HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Old
04-21-2013, 02:10 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya I think he may well make Ottawa and Erie regret their decision of passing on this guy who would have been in their line-up for 3 years. Keep the thread updated, please! much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing him for the 1st time in the All Canadian game in July.
What are the odds of him getting an invite to Ivan hlinka tournament this summer??

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
What are the odds of him getting an invite to Ivan hlinka tournament this summer??
Not likely. Hockey Canada is very conservative and send all their top players to that tournament (this year 1996 born players) They may not even send McDavid because he's already competing in IIHF U18 tournament and they may not see the point in him going back to Europe in august where he could be training for September camp. Realistically I think McDavid has already made the U20 team for this year. (but that's just me) getting back to Day, he's certainly physically mature enough, I'd invite him to camp and if he impresses then why not... but what I would do and what Hockey Canada normally does are 2 entirely different things. Remember, Day hasn't competed against junior elite talent as of yet. So, I'm ok with him going to camp but I don't see the real need to send him into a u18 tournament... although considering most countries don't bother sending their best teams to this event, I'm thinking what harm can it do really.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
William H Bonney

Update: Day's team lost in the semifinals to the East Coast Kings.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Update: Day's team lost in the semifinals to the East Coast Kings.
His hockey season is done? Good! He can get his *** to T.O. and begin workouts with the fitness guru Gary Roberts...put him on the Steven Stamkos workout.

And work on dropping his American accent. Just kidding.. I tease my yankee cousins all the time of course and they me.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:09 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Thanks for posting. That is one incredibly awful song. Was I the only one who muted it after buddy started screaming? Sean's video's should have Mozart playing the background, as a testament to his deliciously beautiful skating.
That's not screaming, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
New highlight vid. Video from some other sources.

That was awesome. Kid is such a smooth skater for his size.

April Ethereal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Not happening. MacDavid wasn't invited last summer, so I can't imagine Day being invited this summer. They'll have all their top 96's at their disposal, so to invite an ES player that is two years their junior and yet to play a game of Major Junior is really asking too much.

His first taste of international competition will be at the World U-17 Challenge over the holidays.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Not happening. MacDavid wasn't invited last summer, so I can't imagine Day being invited this summer. They'll have all their top 96's at their disposal, so to invite an ES player that is two years their junior and yet to play a game of Major Junior is really asking too much.

His first taste of international competition will be at the World U-17 Challenge over the holidays.
not only that...but Day was the 4th player taken in the draft. McDavid was obviously way ahead of everyone else in his draft year.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:53 PM
shello
@WShello9

I'll be seeing a lot of Day next year in Mississauga, looking forward to see how the transition will be for him. It's a shame Percy won't be there, he would've been able to show him a lot of the little things that are required to do well in the OHL.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Can't wait for that tournament

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:14 AM
HabLover

Quote:

How are the 1997's in Ontario for the U17's?

BC and Alberta are loaded and Team Pacific should be stacked a fav for Gold.

Will McDavid be at the U17's or WJC tryouts?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:16 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
How are the 1997's in Ontario for the U17's?

BC and Alberta are loaded and Team Pacific should be stacked a fav for Gold.

Will McDavid be at the U17's or WJC tryouts?

http://www.allcanadians.com/most-rec...-national-camp

The top 1997's in the country. 42% came from the Pacific Region. I don't think that is generally the case.

Ontario's kids are good, but the roster team Pacific could assemble looks incredible.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:23 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Cool, let's keep this about Sean Day and not a music debate between the forums older members and teens.
Thats a great idea. Of all the guys drafted in the 2013 OHL draft, Its Sean Day who I am curious to see how he adjusts most. Thankfully Im only 15 mins from Hershey Center. Ill see the first few home games thats for sure. I think Day will has be fantastic to watch develop. I think he will flourish, in due time. Hopefully he is paired with an 18-19 yr old, stay at home Dman. Percy is probably in the AHL next year, but that would be perfect type of guy as a pairing.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Daneurism

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
http://www.allcanadians.com/most-rec...-national-camp

The top 1997's in the country. 42% came from the Pacific Region. I don't think that is generally the case.

