Jason Pominville Part II

Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
If we called up any number of teams with an offer of a 1st, 2nd(2014) Hackett and Larsson I wonder what kind of a dman we could have pried away from them.
As it stand we added a guy to toss on the 3rd line..... and for people moaning about Brodziak on the top PP that should have been Coyle's stop since the ****ing start. But because Mike "can't make up his ****ing mind so put Brodz out there" Yeo is a terrible coach is the reason why Coyle wasn't groomed for that role.

Way bigger holes on this team that 1st line RW and those holes were not adressed, STL got two dman, hell most teams made some moves SJS got rid of some dead weight added picks so they can retool on the fly.

We give up 4 prime assets and don't fix a big gaping hole... but we got Brett Clarke to play D, he's so ****ing good he was playing in the AHL and being courted by ****ing Oilers.....

**** this move **** it more and more, **** it **** it **** it
Hell, I'll bet we could get a team's captain for that package

I think it's safe to assume Fletch tried to get us a good d man. It might be better that he didn't if the potential trades were probably as steep as they were.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How about that leadership?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
If we called up any number of teams with an offer of a 1st, 2nd(2014) Hackett and Larsson I wonder what kind of a dman we could have pried away from them.

As it stand we added a guy to toss on the 3rd line..... and for people moaning about Brodziak on the top PP that should have been Coyle's stop since the ****ing start. But because Mike "can't make up his ****ing mind so put Brodz out there" Yeo is a terrible coach is the reason why Coyle wasn't groomed for that role.

Way bigger holes on this team that 1st line RW and those holes were not adressed, STL got two dman, hell most teams made some moves SJS got rid of some dead weight added picks so they can retool on the fly.

We give up 4 prime assets and don't fix a big gaping hole... but we got Brett Clarke to play D, he's so ****ing good he was playing in the AHL and being courted by ****ing Oilers.....

**** this move **** it more and more, **** it **** it **** it
This is exactly how I feel. We traded a VERY large package for a THIRD line winger when it was clear we needed defense help. I absolutely cannot believe that FOUR very high quality pieces netted us slightly better PMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I dunno, I see a guy who's opportunistic with his offense but doesn't create a lot on his own or bring much outside the offense. Doesn't look good defensively or physically. Like a better Pierre-Marc Bouchard.
Exactly. To that end, no one on our team is capable of just creating offense. Parise is the closest but all the offense he creates is by hard work and just pushing it. He never can go coast to coast or really create a good chance with a nice skill play. Same with Koivu.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:54 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Just how many players in this league are actually capable of successfully going coast-to-coast? Not many.

Do you guys think Fletch would go out and get Ovie or something?

Geesus...

And he's not a freakin third line player. Just because he's on our third line now because there has not been time to develop chemistry with the other two on the top line (which kinda makes sense actually) does not mean we get to rip into him with a ridiculous strawman calling him a bloody third line winger.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
This is exactly how I feel. We traded a VERY large package for a THIRD line winger when it was clear we needed defense help. I absolutely cannot believe that FOUR very high quality pieces netted us slightly better PMB.
I'd love to see this comment ripped to shreds on the mainboard.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
You know, I wish I could make a "Is Jason Pominville a 3rd line winger?" thread but I can't.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
CG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Just how many players in this league are actually capable of successfully going coast-to-coast? Not many.

Do you guys think Fletch would go out and get Ovie or something?

Geesus...

And he's not a freakin third line player. Just because he's on our third line now because there has not been time to develop chemistry with the other two on the top line (which kinda makes sense actually) does not mean we get to rip into him with a ridiculous strawman calling him a bloody third line winger.
I don't think anyone expected that. I think most level headed people thought he would go out and try for something the team really needed which was a dman. This team also gave up a heck of a lot for someone that hasn't made much of an impact with regard to this team getting into the playoffs. I agree he's not a 3rd line guy, but the fact that he's on the 3rd line may be more of indictment against Yeo at this point.

CG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
You know, I wish I could make a "Is Jason Pominville a 3rd line winger?" thread but I can't.
To be clear, I don't think Pominville should be or is a third line winger, but hey, that's where Yeo has him. He's clearly better than that but if we aren't playing him on the top two lines, then that technically makes him our third line winger. Maybe I'm off, but generally you should not trade a quality goalie prospect, a quality center prospect, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick to upgrade your third line. Yet that's what we've done.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think he's a third line winger...but he needs a good center to get him going. I think he should be on that second line instead of Seto, who's just awful.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I will agree that we should not be playing this guy on the ****ing third line.

Really Yeo?! Really....

And the results are!! We keep losing...

The results on many of these decisions are what's killing me right now, yet to a large degree we just maintain the status quo.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Vanek is quite the linemate....
Most of his career he played without Vanek.

Vanek was on one line Pominville was on the other.

During his first few years he played with Hecht and Briere while Vanek played with Roy.

Until this year Roy was his center for 95% of his career.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:

Really Yeo?! Really....

And the results are!! We keep losing...

The results on many of these decisions are what's killing me right now, yet to a large degree we just maintain the status quo.
the first line was better with coyle on it, due to them playing together for a good chunk of the year.

Remind me, how many points has poms got since being here? It's not his fault the team is slumping

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
To be clear, I don't think Pominville should be or is a third line winger, but hey, that's where Yeo has him. He's clearly better than that but if we aren't playing him on the top two lines, then that technically makes him our third line winger. Maybe I'm off, but generally you should not trade a quality goalie prospect, a quality center prospect, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick to upgrade your third line. Yet that's what we've done.

Pominville is not a 3rd line player. He a 1st line player. He is a notch below a Kane or Ryan...but still a very good player who averages 25-30 g per year and around 70 points per season. He plays regularly on the PP and PK.

The historical trade value of a frontline player has been a 2 quality propsects + 1st. buffalo did not get any of your teams top 4 propects/U23 players.

It was likely Buffalo asked for Kuemper and settled for Hackett. It was likely a sticking point. To make up for that the teams flipped 2014 picks (MN 2nd for BUF 4th--about 50 spots). I am unsure of AHL/NHL waiver rules but there is talk Hacket would be out of options next season which is why He was pushed.

Minnesota traded from their Goalie depth. They had at least 3 quality young goalies in their system. It appears Hackett was 3rd rated on that list.

In offers for an experienced Dman, the teams likely were asking for Dumba in return. My bet that was what Calgary was asking for JBow.

At the time of the trade Minnesota appeared to be seed #3. Being that high they felt they could challange for the Cup and in worst case the pick would be in the mid 20s (not mid teens like it looks now).

Sure disaster scenario---Minnesota doesnt make the playoffs and then their pick wins the lottery. The likelihood of that is probably about about 1 in 1,000 of happening now.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bouwmeester was traded basically for the equivalent of Brian Connelly, Johan Gustafsson, and a 1st. There was a not a Dumba level prospect involved.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Jbow is making 2mil more a year then Pommers and Calgary was not going to eat any of that contract.

End of why didn't the Wild get Jbow discussion.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

To me, it's a beefed up version of the Kobasew trade.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Hammertime04

Quote:
It baffles me how Pominville is not on the 2nd line with Cullen. If Cullen can turn Seto into a decent player think what Cullen and Pominville could do together.

This might be the next line move as Zucker just got sent down after doing absolutely nothing but turn the puck over.

Hammertime04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime04 View Post
It baffles me how Pominville is not on the 2nd line with Cullen. If Cullen can turn Seto into a decent player think what Cullen and Pominville could do together.

This might be the next line move as Zucker just got sent down after doing absolutely nothing but turn the puck over.
Well obviously the hope was with Cullen back him/Zucker/Seto could get going again. Pominville being on the third line woke that line up from a season long slumber, unfortunately Zucker was way off his game this call up, Seto is still nowhere to be found and Cullen is playing on one leg.

I would actually like to see Cullen center PMB and Pommer.

Put Seto down with Brodz and Clutter.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
To me, it's a beefed up version of the Kobasew trade.

Except for the fact Pominville is a 70 point player..dont mind the fact that he would of lead the Wild in points the last 6 years in a row had he played here and put up his Buffalo numbers.

Yeah Kobasew...no.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:58 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Except for the fact Pominville is a 70 point player..dont mind the fact that he would of lead the Wild in points the last 6 years in a row had he played here and put up his Buffalo numbers.

Yeah Kobasew...no.
Except the concept is the same behind both trades. Both were over payments that filled a minor hole and to give a boost to the team that was sagging. Hence the boosted Chuck Kobasew trade. Pom is a much more dynamic player than Kobasew but the concept behind both the trades are pretty much the same point.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Dudicles

I'm hoping Fletcher made this trade only because he believes he can re-sign Pomminville. It's very possible he couldn't find a worthy D-man/decent trade and got Pom instead as a long term asset because the option was there.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Kenny G

Still think this is a good trade. Very likely we got the best player in the deal without gutting our cupboards. Do we need a dman, yes. But a top line player and kept some of our better prospects. This gives us some great depth to work with next year...

Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Besides Stoner appears to be Mike Yeo's own science project. Something tells me Yeo expects to mold Clayton into a stud, LOL.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Pomminville has chemistry with Brodziak and PMB for some reason. That's why he's on the "third line."

Realistically, we pretty much have two second lines. Sans Clutterbuck, most guys are interchangeable between the second and third lines.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chemistry with Brodziak? Brodz had two goals in a game and zero points otherwise with Pominville.