HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 8: Fire This Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Make the same to live in Florida? Cya.

I was offered a job doing and making the exact same/rate in KC, and while I'm sure I'd live way more comfortable, being away from my family - we're Irish, the whole family is within a mile of the Wisconsin border - made it a no go.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:39 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Blue Liner, those are some nice places, especially the second one which also is considerably cheaper. Go for it, dude. Time to start living the dream. Makes me want to try to find a job down there and do it myself. I'd shovel **** to live in that house down there.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Blue Liner

Yeah we're definitely getting our ducks in a row. We're going to go back down there for a long weekend in the next month for the sole purpose of exploring all the areas, looking at houses, seeing how things look, etc.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Blue Liner that second place looks beautiful.

Visited a lot of states, but Florida is by far my favorite.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Blue Liner

We initially had kidded around about southern California, but even in looking at housing there it was just insane. It's so expensive. Florida might not be as "glamorous" but you get a hell of a lot more for you money and the climate is just as nice, if not nicer.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:15 AM
digdug41982

Yeah, that second house in a decent area in Cali would probably be at least $350,000.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
We initially had kidded around about southern California, but even in looking at housing there it was just insane. It's so expensive. Florida might not be as "glamorous" but you get a hell of a lot more for you money and the climate is just as nice, if not nicer.
I'm jealous if you move to Florida. But I don't agree that the climate is as nice there as in California. Not even close IMO. Florida is a humidity tank, where California is more dry heat. It's a lot more comfortable in California IMO.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I'm jealous if you move to Florida. But I don't agree that the climate is as nice there as in California. Not even close IMO. Florida is a humidity tank, where California is more dry heat. It's a lot more comfortable in California IMO.
I agree with this as well. Florida is great, but California has a constant breeze and little humidity.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
I would absolutely agree in the summertime. Florida summers are hot, and I lived in Phoenix and I'd take that dry extreme heat over lesser temp but humid heat. That said, the non-summer months in that area of Florida are warmer than southern California, particularly in the Winter months. Plus being right by the ocean at least there's always a breeze which helps some.

Southern California is also very general. The weather in San Diego is much different than that of LA, and even within San Diego the weather can be drastically different from area to area of the city/metro area.

Either way, both places kick this place's ass.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
digdug41982

Yeah, Chicago is a third world dump compared to the other two, drastic improvement.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Blue Liner

If I was a person of money, I may lean toward southern California. That's a great place to live if you're loaded and can really afford to enjoy the best of what that region has to offer. Money being no object changes things. haha

That said, there's a lot of big money in southern Florida. Especially retired money. Lot of retired millionaires down there. We stayed in the condo in Naples and every car you see is a BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, Bentley, Porsche...it's nuts. Then you have the yachts. Holy.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Sarava

Yeah i'd be all over it if I could. I work in printing and I'd probably be lucky to make half of what I make here down there. I'm in one of those trades where I'm stuck in a big city or else.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Yeah i'd be all over it if I could. I work in printing and I'd probably be lucky to make half of what I make here down there. I'm in one of those trades where I'm stuck in a big city or else.
Yeah her and I are a bit fortunate in that regard.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Had my second round phone interview with Fitch today, I'd say it went pretty well. Didn't make any glaring mistakes and knew all of the technicals. Will probably hear back from them on Thursday or Friday. Fingers crossed.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Considered Florida. Possibility but unlikely.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Cullksinikers

If Blue Liner does move there, we should have a party at his house and have an HF group game when the Hawks play the Panthers or Lightning.

That's if he's down to host a party of at least ten and if I would be among the invited posters.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:45 PM
digdug41982

I can only imagine the look on Blue Liner's girlfriend's face when she answers the door to 10 road weary strangers with suitcases. I think we might all (Blue Liner included) end up camping in the back yard.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Maybe because you guys visited and I lived there for 4 years to go to college but Florida wasn't the best experience to live in. To visit, especially in cold weather months, sure, but the summers suck there, the people tend to be A-holes, things are $$$, and tourism while helping some business, sucks when the town becomes overrun.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Maybe because you guys visited and I lived there for 4 years to go to college but Florida wasn't the best experience to live in. To visit, especially in cold weather months, sure, but the summers suck there, the people tend to be A-holes, things are $$$, and tourism while helping some business, sucks when the town becomes overrun.
Also, jorts. Jorts aplenty.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:55 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Change "Florida" to "Chicago" and "summers" to "winters" and it's the same thing. Cost is actually worse here though, it has to be, the blood sucking leeches. So you're left with arguing snow against sandy beaches.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Blue Liner

Yeah coming from Chicago, things being expensive can't get much worse, save for a couple of cities like New York and San Francisco and the like. I found people to be quite pleasant down there as compared to here (and people here generally aren't that bad to begin with). People were friendly, said hello, just seemed to be in a generally better mood than people here.

As for hot summers, I lived in the desert for three years and I always told myself that summer there is essentially my winter. It's hot, so for those three months maybe you don't do much outside and the weather isn't quite desirable. Much like winter here, only winter here lasts much longer than three months and summer here isn't guaranteed to be great, either. I'll deal with a few hot months (when heat doesn't bother me that much to begin with) to have eight or nine months of beauty. Plus, for me, I'll gladly take those hot summer months over shoveling snow and having my body hurt from sub-freezing winds cutting through it. That's what the ocean and my pool will be for.

Again....it all comes down to personal preference.

As for the party...ummmm...yeah. We'll see about that. We'll see who'd actually fly down. Haha.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 04-22-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
RayP

TorMenT, have you seen this? If not, no big spoilers by any means, but some people prefer knowing nothing going in... I thought it was a good sneak peek. It's about a 2 minute clip of nothing but Dexter and Deb talking, and not a trailer for the entire season.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Sevanston

One of the weirdest kids I knew in high school just got rich.

I am both impressed and confused.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
TorMenT, have you seen this? If not, no big spoilers by any means, but some people prefer knowing nothing going in... I thought it was a good sneak peek. It's about a 2 minute clip of nothing but Dexter and Deb talking, and not a trailer for the entire season.

Yawn, drama fest. I just want to see him kill more people.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Yawn, drama fest. I just want to see him kill more people.
Hoping he kills Deb.

Closed Thread