Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

St. John's IceCaps 2012-13 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 04:25 PM
MrMariusz

vCash: 500
3-3 game in Toronto right now. A couple youngsters added to both rosters.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:59 PM
MrMariusz

They actually grinded out a win today in the shootout. Congrats IceCaps.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
blueandgoldguy

almost getting the sense people are giving up on the prospect of Telegin becoming an NHL player. Way too soon for that. Some players take 2+ years in the AHL to develop into solid top-9 NHL roster players (imo that's where Telegin will evetually slot). While he was diappointing in the first half of the season, let's not forget it was his first season in the AHL - there's adjustment period. And he had a concussion - this would pose a setback for anyone.

I'm hopeful he can come back healthy next season and post a solid 35- 45 points. Maybe even get a look with the big club in 2013-2014.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:31 PM
TroubaFan1

Nice shootout win, by the IceCaps!

Old
04-20-2013, 09:31 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
almost getting the sense people are giving up on the prospect of Telegin becoming an NHL player. Way too soon for that. Some players take 2+ years in the AHL to develop into solid top-9 NHL roster players (imo that's where Telegin will evetually slot). While he was diappointing in the first half of the season, let's not forget it was his first season in the AHL - there's adjustment period. And he had a concussion - this would pose a setback for anyone.

I'm hopeful he can come back healthy next season and post a solid 35- 45 points. Maybe even get a look with the big club in 2013-2014.
I am sure everyone hopes your right on this one!

Old
04-21-2013, 05:55 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
IMO Brassard has about one month left of being Jets property (we will not sign him) .
I'm curious, why would you think that?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I'm curious, why would you think that?
5th round pick that has not really developed at all. I'd be really surprised if we signed to the Jets (maybe the IceCaps will give him a look like John Albert).

Old
04-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
5th round pick that has not really developed at all. I'd be really surprised if we signed to the Jets (maybe the IceCaps will give him a look like John Albert).
I'm with you, Holden. I don't feel Brassard becomes anything noteworthy and he certainly hasn't broken out as a Junior player. He isn't AHL quality at this point in my opinion and is likely to return for his overage season with Belleville or elsewhere next year in the OHL.

On the flip side here we as an organization do not have much depth of our own picks, so, I could see us signing him while letting him return to the OHL as an overage player then let him go pro and see what he does between the AHL or ECHL.

I doubt he becomes anything, but I could still see us signing him given our lack of prospect depth. Then again, as you say, I could see us not bothering.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I just like Brassard because he's one of those character guys we enjoy drafting. He can score but it's not at the forefront of his game. He'll bang and crash and if you **** with him or his teammates he'll kick the crap out of you. Honestly wouldn't mind signing him and sending him to the 'Caps to see what happens. He could be a solid bottom 6 guy who pots one occasionally.

04-21-2013, 01:55 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

I don't see a reason why we already should give up on Brassard. Even if he only gets a career AHL guy and sticks with the Ice Caps for a couple of time. It's not like we're drowning in possibly useful prospects.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I don't see a reason why we already should give up on Brassard. Even if he only gets a career AHL guy and sticks with the Ice Caps for a couple of time. It's not like we're drowning in possibly useful prospects.
Every team lets guys like him go every season. Jets themselves have done it already with Jimmy Bubnick, Levko Koper, John Albert, Alex Kangas, Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel, Sebastien Owuya, Kendall McFaull and Daultan Leveille in the past couple of years (also Jesse Martin, but he was forced to retire to injury). You only have 50 contract spots, you cannot sign every draft pick. If a player doesn't develop, they don't develop. Meh. Can't get overly attached to prospects they come and go. You can't sign guys to 3 year contracts if you don't feel they may someday play a part in your team.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

While I agree that Brassard isn't noteworthy, I could definitely see TNSE signing him. He is one of their guys and they have signed other less than notable prospects like Sol and Chiarot. They could sign him with every intention of starting him in the ECHL.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Question. A team signs a fringe player to an ELC contract, but the player never makes it to the show to get his ELC to activate. What happens to the contract? When does it run out?

Old
04-21-2013, 05:44 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Question. A team signs a fringe player to an ELC contract, but the player never makes it to the show to get his ELC to activate. What happens to the contract? When does it run out?
You mean someone who can't make it in the NHL, AHL or ECHL?

Old
04-21-2013, 05:47 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quick and easy answer is 23, because his contract will slide until he's 20.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:50 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
You mean someone who can't make it in the NHL, AHL or ECHL?
I'm speaking primarily at the NHL level. A player's ELC at the NHL level doesn't activate until they reach a certain point, be it games or period of time, right? What if they never reach a level to have that ELC activate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Quick and easy answer is 23, because his contract will slide until he's 20.
Ok, thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Canadienjet

Well another season done..see what the offseason holds.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Cool that Lowry got a shot in the shootout (I caught most of the OT and shootout). He tried his patented deke/squeak it in 5-hole but it wasn't as successful as his WHL attempts.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
While I agree that Brassard isn't noteworthy, I could definitely see TNSE signing him. He is one of their guys and they have signed other less than notable prospects like Sol and Chiarot. They could sign him with every intention of starting him in the ECHL.
This is what I keep coming back to, mostly. The Jets I am sure will want to stock the system with our own scouted and drafted players. I can definitely see us signing him as it could be a bit shortsighted in not doing so. Truthfully, as of right now, the Jets are in no position to be overly picky. Brassard will be signed, I think.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Every team lets guys like him go every season. Jets themselves have done it already with Jimmy Bubnick, Levko Koper, John Albert, Alex Kangas, Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel, Sebastien Owuya, Kendall McFaull and Daultan Leveille in the past couple of years (also Jesse Martin, but he was forced to retire to injury). You only have 50 contract spots, you cannot sign every draft pick. If a player doesn't develop, they don't develop. Meh. Can't get overly attached to prospects they come and go. You can't sign guys to 3 year contracts if you don't feel they may someday play a part in your team.
With you 100% Holden.

Now he could re-enter the draft or maybe get a contract from the IceCaps, what would be the smart thing for him to do? Look for a fresh start?

Old
04-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Contracts only slide while the players are teenagers. Once they are 20, a ELC is like any other contract you play under it and it burns years at every level (NHL, AHL, ECHL, CHL, KHL, SEL, etc). You don't need to be in NHL to "activate" it to use up years on your ELC. Say for example Mark Scheifele plays next year in AHL the whole season, that uses up a year on his ELC.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Canadienjet

According to both Brendan McCarthy and Robin Short,Ben Maxwell is a ufa and will not return.

Same with Dekanich and possibly Arsene.Jaffray would like to return but is exploring options in Europe.

Players are having a year end meeting with Zinger and McCambridge..what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall.

Last edited by Canadienjet: 04-23-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
According to both Brendan McCarthy and Robin Short,Ben Maxwell is a ufa and will not return.

Same with Dekanich and possibly Arsene.Jaffray would like to return but is exploring options in Europe.

Players are having a year end meeting with Zinger and McCambridge..what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall.
I heard Zinger had a message to the Ice Caps fans Canadianjet? Did you see it?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I heard Zinger had a message to the Ice Caps fans Canadianjet? Did you see it?
I seen the rock report a while back where he admitted he made mistakes.That's it really have not seen anything else.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post

No big surprises there IMO.

Ben Maxwell is done as a prospect IMO. They are better served giving that roster spot to a prospect that has some upside. It will be interesting to see what they do with Juho. Will he land on the Eagles or will he and Eddie split starts on the Rock.

Closed Thread