HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
  #451
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,165
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
ah ok thanks BD. Its always the bonuses that catch me.

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.
c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.
I was under the impression that Luongo's cap will actually increase to combat the "back diving" contract he signed, no?

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
  #452
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
is it possible that Luongo could play for the duration of his contract?

Sure... he will be what 43 when his contract expires.

Is it likely? Nope. He'll probably retire before he hits 40.

Which means that any team stuck with his contract when he retires in the new CBA will be penalized for the remaining cap amount.

"Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013."

Ouch. this could hurt any team with the luongo contract really badly. No wonder he (his contract) is practically worthless right now.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
  #453
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I was under the impression that Luongo's cap will actually increase to combat the "back diving" contract he signed, no?
haha, yes I just posted my following comment after you. In my previous comment I was assuming that he was still playing and not retired. if he retires before his contract expires, his cap hit gets worse.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  #454
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,165
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
is it possible that Luongo could play for the duration of his contract?

Sure... he will be what 43 when his contract expires.

Is it likely? Nope. He'll probably retire before he hits 40.

Which means that any team stuck with his contract when he retires in the new CBA will be penalized for the remaining cap amount.

"Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013."

Ouch. this could hurt any team with the luongo contract really badly. No wonder he (his contract) is practically worthless right now.
He's a compliance buyout, I don't see anyway around it for the Nucks, especially if it's true they turned down Toronto.

I guess Vancouver has to decide which player is less painful to keep, Ballard or Booth.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
  #455
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,756
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
ah ok thanks BD. Its always the bonuses that catch me.

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.

c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.
People worry about Yak, Rnh and Schultz, but why do we have to pay these guys? Subban and Del Zotto never got the big money so maybe it's time to make a stand. Subban had character flaws according to some and he doesn't seem to be playing like he's pissed off that he didn't get the big deal.

Even RNH, not sure how you look into a 5+ year deal with him unless he gets 80 points next year. We signed Hall and Eberle last summer, in hindsight I really don't know that we saved anything by signing them early.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
  #456
Bobblehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Fans love Bogosian.

Most of their fans want to trade Big Buff and Enstrome before Bogosian. Chipman and co. love Bogo too. No chance.
Didn't say it had to be Bogo. I'm happy with Enstrom also....not as sure about Byfuglien (Penner falshbacks!). Winnipeg is like Edmonton when it comes to the UFA map (without the front office drama). They have to rely on trades or UFAs like Jokinen, Belanger et al...... Since you can get blood out a of a stone, I merely suggested that the teams could be a fit as their best center going into next season is Jokinen (10th in team scoring w/ 14pts) followed by Jim Slater at 2 pts. They'll probably resign Burmitsev and hope he can score more than 28 points.

Then again we're Oiler fans....who needs good centers, right?

Bobblehead is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
  #457
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
People worry about Yak, Rnh and Schultz, but why do we have to pay these guys? Subban and Del Zotto never got the big money so maybe it's time to make a stand. Subban had character flaws according to some and he doesn't seem to be playing like he's pissed off that he didn't get the big deal.

Even RNH, not sure how you look into a 5+ year deal with him unless he gets 80 points next year. We signed Hall and Eberle last summer, in hindsight I really don't know that we saved anything by signing them early.
True, the Oilers could hold firm on RNH on his next contract. I could see a short term two year lower value contract, but that can't continue indefinitely. Eventually top notch players like RNH and Yak will get paid, and it will probably be during the same lifespan as Eberle and Hall's $6 million contracts.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
  #458
oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
ah ok thanks BD. Its always the bonuses that catch me.

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.

c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.
Don't think the Oilers will be in cap trouble. Look at the Ducks for example, Getzlaf and Perry makes over 17M combined. The Pens with Malkin and Crosby @ over 17M. The cap is going down next yr but it'll rise back up to around 70M. As long as our top 6 combined is making around 29-30M then we're fine.

oilwings is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
  #459
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,756
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
True, the Oilers could hold firm on RNH on his next contract. I could see a short term two year lower value contract, but that can't continue indefinitely. Eventually top notch players like RNH and Yak will get paid, and it will probably be during the same lifespan as Eberle and Hall's $6 million contracts.
Eventually they'll get there, but no reason to lock into something early. Schultz especially.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  #460
jeetz
Registered User
 
jeetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
I believe MacT should assemble his key pieces first then build around them. For me this would be:

Hall .... Eberle
.... RNH Yak
MPS Lander Harti
Brown .... ....

..... Petry
Smid JShultz
.... Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
.....

Everyone else it a tradable asset or a UFA not to be back. The only condition in my opinion is that whoever MacT has coming back is an up grade for who they replace and gives our roster better balance.

The 3 things front and center for Mact listed from easiest to hardest, but MUST be adressed are:

1. A backup goalie that can provide competition for Dubie and play a quality 20-25 games

2. A #1 center that can allow RNH to play behind for the next 2-3 years

3. Stud Dman a quality #1 or #2A Dman who can play 25 min a night in addition to the players listed

jeetz is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
  #461
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Nick Schultz has had to baby sit to an extent, plus the Oilers lack of depth isn't his fault.

Tom Gilbert has been a Healthy Scratch on a number of occasions this season, the Oilers are getting the better the end of that deal, not by much, but they are.

To your point on Orlov, why do the Caps move him if he's got that potential and he's cheap?
This would be a move to improve the team - so the Oilers would need to offer something to the Capitals to make a deal work.

I could see something like Lander for Orlov, Oilers would probably need to add a mid-round pick.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 06:30 PM
  #462
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Hmm... Sergei Gonchar is Karlsson's partner in Ottawa right? And I think he's a UFA isn't he?
Gonchar had Cowen and Phillips last year and Phillips this year

Bergeron47 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
  #463
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
is it possible that Luongo could play for the duration of his contract?

Sure... he will be what 43 when his contract expires.

Is it likely? Nope. He'll probably retire before he hits 40.

Which means that any team stuck with his contract when he retires in the new CBA will be penalized for the remaining cap amount.

"Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013."

Ouch. this could hurt any team with the luongo contract really badly. No wonder he (his contract) is practically worthless right now.
If Luongo plays for another 6/9 years, the penalty also applies to the Nucks, does it not?

frag2 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
  #464
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
I believe MacT should assemble his key pieces first then build around them. For me this would be:

Hall .... Eberle
.... RNH Yak
MPS Lander Harti
Brown .... ....

..... Petry
Smid JShultz
.... Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
.....

Everyone else it a tradable asset or a UFA not to be back. The only condition in my opinion is that whoever MacT has coming back is an up grade for who they replace and gives our roster better balance.

The 3 things front and center for Mact listed from easiest to hardest, but MUST be adressed are:

1. A backup goalie that can provide competition for Dubie and play a quality 20-25 games

2. A #1 center that can allow RNH to play behind for the next 2-3 years

3. Stud Dman a quality #1 or #2A Dman who can play 25 min a night in addition to the players listed

I'd be unhappy if that was the third line next year but he does have a crap load of work to do this summer. Good luck Mact

KlimasLoveChild is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
  #465
S Crumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Sorry if it has been said here already but I like the idea of the Oilers going after someone like Seabrook. Very tough to know if players like him are available and what it will cost but he is the type of guy we really need. The two forwards I would try for are Stewart and Dubinsky. Again, very tough to know how available these guys are but Mac T needs to be putting some offers together to get skill sets like these. They fill very obvious holes and I believe are obtainable if we are prepared to pay. It is too bad Hemsky is so fragile because a package centered around him to Columbus would have made a lot of sense.

S Crumb is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
  #466
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,756
vCash: 500
If I'm not mistaken Methot was his partner at the start of the season too.

40oz is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
  #467
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,165
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
This would be a move to improve the team - so the Oilers would need to offer something to the Capitals to make a deal work.

I could see something like Lander for Orlov, Oilers would probably need to add a mid-round pick.
Hmm, maybe, I'd rather see Hartikainen go instead (if that's possible). Orlov is small though, only 5'11" (according to eliteprospects)

I like this guy, but I'm not sure how much better it makes the Oilers going forward. I'd rather see the Oilers make a larger move with Gagner for Alzner or something.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
  #468
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Has anyone been watching the wings coyotes game? Man Justin abdelkader is hitting everything in sight, he's so fast too, and he's been pissing off the coyotes....either we need to get him or make MPS like him

Psychoil is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:17 PM
  #469
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 6964
It's looking like a top 5 pick is getting more and more likely.

30, 30, 29, 26-25?

sigh.

Gret99zky is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:21 PM
  #470
dixs35
Registered User
 
dixs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 250
I'm looking for the Klef thread and all I get is the trade thread

dixs35 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:36 PM
  #471
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,726
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
I'm looking for the Klef thread and all I get is the trade thread
I'm pretty sure the Klefbom thread hit 1000+ posts (was at 999 when I last looked) and some strange stuff happens sometimes after 1000 posts in a thread which is why they lock them after 40 pages and 1000 posts. That's likely why that thread isn't working properly now.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:12 PM
  #472
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
It's looking like a top 5 pick is getting more and more likely.

30, 30, 29, 26-25?

sigh.
Pitts 2002-2006
26, 29, 30, 30*, 29

Yeah it sucks, but if we get the right pieces it can work down the road. A big-ish 2nd C or a top pairing D would really solidify this team, and with 5+ of those options on the table this year, if we had to suck one more year, at least it was a good draft year to do it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
I'm looking for the Klef thread and all I get is the trade thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'm pretty sure the Klefbom thread hit 1000+ posts (was at 999 when I last looked) and some strange stuff happens sometimes after 1000 posts in a thread which is why they lock them after 40 pages and 1000 posts. That's likely why that thread isn't working properly now.
A J Schultz debate popped up at the end of it, so I moved that to the trade thread. If you are trying to reply to a post that was moved it will take you to this thread.

There is also a new Klefbom thread up as the old one was reaching 1000.

s7ark is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
  #473
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,345
vCash: 500
They just said on Sportsnet that the Oilers should move Hall, RNH or Yakupov and they can because of the emergence of Sam Gagner.


Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
  #474
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
They just said on Sportsnet that the Oilers should move Hall, RNH or Yakupov and they can because of the emergence of Sam Gagner.

Maybe bring back storts to take Yaks spot too

KlimasLoveChild is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
  #475
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Maybe bring back storts to take Yaks spot too
I think there was a mention of bringing back Sheldon Souray somehow

They also said the Oilers "don't have as good of a chance to get first or second overall this year (obviously haven't been watching), and also said the Oilers should go after Mike Smith or Ray Emery as a free agent, or Sergei Bobrovsky

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.