HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It seems very likely we will be facing the leafs...

Old
04-22-2013, 11:17 PM
DJ Breadman

vCash: 500
If we play the leafs in round one we will prob win but it'll cost us, they have beat us up physically this year

DJ Breadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Look at it this way..Ottawa owned the Leafs in the regular season back in the day and when they faced one another in the post season...bye bye Ottawa. Play offs are an entire different entity.

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Both teams have around the same number of regulars with 7 games or less of playoff experience. Habs have Pacioretty-Bourque-Galchenyuk-Desharnais-Eller-Gallagher-Diaz-Weber/Drewiske.

Toronto has Bozak-Kadri-Grabovski-McClement-Kulemin-Komarov-Frattin/MacArthur-Gunnarsson-Fraser-Reimer.

I think you guys are overstating the experience angle quite a bit. We have PLENTY of playoff inexperienced players in our ranks.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Both teams have around the same number of regulars with 7 games or less of playoff experience. Habs have Pacioretty-Bourque-Galchenyuk-Desharnais-Eller-Gallagher-Diaz-Weber/Drewiske.

Toronto has Bozak-Kadri-Grabovski-McClement-Kulemin-Komarov-Frattin/MacArthur-Gunnarsson-Fraser-Reimer.

I think you guys are overstating the experience angle quite a bit. We have PLENTY of playoff inexperienced players in our ranks.
Not at all. The most playoff games any player on their team has played is 39. Gionta has 93. Ryder has 70. Moen has 68. All three of these players have also won a Stanley Cup and know what it takes to win. Not a single Toronto Maple Leaf player has ever won the cup, and worse, not one player on that roster has played a single playoff game as a Toronto Maple Leaf. Only 8 Leafs players has been in more than 4 playoff games.

Huge difference and it will be an important one. Having players who know what it takes to win a Stanley Cup is a pretty important aspect to a playoff team.

JohnLennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:06 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Not at all. The most playoff games any player on their team has played is 39. Gionta has 93. Ryder has 70. Moen has 68. All three of these players have also won a Stanley Cup and know what it takes to win. Not a single Toronto Maple Leaf player has ever won the cup, and worse, not one player on that roster has played a single playoff game as a Toronto Maple Leaf. Only 8 Leafs players has been in more than 4 playoff games.

Huge difference and it will be an important one. Having players who know what it takes to win a Stanley Cup is a pretty important aspect to a playoff team.
You are an eternal optimist.

I like that.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Ok, let's go with 7 games.

I took the top 10 players in scoring for both teams, and then added up the total PO games for those who played at least 8 or more. We basically don't count the games from Eller and DD who have 7 and 5 respectively.

Habs 273
Leafs = 134,

It only gets worse for the Leafs after this.

Kessel = 15
Kadri= 0
JVR = 39
Phaneuf = 25
Bozak = 0
Franson= 16
Kumelin = 0
MacArthur = 0
Grabovski = 0
Lupul = 39

Habs

MaxPac - 0
Subban - 21
Plekanec - 47
Markov - 49
DD - 5
Gionta - 93
BGally - 0
Eller - 7
AGal - 0
Ryder - 70

Last edited by coolasprICE: 04-23-2013 at 12:37 AM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:16 AM
bdawg1989*

Playoff experience is SO overrated...
You think finally Gionta will stop sucking and stop doing the same useless slap shot when entering the zone because it's the playoffs ??? Lol come on guys. You think Kadri will somehow start to Play horribly because he has no playoff experience ???

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:29 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
You think finally Gionta will stop sucking and stop doing the same useless slap shot when entering the zone because it's the playoffs ??? Lol come on guys. You think Kadri will somehow start to Play horribly because he has no playoff experience ???
Yes, it matters. I rather face adversity with a team of vets. Young players are more fragile emotionally. Confidence can take a huge dip when faced with adversity while vets with experience know how to stay focused and calm.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post

True, we have more guys who have a significant amount of playoff experience than they do, but their core is fairly experienced: Lupul and JVR (both with 39 games) have gone to the Conference Finals or further. Kessel has 15 games of experience, including 2 series against us, so it would be nothing new for him. Phaneuf has 25 games.

