HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
It wouldn't just be our pick. I would also include other players and picks/prospects. It's a much safer play making a deal for an already established NHLer than moving that pick for a prospect still. It wouldn't just be the 7/8th overall going back, but it will help this team in the short and long run more than trading it for Gormley.

Now I honestly can't say who will be available, nobody does yet. I'm not talking Weber or Peity, but some other defenders who teams might be in a cap crunch or looking to change things up.
You aren't getting an established number 2 or 3 for the 7th, 8th overall choice. A move like that means you're packaging a Couturier or a Laughton. That package does even get a Pietrangelo or Weber. Maybe, maybe a Bogosian, but then you're hoping Cheveldayoff is whacked out on Oxycontin to make that kind of move.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Make it the #10 and Gormley for #6 and #67 and I think it's something the Flyers would seriously consider.
That looks a little light on our end, doesn't it? We know that a 3rd rounder doesn't hold that much value--and I don't think that the difference between the 10th and 6th is Gormley.

We'd probably need to send something more valuable back in addition to the pick.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
That looks a little light on our end, doesn't it? We know that a 3rd rounder doesn't hold that much value--and I don't think that the difference between the 10th and 6th is Gormley.

We'd probably need to send something more valuable back in addition to the pick.
Oh, I agree it looks light on our end, but if a team is desperate enough to move up, you're going to want to squeeze them for what you can. Well, that's what I'd do as a GM anyways.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Oh, I agree it looks light on our end, but if a team is desperate enough to move up, you're going to want to squeeze them for what you can. Well, that's what I'd do as a GM anyways.
I'd do our 2nd--without really blinking--so, 6th + 36th for Gormley + 10th.

I'm not even sure I'd worry about getting the best available D with the pick, though. Say a guy like Nichushkin somehow falls because of the "Russian factor"--who cares? We've already secured a good young defenseman--take him anyway.

Too good to be true, unfortuantely.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I can't believe I didn't notice this until now, but it convinced me that if Nurse is available at our pick, he will be selected, basically guaranteed.

Brandon Alderson

Nick Cousins

Darnell Nurse

In monitoring Cousins, and watching Alderson enough to give him a contract, they've no doubt watched Nurse on a multitude of occasions. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but I think it means something. It just seems like a Flyers thing to do, scout your guy and then notice another, coming away impressed with how much they've seen of him. I have to imagine they've seen more of Nurse than any organization in the NHL.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The Flyers are already on record of how highly they think of Nurse.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The Flyers are already on record of how highly they think of Nurse.
I wouldn't read too much into it. A team isn't going to publicly trash a prospect.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into it. A team isn't going to publicly trash a prospect.
True but my understanding was that they never gave interviews about upcoming drafts and prospects that candidly and that early in the year before. Anyway it's a moot point because I doubt he's there when we're picking.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Broad Street Elite

Nurse looks good in the orange and black tbh....

Old
04-22-2013, 06:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I can't believe I didn't notice this until now, but it convinced me that if Nurse is available at our pick, he will be selected, basically guaranteed.

Brandon Alderson

Nick Cousins

Darnell Nurse

In monitoring Cousins, and watching Alderson enough to give him a contract, they've no doubt watched Nurse on a multitude of occasions. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but I think it means something. It just seems like a Flyers thing to do, scout your guy and then notice another, coming away impressed with how much they've seen of him. I have to imagine they've seen more of Nurse than any organization in the NHL.
I'm all in.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Curufinwe

Nurse will surely be gone by the time the Flyers pick. I'm hoping for Zadorov or Ristolainen, and for them to keep all our young forwards.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Nurse will surely be gone by the time the Flyers pick. I'm hoping for Zadorov or Ristolainen, and for them to keep all our young forwards.
I think we need to draft 6th for a legit shot at Nurse. Anything lower is unrealistic. Unfortunately, 6 is the best case scenario at this point without winning the lottery outright.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Curufinwe

Yup, and it seems like 8th or 9th is the Flyers' most likely spot.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

I'm not so sure about that anymore. Flyers might rest some players to give the young Phantoms a chance to show them what they are made of. Maybe Giroux and Voracek sit and rest while they take their spots. If we brought these kids up, let them play. If they play, they actually give us a better chance to lose. Maybe we lose out the last three and get 6th pick. Never know what can happen.

Edmonton and Calgary are the only two I think could possibly jump us. The other teams need to win out while we lose out(or at least get 5 out of 6 points.)

Old
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Yup, and it seems like 8th or 9th is the Flyers' most likely spot.
I do think, however, that a team could like Zadorov or Risto just as much and consider swapping the 6th for the 8th if we include some compensation. I think it depends how much we and whoever picks 6th loves any particular player.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Maybe we trade up a spot or 2?

Of course depending where we sit in the draft.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Eh. I don't think it is that cut and dried. Not all teams rank every player the same. Jones obviously is #1 on everyone's board in terms of defenders, and MacKinnon and Drouin are 1/2 in terms of forwards, but after that, I imagine every team's list is different. Some teams may have Nurse as #4, others may not have him in the top ten. Others may have him somewhere in the middle.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Curufinwe

I think the price will to move up will be too high, and any pick in the top 10 should get a good player.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Maybe we trade up a spot or 2?

Of course depending where we sit in the draft.
The price would probably be our 2nd rounder. Or our 3rd rounder with a future 2nd rounder in next years draft. Price is pretty steep.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
The price would probably be our 2nd rounder. Or our 3rd rounder with a future 2nd rounder in next years draft. Price is pretty steep.
what's that?

Old
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Eh. I don't think it is that cut and dried. Not all teams rank every player the same. Jones obviously is #1 on everyone's board in terms of defenders, and MacKinnon and Drouin are 1/2 in terms of forwards, but after that, I imagine every team's list is different. Some teams may have Nurse as #4, others may not have him in the top ten. Others may have him somewhere in the middle.
I think that's what a lot of people (myself included) are guilty of doing when trying to take guesses at where a player will go. Outside of the first couple of picks its a crapshoot usually. I still don't like our chances of landing Nurse but who knows I didn't think we would end up Couturier two years ago neither.

It also will come a lot clearer after next week when we at least know where we're picking.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
If the Flyers are high enough on Nurse, I certainly wouldn't put it out of the question.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I think we need to draft 6th for a legit shot at Nurse. Anything lower is unrealistic. Unfortunately, 6 is the best case scenario at this point without winning the lottery outright.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I threw this together this morning, but is it that unrealistic?
Quote:
1. FLA - Mackinnon / Drouin
2. COL - Jones
3. TBL - Mackinnon / Drouin
4. NSH - Barkov
5. CAR - Nichushkin
6. EDM - Monahan
7. CGY - Lindholm
8. PHI - Nurse
To be honest, the only two teams that I could really imagine taking a defenseman are EDM and CAR.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Broad Street Elite

It would really surprise me to see Edmonton pass on Nurse. they need toughness and defense. Yes, Monahan fills the need for a 2C, but Nurse offers more organizational balance imo.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true. I threw this together this morning, but is it that unrealistic?

To be honest, the only two teams that I could really imagine taking a defenseman are EDM and CAR.
Those are definately the two most dangerous teams that could take Nurse.

Both of those teams make me sick the way they are playing.

Closed Thread