HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 to the Ducks

Old
04-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Did Tencer just offhandedly remark that MacT is in Russia right now? What's he doing there?
He's with Stu scouting the U18s tournament or something

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:10 AM
oil4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
I think the question should be why the players have looked so useless under 4 different coaches more than anything.
Have any of these coaches been offered hc jobs elsewhere after being here? I think we have had bottom of the barrel coaches here for way too long. When was the last time we had a coach that other teams loathed to have?

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:12 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life14 View Post
Have any of these coaches been offered hc jobs elsewhere after being here? I think we have had bottom of the barrel coaches here for way too long. When was the last time we had a coach that other teams loathed to have?
Maybe we sullied their reputations. And Renney wasn't out of work for long - the Detroit Red Wings hired him right after his dismissal from the Oilers and that organization doesn't hire quote-un-quote "losers."

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Did Tencer just offhandedly remark that MacT is in Russia right now? What's he doing there?
Scouting and talking to Nichushkin--my guess--or talkin' to coach Lindy Ruff at the World U18 Championship?

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 04-23-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:18 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
I think the question should be why the players have looked so useless under 4 different coaches more than anything.
The majority of the players on the team never played under MacTavish or Quinn.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:34 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life14 View Post
Muckler, that was a long time ago.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:40 AM
shiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The majority of the players on the team never played under MacTavish or Quinn.
But a few did, and that maybe is my point. If we have had so many different players, and they all played like trash, don't you think that it might point a finger at the "vet" leadership here as well? People get mad at Horcs for his constant comments that show a lack of fire or caring for that matter, but wouldn't that also translate in the locker room as well? Something sure is wrong there, and has been for years. You have to wonder about why players die here, but move on to better things with another team.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:42 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

If you didn't hear Gagner's post game comments you should listen to them. I've never heard him sound more depressed.
I feel for him, he sounded completely defeated and he's usually an upbeat guy. I think that all the losing and especially the way the team loses is really weighing on him.

I'm frustrated with Gagner's inconsistency and hate when he goes into these lengthy cold spells but you can't question his effort. One of maybe 4 or 5 players who gives an honest effort every game and most of his teammates just don't give a ****. Must be frustrating for him, Hall and Smid.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:01 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I feel for him, he sounded completely defeated and he's usually an upbeat guy. I think that all the losing and especially the way the team loses is really weighing on him.

I'm frustrated with Gagner's inconsistency and hate when he goes into these lengthy cold spells but you can't question his effort. One of maybe 4 or 5 players who gives an honest effort every game and most of his teammates just don't give a ****. Must be frustrating for him, Hall and Smid.
Yeah, thanks for those balanced comments. I imagine he is beating himself up pretty good right now because he knows he's gone cold and he knows he isn't contributing like he was for the first 35 games of the season. Him and Hall had a couple of chances today, but they weren't getting any puck luck and the play just seemed to disintegrate on them.

People on this site are hard on Gagner and while I always defend him, I'm not blind to the weaknesses in his game. I just feel so bad for him right now .... a sixth year pro who has been in the league since he was 18 years old and has never had a decent role model to look up to and never been on a team that even had a sniff.

Lesser players would have had their entire career derailed by the circumstances he's been forced to endure.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for those balanced comments. I imagine he is beating himself up pretty good right now because he knows he's gone cold and he knows he isn't contributing like he was for the first 35 games of the season. Him and Hall had a couple of chances today, but they weren't getting any puck luck and the play just seemed to disintegrate on them.

People on this site are hard on Gagner and while I always defend him, I'm not blind to the weaknesses in his game. I just feel so bad for him right now .... a sixth year pro who has been in the league since he was 18 years old and has never had a decent role model to look up to and never been on a team that even had a sniff.

Lesser players would have had their entire career derailed by the circumstances he's been forced to endure.
This point can't be made enough.

How many players on the oilers that went through all that exhibit an unscathed attitude toward the game?

Hemsky, horc, Smyth, Gilbert?

Those are the ones that survived. This org deepsixed the careers of several players and tarnished the reputation of several others.

I don't know that any other player thats been here through the suck exhibits anything close to the attitude of Gagner.

