HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Playoff Avatar Discussion

View Poll Results: Preferred Avatar Theme
Grumpy Cat 26 52.00%
Lord of the Rings 14 28.00%
The System 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
  #151
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
This group hasn't been self deprecating, they've largely been self loathing. Huge difference.
That's what one cup in 70 yrs will do for you. lol

Kershaw is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
  #152
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,055
vCash: 50
Nothing will ever beat Aliens anyway.

It's all moot!

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:04 PM
  #153
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Nothing will ever beat Aliens anyway.

It's all moot!
You apparently do not remember the '16 Wins Later' theme from the '08 season. Gomez looking like a zombie (the way he played on the ice), how could you possibly beat that?

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
  #154
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Nothing will ever beat Aliens anyway.

It's all moot!
GOAT avatar theme.

Maybe a late suggestion, but what about something with Han Solo "Never Tell me the Odds"?

That could fit in line when we play the Penguins, who are heavily favored. lol.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
  #155
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Paradox View Post
You apparently do not remember the '16 Wins Later' theme from the '08 season. Gomez looking like a zombie (the way he played on the ice), how could you possibly beat that?
Looks at join date.

Looks back at Perfect Paradox.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
  #156
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Where's a sample of the system? No offense, but I hate the first 2. So sick of "grumpy cat" memes on facebook. When did that become a thing? It was funny the first time maybe. It's also a very girly thing. I've never seen a grumpy cat meme shared by a dude.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
  #157
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Paradox View Post
You apparently do not remember the '16 Wins Later' theme from the '08 season. Gomez looking like a zombie (the way he played on the ice), how could you possibly beat that?
Aliens IMO was much better. Really funny. These first 2 are bad, no offense to who came up with them. Seriously, the grumpy cat has been REALLY played out on facebook. I don't know why we're bringing it to hockey. Not very appropriate for hockey avatars either.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
  #158
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Where's a sample of the system? No offense, but I hate the first 2. So sick of "grumpy cat" memes on facebook. When did that become a thing? It was funny the first time maybe. It's also a very girly thing. I've never seen a grumpy cat meme shared by a dude.
The poll was made prematurely and no system example was made yet.

__________________

rip
Ail is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
  #159
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Looks at join date.

Looks back at Perfect Paradox.
Freakin' rookies, man.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
  #160
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,055
vCash: 50
Probably end up scrapping this entire poll and starting anew. Let's clinch first!

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
  #161
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 37,050
vCash: 500
I voted for grumpy cat and here's what I want mine to be:

Opening frame with Sam and Joe: "Kessel hasn't scored in 12 games!"

Frame 2:



"4 goals later....."

Grumpy Cat: "Thanks Sam"

__________________
Machinehead is online now  
Old
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM
  #162
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,491
vCash: 500
Not a fan of the angry cat, nor the LOTR theme, then I'm a system kind of guy. As a proposal to contribute, I'm actually suggesting using quotes from Sun Tzu's book "The art of War." Although the text lines are rather long, that would be an issue.

For example...
"There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard."
"Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack."
"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack."
"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance."
"If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near."
"To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence."
"When envoys are sent with compliments in their mouths, it is a sign that the enemy wishes for a truce."
"When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move."

Callahan: "A leader leads by example not by force."
Hagelin: "Speed is the essence of war."
Zuccarello: "Great results can be achieved with small forces."
Richards: "All war is based on deception."
Boyle: "A military operation involves deception. Though effective, appear to be ineffective."
Asham (or someone more fitting): "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him."
Stepan: "Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate."
Lundqvist: "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster" or "Ponder and deliberate before you make a move."
Nash: "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
Girardi: "Thus the expert in battle moves the enemy, and is not moved by him."


Last edited by Chimp: 04-23-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Chimp is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:06 PM
  #163
EpicDing
The Fellowship
 
EpicDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
So we should probably consider this some more.

EpicDing is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:08 PM
  #164
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,781
vCash: 500
I throw in a vote for "Anything can happen!"

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
  #165
RangersAM99
Registered User
 
RangersAM99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500

RangersAM99 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:19 PM
  #166
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,965
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
I throw in a vote for "Anything can happen!"
This.

Works well with my current avy, too.

"Hat trick in his first NHL game?"

"Anything can happen!"

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
  #167
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 12,453
vCash: 69
+1 for "Anything can happen"...the possibilities are infinite.

