HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Okposo stepping up at right time

Old
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Kyle Okposo stepping up at right time

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter
"I knew if we were going to have any success down the stretch this year, I had to play better," Okposo said after the Islanders' 5-4 shootout win over the Jets in Winnipeg on Saturday afternoon. "I had another slow start this season and I knew I needed to be better, be a bigger presence out there and be a leader."

Okposo led in a lot of ways Saturday. He made great passes to each of his linemates, Frans Nielsen and Josh Bailey, for first-period goals. He infuriated the Jets with a high hit on Zach Bogosian in the second period and a bit of a slew-foot on Blake Wheeler in the third. Okposo also challenged Bogosian to a fight after the Jets defenseman rammed Nielsen into the boards from behind later in the second.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Bones45
I want my $2!

vCash: 500
That was a slow start?

Wow.. that was a BACKWARDS start!

Bones45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Hopefully KO learns from this and better prepares for the season in the future. He has all the talent and drive, just needs to combine that with game-speed ready and conditioning ready levels when the season starts. Not playing during the lockout really hurt him in the beginning of this season.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
That was a slow start?

Wow.. that was a BACKWARDS start!
NYIChooch75 posted that Jaffe was on HNL a couple of days ago. Jaffe said Okposo was recovering from an injury in the offseason and that was why he didn't workout more. The poster went on to say Okposo told Jaffe
that he's not getting down on himself for not scoring, that he's just trying to play his best overall game.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

This style of play is so much better suited for Kyles body & skill. He may never be the 30 goal scorer he thought he would be, but that's ok. I'd much rather him be a 15 goal scorer that is great defensively than a 30 goal scorer who isn't a major factor on the other side of the puck. Of course it would be great if he could do both.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
This style of play is so much better suited for Kyles body & skill. He may never be the 30 goal scorer he thought he would be, but that's ok. I'd much rather him be a 15 goal scorer that is great defensively than a 30 goal scorer who isn't a major factor on the other side of the puck. Of course it would be great if he could do both.
Amazing that this is the same player from early in the year. Bailey as well. Both are really stepping up.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I want to see Kyle do this playing consistently and when he doesn't someone beat him over the head with a sledge hammer.

04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
Hopefully KO learns from this and better prepares for the season in the future. He has all the talent and drive, just needs to combine that with game-speed ready and conditioning ready levels when the season starts. Not playing during the lockout really hurt him in the beginning of this season.
What he got cramps from sitting at a theater for 3 hours watching the Hobbit? He looked poorly out of shape in the beginning. I really believe he needs to work harder or with better trainers in the off season.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
aIsle21

I find it kind of funny how Bailey is turning into the goal scorer on that line and Kyle is a set up guy.

aIsle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by aIsle21 View Post
I find it kind of funny how Bailey is turning into the goal scorer on that line and Kyle is a set up guy.
I think its funny but only because I always thought baileys passing/playmaking was overrated and Kyle's was always underrated.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
What he got cramps from sitting at a theater for 3 hours watching the Hobbit? He looked poorly out of shape in the beginning. I really believe he needs to work harder or with better trainers in the off season.
Not sure what nutritionists or personal trainers he uses, if any. But I personally know who he skates with. Guy is one of the best on ice skating instructors and on ice training in the world.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:18 PM
BKIsles

KO has played great the past 15 games, but is anyone else concerned that he's been so hesitant to shoot the puck??

I'm not knocking his game, just wondering if he's playing through an injury to that shoulder.

BKIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKIsles View Post
KO has played great the past 15 games, but is anyone else concerned that he's been so hesitant to shoot the puck??

I'm not knocking his game, just wondering if he's playing through an injury to that shoulder.

he does need to shoot a little more, but I think he's just a pass first guy. The Isles have tried to make him into a shooter, but I just don't think thats his game. He has good vision, he likes to hold the puck and draw defenders and dish it. His shot was never anything special. Now Bailey, I can see why they want him to shoot more. He's has a great shot

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
PK Cronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKIsles View Post

It's not a problem, his release is very slow and he gets a lot of shots blocked. I'd rather him be more selective, and I'm sure the coaching staff feels the same way.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
It's not a problem, his release is very slow and he gets a lot of shots blocked. I'd rather him be more selective, and I'm sure the coaching staff feels the same way.
His release is NOT very slow, he actually has a very quick release. The problem with him is that he hesitates and is thinking when he should just let it rip sometimes.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
bmg97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
His release is NOT very slow, he actually has a very quick release. The problem with him is that he hesitates and is thinking when he should just let it rip sometimes.
Was going to say the same thing. I think he has a laser of a shot too. His game is maturing in front of your eyes, so let him be. He's an assist machine at the moment and the goals will come when we need them.

Bailey is in the same boat with the maturation of his game.

One day you go to sleep a good player and wake up the next day a better player. It all just clicks one day and I think the whole team clicked at the same time about 1.5 months ago.

I really like this team regardless of where they finish, and cant wait to see what the future brings.

bmg97 is offline   Reply With Quote