HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Duchene Vs. Couture

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have on your team?
Duchene 83 68.60%
Couture 38 31.40%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-22-2013, 12:24 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
yada yada yada
Look man, Couture's good and I'd love him on my team. All I'm saying is I think we need to be more selective with how we throw around the word elite. There's only a handful of elite players at any one thing in this league. I've seen Couture a few times, I don't think he's one of those few when it comes to defense amongst forwards.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:26 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Look man, Couture's good and I'd love him on my team. All I'm saying is I think we need to be more selective with how we throw around the word elite. There's only a handful of elite players at any one thing in this league. I've seen Couture a few times, I don't think he's one of those few when it comes to defense amongst forwards.
Regardless of semantics, Couture is better defensively than Duchene.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:28 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Regardless of semantics, Couture is better defensively than Duchene.
I won't disagree with that. Like I said, I'd love to have Couture on my team, but I picked Duchene because I think he has higher offensive potential, and he's more explosive/gamechanging.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:31 AM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
I won't disagree with that. Like I said, I'd love to have Couture on my team, but I picked Duchene because I think he has higher offensive potential, and he's more explosive/gamechanging.
True that, but I'm very happy with Couture as our #1C. I certainly see higher offensive potential in Duchene, but I wouldn't trade Couture for him. I'm just happy as is with Couture, partly because he's my favourite forward.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:32 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Lemme guess, those "few times" you've seen Couture are when your home team plays the Sharks, right? When you watch a player play against your own team, you cannot properly evaluate him. You must watch him against your own team, because not only are you more concerned with what your team's doing, but you're biased, you want to read into the play things that aren't there. It's only natural, that's why many hockey fans have so much trouble separating what they want to see from what's there when they watch their own team, and get so mad when someone says otherwise.

I invite you to watch a Sharks game that does not involve your team, and try a proper evaluation then.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
True that, but I'm very happy with Couture as our #1C. I certainly see higher offensive potential in Duchene, but I wouldn't trade Couture for him. I'm just happy as is with Couture, partly because he's my favourite forward.
If I had Couture I highly doubt I'd trade him for Duchene either. He's actually my favorite Shark, slightly ahead of Burns (the Wild fan in me still loves him).

Old
04-22-2013, 12:36 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Lemme guess, those "few times" you've seen Couture are when your home team plays the Sharks, right? When you watch a player play against your own team, you cannot properly evaluate him. You must watch him against your own team, because not only are you more concerned with what your team's doing, but you're biased, you want to read into the play things that aren't there. It's only natural, that's why many hockey fans have so much trouble separating what they want to see from what's there when they watch their own team, and get so mad when someone says otherwise.

I invite you to watch a Sharks game that does not involve your team, and try a proper evaluation then.
If I'm biased against the Sharks when they play my home team, why aren't you biased for the Sharks when you watch them?

I'm not saying he's bad defensively, I'm saying he's not elite. He's good. Very good, in fact. Still not elite.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:36 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
I agree with that. I'd pick Duchene too. He's more dynamic and is better offensively. He's quicker, he's very shifty in the offensive zone, and he has great hands. I'm just disagreeing with the posters that are saying Duchene is better defensively than Couture or that it's close. It really isn't.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:44 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
If I'm biased against the Sharks when they play my home team, why aren't you biased for the Sharks when you watch them?

I'm not saying he's bad defensively, I'm saying he's not elite. He's good. Very good, in fact. Still not elite.
Because I watch them enough to get over my bias, because I go out of my way to follow one player for a whole shift, not to follow the puck, because I find that's the only way to objectively measure a player (by eye-test, of course. Never discount the numbers as well). Couture is one of my least favorite Sharks, so it's not like I'm pimping my favorite player.

Fine, we can agree to disagree. I'll say this though, if he's not elite, he's on his way there.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Wait, let me get this straight Juxtaposer. You're a Sharks fan...but you're not biased towards them at all? You've managed to get over your bias? Who decided you managed to get over your bias towards your favorite team? You? It's impossible to be unbiased towards your favorite team. Nice try.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:05 AM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Wait, let me get this straight Juxtaposer. You're a Sharks fan...but you're not biased towards them at all? You've managed to get over your bias? Who decided you managed to get over your bias towards your favorite team? You? It's impossible to be unbiased towards your favorite team. Nice try.
It is possible to look at something or someone without bias, it's not hard. It's not like our worlds will change if one of the Sharks players is playing well or not, so why would she HAVE to be biased? No real reason to lie about it.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:20 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
You can overlook bias. Or are you telling me that you can't overlook biases? You can even say I have a bias against Couture, if you truly think one can't overlook bias.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:52 AM
klozge
Avs

Duchene and I don't think it's close.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:18 AM
cgf

lol you can try to be as objective as you can, you can even have some very informative things to say, but no you can't just overlook your bias. That's not how bias works. You see a guy more, you see how his play changes, the understand the context of his successes and struggles better, and you notices trends more acutely, that all biases you, even if you're trying to be objective.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
It's almost like *gasp* someone should teach everyone around here what "elite" means.
So we're arguing semantics? Come on.

I'd put Couture in the same class on the defensieve side as: Kopitar, Pavelski, Hossa, Plekanec, Zajac

So let's call it the tier below elite? Is that going to satisfy you?

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Scott Gomez AINEC

Hatrick Marleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Because I watch them enough to get over my bias, because I go out of my way to follow one player for a whole shift, not to follow the puck, because I find that's the only way to objectively measure a player (by eye-test, of course. Never discount the numbers as well). Couture is one of my least favorite Sharks, so it's not like I'm pimping my favorite player.

Fine, we can agree to disagree. I'll say this though, if he's not elite, he's on his way there.

Not to derail the thread, but what is this all about?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Not to derail the thread, but what is this all about?
Probably because his off-ice persona.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Probably because his off-ice persona.
Probably because he is a tool.

Hatrick Marleau is online now   Reply With Quote