As for the game last night its hard getting much established in offensive end against the ducks who are pretty good at shutting down. But the D reads last night to support puck were horrible. Basically it was as if we didn't even have D to pass they puck back to or support pressure.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Maybe we sullied their reputations. And Renney wasn't out of work for long - the Detroit Red Wings hired him right after his dismissal from the Oilers and that organization doesn't hire quote-un-quote "losers."
Renney is the only guy we have had over the last while that resembles a decent coach. MacT doesn't get a sniff, Smith dumped as an assistant after on year to be a scout, then there is our good old Bucky. Krueger might be able to get an assistants job elsewhere. Our coaching like our front office and owner are bottom of the barrel for this league. But they do have a lot of cup rings.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This point can't be made enough.

How many players on the oilers that went through all that exhibit an unscathed attitude toward the game?

Hemsky, horc, Smyth, Gilbert?

Those are the ones that survived. This org deepsixed the careers of several players and tarnished the reputation of several others.

I don't know that any other player thats been here through the suck exhibits anything close to the attitude of Gagner.
Cogliano is looking alright.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

If you didn't hear Gagner's post game comments you should listen to them. I've never heard him sound more depressed.
Meanwhile the donkey balls captain is saying we played a good game, or 'not that bad'.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Butane Fan

I am wondering is the Real Estate market up in Edmonton. Because the only people digging the performance of this team is the Real Estate agents that are getting the commisions on selling half the teams houses this summer. I hope we we trade the 1st to get a real goalie or a Stud D. Get a real coach Ralph says he is past the point of being mad well Ralph when did you show any emotion other than that effing blank stare. You should be up on the boards telling the refs a few times that your not taking their crap a few times this year. You do have timeouts? to settle the team down use them u wad. The misuse of players is beyond epic. Ralph I would not let you coach a peewee team

Butane Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Cogliano is looking alright.
Almost as good as when he played with Gagner.

But yeah, perfect example of this org nearly destroying players games. Its taken sometime for Cogs to bounce back.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Meanwhile the donkey balls captain is saying we played a good game, or 'not that bad'.
I take it you don't agree with the opinion that whatever successes the Oilers managed to have this year were due to Horcoff being in the line-up?

The guy is just an institutionalized loser at this point in his career.

Buy him out this summer and bring it to an end - for his sake and the sake of the players on this team who actually have leadership ability and want to compete.

His buddy Smyth is an even worse embarrassment.

We have the worst veteran core in the league, and it's been that way since Moreau was made captain.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I take it you don't agree with the opinion that whatever successes the Oilers managed to have this year were due to Horcoff being in the line-up?

The guy is just an institutionalized loser at this point in his career.

Buy him out this summer and bring it to an end - for his sake and the sake of the players on this team who actually have leadership ability and want to compete.

His buddy Smyth is an even worse embarrassment.

We have the worst veteran core in the league, and it's been that way since Moreau was made captain.
Two of Smyth, Belanger Eager will be bought out.
Hemksy will be traded.
Horcoff will be back, guaranteed.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Asher

If you guys read Ask Matty today you'll see that Mattheson doesn't think Krueger will be fired. Based on the MacT press conference, I think so too. MacT said rather plainly that he did not think coaching is the reason the team is playing poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Two of Smyth, Belanger Eager will be bought out.
Hemksy will be traded.
Horcoff will be back, guaranteed.
What MacT does with Horcoff and Smyth will be a litmus test for me of what to expect of him as GM. If he does the right thing I might actually start to like him. I'm not expecting that to happen though.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
BlueChip01

Some people should not be able to call in the morning show. Moron on right now.

Eberle hall for Weber lol

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:57 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
If you guys read Ask Matty today you'll see that Mattheson doesn't think Krueger will be fired. Based on the MacT press conference, I think so too. MacT said rather plainly that he did not think coaching is the reason the team is playing poorly.
And yet his boss Klowe seems to think that our lineup is pretty damn stacked.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Some people should not be able to call in the morning show. Moron on right now.

Eberle hall for Weber lol
That would turn us into.... The Nashville Predators.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:

Good post Harpoon. The post could also apply to Smid IMHO.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Props to Cloned for predicting we wouldn't score.
Agreed.

And props to me for putting 6000 vcash on the Ducks!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Krueger will not be fired this year. He will be fired part way through next year and MacT will step behind the bench after the Oilers with these bold moves get off to a really bad start.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

They need to hire Ruff now as a "senior adviser" just like they hired MacT in preparation for the inevitable.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote