Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 12:37 PM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyJ View Post
It's simply a difference of opinion. There's nothing in the rules that says you cant discuss conspiracy theories. Some people believe different things. So long as it's not being used in a malicious way, they should stay.
It is malicious considering that it is an insult to a grieving community and the law enforcement officers that worked so hard to find the perpetrators. Imagine being an MIT, Boston, Cambridge, or Watertown cop who put his/her life on the line, only to come to HF to see people question his/her efforts.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Did anyone else see these clowns when the camera showed an obviously emotional fan during Sweet Caroline at the Rangers game yesterday? It happened when they were changing out a pane of glass. I noticed it when it happened, but missed the bum patting part.

In fairness, the woman was crying until it became clear she was on camera/jumbotron, and then she started jumping around like crazy and seemed happier. We all cope with things differently, but I found that whole segment to be weird.
That is just a whole lot of weird

Old
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
It's simply a difference of opinion. There's nothing in the rules that says you cant discuss conspiracy theories. Some people believe different things. So long as it's not being used in a malicious way, they should stay.
We are still burying our dead here.

If you want to discuss craziness HF still offers you a place to do it. There are legitimate issues to discuss on this board, and we can also use a place to vent and share the myriad of emotions those of us are feeling.

I don't think respecting the wishes of the majority of the board that don't wish to be inundated with what we consider offensive rubbish is too much to ask.

The internet will give you an infinite number of other options to do that, and to much more sympathetic ears.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I keep referring to him as a kid b/c I refuse to use his name.

I don't see what's so hard to understand a/b the public safety exception to Miranda. It isn't like this kid got caught smoking pot in his car.

I'm w/ you, citizen or not, when it's terrorism, treat them as enemy combatants. **** knuckle #2 was an American citizen for 5 minutes. The cleric who counseled the Fort Hood shooter, born US citizen, got all the due process of a hellfire missile from a predator. (BTW, what was the last thing to go through his mind?)

Wait until it is an active cell. People have no idea how lucky we've been. Or, how lucky we just were.
The problem for me comes down to defining terrorism I guess. Property destruction by an animal rights group could technically fall under the legal definition of terrorism I believe, and that wouldn't be an instance where you would want to see someone have their rights as a citizen stripped, at least I wouldn't. That isn't to say they're right in what they did.

When abortion clinics are vandalized, is that considered terrorism? Vandalism of churches and other places of worship?

I don't know the answers, that's why I'm asking. Based on my understanding of how "terrorism" is defined in the US legal system, all of these could technically be considered terrorism.

Seems like it could be a pretty slippery slope and one that ends up being decided by individuals. Not necessarily a clean, black and white answer it seems.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:47 PM
CDJ*

Well, I mean, he is not an enemy combatant so that is not surprising. He is a domestic terrorist. He lived here. He is a citizen. He's gonna get a trial with exclusively a judge I imagine. And it still will end as poorly as a trial with a jury of his "peers" (I use the word peers here loosely because he is a piece of **** and dog **** is a more realistic peer of his).

Old
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

If ******** #2 really ran over his brother when the police had taken him alive, does that get him murder as well?

Imagine if the police had gotten both of them alive, that would have been incredible and very helpful.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Believe what you want. But the mods won't tolerate conspiracy theory stuff here. Take it to the politics forum.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

You guys probably already know but....

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged in federal court with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death.
The statutory charges authorize a penalty, upon conviction, of death or imprisonment for life or any term of years, according to a statement from the Department of Justice.
Tsarnaev had his initial court appearance today from his hospital room.
Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN.com, CNN TV and CNN Mobile.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
At some point, dont you do something so bad that you lose those rights? I know the answer is no, but TBH I dont care about his rights...
Not so fast.

Being an American citizen does NOT grant you a blank check without fear of losing constitutional rights. You take up arms against your country and you can be treated as an enemy combatant.

Technically, the united states is involved in a "war on terror", and with the possibility of these two turds being affiliated with/acting on behalf of foreign terrorists then they could/should be treated as enemy combatants.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Shaun
beauty

Did naked guy ever get his pants back?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
If ******** #2 really ran over his brother when the police had taken him alive, does that get him murder as well?

