HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger: (Interviewed at Flyers' practice on March 4, 2014)

Old
04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
The Couturier Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
No training. He only has skated a few times on the ice with his kids hockey teams. He still get symptomatic when out there though. Long long road back if he really wants to play again.
I really can't see him playing again, but if there's anyone that can do it, it's Chris Pronger. I'd love to see him take a positon in the organization though. He'd be perfect for scouting/developing defensemen...something the Flyers struggle with.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Yeah...it would be difficult to get back into NHL caliber shape at his age, I'd imagine.

04-17-2013, 08:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Gotta love the guy. Sorry, I don't have a link for the article, but this quote made me smile.
This is the full article and a link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl...sion-symptoms/

Quote:
The man with the beard and glasses looked different than I remembered him. But while sitting down with one of the most menacing defensemen ever to play the game, I began to appreciate the depths of Chris Pronger's internal struggles with the effects of injuries he suffered during NHL games in October and November of 2011: the disorientation of a lingering eye problem caused by a stick to the face as well as the headaches and depression that stemmed from that injury and likely from post-concussion syndrome as well.

For my story entitled Chris Pronger Has a Headache that appears this week in the April 22 edition of Sports Illustrated, the Philadelphia Flyers blueliner detailed the symptoms of his ailments, the aches and pains, and the particular day-to-day challenges of trying to get better. For that story and the above video, he spoke frankly about the depression he felt while often sitting alone in dark and quiet rooms, too susceptible to light and sounds to engage fully with the outside world or even with his family. The simple act of tossing a ball to his kids, he told us, would cause his head to throb because of the motion of his arm.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I am glad he is feeling better. I want him back as much as anyone but I think in the end all we can hope for is that some day he can enjoy his kids and his grandchildren without the PCS.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Flyers845

I'd love to see one more shift. He is the man

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:21 PM
BernieParent

For all the jabs we take at the medical staff, I'm confident they wouldn't green-light Pronger unless he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was healthy and without symptoms ... and even then he'd get an earful from guys like Primeau and Holmgren that he would be taking an enormous risk with his day-to-day function.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

Pronger is on NHL live right now. He said he is back to eating healthy again and is working out some. He still doesn't have his peripheral vision though. He is still going to therapy and is still saying he wants to get healthy and play again. He doesn't know what the future holds but isn't giving up playing. He has had discussions with his agent and thought talks were a little premature(talking about retirement you would assume)

He did say he is getting better though.

I know people will say he shouldn't try to come back and all, but he seems like he is dead set on getting back on the ice. In every interview he continuously states he is trying to get back to 100% and hitting the ice again. I know it's a stretch to think it will happen, I just hope he gets healthy again. He just isn't quitting.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:08 PM
2Claude2Giroux

I think he's doing those things for his own health and not necessarily for him to get back in hockey shape. I don't think it'll ever happen. And I think he's saying those things because he's trying to convince the NHL that's he "coming back" so the Flyers can keep him stashed on LTIR.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
I think he's doing those things for his own health and not necessarily for him to get back in hockey shape. I don't think it'll ever happen. And I think he's saying those things because he's trying to convince the NHL that's he "coming back" so the Flyers can keep him stashed on LTIR.
I've read this suggestion before--but I'm not sure he's under that kind of obligation. He has to report to training camp and not be cleared each year, for certain. I'm not sure he really has to do anything more than that, does he?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
For all the jabs we take at the medical staff, I'm confident they wouldn't green-light Pronger unless he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was healthy and without symptoms ... and even then he'd get an earful from guys like Primeau and Holmgren that he would be taking an enormous risk with his day-to-day function.
I wish they hadn't green lighted him to come back so soon after the eye injury. He should have sat out at least a few months after that.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
With Pronger, even though it seems illogical... I somehow feel like he will play in the league again, just as he is such a proud, character kind of guy he will want to prove to himself that he can, even if it is just one game. Just something about his personality screams that if he were able to come back from this, even for one game as a kind of 'send-off' to finish on his own terms, he would do so, I can imagine he would do anything to ensure his last moment on NHL ice was not coming off the way he did, not for anyone else, just for himself.

I would not bet on that happening, but as many have said, if any player could do such a thing, it would be him.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:03 AM
WeekendAtBernies

It seems like it might actually end up being the lack of peripheral vision that truly stops him from returning, not the PCS.

Regardless of whether he plays again or not, it's good to hear he's getting better. But man, I'd kill to see him take one more shift in Orange and Black (provided of course that he's not risking his well-being by doing so).

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Gert B Frobe

I think he has been through a lot - with depression and chronic pain etc. And I think he's not stupid - so in the end he will have to consider does he really want to run the risk of going back to that place or worse? I doubt at his age he will decide it's worth the risk. If he was 30 and didn't have kids- maybe.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:53 AM
BernieParent

I see it as a grizzled warrior who is not ready to admit that he is done. And that is a healthy thing, because it's a heck of a better mental approach than admitting defeat and meekly settling into retirement. I'm not saying that Pronger should actually step back onto an NHL ice surface as a player; just that I admire his seeming determination to do all that he can to be one again.

I'd think that Mrs. Pronger, though, would have some choice words about him putting his health at risk by trying to play again. And if she can bully him into leaving Edmonton (), she will keep him off the ice.

I'm looking forward to the retirement ceremony, where Pronger comes out to drop a ceremonial face-off, and instead elbows both captains unconscious.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
He really cant admit hes ready to retire with that LTIR issue.
he really has to say that he still wants to play at some point.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
He really cant admit hes ready to retire with that LTIR issue.
he really has to say that he still wants to play at some point.
For the sake of the Flyers and his continued payments, yes. I just get the vibe from Pronger that, if he came to the decision that enough was enough and he was ready to retire, he would do it. Not to screw over the Flyers, but just for turning the page.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:07 AM
KaraLupin
카라

So with LTIR, he has to count against the cap going into the season, but after it starts, we can use the capspace? Or do I understand wrong?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
So with LTIR, he has to count against the cap going into the season, but after it starts, we can use the capspace? Or do I understand wrong?
A simple answer is "yes" to the matter of cap space but the NHL can issue a directive/challenge as to the legitimacy of an injury, even if unlikely.

This is from last season but it cites various issues and exceptions:

http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...t-one-for.html

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Tripod

Quote:
you understand it correctly.

It's too bad that his contract didn't end this year. Here is what I would envision:
Philly could have let him suit up for one last shift to start the game. Win the faceoff back to him, and let him take one last clapper at Nabokov who would then cover it up. Pronger then gets to pick up the game puck and skate off into the sunset to a standing ovation while he salutes the home fans.

(and of course this would be discusssed before hand by Giroux and Tavares and how it should play out)

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:07 PM
KaraLupin
카라

So we technically cant use that capspace to sign players before season, but would we be able to handshake or try-out a 4-5 M player, who signs right after the season starts? (1 year of course)

Old
04-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
So we technically cant use that capspace to sign players before season, but would we be able to handshake or try-out a 4-5 M player, who signs right after the season starts? (1 year of course)
I really don't see why that player would take that risk.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:24 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Yeah true, just trying to figure out a way to use our situation, lol.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Broad Street Elite

I still can't believe that the LTIR issue wasn't resolved in the last CBA, especially in the context of the 35+ rules. Surely anyone can see that Pronger isn't faking this kind of injury, but the Flyers are hamstrung because of it and Pronger doesn't get the opportunity to retire and pursue other interests (like coaching).

A simple exemption like:

If the Player and Team agree, and an NHL approved doctor supports the assertion, that an injury is, or very likely is, career-ending.... the 35+ rule does not apply and the player can retire as they would otherwise.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I still can't believe that the LTIR issue wasn't resolved in the last CBA, especially in the context of the 35+ rules. Surely anyone can see that Pronger isn't faking this kind of injury, but the Flyers are hamstrung because of it and Pronger doesn't get the opportunity to retire and pursue other interests (like coaching).

A simple exemption like:

If the Player and Team agree, and an NHL approved doctor supports the assertion, that an injury is, or very likely is, career-ending.... the 35+ rule does not apply and the player can retire as they would otherwise.
The biggest shame is that Holmgren didn't understand the rule. The way he structured the deal shows that Pronger never intended to play the last 2 years, if not 3.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote