this impacts him. But I'm a tad nervous on that front.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
WNY to NoVA

Hey, at least he's not as dumb as that prospect from NJD!

Old
04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
Hey, at least he's not as dumb as that prospect from NJD!
Oh god. When I read that, I lol'd.

Closed Thread