HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MAB sent down to Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not really. It can indeed be justified if we are discussing recent play.

In December, one player has 1 assist and is a -4 during that stretch while playing an average of 16 minutes per game.

In December, another player has 1 goal and is a +6 during that stretch while playing an average of 18 minutes per game.

Bergeron is player number 1. Semenov is player 2. Chalk it up to luck, bad bounces, etc. but Semenov has been playing better and has been given on average more minutes whether deserved or not.
Player 1 was a healthy scratch most of december. I tried to see for how many games but it took too long to find out. Prior to being scratched, he was +3 on the season and 2nd in defenceman scoring. I dont think those stats are worth scratching someone, especially a rookie.

This post wasn't a knock on Semenov. He has been getting better, even though he has to stop those horrible giveaways. I'm just saying Bergeron has been sent down to get his game back, not as a punishment. At least I hope so.

On another note, has anyone seen a way to find stats at a certain point of the season? For instance, what the players stats were on november 28th? Or players stats for the month of december or something like that?

Old
12-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Silver

Bergeron's played 27 games and has 11 points.

Semenov's played 21 games and has 2.

Another plus to Bergeron's game is that he stays out of the box. I can put up with a few defensive bobbles for that. Calling a 23 year old an AHL quality defenceman at best is probably uncalled for at this point. The guy's played one more game than Brian Leetch and has two less points.

After cooling down a bit, sending him to the Roadrunners right now is probably not a terrible idea, because if he's here MacT won't play him. I'm still not seeing MacT's rationale for...anything he does, basically.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
After cooling down a bit, sending him to the Roadrunners right now is probably not a terrible idea, because if he's here MacT won't play him. I'm still not seeing MacT's rationale for...anything he does, basically.
Well, hopefully he sent Bergeron down so the Oilers can get bigger with Luoma for the road trip out east, where bigger is the norm. Then in a couple weeks, swap em back and keep everyone playing for their position on the team.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:39 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Bergeron's played 27 games and has 11 points.

Semenov's played 21 games and has 2.
They are really not expected to do the same things out there on the ice now are they? It isn't very fair to make that comparison.

How about this one?

Bergeron 27 games, 11 pts.

Brewer 31 games, 7 pts.

But undoubtedly we'd still want Brewer playing.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:42 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Player 1 was a healthy scratch most of december. I tried to see for how many games but it took too long to find out. Prior to being scratched, he was +3 on the season and 2nd in defenceman scoring. I dont think those stats are worth scratching someone, especially a rookie.

This post wasn't a knock on Semenov. He has been getting better, even though he has to stop those horrible giveaways. I'm just saying Bergeron has been sent down to get his game back, not as a punishment. At least I hope so.
Oh I understand that.. just wanted to make a point that Semenov didn't deserve to be sent down either by any means of the imagination. In all likelihood, if the choice was between those two players... I think they chose the right one.

They both make horrible giveaways as do the rest of our defense... but you are right. He does have to fix up those defensive errors in his own zone while trying to make a breakout pass.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Cawz

Quote:
In all likelihood, if the choice was between those two players... I think they chose the right one.
If the choice was between those 2 players, I'd still pick Ferguson.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
If the choice was between those 2 players, I'd still pick Ferguson.
Hey. That's not fair.

Personally, I'd ship Laraque out of town regardless. I can live with 8 dmen.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Silver

I didn't start with the points argument though.

If I was the coach, Ferguson doesn't play unless someone is injured. Cross is next...

With the Oilers stellar penalty kill, staying out of the box is a good thing right now (obviously throwing out fights, I can't find stats that do that)
Bergeron is averaging 0.59 penalty minutes a game, Cross is averaging 1.09 minutes a game. IF Cross hasn't fought (and I don't think he has, correct me if I'm wrong, because that'll blow this theory out of the water) that more than makes up for the +4 Cross is in comparison to Bergeron.

Brewer is averaging .77...although Brewer's been playing better, I'm still disappointed in his offensive production. I'm thinking a lot of that is due to the off the glass and out system that we play though...

Stats wise, Bergeron is our best offensive defenceman. Why he is sitting out in the first place is beyond me.

Old
12-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Bergeron is player number 1. Semenov is player 2. Chalk it up to luck, bad bounces, etc. but Semenov has been playing better and has been given on average more minutes whether deserved or not.
Actually, the difference between Bergeron and Semenov is very small. Semenov looks extremely uncomfortable out there. He's handling the puck like it's a grenade. At least Bergeron passed and shot the puck with some force. Still agree he was sent down but it could have been Semenov.

Closed Thread