HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Wow, that kicking clip makes him look like an absolute psycho. I wonder how if he would do the same in the NHL. I don't know what fighting is like in the KHL, but a no name like him, at his size, doing things like kicking players will have him ending up fighting guys like Rupp, Reaves, etc. Maybe a couple beat downs and he dials it back a bit. I think suspensions would hold him out for a few games too.

Still an interesting player, especially if he can be better than Nikitin.
There's fighting in the KHL as well, you'll probably even see more line brawls there than in the NHL, especially if you tune in in a Avangard vs Vityaz match, those games were crazy a while ago and teams employ enforcers as well. Belov isn't a great fighter, but he can hold his own thanks to his size and the fact that he was forced to dance a couple of times already.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:40 AM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Wow, that kicking clip makes him look like an absolute psycho. I wonder how if he would do the same in the NHL. I don't know what fighting is like in the KHL, but a no name like him, at his size, doing things like kicking players will have him ending up fighting guys like Rupp, Reaves, etc. Maybe a couple beat downs and he dials it back a bit. I think suspensions would hold him out for a few games too.

Still an interesting player, especially if he can be better than Nikitin.
He's done that just a couple of times in his whole career, and as Ivan has already stated multiple times in this thread, he's gotten better at not crossing the line as he's matured...just like our own Steve Downie...he still does jump into some hits and the man does not **** around, but he'd just be one of a bunch of tough and sometimes dirty players in the NHL.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:47 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I still want Belov. Teams need a good dose of pure "psycho". It forces teams to play with a little hesitation.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Avs71

With Barrie and Elliott playing well, and all the other defencemen on one way contracts, I can't see a defenceman being brought in now. So frustrating, because there is next to no valuable leadership on the back end for all the guys under 25 years old.

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Elliott
Wilson-Hunwick

Wouldn't be the end of the world, but it isn't ideal. Barrie already plays around 24 minutes on a lot of nights. Sure, he might struggle against the big players on the top line, but he's the same size as Hunwick, plus more offense. I think it could be a good fit.

Last edited by Avs71: 04-22-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Not going to happen, but I wouldn't mind Jagr on a one year deal or Elias on a two year deal. Some instant veteran offense and leadership.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Not going to happen, but I wouldn't mind Jagr on a one year deal or Elias on a two year deal. Some instant veteran offense and leadership.
Elias will retire a Devil. Jagr I agree with, mentioned earlier I'd like adding him using our extra cap space. Can't see him turning down a one year, five mil contract for instance. Assuming Boston doesn't offer something like that.

He'd help fill a need, add some veteran influence and be a good on ice role model. It's just not the Avs MO to do something like that.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:09 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Yeah, imagine a year of Jagr next to Duchene and Parenteau... drool-worthy, but not happening.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Elias will retire a Devil. Jagr I agree with, mentioned earlier I'd like adding him using our extra cap space. Can't see him turning down a one year, five mil contract for instance. Assuming Boston doesn't offer something like that.

He'd help fill a need, add some veteran influence and be a good on ice role model. It's just not the Avs MO to do something like that.
Boston is pretty tight with the cap.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Avs71

Would money even entice Jagr at this point? Not including this year, or KHL money, he has earned $101,000,000 in the NHL.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Would money even entice Jagr at this point? Not including this year, or KHL money, he has earned $101,000,000 in the NHL.
What do you think why he signed with the Stars? He's a mercenary and he'll stay the same.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Actually, money seems to be the only thing enticing Jagr nowadays.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I think he goes to the team that offers him most money. He signed with Dallas instead of a competitor this summer.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Avs71

^Good points...

Old
04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think he goes to the team that offers him most money. He signed with Dallas instead of a competitor this summer.
Exactly. See no reason Kroenke can't afford him, just a stupid Avs philosophy preventing it.

Add Jones, Downie and Jagr to this roster with a new coach... oh boy.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I think he'd made more money in Russia.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
That seems to be exactly what is enticing him. That's why he chose Philly over the sentimental Pittsbugh, and they only offered slightly more if I remember. That's how he ended up in Dallas of all places instead of staying in Philly.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
That seems to be exactly what is enticing him. That's why he chose Philly over the sentimental Pittsbugh, and they only offered slightly more if I remember. That's how he ended up in Dallas of all places instead of staying in Philly.
He mentioned that one of the reasons he chose Philly was that he wanted to play with their right handed centers.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
He mentioned that one of the reasons he chose Philly was that he wanted to play with their right handed centers.
Ha, yea. What a load of BS. I'm sure he would have looked horrible with that left handed Sidney Crosby centering him.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Lerg re-signs according to his own twitter... didn't feel this was new thread worthy.

bryan lerg ‏@BLerg11 14m
Very excited to resign and be part of the avs organization and @monstershockey for another year! Hoping to have a healthy/injury free year!

Old
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Posted this in the other thread:

Quote:
Interestingly, Tyson Barrie has been less sheltered for us this year than Shatty (but still 6th in rel QoC on our team including Wilson and SOB), and finishes in the offensive zone 6% more often than he starts. He also has a pretty good On ice Corsi (5.61) and a great Relative Corsi (11.2) suggesting that he is by far our best Dman in terms of possession.

