HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty9494 View Post
Heres a proposal for you guys that I think will be unpopular to many oil fans but in the end will be better for our team. I think MacT's "bold move" will be moving Eberle as i believe hes the most expendable young player and forward that will bring in a lot of value.

Oilers:
Eberle (maybe add something it depends)

To

L.A.
Voynov
Bernier
Awful, the Kings would have to add, and there's NOTHING to suggest that Bernier is a better starting goalie then Dubnyk.

Why not just try to get the Kings bigness and try to get Nolan and King for Eberle, ugh.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
When I hear the word impatient come from MacT's presser, I think of trades like these happening...

Eberle ---> Duchene
Paajarvi + 2013 1st ---> Lucic
Gagner + 2014 1st ---> Enstrom
Nicely done MacT!

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Lucic - Duchene - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones
Petrell - Lander - Hartikainen

Enstrom - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - N. Schultz

Old
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
WSH has too many d-men, so Orlov could be dealt. Take Schultz out and they still have Green, Alzner, Carlsson, Eskine, Hillen, Oleksy, Kundratek for next year. Depending what happens this year in the playoffs with the Caps and then add Laich/Riberio who could be gone next year, you could see an Orlov being dealt for help up front.
Hillen is a tweener as is Oleksy, though I see what you're saying. I still don't see a reason they move him, he looks like a nice fit in their young core back there.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Ya i don't see them buying out more than 2
I should've said big salary guys. They might buy out some smaller guys that aren't fits, but bigger salaries they'll try trade.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
What types of players would be realistically able to acquire with our potential top 5 pick, probably 6 or 7. With Mact saying that he would make bold and risky moves you have to believe this isn't of the table. Any bonafide top 4 d or big top 6 players that we may look at for our pick? I know it would be good to add another prospect but that leaves us in the same place,as NHL talent wise, as this year.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Justin Schultz (5th year post-draft):
21:26, -15, 0.20 ESP/Game in 44gp

Jeff Petry (6th year post-draft):
21:45, -7, 0.26 ESP/Game in 73gp

Tom Gilbert (6th year post-draft):
22:11, -6, 0.27 ESP/Game in 82gp

Am I the only one who doesn't see why Justin Schultz is part of the "must-keep" group? He's on pace to be -30 in a full season.
Do you actually want us to answer that?

Old
04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Do you think the Oilers could pry Fowler away from the Ducks with this years 1st and Gagner as the centre piece?

Anaheim needs a #2C to play behind Getzlaf after this year.

I know it would create a giant hole at centre for the Oilers but hypothetically is the value there or would Oilers have to add. Lets assume the Oilers lose a couple more times and are picking top 5 in the draft.
Absolutely not giving Gagner + our 2013 1st for Fowler. Not sure i'd swap Gagner alone for him currently, let alone adding Monahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Currently Bickell ranks 12th among forwards for TOI/G on the Blackhawks so I don't think he should be handed a 3rd line spot. But thats the beauty about depth and having players that can move up and down the line-up freely, something we have not had for ages.
How would Bickell not be an immediate fit on our 3rd line? Just because he isn't getting top ice time for arguably the best team in the league doesn't mean he's not a good player. If you watch the Hawks play he is constantly making good plays around the net, really solid in his own end, fast, good along the boards.

I'd love a 3rd line of Bickell-Horcoff-MPS for next season.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
When I hear the word impatient come from MacT's presser, I think of trades like these happening...

Eberle ---> Duchene
I wouldn't rush to trade my 2014 pick. Next year we will be in the re-aligned, and perhaps tougher division. The way this team's d and 3/4th lines are looking; we will look a lot more like Tampa Bay next year than Chicago/Pittsburg.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Nicely done MacT!

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Lucic - Duchene - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones
Petrell - Lander - Hartikainen

Enstrom - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - N. Schultz
...and we'd still have the leagues worst bottom-6.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Usual_Suspect

Bozak's expected salary demands are $5M plus. Not sure why people are still penciling him in as an option for Edm. Especially as 3rd line C.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:47 PM
BowDangles

Quote:

Eberle ---> Duchene
I don't know about this deal.. I wonder if Colorado would do it or if Edmonton would do it...Duchene has one more year at 3.5mil before a big raise, Eberle is locked in at 6 mil for the foreseeable future.

