HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Barkov vs Lindholm vs Monahan vs Nichushkin

Old
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmartZing View Post
Shinkaruk is not on the same level of those 4?
I don't think he's as safe a player, honestly. All of these four should play in the NHL at a pretty high level. Shinkaruk has a little higher "risk" factor.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Offensively:
Nichushkin
Lindholm
Barkov
Monahan

Defensively:
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Nichushkin

I think Lindholm would be a perfect fit for Nashville.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Lindholm is also the best skater IMO

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
I feel Nichuskin is gettin waaaay too much credit for his good game vs Canada in the WJC. Not saying he's not a good player but imo he should not be a top 5 pick, Russian factor or not.
I have to agree. A few rankings threw him in the top 3/top 5 and all of a sudden he's the second coming of Jesus. He is good, don't get me wrong, and he has some solid 1st line potential, that's why he's listed as the 3rd best player from Europe. To me it's just funny that the majority of people saying he's this and that have only seen highlights. I've seen him play in the KHL and the WJC. He's good and has a good upside, but Barkov and Lindholm are not only safer picks, but overall better players. Their two-way game combined with their offensive talents and upside are better than Nichuskins. Talent-wise, he shouldn't be top 5, but top 10. Russian factor involved, can go as late as the 15-25 pick.

Last edited by Syan Ruter: 04-22-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Syan Ruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What are Barkov\Lindholm's contract situations for next year?

Are they available to step right into the NHL, if so desired?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

All-round:

1. Barkov
2. Lindholm
3. Monahan
4. Nichushkin

Offensively:

1. Barkov
2. Lindholm
3. Nichushkin
4. Monahan

Defensively:

1. Barkov
2. Monahan
3. Lindholm
4. Nichushkin

I'm not a big Nichushkin fan. I do not believe he'll be an elite talent in the NHL.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:47 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
What are Barkov\Lindholm's contract situations for next year?

Are they available to step right into the NHL, if so desired?
Lindholm has a contract until the end of the 2013-14 season and Barkov until the end of the 2014-15 season.

Both however are available to NHL teams because their countries have transfer agreements with the NHL.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Huffman

Quote:
I feel Nichuskin is gettin waaaay too much credit for his good game vs Canada in the WJC. Not saying he's not a good player but imo he should not be a top 5 pick, Russian factor or not.
Yeah, and his nice rush against the US. Those were his only points that tournament. I think he's a very limited player, size and speed makes him an interesting prospect but he's quite far behind those other guys in terms of hockey sense and creativity.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:31 PM
oilerfan17

For those that know, which wing does Nichushkin play? If it's left, I could see the Oilers being interested, but if not, you can bet the farm they won't take him.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Yeah, and his nice rush against the US. Those were his only points that tournament. I think he's a very limited player, size and speed makes him an interesting prospect but he's quite far behind those other guys in terms of hockey sense and creativity.
This. He's a very powerful skater and he's a big man and he showed that during the WJC. He went wide with speed and tried to drive to the net. But he didn't show anything in terms of playmaking or natural goal-scoring instincts. He was only using his physical tools, which leads to questions about his hockey sense.

To me, watching him, he came across as a selfish player. He held onto the the puck too long, too often and didn't utilized his teammates well in the cycle, or off the rush.

Obviously, my viewings of him are limited to that. But I didn't see a dynamic, offensive force that will score 70-90 points in the NHL, like the hype around him currently would suggest.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
nudpedler

Good posts above about Barkov/Lindhom/Nichuskin.

I would go with:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Barkov
4. Lindholm
5. Drouin

But it can go either way. IMO all the 2-5 are very close each other. Someone values more Barkov's smartness compared to MacKinnon and someone values more MacKinnon's explosiveness compared to Barkov. There isn't "top3 and the rests" for me. Jones as a first pick and then lotto between 2-5 picks.

nudpedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:19 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudpedler View Post
Good posts above about Barkov/Lindhom/Nichuskin.

I would go with:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Barkov
4. Lindholm
5. Drouin

But it can go either way. IMO all the 2-5 are very close each other. Someone values more Barkov's smartness compared to MacKinnon and someone values more MacKinnon's explosiveness compared to Barkov. There isn't "top3 and the rests" for me. Jones as a first pick and then lotto between 2-5 picks.
If Drouin is still on the board at #5, Lou better swing a deal to move up. Something like our 1st + Merrill would probably be enough to jump a couple of spots and if it isn't, I'd add Tedenby or a 2014 2nd round pick if need be... or both, I just want Drouin on the left wing alongside Kovy on the right side.

Drouin is going to be a freaking stud and I'd be shocked if didn't go in the top #3 but stranger things have happend in the past, so who knows.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:29 AM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I've heard Barkov is a great two way player, but is he as good as the rest offensively? The last thing the Preds need is another two-way 40 point center...

