HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Gernat Signed To 3-Year ELC

Old
04-21-2013, 12:44 AM
plikestechno

vCash: 500
Have heard that if he can't make OKC he will go to Europe to develop his defensive game and hopefully into an NHLer. ELC is more to keep his rights and prevent him from going back in draft than anything. Has a long way to go, still so clueless defensively it's frightening.

I don't think bulk matters as much in the post clutch and grab era. There's such thing as skinny strong, one of the strongest guys I know is a beanpole, and it's more about positioning these days. Watched DeKeyser play a great game tonight and it doesn't get much skinnier than him.

Last edited by plikestechno: 04-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:08 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
False. A person burns x amount of calories in a day, if they eat more than that they gain weight, if they don't they lose or maintain weight. Sorry fast metabolism is just an excuse. Sure some people need to eat more to gain weight due to different genetics, size and physical activity, but yes "just eating a lot" will make you gain weight if you're eating enough.
You're correct in the broad sense, that losing weight is essentially putting out more calories than putting in, but it depends a lot on the BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is how fast one's resting metabolic rate is. If your resting rate is the same as my rate when I'm active, you will expend more energy when you're active than me. It's basically why there are the three body types of ectomorph (people who find it hard to gain weight), mesomorph (the happy medium), and endomorph (people who find it hard to lose weight.

That's my understanding of it, anyway.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:28 AM
JaredCowenFan
True Canadian - '67

Glad to add Gerny. Hope he's a future top 6. He sure is a beauty nonethless.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:20 AM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
You're correct in the broad sense, that losing weight is essentially putting out more calories than putting in, but it depends a lot on the BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is how fast one's resting metabolic rate is. If your resting rate is the same as my rate when I'm active, you will expend more energy when you're active than me. It's basically why there are the three body types of ectomorph (people who find it hard to gain weight), mesomorph (the happy medium), and endomorph (people who find it hard to lose weight.

That's my understanding of it, anyway.
Somato type is kind of outdated, and was originally made to describe people of different sizes. There are many factors that go into bmr and total daily energy expenditure such as body weight, body composition(muscle mass), genetics, activity level, macronutrient consumption. Regardless none of this changes the fact that its no harder for any person to gain weight, the only difference is some people have to eat more than others to do it, and because we don't all have the same appetites it could be more difficult for that person to stomach the food. However, thats where liquid calories like oils, milk etc make it much easier.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if Gernat had the dedication to his diet to put on the mass, he could, simple as that.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Vanqu1sh

Quote:
Somato type is kind of outdated, and was originally made to describe people of different sizes. There are many factors that go into bmr and total daily energy expenditure such as body weight, body composition(muscle mass), genetics, activity level, macronutrient consumption. Regardless none of this changes the fact that its no harder for any person to gain weight, the only difference is some people have to eat more than others to do it, and because we don't all have the same appetites it could be more difficult for that person to stomach the food. However, thats where liquid calories like oils, milk etc make it much easier.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if Gernat had the dedication to his diet to put on the mass, he could, simple as that.
I think moving to a different country and adjusting to a different culture/game, and getting shoulder surgery probably hampered that a bit. He hasn't really had much time to do anything since he was drafted. When you look at combine results year after year the kids are all skinny and weak. It goes with being a teenager.

I mentioned previously that he had an interview with someone here and stated that he wants to make gaining weight a priority and realizes it's necessary. He'll get it done. I think the bigger concern is whether he can learn to play his position properly.

Vanqu1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Butane Fan

Hey he is 6 5 so I am down for this.

Butane Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:00 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
You act like genetics prevents someone from adding mass. The guy just isn't eating enough in the off season.
Have you ever tried bulking with the body type Gernat clearly has? The amount of food you have to eat in one day is honestly sickening, especially for a guy that big. It affects your workouts even on and off ice when you're eating that much. It's gross, unhealthy food in order to get the calories up. And he can't just be lifting for bulk, it's applicable movements/core training - hockey specific stuff they have to do too to maintain explosiveness, etc. It's not exactly easy to eat that much when you're training twice a day sometimes. When you exercise that much you don't even want to eat sometimes let along 5,000 calories. Find it funny when people just dismiss gaining weight like this.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:10 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Have you ever tried bulking with the body type Gernat clearly has? The amount of food you have to eat in one day is honestly sickening, especially for a guy that big. It affects your workouts even on and off ice when you're eating that much. It's gross, unhealthy food in order to get the calories up. And he can't just be lifting for bulk, it's applicable movements/core training - hockey specific stuff they have to do too to maintain explosiveness, etc. It's not exactly easy to eat that much when you're training twice a day sometimes. When you exercise that much you don't even want to eat sometimes let along 5,000 calories. Find it funny when people just dismiss gaining weight like this.
Thats typically what the off season is for and you don't need to eat gross unhealthy food to get calories up. Anything like whole milk, peanut butter, oils etc. that have high fats in them are much less satiating with higher calories. Sure if he's trying to get 5000 cals on extremely high protein rather than carbs and fats he's going to have a hard time. If Michael Phelps can swim 6 hours a day while eating 8000+ calories, don't tell me that Gernat can't eat 5000 while doing considerably less exercise.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
good. big MG fan.

He was a 5th rounder no? Meaning he is already trending positively.

He'll need time, but with that frame, it's only a matter of time before he is built. It will happen. I put on 20 pounds in 2-3 years after I turned 20 from working out, no reason to think he can't do the same.
I'm going to do some digging, but I remember a quote from MacGregor(?) saying they had him ranked like 20th or something stupid.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm going to do some digging, but I remember a quote from MacGregor(?) saying they had him ranked like 20th or something stupid.
Top 35 is how I remember it.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanqu1sh View Post
As previously mentioned would take a 20 year old and import slot so it's not happening. Why is everyone so worried about his weight? He's not going to be NHL ready for a while, has lots of time. One of the Oilers bloggers had a quote of him saying he knows he needs to gain weight and wants to be ~225 I believe. Still pretty skinny for someone who is 6'5, but whatever.

And yes, obviously an ectomorph that has trouble putting on weight, but it's not like a professional hockey club can't recognize that.
The worry from my standpoint is that this is a kid that has it easy based on his size. Going to OKC where you are up against men is going to take a toll on him.

Time will tell, but as I see it right now someone is going to be in the ECHL. Wonder if it's him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
You act like genetics prevents someone from adding mass. The guy just isn't eating enough in the off season.

Not true at all... some people can eat all day... and still not gain weight at that age especially.. I used to be that way. now I have to work hard to stay as awesome as I am.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:47 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Not true at all... some people can eat all day... and still not gain weight at that age especially.. I used to be that way. now I have to work hard to stay as awesome as I am.
That goes against basic nutritional science, but if you want to believe that go ahead.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:36 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Thats typically what the off season is for and you don't need to eat gross unhealthy food to get calories up. Anything like whole milk, peanut butter, oils etc. that have high fats in them are much less satiating with higher calories. Sure if he's trying to get 5000 cals on extremely high protein rather than carbs and fats he's going to have a hard time. If Michael Phelps can swim 6 hours a day while eating 8000+ calories, don't tell me that Gernat can't eat 5000 while doing considerably less exercise.
I'm just saying it's not as easy to maintain that day in and day out as it is to type it on a keyboard. It probably would make his summer miserable, a gradual progression into weight gain with this summer as a serious starting point would be better IMO, no need to take extreme measures, if he can put it on over the course of like 4 to 5 years I would be happy. The most important part is for him to keep enjoying playing hockey and improving his hockey skills first and foremost. Jonas Brodin and Danny Dekeyser are playing in the NHL because they're good hockey players with great hockey sense and stick skills. Bulking and gaining weight can be miserable sometimes, especially when you're stuffing your face at the beginning and not seeing results yet. It would probably take him staying in Edmonton this summer at the very least under a pretty strict workout/nutrition regiment for him to gain it.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:19 AM
spOiler

The Signed Gernat

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:35 AM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I'm just saying it's not as easy to maintain that day in and day out as it is to type it on a keyboard. It probably would make his summer miserable, a gradual progression into weight gain with this summer as a serious starting point would be better IMO, no need to take extreme measures, if he can put it on over the course of like 4 to 5 years I would be happy. The most important part is for him to keep enjoying playing hockey and improving his hockey skills first and foremost. Jonas Brodin and Danny Dekeyser are playing in the NHL because they're good hockey players with great hockey sense and stick skills. Bulking and gaining weight can be miserable sometimes, especially when you're stuffing your face at the beginning and not seeing results yet. It would probably take him staying in Edmonton this summer at the very least under a pretty strict workout/nutrition regiment for him to gain it.
I never meant that its going to be easy and nor do I expect him to put on 20 pounds of muscle in an offseason as that is physically impossible without PED's. I just meant he could of done more for himself on the weight side of things to this point. Doesn't really matter though, by the sounds of it he won't be NHL ready for at least another 3-4 years anyways so he has the time.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:01 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
I never meant that its going to be easy and nor do I expect him to put on 20 pounds of muscle in an offseason as that is physically impossible without PED's. I just meant he could of done more for himself on the weight side of things to this point. Doesn't really matter though, by the sounds of it he won't be NHL ready for at least another 3-4 years anyways so he has the time.
Yeah sounds like we are on the same page in general.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:51 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Given his mobility, size, potential for growth, offensive ability, and vision - why not try Gernat at forward? Kid has hands half the forwards on the Oil Kings don't have, and with a couple years of weight gain he could really become a useful power-forward type of player.

Entering the AHL would be a perfect time for him to learn an easier position and hone his game.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Given his mobility, size, potential for growth, offensive ability, and vision - why not try Gernat at forward? Kid has hands half the forwards on the Oil Kings don't have, and with a couple years of weight gain he could really become a useful power-forward type of player.

Entering the AHL would be a perfect time for him to learn an easier position and hone his game.
That's a really interesting idea. I guess it would depend on how much they value his puck moving ability, but it might be worth a shot.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
That goes against basic nutritional science, but if you want to believe that go ahead.
OK... you win. nutrition 1 genetics 0.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

What is the value of his ELC? Capgeek doesnt have it yet.

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Really?

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote