HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Visited Ottawa

Old
04-22-2013, 11:18 PM
booger

vCash: 500
How many more call ups from Bingo are we allowed? I wouldn't mind seeing Stone for that spark. Tired of all these small forwards who speed around a lot, but not much else.

booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
They were missing Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Martin, and Fleury... They had had absolutely NOTHING to play for and they still beat us... With their backup goalie...
I wouldn't say they had nothing to play for. Any team who coasts from now until the playoffs is going to get destroyed in the playoffs. An experienced post-season team such as Pittsburgh knows this. If only for confidence alone, it is better to go into the playoffs on a hot streak.

And I'd argue that Vokoun is at least on par with Fleury in terms of skill, and I would go one step ahead of that in arguing that he's more consistent. And, if he wanted to, he could easily be a starter on a different team. With that being said, he was clearly the difference maker tonight. I strongly believe the game would be ours if it wasn't for his stellar play.

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

After the first period, down 2-0, I knew this game was over. I'm not a pessimist, but our lack of finish that period was insane. Conacher on the open net and couldn't connect, Vokoun's glove save on Michalek, and a bunch of chances around the net we couldn't convert on.

It was similar in the Toronto game in a way. I knew if they scored before us, they'd take the game. We were buzzing and couldn't put the puck in the net. They stroke first and we couldn't recover.

MacLean is a great coach so I'm hoping he can get us out of this slump. Although we're a low-scoring team, we can usually put more than one in the net. Hopefully Karlsson is back on Thursday.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:39 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Disappointing game for sure, but not counting us out at all. We take care of Philly/Washington and things change back to good. Also, I thought Alfie was flying out there tonight, it really is going to be devastating when he retires, he is just so smart out there it's ridiculous.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Disappointing game for sure, but not counting us out at all. We take care of Philly/Washington and things change back to good. Also, I thought Alfie was flying out there tonight, it really is going to be devastating when he retires, he is just so smart out there it's ridiculous.
Couldn't agree with you more. His hockey IQ is off the charts. He makes everything look so easy and simple, even though it's not.

Also, why are we doing PGT's now?

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
After the first period, down 2-0, I knew this game was over. I'm not a pessimist, but our lack of finish that period was insane. Conacher on the open net and couldn't connect, Vokoun's glove save on Michalek, and a bunch of chances around the net we couldn't convert on.

It was similar in the Toronto game in a way. I knew if they scored before us, they'd take the game. We were buzzing and couldn't put the puck in the net. They stroke first and we couldn't recover.

MacLean is a great coach so I'm hoping he can get us out of this slump. Although we're a low-scoring team, we can usually put more than one in the net. Hopefully Karlsson is back on Thursday.
Pretty much this. Right now, our offense is anemic. We couldn't buy a goal with 100 shots on net. Weir's goal actually caught me by surprise. It seems like every team we're playing against just all clogs up the slot to block shots because none of our guys are a threat, and as long as they clear rebounds we can't do ****.

Really, I think the guys needs to get more selfish with the puck. Everybody needs to just shoot, from any angle where you can see both posts. And putting guys like Greening in front of the net wont cut it. The skill guys like Michalek or Turris, need to be in front of the net. They have the hands to get the rebounds over the goal line.

That said, it also seemed like the Sens weren't allowed any ice in the middle. The pens could just push our guys away from their net because interference has become not a thing that matters anymore

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
AlfredBundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc752 View Post
Not to take away from our ass game, but the Pens are also one of the hottest team in the league, injuries and all. Seven wins in a row now. It's difficult beating confidence.
They've only lost 2 games since February I think. 24 - 2 or something? Yeah.

AlfredBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:55 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Brennan's article about tonight's game is umm..wow. He talks about his balls in half of the article.

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
madinsomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredBundy View Post
They've only lost 2 games since February I think. 24 - 2 or something? Yeah.
they went undefeated in March...had that 15 game win streak... lost the first two games after crosby's injury, now have won 7 in a row. I dont think Crosby-Malkin and letang were all healthy together for more than a few of those games too, maybe none of them...

madinsomniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Another big game.... Another flop...

Why Matt Cooke wasnt taken care of in the last game still boggles my mind... Why wait 2 months and deal with all the media BS? Just deal with it and move on...

Once again the leadership group of this team fails to get the team going for a big game...

Im so sick of Kyle Turris lately... Is this guy 13 years old? Seems like hes always outmuscled, he is always gassed, falling down, gets tossed from 1/2 his draws... This guy isnt a rookie... He is going on his 3rd pro contract and he hasnt figured it out yet... A guy like Pageau plays with more sack and intensity than Turris...

Need to turn this around quick..
I see Turris hold the stick the opposing player every single time he goes into the corner. Between that, falling down & terrible decisions with the puck he is getting really annoying. I want him to do well so badly, but he always seem to come up short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
Is there a reason why the media doesn't question Paul MacLean a bit more? I'd ask the question bluntly, "what is your role in where the team is today"?
I'm wondering that as well. They NEVER give him a hard time. It's like they are all buddies or something.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:10 AM
JaredCowenFan
AKA CurtisLazarFan

Well I've learned to accept failure from my teams the past decades so it's not so bad but the Sens usually don't disappoint me.

Nice try boys..

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Honestly it felt like the Penguins had the Senators figured out from the get-go

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
they went undefeated in March...had that 15 game win streak... lost the first two games after crosby's injury, now have won 7 in a row. I dont think Crosby-Malkin and letang were all healthy together for more than a few of those games too, maybe none of them...
And when they do get healthy, Sutter, Iginla and Morrow is their third line.

booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:32 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. His hockey IQ is off the charts. He makes everything look so easy and simple, even though it's not.

Also, why are we doing PGT's now?
GDTs keep passing 1000 posts.

04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
Turris: I know they mentioned that he spent the whole summer last year training on his strength but I'm sure at this point that he only trained upper body and missed "leg day". He simply cannot stay on his feet. It can't be done. Up till now its felt sorry for him and buying the excuse that "he's getting so many chances but just can't finish." Well the reason he just can't finish is cause he gets out muscled every time.
I'm not familiar with all the hockey-specific strength training techniques, but it seems he could use a good core body strength regimen. There are a lot of successful players in the league with slighter frames and strong core body strength. Never ceases to amaze me how a smaller guy like Datsyuk (listed as 5lb heavier than Turris) can be so strong on his skates even with bigger defenders leaning on him.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Honestly it felt like the Penguins had the Senators NHL figured out from the get-go
Fixed that for you.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Didn't get to see the game. Did we play ok? Also, why does Tyler Freakin Kennedy always score against us?

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Didn't get to see the game. Did we play ok? Also, why does Tyler Freakin Kennedy always score against us?
He has a nose for the net.

And for finding truffles.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:10 AM
burgess1978

Looks like if the Sens do make the playoffs they will be Penguin fodder once again

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:20 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

what pissed me off the most was we took the loss and Neil or anyone didn't do anything.

****ing disgusting. Who remembers last year where we didn't let ANY team take liberties. We literally went out there and just rushed to the crease pissing the other team off and getting under their skin.

Also, anyone notice the way Pitts plays, they play on the edge and try to get away with every minor thing. Their hits are not dirty but borderline enough to be considered clean. I'm not knocking them I respect them for finding a way to make things work but I'm surprised other teams don't do it and it's disgusting to see Pitts complain about minor things when their entire team plays a reckless game. They're just really good at it as to not get caught.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:37 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
what pissed me off the most was we took the loss and Neil or anyone didn't do anything.

****ing disgusting. Who remembers last year where we didn't let ANY team take liberties. We literally went out there and just rushed to the crease pissing the other team off and getting under their skin.

Also, anyone notice the way Pitts plays, they play on the edge and try to get away with every minor thing. Their hits are not dirty but borderline enough to be considered clean. I'm not knocking them I respect them for finding a way to make things work but I'm surprised other teams don't do it and it's disgusting to see Pitts complain about minor things when their entire team plays a reckless game. They're just really good at it as to not get caught.
I truly believe that if Carkner was on our team Cooke would have a bloody face, there would have been a suspension and a team fine and we would have won the game.

Who gives a ***** if cooke wants to fight? You don't get that right.

I posted in the Island thread last week how sad I was that we didn't have him anymore. The guy didn't give a ****. That's the scariest opponent. Cooke knew Neil wasn't going to risk a suspension for beating the **** out of him. They probably had a good laugh about in the dressing room afterward.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:43 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 830
Carkner was a gem.

Decent bottom pairing guy but his intangibles were through the roof. We won't find a player with that combination for a long time. But I can understand Murray not retaining him at the contract he received with NYI.

H2ODP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:56 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
Carkner was a gem.

Decent bottom pairing guy but his intangibles were through the roof. We won't find a player with that combination for a long time. But I can understand Murray not retaining him at the contract he received with NYI.
I know, I'm just venting. I just wish we had a guy like that. I'm sure everyone told Neil not to fight if he doesn't want to etc. He doesn't want to let his team down by getting an instigator and a suspension. But sometimes you just need to ****ing do it. This is the type of situation that people overlook because Neil wouldn't have been selfish, he'd have been selfless he would have taken the heat from the league, management, the media just to stick up for a teammate. That's the kind of guy we need.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:02 AM
Xspyrit

argghhh the level of posting is horribad (like teens say)

Don't care much anymore though, the rats come out when the ship is sinking, let' em be I guess

And I can't believe Turris is becoming a scapegoat so fast... what a pathetic fanbase

How long before it's Zibanejad or Silfverberg's turn? Next year? The year after?

Yeah, try to say I'm wrong with a valuable argument for fun lol

-==============================================

Seriously, this Penguins team is STACKED

Malkin, Crosby, Iginla, Morrow, Neal, Kunitz, Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Dupuis, Sutter, Jokinen, Murray, Fleury, Vokoun

lol this is their cup to lose. I can't see them fail if they are healthy. Crosby + Iginla + Morrow to lead them to victory?

Last edited by Xspyrit: 04-23-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:06 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
I know, I'm just venting. I just wish we had a guy like that. I'm sure everyone told Neil not to fight if he doesn't want to etc. He doesn't want to let his team down by getting an instigator and a suspension. But sometimes you just need to ****ing do it. This is the type of situation that people overlook because Neil wouldn't have been selfish, he'd have been selfless he would have taken the heat from the league, management, the media just to stick up for a teammate. That's the kind of guy we need.
Contrary to what other fan bases think, Chris Neil isn't really the kind of guy to go up to Matt Cooke and just start pounding him, sure he took a gloved shot at the end of the game the night Karlsson went down at Cooke, but he didn't "Boyle" him like Carkner would. I think it could get to that point with Neil in the right circumstance, but usually the other combatant is willing and they mutually go, even if it's occasionally a non-fighter. It's why Neil's never been suspended. Matt Carkner would have no hesitation at all, like we've all witnessed multiple times during his tenure here. Neil is sort of an enforcer/pest hybrid so you'll see a lot of variety in the types of players he fights, but he's not crazy like Carkner.

H2ODP is offline   Reply With Quote