HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Jean Ralphio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
At what point would you consider drafting that Tyler Hill? I know he's kind of the joke that RLR has top 10 or whatever, but he seems like he could turn out to be a good power forward. Sounds like he's got a way better skillset than Moroz...

Also maybe worth noting that the Ottawa 67s apparently own his OHL rights, maybe if the Oil were to pick Monahan they could convince Hill to join him there....just thinking out loud....
Is he a player in the power-forward mold, or is he just another coke machine? I think that's the concern with drafting guys like this, especially early. His numbers in the USHL don't appear to be that impressive, although it is a league with low scoring that isn't necessarily the best indicator of future production.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:30 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
At what point would you consider drafting that Tyler Hill? I know he's kind of the joke that RLR has top 10 or whatever, but he seems like he could turn out to be a good power forward. Sounds like he's got a way better skillset than Moroz...

Also maybe worth noting that the Ottawa 67s apparently own his OHL rights, maybe if the Oil were to pick Monahan they could convince Hill to join him there....just thinking out loud....
From the past it doesn't seem like the Oilers are that into forcing prospects to play in certain leagues. I know some organizations like to push the CHL route but Edmonton has seemed pretty hands off in this aspect, can't say I necessarily disagree with the approach they're taking.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:31 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
Is he a player in the power-forward mold, or is he just another coke machine? I think that's the concern with drafting guys like this, especially early. His numbers in the USHL don't appear to be that impressive, although it is a league with low scoring that isn't necessarily the best indicator of future production.
From what I was reading it sounds like he likes to throw his weight around and is a little nasty. But I mean there doesn't seem to be much info out there on him.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:06 AM
Heavy Dee

Cgy at Nsh tonite. Hope for a three pt gm

Old
04-23-2013, 03:35 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

I'm interesting in Tyler Hill just based on his name. Taylor Hall and Tyler Hill are meant to be.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Uindicator

Dunno if its been posted yet here. Lindholm has all the tools from the looks of it,RH centreman, reminds me of a grittier Backstrom. Him and Kelfbom coming over next year ??
Interesting tidbit.

4th best PPG draft eligible year in SEL history.
.84 - D. Sedin (50gp)
.74 - P. Forsberg (23gp)
.69 - H. Sedin (49gp)
.63 - E. Lindholm (48gp)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d8o6i1O5Ack

Old
04-23-2013, 06:06 AM
puckfan13

I'm pretty all in on Bowey at this point but he'll be gone by our 2nd I think after U18's. His puck confidence might be one of the best in the draft for defensemen and he displays great athletiscm in his instinctive plays and recoveries. There's just some guys that look natural handling the puck and Bowey is one. Unreal physical package and I think this is the type of guy whose head is gonna catch up to his skills. Looks to me like a classic player that could make the World Junior team and he could shine there and get people wondering what took so long for him to be selected. From all accounts he is a smart guy in school and an outgoing but polite character so he's not going to be intimidated easily. Would really like to see his offensive prowess be encouraged in Kelowna while developing his defensive game, the instincts shouldn't be stifled with this guy.

It's hard to explain because hte numbers aren't jumping off the page, but he has better puck skills than Darnell Nurse I feel pretty good about saying that. They're up there with Morrissey's but Josh is more smooth and calculated while Bowey has an explosive skillset. If this kid has the work ethic in him and an insatiable drive to succeed this could be the best d-man in the draft.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:56 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Assuming we don't trade the pick, I'd be happy with any of Barkov, Lindholm or Nichushkin. Not as big on Monahan as others I guess.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Assuming we don't trade the pick, I'd be happy with any of Barkov, Lindholm or Nichushkin. Not as big on Monahan as others I guess.
Monahan is going to be a fantastic NHL player. I've seen him play live multiple times and he has been dominating at both ends of the ice since his 16 year old year.

Truly, at worst he'll have a Jason Arnott-like career, and at best Mike Modano.

You should get on board - it's likely the Oilers will be drafting him if they are selecting 5 or 6.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I'm pretty all in on Bowey at this point but he'll be gone by our 2nd I think after U18's. His puck confidence might be one of the best in the draft for defensemen and he displays great athletiscm in his instinctive plays and recoveries. There's just some guys that look natural handling the puck and Bowey is one. Unreal physical package and I think this is the type of guy whose head is gonna catch up to his skills. Looks to me like a classic player that could make the World Junior team and he could shine there and get people wondering what took so long for him to be selected. From all accounts he is a smart guy in school and an outgoing but polite character so he's not going to be intimidated easily. Would really like to see his offensive prowess be encouraged in Kelowna while developing his defensive game, the instincts shouldn't be stifled with this guy.

It's hard to explain because hte numbers aren't jumping off the page, but he has better puck skills than Darnell Nurse I feel pretty good about saying that. They're up there with Morrissey's but Josh is more smooth and calculated while Bowey has an explosive skillset. If this kid has the work ethic in him and an insatiable drive to succeed this could be the best d-man in the draft.
we will have our pick and ana pick in the 2nd, there is potential there to trade back inot the 1st if the oilers were as high on him as you are. depending on where he falls i guess.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post

That's good to see, sounds like the kid might make a good pick.

Looking at our Mock Deadline draft, I was thinking the Oilers might take a shot at Del a Rose in the 2nd round, he was top-10 at the beginning of the year.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Booo.

I forgot the Can/Swe u18 game was on at 7am today and they're not replaying it.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Personally I've got him above Monahan, think I'll be in the minority on this board though.
Lindholm is the consensus pick ahead of Monahan everywhere but the Oilers board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
From the main boards, a pick swap with Phoenix

Gormley + 1st (9)
for
1st (6)

Theoretically, Gormley + Lazar for Monahan?
Yea? Nay? Don't give a damn?
Won't happen. Doubt PHX even gives Gormley straight up for the 6th, let alone the 9th overall on top.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:28 AM
blupye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
I got it...

-Oilers get pick in 5-7 range
-Oilers trade 5-7 pick + Gagner to Carolina for 3rd pick + McBain
-Oilers trade Eberle to FLA for 1st pick

1st- EDM (MacKinnon)
2nd- COL (Jones)
3rd- EDM (Drouin)

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Drouin-MacKinnon-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Jones
Petrell-Smithson-Brown

Smid-Petry
Klefbom-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-McBain

Dubnyk
UFA

Oilers win all the Cups...
Well I like your dream, but where is the toughness? Here is what I think
1) Trade Hemsky,Gagner, and prospect to STL for RFA Stewart.
2) Sign Clarkson
3) Trade down, pu BO Horvat.
4) PU a top 4 Dman

Old
04-23-2013, 11:36 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I think the consensus is that Lindholm is better than Monahan. It'd be a tough choice because I think Monahan fits us better, but I'm usually of the opinion that you take the BPA. This year I feel like we should consider drafting for need if the players available are close.
i don't think that is the consensus though, monahan is ahead by 1 on buttons rankings, behind by 1 on mackenzies rankings and behind by one on the ISS rankings... it's essentially a toss-up between the 2 of them at this point

so being that it is a toss up, here is where i would give each the advantage:
monahan - larger, more used to the NHL-style game, exceptionally good on faceoffs
lindholm - has played against men so his numbers have come against men, not juniors, might be a little more creative with the puck

i think we do well by drafting either actually, and the size thing doesn't bug me as much since lindholm is known for playing gritty

Old
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Nugent Hopkins
Gagner
Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov

Down the middle would be strong.
next year it would likely be RNH/gagner (or possible replacement)/horcoff/<centre that we draft> or lander if the draftee doesn't look good in camp

Old
04-23-2013, 11:49 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i don't think that is the consensus though, monahan is ahead by 1 on buttons rankings, behind by 1 on mackenzies rankings and behind by one on the ISS rankings... it's essentially a toss-up between the 2 of them at this point

so being that it is a toss up, here is where i would give each the advantage:
monahan - larger, more used to the NHL-style game, exceptionally good on faceoffs
lindholm - has played against men so his numbers have come against men, not juniors, might be a little more creative with the puck

i think we do well by drafting either actually, and the size thing doesn't bug me as much since lindholm is known for playing gritty
Consensus of 8 different rankings:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/13/2013...eri-nichushkin

So yes, based on averaging 8 popular rankings, Lindholm is the consensus.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:00 PM
rockinghockey

If we get one of Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan, I am totally happy.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:16 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
I think the size factor is getting blown out of proportion just a little bit. Just because a guy is 6'4" doesn't mean he will be more physical or harder to play against than a guy who is 6'0"... Just look at Dustin Brown versus Dustin Penner as an example

Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Consensus of 8 different rankings:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/13/2013...eri-nichushkin

So yes, based on averaging 8 popular rankings, Lindholm is the consensus.
that is technically correct, but the difference is very small... 1 place of difference from 5 to 6 isn't a big difference at all... like i said, it's essentially a toss up

Old
04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I think the size factor is getting blown out of proportion just a little bit. Just because a guy is 6'4" doesn't mean he will be more physical or harder to play against than a guy who is 6'0"... Just look at Dustin Brown versus Dustin Penner as an example
no it doesn't mean that at all .... thats why you have to look at the scouting reports for both players... for *both* players, it says that they are 2-way guys, who are gritty and hard to play against... if they both play a hard-nosed game, clearly the player with an extra 3 inches and 15 pounds (more fully grown) will have the advantage

Old
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
SterlingArcher

Anyone of Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan are fine with me. Lindholm actually is thicker or weighs more than Monahan right now. Barkov I think could slot in as a 2C right now while Monahan I feel could slot in as a 3C and Lindholm could probably due a 2C role as well. Obviously they are all young an in experienced but they all have a mature game and play a solid 200 foot game. Each bring some physicality and toughness as well and would make our team harder to play against.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

as we plummit in the standings, I have to say I was quite offended being at the Jets/Sabres game last night, and hearing Sabres fans yell at the end of the game "congratulations, you beat the most pathetic team in the NHL!" That's our title damnit!!

Old
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
IV XIV XCI

I'm wondering about this Nurse kid.
What interests me is the fact that he's basically tripled his output from this year to last. There must be a reason - playing with Sproul?

What I would be doing as an amateur scout is finding all of the data/stats people in hockey at my disposal and I would tell them to go out and find examples of all the players who took massive leaps in their second year of college play and see how that projects to NHL success.

Is his improvement a fluke or a sign of a future stud. Would suck to pass on this kid and look back in 5-8 years and think we passed on him.

Thoughts/input?

Old
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
I'm wondering about this Nurse kid.
What interests me is the fact that he's basically tripled his output from this year to last. There must be a reason - playing with Sproul?

What I would be doing as an amateur scout is finding all of the data/stats people in hockey at my disposal and I would tell them to go out and find examples of all the players who took massive leaps in their second year of college play and see how that projects to NHL success.

Is his improvement a fluke or a sign of a future stud. Would suck to pass on this kid and look back in 5-8 years and think we passed on him.

Thoughts/input?
He played the point man on the powerplay with Sproul carrying the puck up and bombing it from the top of the left circle from what I saw. I think he had 10 powerplay assists and 1 or 2 goals there. Nurse is actually a decent distributor but he's definitely not a puck rusher or anything, he makes smart plays with solid passes, shots that get through and crisp outlets while playing with a nasty edge. Bogosian got 61 pts in 60 games at the same age in the same league and I'd say you're looking at a pretty good comparable right there in terms of overall skillset and what they will bring to the table at the NHL level.

Closed Thread