HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do the Rangers make the playoffs this season?: Oddmakers say 65.9%

View Poll Results: Do the Rangers make the playoffs this season?
Yes 190 65.97%
No 98 34.03%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  #276
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
If you're going to prejudge a series based on past performance, I would rather play Montreal where we always lose on the road than play Pittsburgh where we always lose everywhere

That being said, the playoffs are a whole different animal, anything can happen
Hilarious, but sadly true. I heard them comment during the broadcast that the Rangers have never beaten the Penguins in a playoff series. Anyone know what our record is against them?

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
  #277
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hilarious, but sadly true. I heard them comment during the broadcast that the Rangers have never beaten the Penguins in a playoff series. Anyone know what our record is against them?
Lost to them in '89, '92, '96 and '08.

Tried to forget '96 there


Last edited by Bluenote13: 04-22-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
  #278
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hilarious, but sadly true. I heard them comment during the broadcast that the Rangers have never beaten the Penguins in a playoff series. Anyone know what our record is against them?
I can think of 3 series right off the top of my head. 1992, 1996, 2008.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
  #279
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
And apparently 89, which I had forgotten.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
  #280
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Lost to them in '89, '92, and '08.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I can think of 3 series right off the top of my head. 1992, 1996, 2008.
Thanks. So 0-3 in the 45 years both teams have been in the league isn't exactly humiliating.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  #281
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Thanks. So 0-3 in the 45 years both teams have been in the league isn't exactly humiliating.
It'd be 0-4, unless there are earlier matches we're missing. Still, not humiliating. It's not as if any of those teams were particularly similar in makeup. The closest could've been 89 and 92, but you look at the 89 roster and you realize that wasn't really true. Names there included Sandstrom, Mullen, Granato, Lafleur, Dahlen, Greschner, Shaw, DeBlois, Nilan, Petit, Wilson, Froese, and Kisio. Every single one of those players were gone by the 1992 playoffs. Talk about major turnover in 3 years. That's 65% of the roster. Between 92 and 96, the turnover was about the same, although the leadership at least stayed in place (Messier, Graves, Leetch, Richter, Beukeboom)

The Rangers have 4 players remaining on the roster from 08.


Last edited by Tawnos: 04-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  #282
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,729
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hilarious, but sadly true. I heard them comment during the broadcast that the Rangers have never beaten the Penguins in a playoff series. Anyone know what our record is against them?
Regular season its: 117-110-23-8 Rangers

Post season: 16-4 Penguins/ Edit: This in in terms of games. In terms of series, we are 0-4.

Ouch.

__________________
Into the flood again; Same old trip it was back then.
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
  #283
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Regular season its: 117-110-23-8 Rangers

Post season: 16-4 Penguins/ Edit: This in in terms of games. In terms of series, we are 0-4.

Ouch.
The 1992 loss in the 2nd round was a defining moment in Rangers history. That team should've went much further. Thinking of game 4 in that series still makes me feel like I've just been punched in the gut.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
  #284
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
I still say that, had Sean Avery not scored a goal to make it 3-0 in game 1 in '08, we would've won that game and gone on to win that series.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
  #285
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,729
vCash: 50
The 2008 series against the Pens was a profoundly horrific moment in my sports life. I've never been so ****ing angry.

Chris Drury getting high sticked still brings back 'Nam flashbacks.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
  #286
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Do you really want them to play in Montreal and have to win at least 1 game there? I know, they're falling, but they were the worst team in the East last year, and we got spanked when we played in Bell. It's just impossible with this team.
Over Pittsburgh? Absolutely. I also feel Boston will be the team that locks down the #2 spot anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayHustle View Post
There is a chance that it would be Boston and not Montreal as Boston has a game in hand with 1 more ROW and the same points. Also, if the Islanders some how falter to end the season we could get the 6th seed and play Washington
This. Just gain points and get as far up the standings as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
If you're going to prejudge a series based on past performance, I would rather play Montreal where we always lose on the road than play Pittsburgh where we always lose everywhere

That being said, the playoffs are a whole different animal, anything can happen
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
As heinous as we are in Montreal, they are so vastly inferior to Pittsburgh its ridiculous.