I will agree that where us having more playoff experience may be the difference is in net, but if Price doesn't pull it together, it won't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Habs

MaxPac - 7
Subban - 21
Plekanec - 47
Markov - 49
DD - 5
Gionta - 93
BGally - 0
Eller - 7
AGal - 0
Ryder - 70
Max Pac has 0 games.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Max Pac has 0 games.
edited, 273 vs 134..

Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
True, we have more guys who have a significant amount of playoff experience than they do, but their core is fairly experienced: Lupul and JVR (both with 39 games) have gone to the Conference Finals or further. Kessel has 15 games of experience, including 2 series against us, so it would be nothing new for him. Phaneuf has 25 games.

I will agree that where us having more playoff experience may be the difference is in net, but if Price doesn't pull it together, it won't matter.

Max Pac has 0 games.
I don't even know why this is a debate.

Who on the Leafs has 1) substantial playoff experience, 2) played a big role during a playoff run and 3) can lead based on playoff experience. Who brings that veteran presence on the Leafs?

A lot of the guys who have experienced the playoffs on their team 1) haven't experienced them recently and 2) were young guys on the team who were most likely following other guys instead of leading them.

Guys like Gionta, Moen, Ryder, Markov and Gorges know a lot more, and have experienced a lot more, i.e., their experience has weight. Heck, even Subban probably has more relevant experience.

Whether that actually helps the Habs or not remains to be seen. I suspect it's more useful as you progress through the rounds rather than in facing a new, young and hungry team in the 1st round.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:57 AM
caramelontop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Haha, it sounds to me like you are more scared than anyone. I imagine the players will look forward to an opportunity to take their respect back. The Habs not showing up at this point is the only saving grace. It would be worse if they had shown for all the games against the leafs and still had the same results.

After reading this habs PO board, here's my conclusion

Leafs:

Habs

Last edited by caramelontop: 04-23-2013 at 01:02 AM.
caramelontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:20 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post

Who on the Leafs has 1) substantial playoff experience, 2) played a big role during a playoff run and 3) can lead based on playoff experience. Who brings that veteran presence on the Leafs?

A lot of the guys who have experienced the playoffs on their team 1) haven't experienced them recently and 2) were young guys on the team who were most likely following other guys instead of leading them.

Guys like Gionta, Moen, Ryder, Markov and Gorges know a lot more, and have experienced a lot more, i.e., their experience has weight. Heck, even Subban probably has more relevant experience.

Whether that actually helps the Habs or not remains to be seen. I suspect it's more useful as you progress through the rounds rather than in facing a new, young and hungry team in the 1st round.
I don't think playoff experience is going to play any big role in this particular series. These two teams playing against each other will be a unique experience for everyone involved, including the vets.

Leafs can say though that their coach has won a cup, and hopefully Carlyle can help ease the team/pump them up.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:58 AM

Bring them.

It's a win-win situation.

You lose? Hopefully the management FINALLY understands that you need to get bigger/tougher (and I'm not only talking about fighting but size in general). Just stay off HFBoards for a long time to keep your sanity.

You win? Almost as good as eliminating the Bruins. And it would feel so good after all the Leafs fans 14 year olds were trolling our boards.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:06 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
It might very well happen.

Honestly.

Looking at Gionta's playoff experience we can see that historically his production does not take a hit, it goes up.

Kadri has proven nothing, its a flip of the coin since a lot of regular season performers get cold in the playoffs, especially when its their first time.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:15 AM
Bieber fever

Playoff experience is overated ! It might help if you are in the ECF or SCF, but in the first round it's not a big factor

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Play-off experience definitely matters especially for a goalie.

Reimer's never been in this situation before. If he starts to feel the pressure of being the starting goalie of the Leafs for the first play-off appearance in nearly a decade, he could very well fall apart. Especially since he's still a fundamentally flawed goaltender.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post

Pleky? Prust? Boullion? (say what you want, he has experience)

I also do think though that this experience thing is being overrated. The leafs have a great coach who's won a cup (with moen) and their players will not suddenly break down cuz it's the playoffs. Youth can sometimes produce exuberance and as long as you have a few guys (which they do), it can work out. As for goaltending: crapshoot. So so so mental and while an experienced goalie could be argued to be the better one, look at quick, holtby, smith, Howard, Crawford to name a few. You get hot, you get hot and right now Reimer is.

That said, I think he's pretty fragile and not a very good goalie to begin with. If Price just comes back to his average self, we're good. If he plays like he did last year, we're golden.

This week will be huge for both of them.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Overrated? Perhaps. That doesn't mean it isn't important though.
It's not about Gionta turning into Sydney Crosby and Kadri turning into Ben Maxwell.

It's about being prepared mentally, it's about helping your less experienced teammates stay levelheaded if you give up leads or lose games, it's also about elevating your game to a new level and by new level I mean fighting for pucks harder, crashing the net harder, accepting a couple more crosschecks in front of the net, being more disciplined, paying way more attention to details in coverage, no time for laziness and sloppy backchecks, sacrificing your body at every opportunity in order to get the puck out or dive in front of a shot, mentoring your less experienced teammates throughout this process and making them understand the important of every little detail, etc..

There's a reason why they say the regular season and the playoffs are two entirely different things. That's not cliché. It's not even comparable. The term ''PO performer'' didn't just come out of thin air.

Experience isn't everything. It's not because you have less of it that you will lose. But it definitely is an advantage.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You are an eternal optimist.

I like that.
Thank you Luckily I have at least SOME logic to my posts and it isn't blind optimism!

Quote:

They do have some players who have gone far in the playoffs, and some great playoff performers in players like Kessel. I just think (and hope) that winning a Stanley Cup is an important aspect to a playoff team, and the fact that we have more players with lots of playoff experience will help our young guys deal with the pressure and help our veterans step it up.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:52 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
I don't think playoff experience is going to play any big role in this particular series. These two teams playing against each other will be a unique experience for everyone involved, including the vets.

Leafs can say though that their coach has won a cup, and hopefully Carlyle can help ease the team/pump them up.
While this is a good point, I don't necessarily agree. The Habs had recently played a tough best-of-7 series against the Boston Bruins, who are considered their main rivals. That series went to overtime of game seven after the Habs tied it with no time to spare.

The game changes in the playoffs. Your style, your grit, your perception of the game all change, and it's important to have experienced that already in order to perform to the best of your capabilities. It can be very intimidating Not that it isn't possible for young players to play well in the playoffs, but the experience is important all the same.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
habsfanatics

As bad as we have been lately, which is a tad bit concerning, I don't really fear any Eastern Conference team other than maybe the Pens. I feel we match up favorably against both the B's and the leafs.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
habsfanatics

Experience is overrated imo. Star players don't forget how to play because it's the playoffs, either your team is good enough or it isn't.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Captain Saku

I'm not afraid of the Leafs.

In the past years we always beat Boston despite them being a lot more physical than us.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Overrated? Perhaps. That doesn't mean it isn't important though.
It's not about Gionta turning into Sydney Crosby and Kadri turning into Ben Maxwell.

It's about being prepared mentally, it's about helping your less experienced teammates stay levelheaded if you give up leads or lose games, it's also about elevating your game to a new level and by new level I mean fighting for pucks harder, crashing the net harder, accepting a couple more crosschecks in front of the net, being more disciplined, paying way more attention to details in coverage, no time for laziness and sloppy backchecks, sacrificing your body at every opportunity in order to get the puck out or dive in front of a shot, mentoring your less experienced teammates throughout this process and making them understand the important of every little detail, etc..

There's a reason why they say the regular season and the playoffs are two entirely different things. That's not cliché. It's not even comparable. The term ''PO performer'' didn't just come out of thin air.

Experience isn't everything. It's not because you have less of it that you will lose. But it definitely is an advantage.
This is exactly how I see it. It's the Briere/Cammalleri factor. Some players are fuelled by the pressure, others are crushed by it. The Habs have been awful the last 10 days, but that may have no bearing on what happens once the puck is dropped in Game-One. Let's hope, anyways. I have no question guys like Moen and Gionta will step it up in the playoffs, but have no idea what Price and the rest will do. All the number-crunching and stats won't make a difference then.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote