HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Full of huge question marks right now as to who'll be available because it all depends on the buyouts this summer + the UFA market and whether the players the Oilers target will be interested in coming to Edmonton (same old story... anyone of decent calibre likely won't come to Edmonton).

Should be a very active draft and summer. I expect the Oilers will want to be very aggressive in making changes... but whether they land significant pieces remains to be seen.
MacT will probably push hard for Mark Streit (to make Coach K happy) and if he fails there... that's all she wrote.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:27 PM
BowDangles

I wonder how the Oilers would do if the following happened..

Trade Dubynk for Luongo (I assume Van does this, better than Scrivens +2nd)
Trade EDM 2nd + 2014 3rd for Orpik
Trade MPS, 2013 1st for Del Zotto
Trade Ana 2nd for Max Talbot
Trade Ales Hemsky for draft picks (mainly just a salary dump)
Sign David Clarkson (4.5mil for however many years)
Sign Brendan Morrow (2mil for whatever)
resign Gagner for 4.75mil a year
resign Khabbi for 1mil

Clarkson - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Talbot - Horcoff - Morrow
Smyth - Lander - Mike Brown/Hartikinen

Del Zotto - J. Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz - Orpik
Potter (start Klefbom in OKC)

Luongo
Khabbi

This would put the Oilers 500K under the cap for next year.

If only one could dream....

Old
04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
I really believe we would have been able to get Nikitin from Columbus for Hemsky if they hadn't acquired Gaborik.

Jackets are loaded on the backend and Nikitin can be had but I wonder what Columbus would want in return.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

resign Khabbi for 1mil

Clarkson - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov

Del Zotto - J. Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz - Orpik

Luongo
Khabbi

lol ugh with that. Dubnyk for Luongo? Ouch, which kid gets punted to make that deal "work" Yakupov?

Old
04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
What top-4 dmen are available? We have surprisingly, a ton of trading chips (outside our young guns) that can be used to land one. I'm tired of people saying that we have to give up one of our top players to get one, and its evident that you can get solid (not star) players affordably and thats just what we should be looking at. Trades like Bouwmeester and Methot vouch for this. As much as I'm a fan of Hemsky (still my favourite player) I am finally realizing that he must be dealt for help on the backend, its a sad but cold hard reality. If I am MacT, here is my trade block for a solid (not all-star) top-4 dman (or two).

Hemsky
2013 1st
ANA 2013 2nd
EDM 2013 2nd
Hartikainen/Lander
one of Musil/Marinicin/Gernat (we have a ton of depth with defensive prospects and could afford to lose one)
Gagner/Paajarvi (limited availability)

You look at previous trades, especially ones that happen at the draft an that is ALOT of value there. Here are some of last years deals. Ribeiro for Eakin+2nd. Staal for Sutter+Dumoulin+1st. JVR for Schenn. Z Michalek for 2 prospects+3rd. Visnovksy for 2nd. Bobrovsky for 2nd+4th+4th. We easily have the pieces to make a splash or two, its just a question if MacT will get it done. My question, is what players (specifically dmen) could be available at this years draft?
I don't think you ever know what is truly available, but like you pointed out there are guys every year that are dealt that we are unaware of. Not all are options our the best, but there are options.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

resign Khabbi for 1mil

Clarkson - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov

Del Zotto - J. Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz - Orpik

Luongo
Khabbi

The only one of those moves that's in the realm of possibility is Hemsky for picks.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
lol ugh with that. Dubnyk for Luongo? Ouch, which kid gets punted to make that deal "work" Yakupov?
No one would have to be "punted" to take on Luo's contract. RNH and Yakupov both have 3.775 cap hits so lets say they both get up to 6 mil after ELC thats a 2.225mil increase in salary cap.

For both of them to hit the big contract would be an extra 4.5mil. Horcoff comes off the books right away too so that frees up 5+ mil

J Schultz is not going to make 6 mil out of his ELC, it rarely happens with D man unless they are exceptional. Look at PK Subban's deal he signed this summer for an example..

Old
04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
OilerFan4Life

New Jersey and Nashville are the 2 obvious destinations for Hemsky.

Predators don't have a single guy on their roster who can beat someone one-on-one. Fisher and Wilson are good players and Forsberg and Watson have upside but Hemsky is a proven (albeit injury prone) top 6 winger.

4 of the Devils top 6 are UFAs and realistically they'll lose at least 2 of those.

We may have to eat some of that 5 million salary for next season but will it be worth it to get say a Blum or Fayne?

Old
04-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
No one would have to be "punted" to take on Luo's contract. RNH and Yakupov both have 3.775 cap hits so lets say they both get up to 6 mil after ELC thats a 2.225mil increase in salary cap.

For both of them to hit the big contract would be an extra 4.5mil. Horcoff comes off the books right away too so that frees up 5+ mil

J Schultz is not going to make 6 mil out of his ELC, it rarely happens with D man unless they are exceptional. Look at PK Subban's deal he signed this summer for an example..
Ah, so you take on the millstone and just hope the rest of the contracts work out, good plan.

The better plan is to keep Dubnyk, or sign a boughtout Luongo to not a stupid contract.

Edit: Adding Luongo is probably good in the VERY short term, but it's a long term disaster for this team.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
The only one of those moves that's in the realm of possibility is Hemsky for picks.
For our management group I have to sadly agree... Mac T's big bold risky move will be trading Hemsky for a bottom six forward..

Edit: But honestly the Talbot and Orpik deals should not be out of a capable GM's realm of possibility

Last edited by BowDangles: 04-22-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ah, so you take on the millstone and just hope the rest of the contracts work out, good plan.

The better plan is to keep Dubnyk, or sign a boughtout Luongo to not a stupid contract.

Edit: Adding Luongo is probably good in the VERY short term, but it's a long term disaster for this team.
I agree there is risk in Luo's contract, but that risk is at both sides of it. For all we know he could be the next Brodeur and keep his play up till he retires..

Contrary to what most believe he is still a great goaltender. I think he just needs a change of scenery so that he is no longer the whipping boy in Vancouver.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Petro Points

Halak should be a good but not so cheap option for our backup.. Elliott and Allen are good enough for STL. Halak shouldnt cost much considering the $$ he makes.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
I agree there is risk in Luo's contract, but that risk is at both sides of it. For all we know he could be the next Brodeur and keep his play up till he retires..

Contrary to what most believe he is still a great goaltender. I think he just needs a change of scenery so that he is no longer the whipping boy in Vancouver.
No, the risk is ONLY on the Oilers, the risk of losing the young talent they've suffered to get because of a massively overpaid goaltender who hasn't won anything (Not saying Dubnyk has, but he's not making 'Luongo' money)

For that contract 'Whipping boy' or not Luongo isn't worth the risk to the Oilers, not even close.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Defensive pairings often work as a unit. If one partner is lacking in an area, the other partner needs to pick up that slack. Schultz isn't a worldclass all-around defender, he has a specific skill set. N. Schultz exposes JSchultz's weaknesses, but that shouldn't be a black mark on him. Schultz just needs an ideal partner. Not getting him one is asset mismanagement (Which we should all be used to by now) on par with Hemsky back when he had no worthy linemates.
Hmm... Sergei Gonchar is Karlsson's partner in Ottawa right? And I think he's a UFA isn't he?

Old
04-22-2013, 03:30 PM
dnicks17

^

I think it was Methot this year and Kuba last year.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
MacT will probably push hard for Mark Streit (to make Coach K happy) and if he fails there... that's all she wrote.
I'm a little confused. That's "all she wrote" as in he won't pursue anyone else?

Old
04-22-2013, 03:41 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

MPS and what looks to be a top 8 pick is a brutal overpayment for Del Zotto.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Clarkson - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov

Del Zotto - J. Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz - Orpik

Luongo
Khabbi

I don't think it does, it looks like it totals up to $68.7 million, with still one more roster spot (assuming Hartikainen and Potter are two of the three extras.) The max cap will be 64.3 million next year.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Bobblehead

I think Win-Edm could make good trading partners this summer. After we find a good vet second liner center via trade or UFA, make a swap around Gagner for either Bogosian or Byfuglien or Enstrom. Winnipeg has 3 good young guys coming up in Trouba, Redmond and to lesser extent Postma. Their top "official" center, according to TSN is 6th on the team in points and he's a UFA. Gagner would be a good fit.

Gagner, 2nd round pick - Bogosian, Montoya

Old
04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I don't think it does, it looks like it totals up to $68.7 million, with still one more roster spot (assuming Hartikainen and Potter are two of the three extras.) The max cap will be 64.3 million next year.
Is that including bonuses? Because you can go over the cap with bonuses.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:09 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is that including bonuses? Because you can go over the cap with bonuses.
I built that team on cap geek and it ended up being under. The cap hit was over but than there was like 8 mil in bonuses so a portion of that brought it down to just under the 64mil cap.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I think Win-Edm could make good trading partners this summer. After we find a good vet second liner center via trade or UFA, make a swap around Gagner for either Bogosian or Byfuglien or Enstrom. Winnipeg has 3 good young guys coming up in Trouba, Redmond and to lesser extent Postma. Their top "official" center, according to TSN is 6th on the team in points and he's a UFA. Gagner would be a good fit.

Gagner, 2nd round pick - Bogosian, Montoya
Fans love Bogosian.

Most of their fans want to trade Big Buff and Enstrome before Bogosian. Chipman and co. love Bogo too. No chance.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I think that's what Tambellini would have done.

That doesn't sound like "bold changes" that mact had mentioned.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Koto

how is it that our fan base has expanded to view 5 players as untouchable, yet they don't understand the concept on the other side.

bogosian is untouchable along with kane.

and i dont think you can get enstrom or buff for gagner either.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
I built that team on cap geek and it ended up being under. The cap hit was over but than there was like 8 mil in bonuses so a portion of that brought it down to just under the 64mil cap.
ah ok thanks BD. Its always the bonuses that catch me.

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.

c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.

Closed Thread