Imagine if the police had gotten both of them alive, that would have been incredible and very helpful.
worse.
they can actually get him on a federal charge for Carjacking resulting in death (his bro) which the penalty is Death.

Imagine that? The irony would be hysterical.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
BB624

Here is the copy of the Criminal Complaint filed

http://twitdoc.com/view.asp?id=92411...dn286l9z63kxbo

Old
04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
The problem for me comes down to defining terrorism I guess. Property destruction by an animal rights group could technically fall under the legal definition of terrorism I believe, and that wouldn't be an instance where you would want to see someone have their rights as a citizen stripped, at least I wouldn't. That isn't to say they're right in what they did.

When abortion clinics are vandalized, is that considered terrorism? Vandalism of churches and other places of worship?

I don't know the answers, that's why I'm asking. Based on my understanding of how "terrorism" is defined in the US legal system, all of these could technically be considered terrorism.

Seems like it could be a pretty slippery slope and one that ends up being decided by individuals. Not necessarily a clean, black and white answer it seems.
You're worried a/b precedence. So am I. No accident all those trauma surgeons were ready at those hospitals. No coincidence you saw all those disparate agencies act in concert so succinctly, under a single command structure, to achieve a single objective. Anyone who works in Public Safety will tell you, this was nothing short of a miracle. But it wasn't a miracle. All of the above prepared, trained, and planned for this. Additional to that, professionals work day and night to prevent this from ever happening. Yet, these two still couldn't be stopped once they put their plan in motion. Even despite a heads up from the Russians.

Slippery slopes go both ways. These two walking stool samples killed 3 people and injured 100+ w/ 2 pressure cookers. They also managed to shut down a whole city. I'm not even going into the ramifications of that. I'm worried a/b when it's a truck w/ 2000 pounds of explosives that kills hundreds. Or a genuine active cell, w/ multiple trucks. Say we get lucky, like we have been for 12 years, interdict and catch one of them. Want to treat fanatical terrorists like bank robbers and people who get caught w/ a joint in their car? This is what the public safety exception to Miranda is for. But I don't think it's enough.

Let them lawyer up, clam up, then watch a city block and hundreds of innocent people go up? All because we couldn't figure out how to draw the distinction between terrorists, and those who the laws were really meant to protect? The innocent.

It's 2013, the nuclear genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. A fission device and centrifuges are 1940's technology. Today it's only a matter of attaining the materials. Another 20 years? Wait until it's a whole city, maybe then it will be enough to draw the distinction. Because at that point? You can pretty much take the bill of rights, stick it in a vault, kiss it goodbye, and save it for a smarter generation.

I'm not saying they should crumple up the constitution. But they need to introduce some sort of legislation in specific regard to terrorism, and in all forms, ratified by the supreme court. And, do it before we're in a another situation like this.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:21 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
This is what the public safety exception to Miranda is for.

I'm not saying they should crumple up the constitution. But they need to introduce some sort of legislation in specific regard to terrorism, and in all forms, ratified by the supreme court. And, do it before we're in a another situation like this.
Neely08,
Don't you think we've got exactly what we need to do exactly what you suggest.

Example. The public safety provision should/could allow enough time to figure out who these turds were involved with. And when you get that answer you try them as enemy combatants.

To me, its more about having the guts to use the law. Unfortunately, politics gets in the way (not being political here).

Old
04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Take your difference of opinion to the political forum. This thread is not the place for that sort of thing.

04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Canadian police about to announce arrests in a thwarted terrorist attack (just announced on fox)

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...93L0YW20130422

Quote:
TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian police and intelligence agencies are to announce multiple arrests on Monday after an operation to thwart a "major terrorist attack," the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation said on Monday, citing unnamed "highly placed" sources.The operation was coordinated with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, CBC said.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Neely08

Canada a/b to announce that they thwarted a major terror attack.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Neely08,
Don't you think we've got exactly what we need to do exactly what you suggest.

Example. The public safety provision should/could allow enough time to figure out who these turds were involved with. And when you get that answer you try them as enemy combatants.