Ontario's kids are good, but the roster team Pacific could assemble looks incredible.
That list is missing some pretty impressive BC players, to boot. Guys like Reddekopp, Stukel, and Kawaguchi.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
You seem almost attracted to his skating.
Almost? I'm in love with it. As are many others who are a fan of world class skating.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:59 AM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

I've only read the last 3-4 posts so don't get mad at me for lack or knowledge but I think he'll play for Canada in the International events and I was also wondering why he went 4th Overall and not first. Konecny is a good player but don't exceptional status players usually go 1st Overall?

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
I've only read the last 3-4 posts so don't get mad at me for lack or knowledge but I think he'll play for Canada in the International events and I was also wondering why he went 4th Overall and not first. Konecny is a good player but don't exceptional status players usually go 1st Overall?
I believe Ottawa was looking for a forward, so they decided to take Konecny.

I have no idea why Erie and Peterborough didn't take him, though.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:52 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Well, a player is going to always be judged relative to others in his draft year - having exceptional status doesn't mean your automatically better than those people.

What happened with Day isn't clear...it got out that he wasn't going to be given exceptional status...and then he got it. It's unknown whether he got it because he deserved it or whether Hockey Canada was caving to some sort of pressure w/ fear he'd go play for the US.

As far as why he dropped, I know there were rumours about his personality ... that he wasn't very mature.

I don't know what his parents told the teams...whether they suggested he wouldn't report to Erie or Peterborough.

As far as Erie goes, Strome's an amazing player, so I'm not surprised they took him.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:08 PM
jfb392

Quote:
I think there's a few reasons..

Limited viewings/limited evaluation when viewing: He played in the Detroit area of course, so some teams may have almost solely relied on tournaments to view he and his teammates, which means they saw him a lot less than anyone playing in Ontario. Even when they saw him, he's an underager and you're paid to scout players that are eligible in the current season. You probably won't pick apart his game but rather jot down a few things since he's a year younger than everyone else. The talk of him looking at ES picked up at the Silver Stick, which at that point the MM season is basically already halfway over. That means little time for serious evaluation, especially when you consider the fact that he didn't play in the province.

Rawness: He's pretty much a blank canvas. He has some amazing tools that basically make his ceiling unlimited, but he needs to learn how to fully utilize them. For example, I believe he has had very little defensive coaching. Either this season or last season was the first one he had serious defensive coaching. This can be looked at as both a positive and a negative. If you look at it positively, he's already an incredible prospect and still has plenty of room for growth. If you look at it negatively, he may not be ready to step into your lineup without some growing pains. The Steelheads obviously looked at it in a positive manner and are willing to help him grow.

Conspiracy: Some think that Branch wanted a star in the GTA and made it happen. I don't really know about that and the other two factors make much more sense.

Character and reporting, as previously mentioned, should not be factors as he was granted ES.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:33 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Limited viewings/limited evaluation when viewing: He played in the Detroit area of course, so some teams may have almost solely relied on tournaments to view he and his teammates, which means they saw him a lot less than anyone playing in Ontario. Even when they saw him, he's an underager and you're paid to scout players that are eligible in the current season. You probably won't pick apart his game but rather jot down a few things since he's a year younger than everyone else. The talk of him looking at ES picked up at the Silver Stick, which at that point the MM season is basically already halfway over. That means little time for serious evaluation, especially when you consider the fact that he didn't play in the province.

