HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafting since 2000.

Old
09-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Drafting since 2000.

With the Prospect Tournament starting today, I thought I'd give a quick review of our drafting since 2000. I think we're doing pretty well.

I wanted to focus on the players that IMO have the best chance to stay in or at some point play in the NHL. Obviously there is no sure way to predict if they will make it, just my opinion.

Draft 2000:
Henrik Lundqvist. NHL. Obviously doing very well so far.

Dominick Moore. NHL. Traded to the Ice Chickens. Decent shot to continue playing.

2001:
Dan Blackburn. Retired. Tragedy.
Fedor Tyutin. NHL. Loads of potential. What he does with it is the question.
Garth Murray. NHL. With the Habs now. Maybe continues as a 4th liner.
Ryan Hollweg. NHL. Either will tap into unseen skills or may get marginalized.

2002:
Petr Prucha. NHL. He'll stay in and prosper if he can keep bouncing up from those hits.

2003:
Hugh Jessiman. AHL. Still has a decent shot IMO. Big improvement this year needed.
Ivan Baranka. AHL. Solid chance to be a top four pairing D man.
Nigel Dawes. AHL. Could pull a Prucha at Ranger camp this year. Sniper potential.

2004:
Al Montoya. AHL. NHL starting goalie potential. Amazing athlete. Keeper.
Lauri Korpikoski. AHL. Slipped a bit last year. Expect him to rebound nicely.
Brandon Dubinsky. AHL. Amazing development in the last 18mos. Keep it up Dubi.
Ryan Callahan. AHL. Feisty. Has the potential to surprise people IMO.

2005:
Marc Staal. OHL. He's there someday...maybe Thursday October 5th vs the Caps.
Michael Sauer. WHL. Only a matter of time...and injuries. Big talent.
Marc-Andre Cliche. The Q. Has a shot IMO.
Brodie Dupont. WHL. My pick for LW on our 3rd line someday.
Tom Pyatt. OHL. Centering for Moose and Moore. The WJC doesn't just happen.

2006:
Bob Sanguinetti. OHL. Hey, he's a first round pick...and he's a skating SOG.
Artem Anisimov. RUS. Don't know squat, but they tell me he's a comer.

Thats 21 in seven years. If they all made it to the NHL and stayed that would be an amazing achievement for the Rangers. More so if we manage to keep a few of them or make some killer deals at some point.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 01:10 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
With the Prospect Tournament starting today, I thought I'd give a quick review of our drafting since 2000. I think we're doing pretty well.

I wanted to focus on the players that IMO have the best chance to stay in or at some point play in the NHL. Obviously there is no sure way to predict if they will make it, just my opinion.

Draft 2000:
Henrik Lundqvist. NHL. Obviously doing very well so far.

Dominick Moore. NHL. Traded to the Ice Chickens. Decent shot to continue playing.

2001:
Dan Blackburn. Retired. Tragedy.
Fedor Tyutin. NHL. Loads of potential. What he does with it is the question.
Garth Murray. NHL. With the Habs now. Maybe continues as a 4th liner.
Ryan Hollweg. NHL. Either will tap into unseen skills or may get marginalized.

2002:
Petr Prucha. NHL. He'll stay in and prosper if he can keep bouncing up from those hits.

2003:
Hugh Jessiman. AHL. Still has a decent shot IMO. Big improvement this year needed.
Ivan Baranka. AHL. Solid chance to be a top four pairing D man.
Nigel Dawes. AHL. Could pull a Prucha at Ranger camp this year. Sniper potential.

2004:
Al Montoya. AHL. NHL starting goalie potential. Amazing athlete. Keeper.
Lauri Korpikoski. AHL. Slipped a bit last year. Expect him to rebound nicely.
Brandon Dubinsky. AHL. Amazing development in the last 18mos. Keep it up Dubi.
Ryan Callahan. AHL. Feisty. Has the potential to surprise people IMO.

2005:
Marc Staal. OHL. He's there someday...maybe Thursday October 5th vs the Caps.
Michael Sauer. WHL. Only a matter of time...and injuries. Big talent.
Marc-Andre Cliche. The Q. Has a shot IMO.
Brodie Dupont. WHL. My pick for LW on our 3rd line someday.
Tom Pyatt. OHL. Centering for Moose and Moore. The WJC doesn't just happen.

2006:
Bob Sanguinetti. OHL. Hey, he's a first round pick...and he's a skating SOG.
Artem Anisimov. RUS. Don't know squat, but they tell me he's a comer.

Thats 21 in seven years. If they all made it to the NHL and stayed that would be an amazing achievement for the Rangers. More so if we manage to keep a few of them or make some killer deals at some point.
Dont forget Bryce Lampman who was drafted in 2001, almost made the team 2 times but injuries did not help. I think he can still make it as a dman in the NHL. Most likely on a different team, but hopefully he stays with the Rangers.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Balej20*

Yes, that's 21 guys with potential...but the problem is, 14 of those guys haven't sniffed the NHL yet.

Everyone starts out having potential...we'll know a few years down the road how well we really did draft. We can't grade our previous 3 or 4 drafts fully just yet.

But as for the guys we have brought into the NHL, I think the Rangers have done a very nice job with them.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Dont forget Bryce Lampman who was drafted in 2001, almost made the team 2 times but injuries did not help. I think he can still make it as a dman in the NHL. Most likely on a different team, but hopefully he stays with the Rangers.
I could be wrong here. Would love to be proven so, but I think Lampman's time has come and gone.

Old
09-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Yes, that's 21 guys with potential...but the problem is, 14 of those guys haven't sniffed the NHL yet.

Everyone starts out having potential...we'll know a few years down the road how well we really did draft. We can't grade our previous 3 or 4 drafts fully just yet.

But as for the guys we have brought into the NHL, I think the Rangers have done a very nice job with them.
Again, just my opinion. Take it for what you will. There is a real good chance for each of those kids from '03 on.

Old
09-08-2006, 02:14 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I could be wrong here. Would love to be proven so, but I think Lampman's time has come and gone.
Lampman is just a sad story. I feel very strongly that he can be an everyday NHLer.

Injury setbacks aside, his upside doesn't garner a good look from anyone. Simple as this, he's not a sexy prospect. The term prospect barely fits him. He's 24 and he'll be a third pairing defensemen. And a decent one at that. Honestly, with experience, he has more defensive skills that a Strudwick (but he's a fringe player).

But as it shakes out, every organization has prospects pegged for top 4 potential. And every team will give that shot to the sexier prospect.

Bryce had a limited chance to show his stuff but just had the luck to get injured at the absolute worst times.

With all likelyhood, if 3 Ranger defensemen contract malaria at the sametime, Baranka is now the first to get the call.

There may be a tiny silver lining. The salary cap may leave a place for Lampman's of this world. Teams can no longer boast as much depth as they would like. Maybe a team just bad enough off will take a chance on an AHL vet w/ a low 2-way pricetag.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 04:35 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
he's not a sexy prospect
Thats spot on. Plus with the injury last season he has just fallen off most peoples radars (including mine.) He should be a solid call up guy if we have injuries in teh future, definitely worth keeping on the farm.

BLACKBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 05:14 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Lampman is just a sad story. I feel very strongly that he can be an everyday NHLer.

Injury setbacks aside, his upside doesn't garner a good look from anyone. Simple as this, he's not a sexy prospect. The term prospect barely fits him. He's 24 and he'll be a third pairing defensemen. And a decent one at that. Honestly, with experience, he has more defensive skills that a Strudwick (but he's a fringe player).

But as it shakes out, every organization has prospects pegged for top 4 potential. And every team will give that shot to the sexier prospect.

Bryce had a limited chance to show his stuff but just had the luck to get injured at the absolute worst times.

With all likelyhood, if 3 Ranger defensemen contract malaria at the sametime, Baranka is now the first to get the call.

There may be a tiny silver lining. The salary cap may leave a place for Lampman's of this world. Teams can no longer boast as much depth as they would like. Maybe a team just bad enough off will take a chance on an AHL vet w/ a low 2-way pricetag.
Yeah, I agrees 100%. I even think he could have had a breakthrough last season without all the injurys... Really sad.

He should really try to seek his way to the absolute worst team in the league, where he can get a shot. Once there he can establish himself.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 05:27 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

You left out Marek Zdlicky from the 2001 draft.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 08:00 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
dont remind me

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Your right. I stand corrected. Thanks.