HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 12:44 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
fairly realistic I'd say, really if we end up with Barkov this is what I expect a couple seasons from now if we somehow manage to keep Tlusty without destroying our cap.

Tlusty - E Staal - Semin
Skinner - J Staal - Barkov
?????? - Rask - Ruutu
?????? - Nash - ??????

in a sense he'd be a much better fit here then Drouin for what we need.

Is there any contractual issue with Barkov, or would he be able to come over and play right away? With his size and experience in the Finnish league, he's certainly capable of playing right away.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Not that I know of, or at least nothing that should cause his stock to slip ala Nichushkin. Worst case there is he probably spends next year ripping the FEL a new one before coming over to whoever drafts him.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Not that I know of, or at least nothing that should cause his stock to slip ala Nichushkin. Worst case there is he probably spends next year ripping the FEL a new one before coming over to whoever drafts him.
I believe you are correct. Last time I checked there is an out in ALL Finnish Elite League contracts that allow a player to come to the NHL at their own choosing.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Well, at least we didn't draft Matteau

Old
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

If we are not top 3, I think Barkov is the next best option. I always disregard Rask on the roster for some reason. Any chance he makes it next season? I know he's been dominating WHL.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
If we are not top 3, I think Barkov is the next best option. I always disregard Rask on the roster for some reason. Any chance he makes it next season? I know he's been dominating WHL.
SHOULD be in the AHL to start next season, but depending on what happens in free agency there's a chance that he does make it.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Well, at least we didn't draft Matteau
What a weird story... Gotta think he's back in the NHL anyway next year though, so not a huge deal I wouldn't think.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
bleedgreen

Yeah im pretty sure that it means nothing and that we hardly know the full story regardless. How people are hardcore assassinating the kids character already is pretty humorous. He makes the team and pops in a few goals this will be forgotten pretty quick, and I doubt he actually lacks character. The story is kinda funny to me. Screw you guys, I'm riding with the fans. Not like he put himself on a leer jet. The fans probably loved it.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Looking at the replay of that penalty, it's no wonder he was upset over being benched. Not hard to read between the lines and see why he felt like the victim in the situation.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

After reading several scouting reports, I think that going with Nichutskin (or however you spell his name) would be the best.

He's already dominating a Men's League. Stick him on our third line with Dalpe and Ruutu and see how he does.

Staal-Staal-Nichutskin or Staal-Staal-MacKinnon would be amazing IMO.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:37 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
After reading several scouting reports, I think that going with Nichutskin (or however you spell his name) would be the best.

He's already dominating a Men's League. Stick him on our third line with Dalpe and Ruutu and see how he does.

Staal-Staal-Nichutskin or Staal-Staal-MacKinnon would be amazing IMO.
Nichushkin would be competing for the #1 spot if he was not Russian, imo. From what i've heard, scouts are comparing him to Jordan Staal in terms of his frame and how well he uses his body, but he is more of an offensive threat then jordan is.

I also heard that he just signed a new contract and will likely stay in Russia for atleast 2 more years. That is the big drawback on this guy, nobody knows if/when he is going to come over.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I am incredibly high on him. He did himself no favors by signing that ridiculous extension in the KHL, but there again that's how those guys operate over there. Strong arm a 16 year old kid into signing an extension to keep him in your league or force the NHL to pay you money for him with some faux-patriotism act or threats of not being on the national team. I don't fault the kid. Almost every Russian prospect to come out that didn't go to teh CHL has had to deal with these contract buyout situations. Even Malkin. You just draft based on what you know and try to get the best player. I don't think Carolina brass touches him with a ten foot pole, but he should be taken ahead of some of the guys he's being considered with.

I just have this sneaking feeling that Carolina is taking Monahan. Another limited upside, safe pick. The further we fall by winning, the better that chance gets.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Have we taken a "limited upside" pick in a while?

2012: None
2011: Murphy- Boom or Bust
2010: Skinner- Boom or bust
2009: Phillipe Paradise- This wasn't even a "safe" pick, this was a "WTF"????
2008: Boychuk- Boom or bust
2007: Brandon Sutter- limited upside.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Have we taken a "limited upside" pick in a while?

