HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
SterlingArcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd like to see what the Oilers would do in a case like this... if they were choosing 6th...

1 Jones
2 MacKinnon
3 Barkov
4 Monahan
5 Lindholm
6 ?

They'd have to choose between Drouin, Nichushkin and Nurse. I'm really curious to know who they'd take in that situation.
If they don't like it they may trade it. I think that's worse case scenario you have put up there. I really feel they will either continue to slip till end of season or try to trade up and get their guy.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
oilerfan17

Here's another one of Lindholm:

He really does look like Nuge at times in these videos. The edge work, the stick handling. Looks to have Yakupov's physicality too. Keep in mind too that this video was compiled from only six WJC games, so it's not like these are a few plays cherry picked from an entire season. Lindholm would look good on the Oilers.

Now the only question becomes where you rank him relative to Monahan.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I like Lindholm. I would be very content with the Oilers taking him. He has put up very incredible numbers and a Forsberg frame isn't anything to complain about in a C.

I will trust that the amateur scouts can do their job when not given a 1st overall, and will know who to choose. I hope for Jones or one of the 4 Cs

Here are some Lindholm highlights. He looks like he'd be a great 2nd C behind Nuge.

Kind of, to me, looks like a center ice version of Daniel Afredsson, which would be a hell of player.

He looks very strong on his feet. I think the Oilers would be hard pressed to "go wrong" with any of Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm or Nurse.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:29 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Drouin, why is this even a question? If Jones and Mac are off the board, you take Drouin.
I'd like to see who the OILERS would take though... not sure it's so cut and dried that they'd take Drouin in that case.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Drouin, why is this even a question? If Jones and Mac are off the board, you take Drouin.
I could see them trading down 2-3 spots in that scenario. If Drouin falls to 6, he may fall even lower.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Delicious Pancakes

What if everything goes right/wrong and the Oilers are picking 4th and the draft shakes out like this:

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Nichuschkin
4. ???

The Oilers get a call from the team picking 6th who really want Drouin. Do they trade down knowing they're gonna get either Monahan or Barkov at the 6th pick for another early 2nd, or a player who is actually a good bottom six player or #4 defenseman? I guess it depends how close Monahan and Barkov are in the scouts' eyes.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:47 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Here's another one of Lindholm:

He really does look like Nuge at times in these videos. The edge work, the stick handling. Looks to have Yakupov's physicality too. Keep in mind too that this video was compiled from only six WJC games, so it's not like these are a few plays cherry picked from an entire season. Lindholm would look good on the Oilers.

Now the only question becomes where you rank him relative to Monahan.
Personally I've got him above Monahan, think I'll be in the minority on this board though.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
What if everything goes right/wrong and the Oilers are picking 4th and the draft shakes out like this:

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Nichuschkin
4. ???

The Oilers get a call from the team picking 6th who really want Drouin. Do they trade down knowing they're gonna get either Monahan or Barkov at the 6th pick for another early 2nd, or a player who is actually a good bottom six player or #4 defenseman? I guess it depends how close Monahan and Barkov are in the scouts' eyes.

You take Drouin and run. Unless someone is calling with an actual NHL vets.

A top 6 of

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Drouin-Gagner-Yakupov

Isn't that bad move out Gagner or RNH for a big center. Don't need elite centers when you have 4 elite wingers.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Gagner just doesn't play a physical, "bigger than his size" type game though and he's not defensively superior... he's mediocre to average at best in his own end. Gotta give him an A for effort in the fighting department though... no one can question his heart.

Every player is of course different and 2 players at 5'11 and 190 lbs can have radically different playing styles and skillsets.
He may be listed 5 11 but there is no way he is that tall. Stood near him once - he is tiny.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Personally I've got him above Monahan, think I'll be in the minority on this board though.
I think the consensus is that Lindholm is better than Monahan. It'd be a tough choice because I think Monahan fits us better, but I'm usually of the opinion that you take the BPA. This year I feel like we should consider drafting for need if the players available are close.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:22 PM
SterlingArcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I don't think your wrong in that at all but all these guys are bunched up together in that bpa area that taking the guy who is one spot lower but bigger wont hurt you that much at all. Fr a team like ours that is easy to play against and at times lacks effort and size we need to bring in those guys who bring that element. So this year maybe you value need a little more than bpa.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:33 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I think the consensus is that Lindholm is better than Monahan. It'd be a tough choice because I think Monahan fits us better, but I'm usually of the opinion that you take the BPA. This year I feel like we should consider drafting for need if the players available are close.
Faceoffs will be a big thing for us, and that is a Monahan strength. I don't know anything about Lindholm on the draw, does anyone have any reports about him on that?

Old
04-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
I'd like to see what the Oilers would do in a case like this... if they were choosing 6th...

1 Jones
2 MacKinnon
3 Barkov
4 Monahan
5 Lindholm
6 ?

They'd have to choose between Drouin, Nichushkin and Nurse. I'm really curious to know who they'd take in that situation.
Even though I want some size and a center or defenceman, you have to take Drouin at that spot. It would be stupid to pass him up from there.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Nichuschkin
4. ???

Everything I've heard tells me Barkov is >> Monahan. But I don't really know anything.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:49 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

From the main boards, a pick swap with Phoenix

Gormley + 1st (9)
for
1st (6)

Theoretically, Gormley + Lazar for Monahan?
Yea? Nay? Don't give a damn?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Welcome to the oilers Monahan/Barkov/Lindholm. You better bring your A game...for the golf course that is...because you won't be making the playoffs as long as you are on this team!

Old
04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:

1. Jones
2. Mackinnon
3. Nichuschkin
4. ???

Without a doubt you take Drouin. The guy is Claude Giroux v2.0. You have no idea what your team might look like in 5 years, so you take the BPA. Trade Gagner + 2014 1st for a bigger C (if that trade is out there).

Old
04-23-2013, 12:06 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Faceoffs will be a big thing for us, and that is a Monahan strength. I don't know anything about Lindholm on the draw, does anyone have any reports about him on that?
He's at 58% according to Brynas' site.

He's only taken 67 draws though.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Soundwave

Nugent Hopkins
Gagner
Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov

Down the middle would be strong.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I could see them trading down 2-3 spots in that scenario. If Drouin falls to 6, he may fall even lower.
Drouin won't fall past 3, guaranteed. I could see Mackinnon falling if anyone does out of the big 4.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Nugent Hopkins
Gagner
Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov

Down the middle would be strong.
That's what I'm hoping for. If all we have to worry about is a 4th line center, that's great. Once Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov surpass Gagner, then you trade him. But I'd be happy with RNH, Gagner, Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov long-term if everyone fits under the cap.

I'm glad we're bombing right now to be honest. I'd rather have a shot at drafting one of those centers than draft a dman around 5-8. Those centers will probably play in the NHL right away and a dman like Nurse or Pulock could be 2-3 years away, maybe more.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:44 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Drouin won't fall past 3, guaranteed. I could see Mackinnon falling if anyone does out of the big 4.
It will be an interesting draft, if the Oilers end up with a 6th overall or higher. MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm are exactly what this team needs and by the look of it, at least one of the above-mentioned guys should be available when the Oilers pick.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:01 AM
timekeep

Quote:

1 Jones
2 MacKinnon
3 Barkov
4 Monahan
5 Lindholm
6 ?

Quote:
Drouin, or you start trade talks.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:10 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
From the main boards, a pick swap with Phoenix

Gormley + 1st (9)
for
1st (6)

Theoretically, Gormley + Lazar for Monahan?
Yea? Nay? Don't give a damn?
Thats pretty interesting, I like Monahan though. I haven't seen Gormley for a while, it depends if it looks like he is ready to be a top 4 dmen or not.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:20 AM
BarDownBobo

At what point would you consider drafting that Tyler Hill? I know he's kind of the joke that RLR has top 10 or whatever, but he seems like he could turn out to be a good power forward. Sounds like he's got a way better skillset than Moroz...

Also maybe worth noting that the Ottawa 67s apparently own his OHL rights, maybe if the Oil were to pick Monahan they could convince Hill to join him there....just thinking out loud....

Closed Thread