To me, its more about having the guts to use the law. Unfortunately, politics gets in the way (not being political here).
Public safety exception isn't indefinite, it's 48 hours. They have to hold out for 48 hours. That's it.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
worse.
they can actually get him on a federal charge for Carjacking resulting in death (his bro) which the penalty is Death.

Imagine that? The irony would be hysterical.
I've been hoping he'd be charged for his bro's death for a while now. Just because.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:26 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
48 hours. They have to hold out for 48 hours. That's it.
Ok. I could be wrong, but I thought it could be extended if they have sufficient proof that the suspects were affilated with "the enemy".

I.E the older turds trip to russia/russia's tip on his "activities". If not, then thats where I would address any new laws. Extend that 48hours

Old
04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post

If anyone dies during the commission of a felony, it's felony murder. So he should indirectly be charged with the murder of a police officer.

Old
blackngold4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
Here is the copy of the Criminal Complaint filed

http://twitdoc.com/view.asp?id=92411...dn286l9z63kxbo
This kid left the clothes he wore during the bombing in his dorm room. What a moron. From the sounds of the video taken from the Forum they have this kid dead to rights.

Old
BoyntBergie

Quote:
You're worried a/b precedence. So am I. No accident all those trauma surgeons were ready at those hospitals. No coincidence you saw all those disparate agencies act in concert so succinctly, under a single command structure, to achieve a single objective. Anyone who works in Public Safety will tell you, this was nothing short of a miracle. But it wasn't a miracle. All of the above prepared, trained, and planned for this. Additional to that, professionals work day and night to prevent this from ever happening. Yet, these two still couldn't be stopped once they put their plan in motion. Even despite a heads up from the Russians.

Slippery slopes go both ways. These two walking stool samples killed 3 people and injured 100+ w/ 2 pressure cookers. They also managed to shut down a whole city. I'm not even going into the ramifications of that. I'm worried a/b when it's a truck w/ 2000 pounds of explosives that kills hundreds. Or a genuine active cell, w/ multiple trucks. Say we get lucky, like we have been for 12 years, interdict and catch one of them. Want to treat fanatical terrorists like bank robbers and people who get caught w/ a joint in their car? This is what the public safety exception to Miranda is for. But I don't think it's enough.

Let them lawyer up, clam up, then watch a city block and hundreds of innocent people go up? All because we couldn't figure out how to draw the distinction between terrorists, and those who the laws were really meant to protect? The innocent.

It's 2013, the nuclear genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. A fission device and centrifuges are 1940's technology. Today it's only a matter of attaining the materials. Another 20 years? Wait until it's a whole city, maybe then it will be enough to draw the distinction. Because at that point? You can pretty much take the bill of rights, stick it in a vault, kiss it goodbye, and save it for a smarter generation.

I don't think you are but everything you said prior** would somewhat require just that to be done. I don't say that as a criticism, and I mostly agree with you. It just goes to show how dicey this is.

Neither of us are lawyers, but it seems that if either of us are remotely correct, some new laws need to be introduced and quickly.

Also, the nuke thing. Look at #2 on this list. Remember reading about this a while back, scary stuff.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dirtybomb/chrono.html

** Edit- Not everything you said, just the suspending their citizen rights bit. I admittedly know next to nothing about the public safety exception.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:32 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Canada a/b to announce that they thwarted a major terror attack.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...c-arrests.html

not much info yet.....

2 people arrested. 1 in ontario and 1 in quebec

Old
04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Marathon bombing suspect, charged in federal court with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction
Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property in the United States resulting in death, the US attorney’s office in Boston said this afternoon.

Tsarnaev’s initial court appearance was conducted today by a federal magistrate judge in his hospital room, said Gary H. Wente, circuit executive for the federal courts in the First Circuit.

Tsarnaev also faces a charge of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death, prosecutors said.

The charges carry the possibility of the death penalty or life in prison for the 19-year-old man, who is in serious condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

The federal public defender’s office has been assigned to the case. Miriam Conrad, the chief public defender, had no comment.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...SXM/story.html

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Closed Thread