I would be very hesitant to trade Eberle. Individual scoring chances say that both Eberle and RNH are having a better season than last year, they are just experiencing low shooting percentages, i.e...bad luck.

I can even count how many open nets Eberle missed this year that he would bury last year and in the AHL at the beginning of the year.

I do wonder if his broken finger is affecting him. If it is than trading him this summer would be a massive mistake...

Old
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Bozak's expected salary demands are $5M plus. Not sure why people are still penciling him in as an option for Edm. Especially as 3rd line C.
Stupid ROR is inflating every body's contracts... If Bozak gets anywhere north of 4mil a year who ever signs him to that should instantly quit.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:55 PM
belair

Well let's hope Bozak doesn't point to Gagner having illusions of grandeur. I couldn't imagine what this board would be like with him making 5m+ a year.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Stupid ROR is inflating every body's contracts... If Bozak gets anywhere north of 4mil a year who ever signs him to that should instantly quit.
Can't see him getting any less as a UFA. If he stays in Toronto that's about the only way I see it being 4mil or less.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Can't see him getting any less as a UFA. If he stays in Toronto that's about the only way I see it being 4mil or less.
TO media is saying $5M to stay in TO. More if he goes elsewhere.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Because he's a rookie with **** for veteran support?
I know that you dislike Schultz (which you have made clear as day since the moment he was signed and by your manipulation of his stats) but to label him as expendable after a struggling rookie year defensively is pretty ridiculous, no?
He didn't say that. He just said that Schultz hasn't earned himself a spot as one of the untouchables.

It shouldn't be that controversial. Schultz hasn't killed it on the ice. No reason for everyone to act like he can walk on water.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
tv14

What top-4 dmen are available? We have surprisingly, a ton of trading chips (outside our young guns) that can be used to land one. I'm tired of people saying that we have to give up one of our top players to get one, and its evident that you can get solid (not star) players affordably and thats just what we should be looking at. Trades like Bouwmeester and Methot vouch for this. As much as I'm a fan of Hemsky (still my favourite player) I am finally realizing that he must be dealt for help on the backend, its a sad but cold hard reality. If I am MacT, here is my trade block for a solid (not all-star) top-4 dman (or two).

Hemsky
2013 1st
ANA 2013 2nd
EDM 2013 2nd
Hartikainen/Lander
one of Musil/Marinicin/Gernat (we have a ton of depth with defensive prospects and could afford to lose one)
Gagner/Paajarvi (limited availability)

You look at previous trades, especially ones that happen at the draft an that is ALOT of value there. Here are some of last years deals. Ribeiro for Eakin+2nd. Staal for Sutter+Dumoulin+1st. JVR for Schenn. Z Michalek for 2 prospects+3rd. Visnovksy for 2nd. Bobrovsky for 2nd+4th+4th. We easily have the pieces to make a splash or two, its just a question if MacT will get it done. My question, is what players (specifically dmen) could be available at this years draft?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
He didn't say that. He just said that Schultz hasn't earned himself a spot as one of the untouchables.

It shouldn't be that controversial. Schultz hasn't killed it on the ice. No reason for everyone to act like he can walk on water.
This.

To me an "untouchable" defenseman should be future top pairing potential.

Schultz to me is similar to Petry/Gilbert in overall impact as a rookie. He's a great PP defenseman, top10 in the league IMO. But the guy for all he does doesn't even lead our blueline in ESP. And from pure observation alone he's just been just as poor as Nick Schultz in his own end.

I just don't get the hype

Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
This.

Schultz to me is similar to Petry/Gilbert in overall impact as a rookie. He's a great PP defenseman, top10 in the league IMO. But the guy for all he does doesn't even lead our blueline in ESP. And from pure observation alone he's just been just as poor as Nick Schultz in his own end.

Schultz, Justin, has had his struggles, but the high end talent is there, and fairly obvious imo.

You not getting the hype, to me, is a bit more of a representation of your play "evaluation" standards more then anything else. He should be an untouchable at this point, no question in my mind.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:

Am I the only one who doesn't see why Justin Schultz is part of the "must-keep" group? He's on pace to be -30 in a full season.
Karlsson was -30 his second year.

Argument destroyed.

Next.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:

He is the only rookie dman to win defenceman of the year in the Ahl. He did that while playing half a season. I think that cuts him some slack. He then gets thrown into top 4 NHL mins!?!?.. He has been mismanaged and definately isn't the finished product.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
This.

Defensive pairings often work as a unit. If one partner is lacking in an area, the other partner needs to pick up that slack. Schultz isn't a worldclass all-around defender, he has a specific skill set. N. Schultz exposes JSchultz's weaknesses, but that shouldn't be a black mark on him. Schultz just needs an ideal partner. Not getting him one is asset mismanagement (Which we should all be used to by now) on par with Hemsky back when he had no worthy linemates.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
What top-4 dmen are available? We have surprisingly, a ton of trading chips (outside our young guns) that can be used to land one. I'm tired of people saying that we have to give up one of our top players to get one, and its evident that you can get solid (not star) players affordably and thats just what we should be looking at. Trades like Bouwmeester and Methot vouch for this. As much as I'm a fan of Hemsky (still my favourite player) I am finally realizing that he must be dealt for help on the backend, its a sad but cold hard reality. If I am MacT, here is my trade block for a solid (not all-star) top-4 dman (or two).

Hemsky
2013 1st
ANA 2013 2nd
EDM 2013 2nd
Hartikainen/Lander
one of Musil/Marinicin/Gernat (we have a ton of depth with defensive prospects and could afford to lose one)
Gagner/Paajarvi (limited availability)

You look at previous trades, especially ones that happen at the draft an that is ALOT of value there. Here are some of last years deals. Ribeiro for Eakin+2nd. Staal for Sutter+Dumoulin+1st. JVR for Schenn. Z Michalek for 2 prospects+3rd. Visnovksy for 2nd. Bobrovsky for 2nd+4th+4th. We easily have the pieces to make a splash or two, its just a question if MacT will get it done. My question, is what players (specifically dmen) could be available at this years draft?
I don't think Hemsky is going to attract very much from around the league. His play has regressed and he has a 5mil cap hit for next year where the cap is coming down...

I do think we will see some action at the draft though. Or at least I hope we will. Unless someone out of the top four falls I would like to see the Oilers deal it for a defence man.

The difference in this situation and the majority you stated is that the Oilers 1st rnd pick will likely be top 5..

Old
04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
This.

You can just see by watching him that he has the potential to control play much more than Gilbert or Petry did in their rookie season. You don't have to be a fan of the kid which is fine but to use a stupid stat like +/- PROJECTED over a full season to show that he's overhyped doesn't really do much to further your argument.

This is a rookie coming from college who had to get used to a quirky AHL schedule and now a quirky NHL schedule and was thrust into big responsibility pretty much right off the bat paired with a veteran whose best days are clearly behind him. He was very good in the first half of the season and hit the wall head on in the second half of the season which is to be expected of a rookie especially on this team which has little support to properly shelter him and allow him to play his game.
The fact that Nick has been as poor as Justin says more about Nick's decline moreso than Justin's inability.

AGAIN, he's a ROOKIE on a **** team, what else did you expect from him? You're manipulating a +/- stat to indicate that he's now expendable, overhyped and doesn't even have top pairing potential.
The reality is that he has tons of potential and just needs to be placed in the right situation with the right coaching to succeed. Lets hope that MacT brings in some good veteran support in the offseason to help Schultz along with his development.
If the Oilers brass decides that Klefbom is a suitable partner for him as early as next season then his development could very well go off the rails.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Full of huge question marks right now as to who'll be available because it all depends on the buyouts this summer + the UFA market and whether the players the Oilers target will be interested in coming to Edmonton (same old story... anyone of decent calibre likely won't come to Edmonton).

Should be a very active draft and summer. I expect the Oilers will want to be very aggressive in making changes... but whether they land significant pieces remains to be seen.

Closed Thread