Tyson Barrie has been more or less played as a 2nd pairing guy for us and numbers told has performed quite well. Elliott on the other hand is still very much being used as a sheltered bottom pairing guy and that's ok. Shane O'brien has actually performed quite very well in his role by the numbers and I'm perplexed as to why he sits out while Zanon plays. SOB is the much better bottom pairing option.
Ryan Wilson has good numbers this year but in a very small sample size and a number of them suggest that they are highly unsustainable (PDO/On ice Save %/On ice SH %).

Hunwick (obviously) but especially Hejda are outmatched against the opposition they're facing. Hejda it seems would be better suited as a bottom pairing guy for us.

EJ has been passable out there against the competition he's facing, but could be a lot better. While facing much easier competition than Pietrangelo, he has fairly comparable possession numbers (in a down year from Pietrangelo). He plays against comparable quality of competition to Doughty and Scuderi out there but much, much worse possession numbers than Doughty. It seems to confirm what we know to some extent that EJ is passable out there on the top pairing but no more than that.

Bottom line though after looking things over a lot more in depth I think we essentially have two top 4 guys going forward who actually belong there (EJ, Barrie). Hejda, Elliott, and O'brien are fine as bottom pairing guys. But we need two more top four guys in addition to EJ stepping up for our defense to be where it should be. Hopefully we can at least acquire one this offseason.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Posted this in the other thread:

Ryan Wilson has good numbers this year but in a very small sample size and a number of them suggest that they are highly unsustainable (PDO/On ice Save %/On ice SH %).

Hunwick (obviously) but especially Hejda are outmatched against the opposition they're facing. Hejda it seems would be better suited as a bottom pairing guy for us.

EJ has been passable out there against the competition he's facing, but could be a lot better. While facing much easier competition than Pietrangelo, he has fairly comparable possession numbers (in a down year from Pietrangelo). He plays against comparable quality of competition to Doughty and Scuderi out there but much, much worse possession numbers than Doughty. It seems to confirm what we know to some extent that EJ is passable out there on the top pairing but no more than that.

Bottom line though after looking things over a lot more in depth I think we essentially have two top 4 guys going forward who actually belong there (EJ, Barrie). Hejda, Elliott, and O'brien are fine as bottom pairing guys. But we need two more top four guys in addition to EJ stepping up for our defense to be where it should be. Hopefully we can at least acquire one this offseason.
Is puck possession not more of a team statistic? You're talking about possession numbers on two teams that are gearing up for long playoff runs vs the 29th place team.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is puck possession not more of a team statistic? You're talking about possession numbers on two teams that are gearing up for long playoff runs vs the 29th place team.
Yes Kings numbers are inflated but what you look at are the relative quality of competition a player faces compared to the other players on their team (what their role is), and how they perform in that role vs their opponents and in comparison to the others on their team. It is a reach to compare players in a vacuum between two teams because LA for example is a ridiculously good possession team but it was more just food for thought when comparing players who are expected to play similar roles.

Its far from a perfect science but these players and how they perform are part of why we're a 29th place team.

Its also not just about possession numbers (it would take too long to post a thorough analysis) but everything taken in context. You can find all these numbers on behindthenet and there is a lot of material out there explaining how to interpret them.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Yes Kings numbers are inflated but what you look at are the relative quality of competition a player faces compared to the other players on their team (what their role is), and how they perform in that role vs their opponents and in comparison to the others on their team. It is a reach to compare players in a vacuum between two teams because LA for example is a ridiculously good possession team but it was more just food for thought when comparing players who are expected to play similar roles.

Its far from a perfect science but these players and how they perform are part of why we're a 29th place team.

Its also not just about possession numbers (it would take too long to post a thorough analysis) but everything taken in context. You can find all these numbers on behindthenet and there is a lot of material out there explaining how to interpret them.
Would this not indicate that for someone like Duncan Keith, he is a barely passable 2nd pairing defenceman?

Faces the 89th toughest competition (.255 Rel QOC), has a -4.9 relative corsi, starts in the offensive zone 54.2 % of the time, and yet only finishes there 50.2%. And Seabrook is even worse.

I'm genuinely curious, I don't really understand the whole Corsi thing, so maybe I'm misunderstanding this, or comparing it in the wrong way.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
I'm not a huge fan of the advanced stats, especially with defensemen.

I think they are a lot more valuable for forwards, it seems to me on every single team there are some pretty strong statistical Corsi anomalies for defensemen.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Foppa2118

Oh.....my.......god did anyone see the trade offers Dater would make to get the 1st overall pick, because he has a "hunch" the Avs will do that?

"How about this for a couple trade scenarios by GM Dater?
- Paul Stastny and Colorado’s No. 1 pick for Florida’s No. 1 and a player like, say, Kris Versteeg?

- Semyon Varlamov and Colorado’s No. 1 pick for Florida’s No. 1 and, say, Tomas Fleischmann?

- Erik Johnson and Colorado’s No. 1 pick for Florida’s No. 1 and, say, Brian Campbell?

- Varlamov and David Jones and Colorado’s No. 1 pick for Florida’s No. 1 and, say, Versteeg and Fleischmann?

Think it over, Dale Tallon."

You have got to be kidding me. As if his hockey knowledge couldn't be worse. Why would Florida trade #1 overall and Versteeg for #2 overall and Versteeg making $2.2 M more. And why on earth would the Avs trade Varly just to get the 1st overall and Fleischman? He loves to bring up ex Avs any chance he gets.

What retarded trade ideas. The trade forum has better ones than these.

Closed Thread