Rawness: He's pretty much a blank canvas. He has some amazing tools that basically make his ceiling unlimited, but he needs to learn how to fully utilize them. For example, I believe he has had very little defensive coaching. Either this season or last season was the first one he had serious defensive coaching. This can be looked at as both a positive and a negative. If you look at it positively, he's already an incredible prospect and still has plenty of room for growth. If you look at it negatively, he may not be ready to step into your lineup without some growing pains. The Steelheads obviously looked at it in a positive manner and are willing to help him grow.

Conspiracy: Some think that Branch wanted a star in the GTA and made it happen. I don't really know about that and the other two factors make much more sense.

Character and reporting, as previously mentioned, should not be factors as he was granted ES.
No one really knows. The lead up to him getting ES was quite murky. There were also some stories that commented negatively about his maturity - and they were credible news sources. As far as the reporting issue...that might never have been an issue as it was just my own speculation.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
No one really knows. The lead up to him getting ES was quite murky. There were also some stories that commented negatively about his maturity - and they were credible news sources. As far as the reporting issue...that might never have been an issue as it was just my own speculation.
Like who, The Hockey News?
Their coverage lately speaks for itself, from their fruitless "expansion announced after CBA negotiations", to "Day will be denied ES" just days before he was granted it, to their draft rankings this year that are just a bit off base.
They lose credibility with each passing year it seems.

Everyone seemed to piggyback the THN report and the rest was rumblings from nobodies.
Don't forget, McDavid was apparently going to be denied ES too, once upon a time..
You have to take everything you read about any minor hockey player with a sizable grain of salt.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:54 PM
ForAllOurSins

Not in the nhl yet. Kids a bust.

ForAllOurSins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Nascarfan12

Why didn't his team (Detroit Comp.) play in the OHL Cup. they was ranked like # 4. Lots of scouts would of been able to see his play there.

Nascarfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:21 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Little Caesars, Honeybaked and Compuware are elite programs no matter what other teams you compare them to in the world. These are the organizations he has played at over the years. Players from Lafontaine to Modano to Kane to Fowler to Kesler to Iafrate to Hatcher brothers to Jack Johnson have developed in these three organizations.

So not sure what you mean by blank canvas (the time and money spent to develop his skating from a young age is well known, so I doubt other aspects were ignored) I do not know the coaches personally who have coached his age group through those teams but I find it hard to believe that any of those teams ignored the defensemen side of the game any more than a Toronto Marlie, York Simcoe, organization would have.

So blank canvas in terms of, lacking direction over the years or not being taught the finer points of the defensive game does not fit anywhere near a description for Day. He has had top notch skating coaching, bench coaching and parents who care about his longterm development and have left no stone unturned with regards to that.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 02:49 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan12 View Post
Why didn't his team (Detroit Comp.) play in the OHL Cup. they was ranked like # 4. Lots of scouts would of been able to see his play there.
Unfortunately, the OHL Cup interferes with state playoffs in Michigan and USA Hockey Nationals.
There are sometimes select teams sent made up of kids who are already done playing, but they're never true teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Little Caesars, Honeybaked and Compuware are elite programs no matter what other teams you compare them to in the world. These are the organizations he has played at over the years. Players from Lafontaine to Modano to Kane to Fowler to Kesler to Iafrate to Hatcher brothers to Jack Johnson have developed in these three organizations.

So not sure what you mean by blank canvas (the time and money spent to develop his skating from a young age is well known, so I doubt other aspects were ignored) I do not know the coaches personally who have coached his age group through those teams but I find it hard to believe that any of those teams ignored the defensemen side of the game any more than a Toronto Marlie, York Simcoe, organization would have.

So blank canvas in terms of, lacking direction over the years or not being taught the finer points of the defensive game does not fit anywhere near a description for Day. He has had top notch skating coaching, bench coaching and parents who care about his longterm development and have left no stone unturned with regards to that.
I know that the programs are quality, but he himself has said he was not given much defensive coaching until recently and that's likely because he's a fourth forward type that is incredibly effective without it.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:03 PM
mapleleaf979

*delete

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 06-22-2013 at 08:08 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote