HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VII

Old
04-20-2013, 11:11 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I hope it picks up this weekend because most of these series are very quiet.
agree. it's a shame, because a lot of these series could be determined by good arguments

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
agree. it's a shame, because a lot of these series could be determined by good arguments
The ATD 1st round in an iteration of the process which does not exist in the real NHL, and for a reason. Not every matchup this round is extremely competitive. A few are really good - like Chicago and Ottawa which are the 7th and 8th seeds in the conference - but others are not. Things will pick up in the 2nd round.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
tony d
Real Super Mario

So do we start voting today? I'm about to go to lunch here at work and would probably get my voting ready then.

04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
So do we start voting today? I'm about to go to lunch here at work and would probably get my voting ready then.
I believe voting has been open all weekend and it ends at midnight pacific time tonight.

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
tony d
Real Super Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I believe voting has been open all weekend and it ends at midnight pacific time tonight.
So who do we send our votes to?

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
So who do we send our votes to?
I think it's the same as the regular season voting was...TDMM gets Red Fisher Conference and Sturm gets Jim Coleman

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post

I think it's the same as the regular season voting was...TDMM gets Red Fisher Conference and Sturm gets Jim Coleman
Correct on both counts. Now's the time to vote, ladies and gents. I've only got votes from Hawkey_Town and gmm so far, so let's get going.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:13 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Voting instructions

Please send votes for the Red Fisher Conference to me (TheDevilMadeMe) and votes for the Jim Coleman Conference to Sturminator.

Select a winner, and the number of games (out of 7) that the series went.

Please do not vote in your own series.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
tony d
Real Super Mario

Quote:
Voting instructions

Please send votes for the Red Fisher Conference to me (TheDevilMadeMe) and votes for the Jim Coleman Conference to Sturminator.

Select a winner, and the number of games (out of 7) that the series went.

Please do not vote in your own series.
So don't send in the 3 stars of each series?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
So don't send in the 3 stars of each series?
I don't know; what do people think, is it actually worth sending in the three stars?

Tabulating the votes for the 3 stars takes a lot longer than tabulating the results for the series themselves, and I don't know about Sturm, but I can't guarantee finishing calculating the 3 stars by tomorrow if we do have it. Last year, I think we sent in 3 stars, but it never even got tabulated for some of the rounds.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
I don't know; what do people think, is it actually worth sending in the three stars?

Tabulating the votes for the 3 stars takes a lot longer than tabulating the results for the series themselves, and I don't know about Sturm, but I can't guarantee finishing calculating the 3 stars by tomorrow if we do have it. Last year, I think we sent in 3 stars, but it never even got tabulated for some of the rounds.
Yeah, I don't give a crap about the 3 stars. It just creates a lot of work, and it's extremely unlikely that we'll need a second tiebreaker.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
seventieslord

There were times I had to say "aw, **** it, I'm not tabulating the 3 stars"

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yeah, I don't give a crap about the 3 stars. It just creates a lot of work, and it's extremely unlikely that we'll need a second tiebreaker.
I think 3 stars makes sense in the MLD, when judgments on players vary, but it doesn't make sense for the ATD, where if you have Orr/Howe/Gretzky/Lemieux, he's always voted 1st star. It's also less time-consuming to tabulate with fewer teams in the MLD.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
MadArcand
Whaletarded

Voted.

Gotta say, I never liked how it always ended up 'best' players in the stars voting instead of 'most effective in the series'.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Voted.

Gotta say, I never liked how it always ended up 'best' players in the stars voting instead of 'most effective in the series'.
Yeah, I agree. I try not to just vote for the best players, but the thing is, if everyone has different ideas on who will be most effective in the series, but there is more consensus on who the "best" players are, then there will still be more votes for the consensus best players.

At this point, I think we might as well scrap the three stars for the main draft. They are A LOT of work to tabulate - I'm not exaggerating when I say the three stars take 4-5 times as long to tabulate as the series winner and # of games. And like I said, last time they weren't even tabulated for every round, and I don't think anyone really minded.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
BraveCanadian

I sent in 3 stars but if it is creating a lot of work I think maybe the value of them is out weighed by that.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:47 PM
tony d
Real Super Mario

I voted today as well and did send in the 3 stars. It was a bit of a battle picking them, I can only imagine what it'd be like to count them.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:21 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Who has voted so far?

(Those who haven't could use a reminder PM)

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:47 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Votes received from GMM, Hawkey Town 18, BraveCanadian, tony D, Bluesfan94, Madarcand, BillyShoe1721, Bring Back Scuderi, Velociraptor, overpass, VanIslander, Hedberg

Unless we get a rush of votes in the next 3 hours, looks like we'll have to extend the deadline

Old
04-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Wrigley

vCash: 545
Quote:
Votes received from GMM, Hawkey Town 18, BraveCanadian, tony D, Bluesfan94, Madarcand, BillyShoe1721, Bring Back Scuderi, Velociraptor, overpass, VanIslander, Hedberg. Unless we get a rush of votes in the next 3 hours, looks like we'll have to extend the deadline
Agreed. I don't mind losing, especially when I realize I could have a done a better job. I just make notes and adjustments for next year. The slightly discouraging thing is when the opponent doesn't care enough to vote for their own team in the first round and sometimes doesn't even bother making special teams. The draft is fun, but honestly I enjoy the research even more. I'm sure I've spent 10-20 hours already working on next year's draft list, because I enjoy it.

Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:10 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed. I don't mind losing, especially when I realize I could have a done a better job. I just make notes and adjustments for next year. The slightly discouraging thing is when the opponent doesn't care enough to vote for their own team in the first round and sometimes doesn't even bother making special teams. The draft is fun, but honestly I enjoy the research even more. I'm sure I've spent 10-20 hours already working on next year's draft list, because I enjoy it.
I agree completely. I especially love making bios.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The draft is fun, but honestly I enjoy the research even more. I'm sure I've spent 10-20 hours already working on next year's draft list, because I enjoy it.
The research is the soul of the draft, and its ultimate legacy. I satisfied my competitive urges here long ago, but the history just keeps bringing me back.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:39 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Votes received from GMM, Hawkey Town 18, BraveCanadian, tony D, Bluesfan94, Madarcand, BillyShoe1721, Bring Back Scuderi, Velociraptor, overpass, VanIslander, Hedberg, Sturminator, TheDevilMadeMe

We're extending voting by 12 hours, so if you haven't voted yet (and most of you haven't), you have until 3PM EST/noon PST.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:13 AM
EagleBelfour

So sorry guys. I was suppose to vote before coming back home, but I met the prettiest little Russian girl in my last week in Moscow ... I love and understand my ATD duties, but sometimes you just have to make exception, I'm sure most of you understand!

I'm at the Helsinki airport, and be back home at 11:00PM ET. Then I'll probably eat a poutine, get off the excitement & go to sleep. I'll probably wake up early, and then have time to look at the matchups and vote. So if I can still send my ballot on the 24th of April at 12:00PM ET, you'll get my set of votes. If not, I apologize, and will make sure I will votes promptly on every remaining rounds.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Wrigley

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
So sorry guys. I was suppose to vote before coming back home, but I met the prettiest little Russian girl in my last week in Moscow ... I love and understand my ATD duties, but sometimes you just have to make exception, I'm sure most of you understand! I'm at the Helsinki airport, and be back home at 11:00PM ET. Then I'll probably eat a poutine, get off the excitement & go to sleep. I'll probably wake up early, and then have time to look at the matchups and vote. So if I can still send my ballot on the 24th of April at 12:00PM ET, you'll get my set of votes. If not, I apologize, and will make sure I will votes promptly on every remaining rounds.
I don't speak for TDMM & Sturm and I have zero authority here, but that sounds pretty reasonable given your record here. That Russian girl sounds cute. I don't care about their race, religion, or nationality. If they have dark hair and eyes, I'm in! I re-sent my ballot with the number of games on it.

Last edited by Wrigley: 04-23-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote