HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
04-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Bears won 4-2 tonight against the Monarchs and clinched the 8th seed in the playoffs. They will face Graham Mink and Chris Bourque in the first round against the Providence Bruins.
Thanks for posting. Your report on Latta is encouraging. You would actually say his skating is "great"? I thought I had read it was an issue, but maybe not. Glad to see they did make it in.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:09 AM
msrulo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Bears won 4-2 tonight against the Monarchs and clinched the 8th seed in the playoffs. They will face Graham Mink and Chris Bourque in the first round against the Providence Bruins.

Thoughts on the players tonight:

1. Grubauer played outstanding. He kept Hershey's lead early with a few stellar saves and overall let in two goals. First goal the ref should have blown the whistle early and the puck came loose. Second goal was a deflection

2. Schmidt's offensive game is very very good. Nice shot from the point and very creative on the PP. He also is a tremendous passer and can lead the breakout well. While his offense is great, his defense and strength needs some work IMO

3. Latta is a nice addition to this team. He is a great skater, very physical, and strong on the puck for his size. He wins a lot of battles in the corners and is great on the PK. His only downfall that I noticed was that he lost a lot of faceoffs. That needs work. I'm really impressed with this guy and I think he can contribute to the Caps very soon

4. Nick Deschamps has been pretty solid from the games I watched. He might not be scoring but he does the little things to help out his line. He is a big boy but he can skate very well and is very fast. He isn't afraid to hit and blocked a few shots (One without a stick on the PK that was amazing). He could be a solid 3rd or 4th line energy guy in the NHL some day.

5. Schilling is still coming along nicely. He is very solid. Didn't notice any flaws tonight with him
Thanks sir. GO BEARS!

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Whole Latta Love!

Thanks HB11. I really think George sees him as critical in winning the trade with Nashville. In the end, we got an experienced player and a young kid near ready to move into the lineup. A top 6 left and a bottom 6 right for a potential top line RW.

If the faceoffs need work, that may not be a problem in the short term. 4RW is a potential landing spot next year, and Beagle and Hendricks (if retained) can cover him as he learns.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:23 AM
msrulo

I can see Latta coming up as soon as next season. I think the bears have a legitimate chance at winning against the providence bruins.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Thanks for posting. Your report on Latta is encouraging. You would actually say his skating is "great"? I thought I had read it was an issue, but maybe not. Glad to see they did make it in.
The two games I saw him play I really didn't see an issue with his skating. His line dominated last night.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I can see Latta coming up as soon as next season. I think the bears have a legitimate chance at winning against the providence bruins.
I agree. They played well against them in the regular season. Providence has a strong goalie but he's a rookie and inexperienced. Hershey needs to win one of the two games in Providence to have a chance.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Providence has a strong goalie but he's a rookie and inexperienced.
Our own Philip Grubauer is in the same boat. Add to that Providence scored more and gave up less goals over the season than Hershey did, and they enter the playoffs on a 9-0 run, thinkg scould get ugly in a hurry.

On the bright side, I've got to believe that this being the playoffs means #19''s done for the year.

Rumblick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Thanks for the report, hb11. Really encouraging to hear the reports on Latta.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I'm quite interested to see Latta at camp next season. He and Wilson will probably be my two most watched forwards; Schilling and Schmidt for D. There's actually quite a bit of talent in the pipeline, and quite a bit of it on D in Hershey.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Let's not forget about Wey as well. Expect he'll be along the Hershey blue line next season.

Regarding Latta and his face off ability, isn't this one of Oates' area of expertise, working with centers one on one and their taking face offs. Recall reading about Oates shipping a number of his sticks to Beagle last summer to help him improve on face offs. I would expect to see Oates taking an interest in Latta the same way.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Let's not forget about Wey as well. Expect he'll be along the Hershey blue line next season.

Regarding Latta and his face off ability, isn't this one of Oates' area of expertise, working with centers one on one and their taking face offs. Recall reading about Oates shipping a number of his sticks to Beagle last summer to help him improve on face offs. I would expect to see Oates taking an interest in Latta the same way.
Yeah, I was thinking the same about the faceoffs. Does anybody have faceoff numbers for the Caps' Cs this season vs previous seasons? Although I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a difference, given that they've really had very few opportunities to practice, and those chances were probably used for other things.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same about the faceoffs. Does anybody have faceoff numbers for the Caps' Cs this season vs previous seasons? Although I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a difference, given that they've really had very few opportunities to practice, and those chances were probably used for other things.
Among guys with 100+ faceoffs this year...

Hendricks:
(53.6 in 11-12)
(53.1 in 10-11 but only 98 taken all year)

Beagle:
(57.7 in 11-12)
(55.2 in 10-11)

Perreault:
(50.8 in 11-12)
(45.6 in 10-11)

Backstrom:
(51.1 in 11-12)
(52.5 in 10-11)

Brouwer:
(45.8 in 11-12 but only 83 taken all year)
(48.0 in 10-11 with CHI but only 25 taken all year)

Ribeiro:
(42.2 in 11-12 with DAL)
(46.6 in 10-11 with DAL)

I don't see anything that suggests Oates has an impact there, because +/- a few % points is almost meaningless over some of these sample sizes.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Our own Philip Grubauer is in the same boat. Add to that Providence scored more and gave up less goals over the season than Hershey did, and they enter the playoffs on a 9-0 run, thinkg scould get ugly in a hurry.

On the bright side, I've got to believe that this being the playoffs means #19''s done for the year.
The game against Providence a few weeks back didn't impress me. I thought the Providence D was pretty weak and their goaltender kept them in the game. If Hershey continues to have 40 shots on goal and crash the net hard like last night and they will have a chance.

Only way Rechlicz sees the ice is if Bobby Robbins starts gooning it up. He ran around like an idiot the last game and Wellar handled him pretty nicely in their bout.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:17 PM
hb11xchamps

Depending on the moves the Caps make in the offseason, Hershey could have a very solid blueline next year. It will be interesting to see who makes the Caps out of Schilling, Orlov, Kundratek, Schmidt, etc

Old
04-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Depending on the moves the Caps make in the offseason, Hershey could have a very solid blueline next year. It will be interesting to see who makes the Caps out of Schilling, Orlov, Kundratek, Schmidt, etc
Assuming none are traded, my money would be on Orlov among the LD crowd. He has the most experience, highest upside, and lowest cap hit of the trio.

As for the right side, at least one of Kundratek, Wey, and Oleksy will be in Hershey next year. Quite possibly two for periods of time.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Chandler Stephenson hasn't played at all?

Old
04-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Chandler Stephenson hasn't played at all?
They sent him home. He practiced for maybe a week or two and they already had a few extra forwards rotating.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Among guys with 100+ faceoffs this year... I don't see anything that suggests Oates has an impact there, because +/- a few % points is almost meaningless over some of these sample sizes.
Right. I'd be more interested to see what it is next year, if there really is an impact. This year they're all within what I would think is a reasonable variance from last year (maybe I should have originally asked for career numbers, too).

Thanks for doing the legwork.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Bears up 1-0 against Baby Bruins. Orlov with a G.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Bears win 5-2, Latta had a goal as well.

Orlov 1st star

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:51 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Just one game, but it would be priceless if the Bears as the 8th seed took this series from the 1st seed Providence Bruins. Shades of the Caps SC Playoff win against Boston last year.

Looking at the Bruins board, posters had the series at being won by Providence in 5 games.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
hb11xchamps

The Bears played well the first half of the game but as soon as they got the lead they seemed to get really lazy and commit stupid turnovers that lead to some Bruins rushes or a stupid penalty. They really can't take dumb penalties against that PP. French needs them to play a full 60 minutes and they can come back to Hershey with the opportunity to close out the series in 3 games.

Grubauer played like an animal. He took a huge hit from a Bruin driving the net and was shaken up but he regained his focus and seemed to play with a vengeance.

Schilling was a rock as always.

The Latta, Garrett Mitchell, and Nick Deschamps line threw their body around and wore out the Bruins for most of the game. That line is playing very very well. Latta had the empty netter to seal the deal.

Schmidt had a few really bad turnovers which was surprising but his offensive game was good again. Needs grooming in his own end

Orlov threw his body around and had a cannon of a shot for a goal. Added an assist later in the game too.

Kundratek played well and lead the breakout. Had a really nice shot in the 2nd period that hit the post.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:01 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just one game, but it would be priceless if the Bears as the 8th seed took this series from the 1st seed Providence Bruins. Shades of the Caps SC Playoff win against Boston last year.

Looking at the Bruins board, posters had the series at being won by Providence in 5 games.
lol.....

Old
04-27-2013, 02:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I didn't know Deschamps was a hitter. Thought the scouting report was more of a speed-oriented type. Nice to hear he can play physical (as well as the whole rest of the line).

Old
04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442
McPhee said #Caps prospects Tom Wilson & Connor Carrick could join #HBH Monday
I assume there's almost no chance of Carrick getting into any games, but is Wilson expected to play?