I'd take on the Pens, don't get me wrong, but knowing us, the entire team would get healthy just for our series where they'd proceed to to shellack us into the stone age.
Exactly. Pittburgh is so much better than Boston or Montreal it's not even funny.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  #287
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This. Just gain points and get as far up the standings as possible.
Hey, there's still an outside possibility we end up in the 5 seed

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
  #288
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
If any year this is the year to play the Pens first round. They are banged up, 1st round usually an easy time for a #1 ranked team, but this year is different, a tough fast team could upend them easily.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
  #289
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If any year this is the year to play the Pens first round. They are banged up, 1st round usually an easy time for a #1 ranked team, but this year is different, a tough fast team could upend them easily.
I would rather let that team be Ottawa or the Islanders than the Rangers. I am not saying they couldn't beat them, just that I would rather face Boston, Montreal or Washington in the 1st round.

The Pens aren't that banged up anymore are they? Just resting guys at this point.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:55 AM
  #290
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,729
vCash: 50
The only hope I'd have in beating Pittsburgh is if they replicate that travesty of a defensive showing in their series against Philly last year.

Hasek probably killed himself watching that series, and ordered the coroners to bury him atop a moving carousel just so he could spin in his grave to drive my ridiculous hyperbole.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
  #291
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
If, and this is a big if, the Rangers are starting to click like they were for much of last season (basically, before March), then there isn't a team they can't beat in a 7 game series. There is a reason why the team was so good last year. They have the goaltending and the D, combined with the right amount of scoring ability, to play with anyone.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:04 PM
  #292
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
It would also be nice for the Rangers to get back healthy before needing to play the Pens. Staal, Boyle, Dorsett will be needed in that series.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:04 PM
  #293
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would rather let that team be Ottawa or the Islanders than the Rangers. I am not saying they couldn't beat them, just that I would rather face Boston, Montreal or Washington in the 1st round.

The Pens aren't that banged up anymore are they? Just resting guys at this point.
Banged up is banged up this time of year. And now they are just gonna turn it on? I don't think so. Crosby hasn't played in a month. Malkin has been walking dead, shoulder problem those don't heal quickly. Letang is key. Guy has 17 assists in his last 13 games. If it comes down to containing him and their other top talents being half neutralized by injury, their defense is slow and suspect and so is their goaltending throughout this season.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
  #294
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Banged up is banged up this time of year. And now they are just gonna turn it on? I don't think so. Crosby hasn't played in a month. Malkin has been walking dead, shoulder problem those don't heal quickly. Letang is key. Guy has 17 assists in his last 13 games. If it comes down to containing him and their other top talents being half neutralized by injury, their defense is slow and suspect and so is their goaltending throughout this season.
Good, I hope they get knocked out by Ottawa or the Islanders then

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
  #295
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Good, I hope they get knocked out by Ottawa or the Islanders then
I said it weeks ago, the Isles in 8th, Rangers in 6th. If that happens, I can see the Isles beating the Pens. At the very least take them to 7 games and wear those chickens out.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
  #296
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I said it weeks ago, the Isles in 8th, Rangers in 6th. If that happens, I can see the Isles beating the Pens. At the very least take them to 7 games and wear those chickens out.
That would be great. I think a healthy Ottawa team could give the Pens problems as well. Karlsson would be back. They play a similar grinding style with a lot of big bodies. Not sure the Isles defense can match up with the Pens offense.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
  #297
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That would be great. I think a healthy Ottawa team could give the Pens problems as well. Karlsson would be back. They play a similar grinding style with a lot of big bodies. Not sure the Isles defense can match up with the Pens offense.
Yeah I like Ottawa's chances too, good goalie could take them to the next round. Isles defense has played steady if anything. Hamonic, Visnovsky, Strait give them decent two way efforts. That may be all they need if the Isles forwards produce the way they have been.

We talk about the Rangers offense here, but on the Island they have scored 4 or more in 6 of their last 9.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  #298
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah I like Ottawa's chances too, good goalie could take them to the next round. Isles defense has played steady if anything. Hamonic, Visnovsky, Strait give them decent two way efforts. That may be all they need if the Isles forwards produce the way they have been.
Yeah, not saying it would be impossible, but I like the Sens style of play for the playoffs more than the Isles. Just my .02$

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
  #299
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, not saying it would be impossible, but I like the Sens style of play for the playoffs more than the Isles. Just my .02$
Difference is, the Isles have had a great month of hockey, Ottawa has been under .500

One team may be peeking while the other runs out of gas.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
  #300
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Difference is, the Isles have had a great month of hockey, Ottawa has been under .500

One team may be peeking while the other runs out of gas.
Very true. Either one would be just fine as long as it isn't the Rangers. Let another team beat on them for a series.

NYR Viper is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.