Explosions at Marathon Part 14

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
bp13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Isn't the idea of what happens after death one really big assumption?
Of course. Not sure I follow your point?

Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Of course. Not sure I follow your point?
Point is, no one has any clue which is worse when we have no tangible idea what goes on in one scenario. It cuts both ways, whether you are pro or anti.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
1. This feels like the kind of thing one could never know, and thus it often acts as a convenient assumption for anti-death penalty folks (not at all suggesting this is your bent).

2. I'm with you on the idea that I want his existence to be the worst one possible, filled with pain, regret and mental and physical anguish the likes of which you wouldn't want to imagine. I just don't want my taxes going towards it if you can't guarantee it. Guarantee it and I'm sold.
Not sure if it's true but I've often seen it cited that putting someone to death costs more tax dollars due to appeals and other courtroom procedures.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Total speculation here, but does anybody know why these two idiots drove to Watertown in the first place?

Only reason this piques my interest is because I was reading the Wikipedia page about the attempted bombing of Times Square in 2010 and noticed the following:

I'm sure it's a random coincidence, but still interesting to note.
On the radio, it sounded like they got on rt 90, then got off. First exit is Watertown. I think they were just trying to lose the State and Boston Police, who were in pursuit. Then Watertown picked them up.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
bp13

Quote:
Point is, no one has any clue which is worse when we have no tangible idea what goes on in one scenario. It cuts both ways, whether you are pro or anti.
Oh I see what you're saying, but I think you misunderstood my point or I didn't make it as clearly as I hoped. I don't want him to face the death penalty because I think it's worse than living in a cell, I just don't want to pay for him to live unless it's guaranteed that his every waking moment is filled with physical and mental anguish. So, we have two options:

1) Pay to keep him alive and hope that solitary confinement leads to that miserable existence (which isn't a guarantee)

2) Kill him and be done with it

I would vote for whichever costs the taxpayers less.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Not sure if it's true but I've often seen it cited that putting someone to death costs more tax dollars due to appeals and other courtroom procedures.
Right I'd heard that too, which would be the only reason I'd vote for life in prison.

It still stuns me we could set up a legal system that is so costly it rivals keeping a prisoner alive for years.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Oh I see what you're saying, but I think you misunderstood my point or I didn't make it as clearly as I hoped. I don't want him to face the death penalty because I think it's worse than living in a cell, I just don't want to pay for him to live unless it's guaranteed that his every waking moment is filled with physical and mental anguish. So, we have two options:

1) Pay to keep him alive and hope that solitary confinement leads to that miserable existence (which isn't a guarantee)

2) Kill him and be done with it

I would vote for whichever costs the taxpayers less.
OK, I get you.

I'm pro death penalty in many cases (this is a pretty good one) but sometimes I just feel like pro death people assume it's an immediate trip to hell. My point was for all we know everyone gets to go to "heaven" or your soul gets to float around in the galaxy remembering the good times in your life like your sixth birthday party or the first time having sex or if you're a sociopath, destroying hundreds of people's lives in one blast. That would not be a fitting punishment IMHO.

Maybe this is too existential for here, but just a thought.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:55 PM
bp13

Quote:
OK, I get you.

I'm pro death penalty in many cases (this is a pretty good one) but sometimes I just feel like pro death people assume it's an immediate trip to hell. My point was for all we know everyone gets to go to "heaven" or your soul gets to float around in the galaxy remembering the good times in your life like your sixth birthday party or the first time having sex or if you're a sociopath, destroying hundreds of people's lives in one blast. That would not be a fitting punishment IMHO.

Maybe this is too existential for here, but just a thought.
Probably yeah. I get depressed any time the topic comes up because I want the guy to get what's coming to him but it depresses me to think I feel that way too. Just an all-around depressing topic.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Didn't we just go through this?
Poor choice of words.

What I mean is, if his testimony could end up saving even one life, it's worth taking him alive. I have no way of knowing that for certain, but you have to proceed that way.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Mione134

The guy will get his in due time. He's a waste of space and he's stealing precious oxygen. I'd love to send him on a one way ticket to mars. Get every possible info from him any way possible, then be done with him.

These people who want to murder us need to be punished. Not coddled in a cell with every thing they need. We have to set an example now. You try something, you do something, you try to get away we WILL find you and you'll regret it.

I'd also like to send all these conspiracy theorists to mars too, but alas...

Old
04-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...tml?ref=topbar

Sucks for her maybe she should have shut the **** up and not put her dumb ass out there so soon.

Quote:
“They are calling us, calling names, threatening, saying it’s time to go home,” Maret told Canada's Sun News. “Yes, it is time. We did not find that promise -- democracy -- in this country. But if I go home, I will go home only with bodies of my nephews.”

“They made our boys enemies of the American nation,” she told Sun News. “They made them victims of the conspiracy. ... They needed somebody to blame for something they committed themselves so they got them. So rejoice people, rejoice."
Go home and see how the Russians deal with loud mouths like you

Old
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not buying that they worked alone. Where did they get the guns? Learn how to build bombs?

Old
04-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Spoon fed

Things to note: He IS an "official" US citizen. He may be tried as a terrorist, but he is still a citizen.

As much as I want him to be "expired", I want him to have his due process. I cannot imagine ANY scenario that could find him free on all counts. He is facing more charges that he could count. Books worth of them. Think of all the laws he broke, in multiple places and against multiple people and establishments.

Once he is officially sentenced, he could stay at one of our fine establishments:
Walpole, Concord, etc. with the fine selection of criminals therein.

Now, just imagine for a moment, how horrible these places are; FILLED with REALLY bad people that have done unimaginable things to get where they are. Now, here comes a skinny little 19 year old teenager, that has killed innocent children and people. He won't last more than a year. If he does, he'll be begging for execution.

This is such a horrible situation for everyone. There are no winners in anyway. If there was ever a case for time travel....

Old
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Still View Post

Once he is officially sentenced, he could stay at one of our fine establishments:

Now, just imagine for a moment, how horrible these places are; FILLED with REALLY bad people that have done unimaginable things to get where they are. Now, here comes a skinny little 19 year old teenager, that has killed innocent children and people. He won't last more than a year. If he does, he'll be begging for execution.
Do people read or do they just post? He WOULD NOT be in general population.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:16 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I'm not buying that they worked alone. Where did they get the guns? Learn how to build bombs?
You can find out how to build bombs in about 2 minutes on the internet, and the guns.....I'd hate to admit it but it is not hard to find a gun illegally.

Although I think all of this knowledge was gained by the older suspects 6 month trip to Russia last year.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Quote:
Or, better yet, how did they afford expensive cars, clothes, etc without any record of having worked anywhere ever...? There's a tweet from the younger brother posting pics of his new Dodge Charger... $900 shoes... Don't think daddy was sending them checks for thousand dollar shoes.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHortonHeat View Post
You can find out how to build bombs in about 2 minutes on the internet, and the guns.....I'd hate to admit it but it is not hard to find a gun illegally.

Although I think all of this knowledge was gained by the older suspects 6 month trip to Russia last year.
I'm sure you can find out how to build a bomb rather easily, but it's not like making a freaking souffle.

Guns, grenades, etc. I'm still not buying they were totally off the reservation by themselves.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHortonHeat View Post

Agreed, those things can be managed alone. However, where did all the money come from? Follow the paper trail, they'll find answers.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Isn't there that book anarchist w/e that tells you how to make bombs? I think a simple google search can tell you how to make bombs as well.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I'm sure you can find out how to build a bomb rather easily, but it's not like making a freaking souffle.

Guns, grenades, etc. I'm still not buying they were totally off the reservation by themselves.
I know nothing of gun laws in Mass. How difficult/easy is it to acquire an AR in state? How much documentation is involved?

04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Isn't there that book anarchist w/e that tells you how to make bombs? I think a simple google search can tell you how to make bombs as well.
I wouldn't recommending googling to find out.

Again, you can read all you want about how to do it. Actually doing it and not blowing yourself up in the process takes a lot of skill (I would assume) and just seems a bit too much of beginner's luck IMO.

Then again, I know nothing about this stuff so could be talking out of my ass. I won't even try a new dessert recipe to bring to a dinner party without testing it out first.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Still View Post
Things to note: He IS an "official" US citizen. He may be tried as a terrorist, but he is still a citizen.

As much as I want him to be "expired", I want him to have his due process. I cannot imagine ANY scenario that could find him free on all counts. He is facing more charges that he could count. Books worth of them. Think of all the laws he broke, in multiple places and against multiple people and establishments.

This is such a horrible situation for everyone. There are no winners in anyway. If there was ever a case for time travel....
Wrong. Federal government assumed jurisdiction. It's a Federal case, he'll face Federal prosecution, and any punishment on the table therein. Including the needle, w/ a wad of cotton the size of your fist stuffed up his blutor, while wearing depends. If he gets life, it's in a federal supermax.

Already saying they'll airlift him out of the hospital out of fear a mob will rip him to pieces. Which is what he really deserves.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I know nothing of gun laws in Mass. How difficult/easy is it to acquire an AR in state? How much documentation is involved?
I don't think they were acquired legally, but from the accounts it seems like there were several. HOW did they get them...WHO sold to them, and HOW did they fund them?

You can buy anything you want nowadays...as long as you have the $$ and the connections. Those are the two things I'm interested in.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
I wouldn't recommending googling to find out.
As I was typing my response I was thinking about that with CISPA and SOPA floating around as well as other internet laws I would never google anything like that.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You have to have a rifle permit, and a background check.

They had neither. Nor a handgun permit.

Closed Thread