HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #17 - 2013 Offseason/Draft edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 01:46 AM
  #351
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
I would cry in joy if the Jets took Barkley with one of their firsts. It would be a great, great day.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:19 AM
  #352
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
some have Nassib that high with Barkley low and otherwise. Some have both of them high or low.

QBs is a crapshot and it's about how the pro days and team visits worked out
IMO it's more about "positional demand." Even if it isn't a great QB class and the QBs aren't fantastic prospects this year, the QB position is so important to teams (especially those that don't have one) that the position is always in demand --- probably the highest demand --- and thus will tend to go much higher than the prospects warrant.

Likewise, many GMs don't value the Guard position as highly thinking they can either good a quality one in mid rounds, or if one of their tackles busts out they can be moved inside to Guard (ala Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, etc). So even if a prospect is really great at Guard, he may not go high in the draft.

Will be interesting to see if this holds true this year.

Recoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:20 AM
  #353
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I would cry in joy if the Jets took Barkley with one of their firsts. It would be a great, great day.
I'll admit. I'll laugh out loud.

Recoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:12 AM
  #354
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
IMO it's more about "positional demand." Even if it isn't a great QB class and the QBs aren't fantastic prospects this year, the QB position is so important to teams (especially those that don't have one) that the position is always in demand --- probably the highest demand --- and thus will tend to go much higher than the prospects warrant.

Likewise, many GMs don't value the Guard position as highly thinking they can either good a quality one in mid rounds, or if one of their tackles busts out they can be moved inside to Guard (ala Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, etc). So even if a prospect is really great at Guard, he may not go high in the draft.

Will be interesting to see if this holds true this year.
Exactly. Also this is a weak QB pool but if you don't get Smith, Barkley, or Nassib, then it really drops off. So teams may not want to risk that one of those guys are going to be available in the 2nd. So if Smith goes in the top 8, the Jets can't assume Barkley or Nassib will be there at 40.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
  #355
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
I've seen a lot of mocks with the Bears taking Eifert at 20 with Sylvester Williams on the board. I would cry.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
  #356
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Exactly. Also this is a weak QB pool but if you don't get Smith, Barkley, or Nassib, then it really drops off. So teams may not want to risk that one of those guys are going to be available in the 2nd. So if Smith goes in the top 8, the Jets can't assume Barkley or Nassib will be there at 40.
I've heard EJ Manuel is in that mix somewhere too. I think there are 4 QBs that probably should be 2nd rounders, but all 4 could somehow make it into the first. A couple perhaps earlier on, and a couple sneaking in at the end via teams trading up into the 1st to get them.

Recoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
  #357
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I've seen a lot of mocks with the Bears taking Eifert at 20 with Sylvester Williams on the board. I would cry.
I don't know how I'd feel about that. I think Eifert would really help this offense, even with Martellus Bennett, and put points on the board. That said, our three DTs would be Henry Melton, Stephen Paea and Sylvester Williams, and that would be pretty damn solid.

Of course, I'm seeing mocks where both these guys are gone by #20.

Recoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:43 AM
  #358
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I don't know how I'd feel about that. I think Eifert would really help this offense, even with Martellus Bennett, and put points on the board. That said, our three DTs would be Henry Melton, Stephen Paea and Sylvester Williams, and that would be pretty damn solid.

Of course, I'm seeing mocks where both these guys are gone by #20.
I'm thinking ahead since Melton wants huge money, you can't afford to franchise him again next year. If you get Williams and he's really good, you can let Melton walk. We're putting ourselves in the same situation at DT that we did at linebacker where if we lose 1 guy, we have no one in the pipeline. Defensive tackle is just such an important position, you can't go in to next years draft needing to draft a DT.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
  #359
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,458
vCash: 500
or DE with Peppers being cut... or LB or CB. Many holes to fill

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
  #360
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
or DE with Peppers being cut... or LB or CB. Many holes to fill
They aren't cutting Peppers, he is their best defender.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  #361
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
McShay has Eifert going to the Browns at 6 now. Temper your hopes, Culk.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #362
GGGHawks18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Anyone think Jarvis Jones will fall to 20? Him, Peppers, Wooten and McClellin. WOW

GGGHawks18 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  #363
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
McShay has Eifert going to the Browns at 6 now. Temper your hopes, Culk.
McShay is high, but he could easily be gone by 20 and 26 would be a lucky fall. They can take Escobar in round two.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
  #364
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
McShay is high, but he could easily be gone by 20 and 26 would be a lucky fall. They can take Escobar in round two.
Agreed. McShay is REALLY high. But he could go as early as the mid to late teens.

Recoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
  #365
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGHawks18 View Post
Anyone think Jarvis Jones will fall to 20? Him, Peppers, Wooten and McClellin. WOW
No I don't. He should be squarely on the Saints and the Steelers radars. Don't see how he gets past them. Hell now that the Jets have a couple 1st round picks, they could use one of them on him.

Recoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 02:37 PM
  #366
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Agreed. McShay is REALLY high. But he could go as early as the mid to late teens.
I'm under the impression Eifert will go in the second half of the draft. It's fair game from there.

If the Browns want Eifert, they can trade back. Someone is going to offer an extra pick or two this year and/or next to get to number six, so they can gain picks, drop back 7-10 spots, and still get their guy. That'd be the smart thing to do. You get more players and still the guy that you're sold on being a difference-maker for your organization.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  #367
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Apparently, McShay is running the assumption that the Browns trade down to like 12.

Just heard this on Sportscenter

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #368
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
I think the prognosticators are going to be very wrong on this draft. I think you're going players coming out of nowhere being drafted much higher than people think. Wouldn't shock me to see 3 QB's going before 20, 2 wide receivers going before 20, someone like Fluker jumping up into the top 15, 2 or 3 corners going in the top 20. I think this is going to be a wild draft.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  #369
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 26,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I think the prognosticators are going to be very wrong on this draft. I think you're going players coming out of nowhere being drafted much higher than people think. Wouldn't shock me to see 3 QB's going before 20, 2 wide receivers going before 20, someone like Fluker jumping up into the top 15, 2 or 3 corners going in the top 20. I think this is going to be a wild draft.
Absolutely

Even a lot of the mock drafts I've read are all over the place. Some guys are going top 20 or mid 2nd round depending on what mock you are reading.

Gootie is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #370
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Apparently, McShay is running the assumption that the Browns trade down to like 12.

Just heard this on Sportscenter
That's just about what I was saying.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
  #371
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
They aren't cutting Peppers, he is their best defender.
he won't stay with his salary while we need to bring back Cutler, Melton and 2 starting CBs

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:44 PM
  #372
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
he won't stay with his salary while we need to bring back Cutler, Melton and 2 starting CBs
Depending on who they draft and how they perform this season, they may not bring back any of those players long term.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 06:12 PM
  #373
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,326
vCash: 500
if cutler doesn't have a truly good year they need to move on

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
  #374
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
if cutler doesn't have a truly good year they need to move on
This has crossed my mind a lot too, if he doesn't have a really good year and we finish under .500... but then shortly after I try and think who would replace him, and I just don't know. I'm not a big draft guy by any means, but Walter Football currently has 4 QBs in the top 10 next year.

RayP is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
  #375
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
This has crossed my mind a lot too, if he doesn't have a really good year and we finish under .500... but then shortly after I try and think who would replace him, and I just don't know. I'm not a big draft guy by any means, but Walter Football currently has 4 QBs in the top 10 next year.
Teddy Bridgewater and David Fales have franchise QB written all over them.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.