HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Media Conference w/ Kings Management

Old
09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
not tellin*

vCash: 500
I like it, but *** is with this Armstrong crap?

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Venom_17

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176665&hubname=nhl

I'm glad we have Craig Conway locked up.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 07:46 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Nice read. Is Lombardi talking about our defensive reserve list?
I think he's talking overall. He breaks the team into three age categories and there isn't a lot in the middle group. They've got a bunch of older guys, a bunch of younger guys and not so much in the middle...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
King Blazer

Dean Lombardi:

I think the second thing, one of the problems we have out here in LA is I personally don't like the logistics of having your minor league team five thousand miles away. I think that is a huge problem. I think one of the things in development of young players is not only your coaching but the presence. I think a lot of times when you're that far away, the kids feel that they're not being watched and can wander. It's hard on the coaches to keep them motivated.

Then move the friggin team to Ontario City Deano...

Last edited by King Blazer: 09-06-2006 at 09:14 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Guitpik

Marc Crawford:

"As a player, we don't want our players going out there and thinking about, I have to do this, I have to do that. We want them reacting."

This in itself should be an improvement over last year.

Guitpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 09:55 PM
shaayar78

Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Quick questions....this section of Deans comments was a little choppy in its translation....can someone please tell me what he was exactly trying to say in detail here:

"think it's going to be a blend. That's kind of what I'm seeing. I think there's an area in this reserve list, a certain age group, I use three segments in San Jose. I brought on that before. There's a segment on this reserve list now I find very troubling from the building perspective. It would have to be competitive, allow Marc to take this team as far as he can, but I don't think we can lose sight of what I consider a weak link in this reserve list."

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaayar78 View Post
Quick questions....this section of Deans comments was a little choppy in its translation....can someone please tell me what he was exactly trying to say in detail here:

"think it's going to be a blend. That's kind of what I'm seeing. I think there's an area in this reserve list, a certain age group, I use three segments in San Jose. I brought on that before. There's a segment on this reserve list now I find very troubling from the building perspective. It would have to be competitive, allow Marc to take this team as far as he can, but I don't think we can lose sight of what I consider a weak link in this reserve list."
I think it's the younger guys, middle aged guys and the older guys.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 01:50 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

Crawford excited about rebuilding Kings

TSN.com

For the NHL to increase its fan base in the United States, the league needs strong franchises in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, Crawford said during a telephone conference call Wednesday. That's why joining the Kings, and working with new general manager Dean Lombardi, was so attractive to him.

"If L.A. is a strong franchise, that not only helps hockey in California and maybe in the other southern States, I think it helps the entire league," said Crawford, who was hired in May to replace the fired Andy Murray.

"That's one of the main, exciting reasons why we've ended up coming here. We love the challenges."

When Wayne Gretzky was the king of the Kings, hockey was the hot ticket in Los Angeles. Movie stars and politicians attended the games.

Struggling teams and three seasons out of the playoffs have taken the shine off the club.

Crawford, who was fired by the Vancouver Canucks after missing the playoffs last spring, knows something about rebuilding a franchise.

When he was hired as Vancouver's coach in January 1999, the team had missed the playoffs the previous three years, had a bloated payroll and was losing both fans and money.

With Crawford behind the bench, and Brian Burke as general manager, the Canucks rebuilt themselves on the ice and grew a devoted fan base.

"I do see some parallels," Crawford said in comparing the Kings and Canucks.

"The challenge at the rink is very similar to the ones that we had in Vancouver. This club has not made the playoffs for the last couple of years. People want playoff action."

When Crawford first came to the Canucks, the aging Mark Messier was the team's captain and first-line centre. The Sedin twins hadn't arrived yet and the line of Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrison and Todd Bertuzzi hadn't been formed.

"That group really developed and kind of grew," said Crawford. "I believe that is going to happen here as well."

With training camp ready to open next week, Crawford said he likes the experience and talent he has in veteran players like Craig Conway, Derek Armstrong and Eric Belanger.

The Kings have also added goaltender Dan Cloutier _ who Crawford coached in Vancouver _ veteran defenceman Rob Blake and forwards like Alyn McCauley, Patrick O'Sullivan, Scott Thornton and Brian Willsie.

"We have some very good experience in our forward group," said Crawford. "How our young players develop and emerge really will dictate if we are able to have those types of lines as Vancouver had."

Lombardi also is no stranger to team building. He took over a San Jose Sharks team in 1996 that had won more than 20 games only once in five seasons, then transformed them into a club that won one division tile and twice reached the second round of the playoffs.

Lombardi isn't sure if he'll be able to follow the same slow-and-steady approach in L.A. that worked in northern California. Instead of relying on the draft to develop talent, Lombardi said he may have to use the free-agent market to bring in proven players.

"I am perfectly cognizant that some of the rules I followed in San Jose are probably not applicable," he said. "In this market, I don't think L.A. can afford to fall off the map and pick in the top three (of the draft).

"We have to be competitive (and) allow Marc to take his team as far as we can."

Lombardi said Anschutz Entertainment Group, the Kings' owners, have given him the green light to spend money on players.

Crawford heads into the season confident his team can improve on its 42-36-6 record from last year that left the Kings 10th in the Western Conference, six points out of a playoff spot.

"We're going to have to find ways to be better offensively than this club has been in the past, especially in the area of our power play and penalty kill," he said. "I think we've got a good base of talent and some good leadership."

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielson81 View Post
You know...if there was interest I could record the entire conference call and post it on HF Radio.

Any interest?

Dustin
Ummm YES!!! PLEEEEZZZ!!!

I think this would make a great podcast since the NHL doesn't normally make this available.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
a99tobe

Lombardi Regects interest in Carter, Plus more...

In a pre-season conference call with the NHL media, Kings GM Dean Lombardi said that he has no interest in free agent Anson Carter, one of the few big names left unsigned.
"I think that unless a great deal came up in hit us right in the face, we're going to look at how younger players like Dustin Brown and Mike Cammalleri can make an impact on this year's team," Lombardi said.

He also stated that the Kings are under the cap, "but it's a matter of blowing it out now or waiting until later in the season."

Lombardi admitted that he has the authority to spend up to the cap limit, a strategy not available to the prior Kings administrations.
"Before (head coach Marc Crawford) and I came on board, we got assurances from (Kings owner Phillip) Anschutz, that we would have all the resources available to us for success," he said.

One position on the Los Angeles roster where movement is expected over the next month is in goal, where expected starter Dan Cloutier was brought in via trade and incumbents Mathieu Garon and Jason LaBarbera are eating up cap space. Barring a training camp injury, Garon is the most marketable commodity to other NHL squads.

I think that we don't need 3 goalies and we could get the most out of Garon too.

a99tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Hey Guys,

Just a heads up, I'm going to try and fit as much of the conference call as I can into HF Radio tonight. Live at 9 PM Eastern Time

www.hockeysfutureradio.com

Dustin

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 10:02 PM
riseandfall9

Leadership on the Kings?

I was reading this.... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176665&hubname=nhl and Im asking myself if Marc Crawford is kidding?

"With training camp ready to open next week, Crawford said he likes the experience and talent he has in veteran players like Craig Conroy, Derek Armstrong and Eric Belanger. "

Conroy yes....But Armstrong and Belanger? Belanger is a bottom feeder and cant stay healthy and he critized the hireing of Crawford....And Armstrong had a total of 86 games in 7 seasons where he should have played 574 games. Armstrong is funny he jokes around with the players and is well liked but he doesnt have a steady 10 years in the NHL. 3 Tops. On top of that Crawford talks about Cloutier like hes some kind of Roy/Brodeur... My guess is 10 shifts into the season he begins to hate Belanger and Armstrong

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 10:11 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I was reading this.... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176665&hubname=nhl and Im asking myself if Marc Crawford is kidding?

"With training camp ready to open next week, Crawford said he likes the experience and talent he has in veteran players like Craig Conroy, Derek Armstrong and Eric Belanger. "

Conroy yes....But Armstrong and Belanger? Belanger is a bottom feeder and cant stay healthy and he critized the hireing of Crawford....And Armstrong had a total of 86 games in 7 seasons where he should have played 574 games. Armstrong is funny he jokes around with the players and is well liked but he doesnt have a steady 10 years in the NHL. 3 Tops. On top of that Crawford talks about Cloutier like hes some kind of Roy/Brodeur... My guess is 10 shifts into the season he begins to hate Belanger and Armstrong
they're veterans and should be looked upon to lead by the younger guys. no matter how many games you play, you always look up to someone who always battles and gives it everything they've got. i respect that more than snobby superstars who takes shifts off here and there.

09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
they're veterans and should be looked upon to lead by the younger guys. no matter how many games you play, you always look up to someone who always battles and gives it everything they've got. i respect that more than snobby superstars who takes shifts off here and there.
Good points.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 11:44 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
Maybe hes just building there trade value

Old
09-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Johnny Utah

I'm gonna let DL and MC do there thing and see what happens. The Kings really could use another offensive forward, but it's not for a lack of trying, they did go after Shanny and Elias. I too want to see how Brown or O'Sullivan looks in camp, but putting Derek Armstrong or Eric Belanger into a #2 center spot is not a good idea.

Kings need a top 6 winger or a #2 center, preferrably someone with scoring ability. O'Sullivan and Cammy are gonna play the wing, so forget about that. That's the only thing that worries me. Conroy, Frolov, and Cammy are the only proven top 6 guys. Brown, O'Sullivan are unproven and who knows who is the sixth top 6 forward..Army, Belanger. That's my concern.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 12:16 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I'm gonna let DL and MC do there thing and see what happens. The Kings really could use another offensive forward, but it's not for a lack of trying, they did go after Shanny and Elias. I too want to see how Brown or O'Sullivan looks in camp, but putting Derek Armstrong or Eric Belanger into a #2 center spot is not a good idea.

Kings need a top 6 winger or a #2 center, preferrably someone with scoring ability. O'Sullivan and Cammy are gonna play the wing, so forget about that. That's the only thing that worries me. Conroy, Frolov, and Cammy are the only proven top 6 guys. Brown, O'Sullivan are unproven and who knows who is the sixth top 6 forward..Army, Belanger. That's my concern.
I am also gonna sit back and see what happens. But in all honesty I think the Kings have alot of depth for there 2nd 3rd lines...The Kings arnt far from a very good team at all. The team has tons of 2nd and 3rd line players. Cammaleri , Brown , O`Sullivan , Kopitar , Avery. Belanger isnt even that bad for a 3rd line Center. Alex Frolov is maybe the only first line Winger we have right now. Conroy is up in the air...Hes a great player but getting a little up there in age for a 1st line center. So I think were 1 Top Center and 1 Top Winger away from being a huge force. Weather we get some players via trade or via free agency next season or Kopitar , O`Sullivan ect... make that jump. Fact of the matter is. We have tons of options and thats good when you are rebuilding a team. We have alot of prospects. More then the Ducks. I went down to Anahaim sheet today and was watching there prospects and they dont have much of great reserve lookers. Bobby Ryan and this other dude Russian kid were the really only 2 guys I could see that were looking very good.

As much as I hate that we traded Demitra and overpaid Norstrom ect...We have alot of look forward too and in 10 months I think we`ll be in the best position.