Aufheben is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
  #168
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Definitely prefer "the system" over anything can happen. I don't think people outside of the Ranger board would understand the sarcasm behind the theme.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
  #169
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
I throw in a vote for "Anything can happen!"
Was going to suggest this after all the downers on this board have been jumping all over the optimists lately. But wanted to wait to clinch after Tuesday's performance. It works for both sides -- the downers can use it sarcastically/self-deprecating; the optimists can use it in a positive way.

Minus one vote for grumpy cat - plus one for anything can happen.

Richter Scale is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 08:45 AM
  #170
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
Was going to suggest this after all the downers on this board have been jumping all over the optimists lately. But wanted to wait to clinch after Tuesday's performance. It works for both sides -- the downers can use it sarcastically/self-deprecating; the optimists can use it in a positive way.

Minus one vote for grumpy cat - plus one for anything can happen.
Jumping all over the optimists?

Please, it's quite the contrary; the optimists are the biggest and most arrogant "I told you so" crowd on this board. Meanwhile those of us who are skeptical have humbly eaten crow several times over the past two seasons. Oddly enough until recent history the skeptics and cynics have had a largely disproportionate amount of chances to throw it in the faces of the positive pushers, yet most remain silent because the actions of this franchise speaks for itself. We don't feel the need to throw salt in any open wounds. Until this team proves itself for more than one anomalous 82 game season of over-achievement, there is still no rational reason to believe we are wrong.

On topic, I think a new thread needs to be started and the vote restarted. If people feel the need to deliberate longer for more ideas then so be it. If one of the mods could lock this and start anew it would be appreciated.

Ail is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
  #171
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
I really think you should go with LOTR-theme. Why not have one with hope in it. And you could easily connect a lot of characters from the movies to the players. And it's similar with the "storyline" as well. On your way last season(it seemed) and then the setback, but still going on now.

Grumpy Cat is just boring and mainstream.

The System is also something you kind of had before (Torts kind of guy). Besides if going with something like this, "The System" is also pretty mainstream. Then it would have to be something like "System override" or "Theres a virus in the System" ---> hence breaking out of it to win.

SirKillalot is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
  #172
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,242
vCash: 500
Id like to nominate "New York Retards."

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  #173
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Jumping all over the optimists?

Please, it's quite the contrary; the optimists are the biggest and most arrogant "I told you so" crowd on this board. Meanwhile those of us who are skeptical have humbly eaten crow several times over the past two seasons. Oddly enough until recent history the skeptics and cynics have had a largely disproportionate amount of chances to throw it in the faces of the positive pushers, yet most remain silent because the actions of this franchise speaks for itself. We don't feel the need to throw salt in any open wounds. Until this team proves itself for more than one anomalous 82 game season of over-achievement, there is still no rational reason to believe we are wrong.

On topic, I think a new thread needs to be started and the vote restarted. If people feel the need to deliberate longer for more ideas then so be it. If one of the mods could lock this and start anew it would be appreciated.
Yeah, when several people go out of their way as the first thing they say after a win to clinch playoffs, to say something along the lines of "You're all fools for being excited for the playoffs" -- that is jumping all over the optimists.

And ya know what? I completely understand why you guys are pessimistic with this team's history. I just can't imagine it makes it fun to watch the games that way/be a fan.

But wow, defensive much? I was relating why the idea is relevant now, explaining why I like it, and giving a reason why it would work for both sides...

You can make your jokes about this being a bad team/fanbase being crazy stupid. Others can make self-deprecating jokes. And still others can use it to express confidence in the team.

Richter Scale is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
  #174
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
Yea, I like "anything can happen"

nyrpassion is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  #175
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
Yeah, when several people go out of their way as the first thing they say after a win to clinch playoffs, to say something along the lines of "You're all fools for being excited for the playoffs" -- that is jumping all over the optimists.

And ya know what? I completely understand why you guys are pessimistic with this team's history. I just can't imagine it makes it fun to watch the games that way/be a fan.

But wow, defensive much? I was relating why the idea is relevant now, explaining why I like it, and giving a reason why it would work for both sides...

You can make your jokes about this being a bad team/fanbase being crazy stupid. Others can make self-deprecating jokes. And still others can use it to express confidence in the team.
As far as I read it wasn't several people, it was only me and never once did I call anyone foolish. It's hilarious however for a brief period of time in the 3rd last night it was suddenly the cool thing to doubt the team and accept reality, until they tied it and won. It then became cool to once again think faniciful thoughts and hope against rationality that this team is something they are not whilst dumping on the few of us who stand by our convictions.

Anyway, "anything can happen" is the poster child of this team. I don't think any other theme even comes close to touching it.

Ail is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.