HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 12:44 PM
  #376
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby
 
BanginLikeaBiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
fairly realistic I'd say, really if we end up with Barkov this is what I expect a couple seasons from now if we somehow manage to keep Tlusty without destroying our cap.

Tlusty - E Staal - Semin
Skinner - J Staal - Barkov
?????? - Rask - Ruutu
?????? - Nash - ??????

in a sense he'd be a much better fit here then Drouin for what we need.

Is there any contractual issue with Barkov, or would he be able to come over and play right away? With his size and experience in the Finnish league, he's certainly capable of playing right away.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
  #377
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,291
vCash: 562
Not that I know of, or at least nothing that should cause his stock to slip ala Nichushkin. Worst case there is he probably spends next year ripping the FEL a new one before coming over to whoever drafts him.

DaveG is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:10 PM
  #378
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not that I know of, or at least nothing that should cause his stock to slip ala Nichushkin. Worst case there is he probably spends next year ripping the FEL a new one before coming over to whoever drafts him.
I believe you are correct. Last time I checked there is an out in ALL Finnish Elite League contracts that allow a player to come to the NHL at their own choosing.

Jussijuice is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
  #379
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,395
vCash: 500
Well, at least we didn't draft Matteau

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
  #380
Yes We Cam
Anton who?
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
If we are not top 3, I think Barkov is the next best option. I always disregard Rask on the roster for some reason. Any chance he makes it next season? I know he's been dominating WHL.

Yes We Cam is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
  #381
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,291
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
If we are not top 3, I think Barkov is the next best option. I always disregard Rask on the roster for some reason. Any chance he makes it next season? I know he's been dominating WHL.
SHOULD be in the AHL to start next season, but depending on what happens in free agency there's a chance that he does make it.

DaveG is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
  #382
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Well, at least we didn't draft Matteau
What a weird story... Gotta think he's back in the NHL anyway next year though, so not a huge deal I wouldn't think.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
  #383
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,816
vCash: 500
Yeah im pretty sure that it means nothing and that we hardly know the full story regardless. How people are hardcore assassinating the kids character already is pretty humorous. He makes the team and pops in a few goals this will be forgotten pretty quick, and I doubt he actually lacks character. The story is kinda funny to me. Screw you guys, I'm riding with the fans. Not like he put himself on a leer jet. The fans probably loved it.

bleedgreen is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM
  #384
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,395
vCash: 500
Looking at the replay of that penalty, it's no wonder he was upset over being benched. Not hard to read between the lines and see why he felt like the victim in the situation.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
  #385
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
After reading several scouting reports, I think that going with Nichutskin (or however you spell his name) would be the best.

He's already dominating a Men's League. Stick him on our third line with Dalpe and Ruutu and see how he does.

Staal-Staal-Nichutskin or Staal-Staal-MacKinnon would be amazing IMO.

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 06:37 PM
  #386
MD
#woofwoof
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
After reading several scouting reports, I think that going with Nichutskin (or however you spell his name) would be the best.

He's already dominating a Men's League. Stick him on our third line with Dalpe and Ruutu and see how he does.

Staal-Staal-Nichutskin or Staal-Staal-MacKinnon would be amazing IMO.
Nichushkin would be competing for the #1 spot if he was not Russian, imo. From what i've heard, scouts are comparing him to Jordan Staal in terms of his frame and how well he uses his body, but he is more of an offensive threat then jordan is.

I also heard that he just signed a new contract and will likely stay in Russia for atleast 2 more years. That is the big drawback on this guy, nobody knows if/when he is going to come over.

MD is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
  #387
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,210
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I am incredibly high on him. He did himself no favors by signing that ridiculous extension in the KHL, but there again that's how those guys operate over there. Strong arm a 16 year old kid into signing an extension to keep him in your league or force the NHL to pay you money for him with some faux-patriotism act or threats of not being on the national team. I don't fault the kid. Almost every Russian prospect to come out that didn't go to teh CHL has had to deal with these contract buyout situations. Even Malkin. You just draft based on what you know and try to get the best player. I don't think Carolina brass touches him with a ten foot pole, but he should be taken ahead of some of the guys he's being considered with.

I just have this sneaking feeling that Carolina is taking Monahan. Another limited upside, safe pick. The further we fall by winning, the better that chance gets.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
  #388
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Have we taken a "limited upside" pick in a while?

2012: None
2011: Murphy- Boom or Bust
2010: Skinner- Boom or bust
2009: Phillipe Paradise- This wasn't even a "safe" pick, this was a "WTF"????
2008: Boychuk- Boom or bust
2007: Brandon Sutter- limited upside.

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
  #389
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,210
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Have we taken a "limited upside" pick in a while?

2012: None
2011: Murphy- Boom or Bust
2010: Skinner- Boom or bust
2009: Phillipe Paradise- This wasn't even a "safe" pick, this was a "WTF"????
2008: Boychuk- Boom or bust
2007: Brandon Sutter- limited upside.
Boychuk and Sutter were both classified as some of the safest picks in their draft year. What happened with Boychuk was that his physical edge disappeared at the next level and it cost him promised NHL minutes. I agree that Murphy and Skinner were swing for the fences kind of picks, but I would also classify Paradis as a safe pick based upon what they had him classified as. They thought he was going to be an immediate third line guy and as soon as they got him into camp and saw how far behind he was they cut bait fortunately.

One thing that is consistent here though is the NA aspect of the drafting, which does tend to trend towards "safer" prospects. Not many european players in that bunch. Monahan just seems like the typical Canes draft pick. Captain of his team in his draft year. Two way forward. Good size. It just looks like JR.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
  #390
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I am incredibly high on him. He did himself no favors by signing that ridiculous extension in the KHL, but there again that's how those guys operate over there. Strong arm a 16 year old kid into signing an extension to keep him in your league or force the NHL to pay you money for him with some faux-patriotism act or threats of not being on the national team. I don't fault the kid. Almost every Russian prospect to come out that didn't go to teh CHL has had to deal with these contract buyout situations. Even Malkin. You just draft based on what you know and try to get the best player. I don't think Carolina brass touches him with a ten foot pole, but he should be taken ahead of some of the guys he's being considered with.

I just have this sneaking feeling that Carolina is taking Monahan. Another limited upside, safe pick. The further we fall by winning, the better that chance gets.
I think Monahan is a great prospect, his game reminds me of Jonathan Toews. Not exactly the flashiest or highest skilled prospect you will find, but he always gets the job done and is a leader on the ice.

Jussijuice is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
  #391
Roboturner913
Registered User
 
Roboturner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
Don't mind a "safe" pick at all, as long as he's a second-liner who can play right away. This team needs an immediate contributor.

Roboturner913 is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
  #392
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,291
vCash: 562
I honestly still think we go with Nurse if we don't pick top 3. Just gut feeling

DaveG is online now  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
  #393
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
One thing to consider with Monahan is he scored a lot of points on a terrible team. He had 31 goals and 78 points, his closest teammate had 40.

Jussijuice is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
  #394
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,210
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I just want to be clear in that I am not saying Monahan would even be a bad pick, i'm just saying he's a typical Canes guy. Sutter wasn't a bad pick either. He was a good one actually.

Monahan has a lot of positive attributes that could help this team, but he's not a dynamic offensive talent. Every year there is a prospect that is a mitigation of risk pick in the top 10 and for me that choice is Monahan this year. Reminds me a bit of the trajectory of Couturier.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:04 PM
  #395
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I honestly still think we go with Nurse if we don't pick top 3. Just gut feeling
Nurse and Zadorov would both fill the need of physical, big, imposing Top-4 D. Hard to ignore Zadorov at 6'5", 230 lbs.

Jussijuice is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
  #396
MD
#woofwoof
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Not dissing Nurse, but i just think there are better forward prospects to be had before him. Lindholm, Monahan, Barkov esepcially.

MD is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
  #397
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I just want to be clear in that I am not saying Monahan would even be a bad pick, i'm just saying he's a typical Canes guy. Sutter wasn't a bad pick either. He was a good one actually.

Monahan has a lot of positive attributes that could help this team, but he's not a dynamic offensive talent. Every year there is a prospect that is a mitigation of risk pick in the top 10 and for me that choice is Monahan this year. Reminds me a bit of the trajectory of Couturier.
All true.

If the Canes are in a gambling mood all 3 of Barkov, Lindholm, and Nichushkin have higher offensive upsides and are already showing high end ability in men's leagues.

They can't really go wrong in the top-8 or so.

Jussijuice is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
  #398
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,210
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Nurse and Zadorov would both fill the need of physical, big, imposing Top-4 D. Hard to ignore Zadorov at 6'5", 230 lbs.
The only thing about that is that historically there haven't been a hell of a lot of Russian defenders that play Zadorov's style, and that may scare some teams away. I have heard that teams wanted more physicality out of him for his size and if he's not doing it in Junior, there's a good bet he's not doing it as a professional. Lots of rough edges to his game. Will he wait that long to make the jump before going home?

Vagrant is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
  #399
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The only thing about that is that historically there haven't been a hell of a lot of Russian defenders that play Zadorov's style, and that may scare some teams away. I have heard that teams wanted more physicality out of him for his size and if he's not doing it in Junior, there's a good bet he's not doing it as a professional. Lots of rough edges to his game. Will he wait that long to make the jump before going home?
That's fair.. Don't want to end up with a Russian Tyler Myers.

Jussijuice is offline  
Old
04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
  #400
wallym
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I honestly still think we go with Nurse if we don't pick top 3. Just gut feeling
In terms of filling a need, I almost like the guys in the 4-8 range than drouin or makinnon. Bruising dmen, and physically mature centers.

wallym is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.