HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
ah ok thanks BD. Its always the bonuses that catch me.

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.
c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.
I was under the impression that Luongo's cap will actually increase to combat the "back diving" contract he signed, no?

Old
04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
is it possible that Luongo could play for the duration of his contract?

Sure... he will be what 43 when his contract expires.

Is it likely? Nope. He'll probably retire before he hits 40.

Which means that any team stuck with his contract when he retires in the new CBA will be penalized for the remaining cap amount.

"Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013."

Ouch. this could hurt any team with the luongo contract really badly. No wonder he (his contract) is practically worthless right now.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I was under the impression that Luongo's cap will actually increase to combat the "back diving" contract he signed, no?
haha, yes I just posted my following comment after you. In my previous comment I was assuming that he was still playing and not retired. if he retires before his contract expires, his cap hit gets worse.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:

Which means that any team stuck with his contract when he retires in the new CBA will be penalized for the remaining cap amount.

"Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013."

Ouch. this could hurt any team with the luongo contract really badly. No wonder he (his contract) is practically worthless right now.
He's a compliance buyout, I don't see anyway around it for the Nucks, especially if it's true they turned down Toronto.

I guess Vancouver has to decide which player is less painful to keep, Ballard or Booth.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.

c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.
People worry about Yak, Rnh and Schultz, but why do we have to pay these guys? Subban and Del Zotto never got the big money so maybe it's time to make a stand. Subban had character flaws according to some and he doesn't seem to be playing like he's pissed off that he didn't get the big deal.

Even RNH, not sure how you look into a 5+ year deal with him unless he gets 80 points next year. We signed Hall and Eberle last summer, in hindsight I really don't know that we saved anything by signing them early.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Fans love Bogosian.

Most of their fans want to trade Big Buff and Enstrome before Bogosian. Chipman and co. love Bogo too. No chance.
Didn't say it had to be Bogo. I'm happy with Enstrom also....not as sure about Byfuglien (Penner falshbacks!). Winnipeg is like Edmonton when it comes to the UFA map (without the front office drama). They have to rely on trades or UFAs like Jokinen, Belanger et al...... Since you can get blood out a of a stone, I merely suggested that the teams could be a fit as their best center going into next season is Jokinen (10th in team scoring w/ 14pts) followed by Jim Slater at 2 pts. They'll probably resign Burmitsev and hope he can score more than 28 points.

Then again we're Oiler fans....who needs good centers, right?

Old
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
People worry about Yak, Rnh and Schultz, but why do we have to pay these guys? Subban and Del Zotto never got the big money so maybe it's time to make a stand. Subban had character flaws according to some and he doesn't seem to be playing like he's pissed off that he didn't get the big deal.

Even RNH, not sure how you look into a 5+ year deal with him unless he gets 80 points next year. We signed Hall and Eberle last summer, in hindsight I really don't know that we saved anything by signing them early.
True, the Oilers could hold firm on RNH on his next contract. I could see a short term two year lower value contract, but that can't continue indefinitely. Eventually top notch players like RNH and Yak will get paid, and it will probably be during the same lifespan as Eberle and Hall's $6 million contracts.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
oilwings

Quote:

Don't think the Oilers will be in cap trouble. Look at the Ducks for example, Getzlaf and Perry makes over 17M combined. The Pens with Malkin and Crosby @ over 17M. The cap is going down next yr but it'll rise back up to around 70M. As long as our top 6 combined is making around 29-30M then we're fine.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
True, the Oilers could hold firm on RNH on his next contract. I could see a short term two year lower value contract, but that can't continue indefinitely. Eventually top notch players like RNH and Yak will get paid, and it will probably be during the same lifespan as Eberle and Hall's $6 million contracts.
Eventually they'll get there, but no reason to lock into something early. Schultz especially.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
jeetz

I believe MacT should assemble his key pieces first then build around them. For me this would be:

Hall .... Eberle
.... RNH Yak
MPS Lander Harti
Brown .... ....

..... Petry
Smid JShultz
.... Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk

Everyone else it a tradable asset or a UFA not to be back. The only condition in my opinion is that whoever MacT has coming back is an up grade for who they replace and gives our roster better balance.

The 3 things front and center for Mact listed from easiest to hardest, but MUST be adressed are:

1. A backup goalie that can provide competition for Dubie and play a quality 20-25 games

2. A #1 center that can allow RNH to play behind for the next 2-3 years

3. Stud Dman a quality #1 or #2A Dman who can play 25 min a night in addition to the players listed

Old
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Nick Schultz has had to baby sit to an extent, plus the Oilers lack of depth isn't his fault.

Tom Gilbert has been a Healthy Scratch on a number of occasions this season, the Oilers are getting the better the end of that deal, not by much, but they are.

To your point on Orlov, why do the Caps move him if he's got that potential and he's cheap?
This would be a move to improve the team - so the Oilers would need to offer something to the Capitals to make a deal work.

I could see something like Lander for Orlov, Oilers would probably need to add a mid-round pick.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Hmm... Sergei Gonchar is Karlsson's partner in Ottawa right? And I think he's a UFA isn't he?
Gonchar had Cowen and Phillips last year and Phillips this year

Old
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
frag2

Quote:

If Luongo plays for another 6/9 years, the penalty also applies to the Nucks, does it not?

Old
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
I believe MacT should assemble his key pieces first then build around them. For me this would be:

Hall .... Eberle
.... RNH Yak
MPS Lander Harti
Brown .... ....

..... Petry
Smid JShultz
.... Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk

Everyone else it a tradable asset or a UFA not to be back. The only condition in my opinion is that whoever MacT has coming back is an up grade for who they replace and gives our roster better balance.

The 3 things front and center for Mact listed from easiest to hardest, but MUST be adressed are:

1. A backup goalie that can provide competition for Dubie and play a quality 20-25 games

2. A #1 center that can allow RNH to play behind for the next 2-3 years

3. Stud Dman a quality #1 or #2A Dman who can play 25 min a night in addition to the players listed

I'd be unhappy if that was the third line next year but he does have a crap load of work to do this summer. Good luck Mact

Old
04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
S Crumb

Sorry if it has been said here already but I like the idea of the Oilers going after someone like Seabrook. Very tough to know if players like him are available and what it will cost but he is the type of guy we really need. The two forwards I would try for are Stewart and Dubinsky. Again, very tough to know how available these guys are but Mac T needs to be putting some offers together to get skill sets like these. They fill very obvious holes and I believe are obtainable if we are prepared to pay. It is too bad Hemsky is so fragile because a package centered around him to Columbus would have made a lot of sense.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
40oz

If I'm not mistaken Methot was his partner at the start of the season too.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
This would be a move to improve the team - so the Oilers would need to offer something to the Capitals to make a deal work.

I could see something like Lander for Orlov, Oilers would probably need to add a mid-round pick.
Hmm, maybe, I'd rather see Hartikainen go instead (if that's possible). Orlov is small though, only 5'11" (according to eliteprospects)

I like this guy, but I'm not sure how much better it makes the Oilers going forward. I'd rather see the Oilers make a larger move with Gagner for Alzner or something.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Psychoil

Has anyone been watching the wings coyotes game? Man Justin abdelkader is hitting everything in sight, he's so fast too, and he's been pissing off the coyotes....either we need to get him or make MPS like him

Old
04-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
It's looking like a top 5 pick is getting more and more likely.

30, 30, 29, 26-25?

sigh.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:21 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
I'm looking for the Klef thread and all I get is the trade thread

Old
04-22-2013, 08:36 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Klefbom thread hit 1000+ posts (was at 999 when I last looked) and some strange stuff happens sometimes after 1000 posts in a thread which is why they lock them after 40 pages and 1000 posts. That's likely why that thread isn't working properly now.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:12 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
It's looking like a top 5 pick is getting more and more likely.

30, 30, 29, 26-25?

sigh.
Pitts 2002-2006
26, 29, 30, 30*, 29

Yeah it sucks, but if we get the right pieces it can work down the road. A big-ish 2nd C or a top pairing D would really solidify this team, and with 5+ of those options on the table this year, if we had to suck one more year, at least it was a good draft year to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'm pretty sure the Klefbom thread hit 1000+ posts (was at 999 when I last looked) and some strange stuff happens sometimes after 1000 posts in a thread which is why they lock them after 40 pages and 1000 posts. That's likely why that thread isn't working properly now.
A J Schultz debate popped up at the end of it, so I moved that to the trade thread. If you are trying to reply to a post that was moved it will take you to this thread.

There is also a new Klefbom thread up as the old one was reaching 1000.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Paralyzer008

They just said on Sportsnet that the Oilers should move Hall, RNH or Yakupov and they can because of the emergence of Sam Gagner.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
They just said on Sportsnet that the Oilers should move Hall, RNH or Yakupov and they can because of the emergence of Sam Gagner.

Maybe bring back storts to take Yaks spot too

Old
04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Maybe bring back storts to take Yaks spot too
I think there was a mention of bringing back Sheldon Souray somehow

They also said the Oilers "don't have as good of a chance to get first or second overall this year (obviously haven't been watching), and also said the Oilers should go after Mike Smith or Ray Emery as a free agent, or Sergei Bobrovsky

Closed Thread