2012: None
2011: Murphy- Boom or Bust
2010: Skinner- Boom or bust
2009: Phillipe Paradise- This wasn't even a "safe" pick, this was a "WTF"????
2008: Boychuk- Boom or bust
2007: Brandon Sutter- limited upside.
Boychuk and Sutter were both classified as some of the safest picks in their draft year. What happened with Boychuk was that his physical edge disappeared at the next level and it cost him promised NHL minutes. I agree that Murphy and Skinner were swing for the fences kind of picks, but I would also classify Paradis as a safe pick based upon what they had him classified as. They thought he was going to be an immediate third line guy and as soon as they got him into camp and saw how far behind he was they cut bait fortunately.

One thing that is consistent here though is the NA aspect of the drafting, which does tend to trend towards "safer" prospects. Not many european players in that bunch. Monahan just seems like the typical Canes draft pick. Captain of his team in his draft year. Two way forward. Good size. It just looks like JR.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I am incredibly high on him. He did himself no favors by signing that ridiculous extension in the KHL, but there again that's how those guys operate over there. Strong arm a 16 year old kid into signing an extension to keep him in your league or force the NHL to pay you money for him with some faux-patriotism act or threats of not being on the national team. I don't fault the kid. Almost every Russian prospect to come out that didn't go to teh CHL has had to deal with these contract buyout situations. Even Malkin. You just draft based on what you know and try to get the best player. I don't think Carolina brass touches him with a ten foot pole, but he should be taken ahead of some of the guys he's being considered with.

I just have this sneaking feeling that Carolina is taking Monahan. Another limited upside, safe pick. The further we fall by winning, the better that chance gets.
I think Monahan is a great prospect, his game reminds me of Jonathan Toews. Not exactly the flashiest or highest skilled prospect you will find, but he always gets the job done and is a leader on the ice.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Roboturner913

Don't mind a "safe" pick at all, as long as he's a second-liner who can play right away. This team needs an immediate contributor.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I honestly still think we go with Nurse if we don't pick top 3. Just gut feeling

Old
04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Jussijuice

One thing to consider with Monahan is he scored a lot of points on a terrible team. He had 31 goals and 78 points, his closest teammate had 40.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I just want to be clear in that I am not saying Monahan would even be a bad pick, i'm just saying he's a typical Canes guy. Sutter wasn't a bad pick either. He was a good one actually.

Monahan has a lot of positive attributes that could help this team, but he's not a dynamic offensive talent. Every year there is a prospect that is a mitigation of risk pick in the top 10 and for me that choice is Monahan this year. Reminds me a bit of the trajectory of Couturier.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
I honestly still think we go with Nurse if we don't pick top 3. Just gut feeling
Nurse and Zadorov would both fill the need of physical, big, imposing Top-4 D. Hard to ignore Zadorov at 6'5", 230 lbs.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Not dissing Nurse, but i just think there are better forward prospects to be had before him. Lindholm, Monahan, Barkov esepcially.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
I just want to be clear in that I am not saying Monahan would even be a bad pick, i'm just saying he's a typical Canes guy. Sutter wasn't a bad pick either. He was a good one actually.

Monahan has a lot of positive attributes that could help this team, but he's not a dynamic offensive talent. Every year there is a prospect that is a mitigation of risk pick in the top 10 and for me that choice is Monahan this year. Reminds me a bit of the trajectory of Couturier.
All true.

If the Canes are in a gambling mood all 3 of Barkov, Lindholm, and Nichushkin have higher offensive upsides and are already showing high end ability in men's leagues.

They can't really go wrong in the top-8 or so.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Nurse and Zadorov would both fill the need of physical, big, imposing Top-4 D. Hard to ignore Zadorov at 6'5", 230 lbs.
The only thing about that is that historically there haven't been a hell of a lot of Russian defenders that play Zadorov's style, and that may scare some teams away. I have heard that teams wanted more physicality out of him for his size and if he's not doing it in Junior, there's a good bet he's not doing it as a professional. Lots of rough edges to his game. Will he wait that long to make the jump before going home?

Old
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
The only thing about that is that historically there haven't been a hell of a lot of Russian defenders that play Zadorov's style, and that may scare some teams away. I have heard that teams wanted more physicality out of him for his size and if he's not doing it in Junior, there's a good bet he's not doing it as a professional. Lots of rough edges to his game. Will he wait that long to make the jump before going home?
That's fair.. Don't want to end up with a Russian Tyler Myers.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
wallym

Quote:
In terms of filling a need, I almost like the guys in the 4-8 range than drouin or makinnon. Bruising dmen, and physically mature centers.

Closed Thread