Not saying he is one, I've never seen him play. Just want to be sure he has top line center ability.
Think 8/10ths Mats Sundin...he actually plays a bit like Mikko Koivu in Sundin's body. He could settle in as a 50 point centre or he could be an 80-90 point guy. Given his production this year in Finland's first tier and considering for half the season he was playing against a lot of NHLers and was pretty effective, i would safely project a big, two-way centre that can stick 70 points on the board pretty reliably while playing an intelligent, cerebral all-around game. I've been drooling for the Leafs to draft him for ages, but clearly that doesn't look likely at this point

VoicexOfxReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Think 8/10ths Mats Sundin. He could settle in as a 50 point centre or he could be an 80-90 point guy. Given his production this year in Finland's first tier and considering for half the season he was playing against a lot of NHLers and was pretty effective, i would safely project a big, two-way centre that can stick 70 points on the board pretty reliably. I've been drooling for the Leafs to draft him for ages, but clearly that doesn't look likely at this point
How NHL ready is he?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
How NHL ready is he?
He's one of the youngest in the draft, and he's one of the most NHL-ready players. For his age, his game is polished and he could step right in and be a force. For his development, it would be smarter to have him wait at least one more year, considering he's still really young. But compared to the other players in the draft, he's right behind McK, Drouin and Jones in "NHL-readiness"

EDIT: He's also signed for next season in the SM-liiga, if my memory serves me correctly.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
How NHL ready is he?
Remember Jordan Staal's pretty good rookie campaign and how he cracked the NHL at 17 years old? Barkov could very likely do the same thing and put up 15-20 goals and 20-25 assists depending on which team drafts him. I personally would much rather give him the 9 games to whet his appetite, then either put him back in SM or AHL (whichever he feels less comfortable with) and tell him to flat out shred the competition. The nice thing with Barkov is that there's not going to be any period of transition where he has to get used to the size of the ice since most rinks in Finland are around NHL size, some maybe a bit larger.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:12 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeroldEFX View Post
He's one of the youngest in the draft, and he's one of the most NHL-ready players. For his age, his game is polished and he could step right in and be a force. For his development, it would be smarter to have him wait at least one more year, considering he's still really young. But compared to the other players in the draft, he's right behind McK, Drouin and Jones in "NHL-readiness"

EDIT: He's also signed for next season in the SM-liiga, if my memory serves me correctly.
Doesn't he still have to do his military service?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Remember Jordan Staal's pretty good rookie campaign and how he cracked the NHL at 17 years old? Barkov could very likely do the same thing and put up 15-20 goals and 20-25 assists depending on which team drafts him. I personally would much rather give him the 9 games to whet his appetite, then either put him back in SM or AHL (whichever he feels less comfortable with) and tell him to flat out shred the competition. The nice thing with Barkov is that there's not going to be any period of transition where he has to get used to the size of the ice since most rinks in Finland are around NHL size, some maybe a bit larger.
You can't play in the NHL at 17

Last edited by bottomofthefoodchain: 04-24-2013 at 05:10 PM.
bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Doesn't he still have to do his military service?
Yeah, it's mandatory, but there are some loopholes and a lot of athletes manage to either do a shorter military service or completely skip the whole thing. But yes, he has to do it, although he has time until he's 28. Mikko Koivu just recently completed his.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
You're can't play in the NHL at 17
Derp. Thought Staal was 17, he was 18 when he played his first game. Totally forgot rules of age and the draft lol.

Let's say a 16 year old player killing the SEL never filed for draft eligibility. Could a team sign him and play him at that age if he was good enough?

Old
04-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Delicious Pancakes

I think the biggest thing hurting Nichushkin is that he has two more years of KHL contract. If a team is willing to wait though they're going to get a great player. I think if he and Lindholm slip past #6 they could make the teams who drafted earlier regret passing on them.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I've seen Nichushkin listed as both a C and W. Which is his primary position?

I know the other three are all centers, but do/can any of them play winger?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Willting*

Quote:
Think 8/10ths Mats Sundin...he actually plays a bit like Mikko Koivu in Sundin's body. He could settle in as a 50 point centre or he could be an 80-90 point guy. Given his production this year in Finland's first tier and considering for half the season he was playing against a lot of NHLers and was pretty effective, i would safely project a big, two-way centre that can stick 70 points on the board pretty reliably while playing an intelligent, cerebral all-around game. I've been drooling for the Leafs to draft him for ages, but clearly that doesn't look likely at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeroldEFX View Post

These sound like very sound analyses.

Willting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
I've seen Nichushkin listed as both a C and W. Which is his primary position?

I know the other three are all centers, but do/can any of them play winger?
Nichushkin has pretty much designated himself at Winger. I've only seen him play Centre 2 or 3 times this season for a few shifts in an emergency role. He is absolutely primarily a winger.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Koto

has nichushkin said anything that would raise/reduce his russian factor?

what is his contract status? has he stated his intents with regards to the NHL? timeline? openness to AHL?

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
has nichushkin said anything that would raise/reduce his russian factor?

what is his contract status? has he stated his intents with regards to the NHL? timeline? openness to AHL?
he is locked into the KHL for the next two years.

I think teams may be wary of not only another Radulov situation, but another Kuznetsov situation as well.