HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

vCash: 500
Vanquish (PS3) - 9/10

I haven't had this much fun with a TPS in a long time. The speed is ridiculous. The shooting is awesome. The weapons rule. It's entertaining as hell.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Ni No Kuni - 20/10

Best game I've played in the last ten years, bar none. Any fan of gaming that doesn't play it is doing themselves a disservice. Onto the post game!

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Unholy Diver

Far Cry 3 - 8.5/10

Great game, enjoyed nearly everything about it, though deducted half a point for the QTE's in the boss battles, that was my only disappointment with it

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Borderlands 2 - 8/10

The game would easily score 9 but I had no idea that there was a cap on item/enemy levels based on playthroughs. If I like a game I do EVERYTHING and while I was skeptical about Borderlands 2 I was pulled in almost instantly and got the DLC. I reached level 30 a bit early and then went on to the Pirate DLC: since the game stopped scaling I ended up killing everybody very easily and finding no decent loot; the last third of the game was an absolutely dreadful chore and really soured me on the game.

Apparently I can start over and find new items but I'm not the kind of guy that replays through games anymore: I'd much rather go on to another game rather than replay a game I just finished because the developers thought it would be a good idea to punish people who paid for the DLC and bother doing all the side quests... I understand that a lot of people seem to enjoy second and third playthroughs (I used to, I'm older now and have responsibilities) so I'm in the minority but it was a real shame because I couldn't put Borderlands 2 down for a good two weeks before I hit the level 30 wall...

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:00 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Starcraft 2, HoTS (Single Player): 7/10

Decent game with an 'okay' story but some cheesey lines.

The only thing I didn't like was the forced time aspect to a lot of the missions. Like the RPG aspects of Kerrigan and the various units.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Tomb Raider - 10/10

I was surprised I liked this game so much. It isn't the perfect game, but it really is masterful for what it is. Sort of like when a movie can be overly silly or over-the-top in a way, but everything works and is smooth and is still a great popcorn flick, a worthy theater experience. Doesn't have to be an Oscar winner to be a home run for entertainment, etc...

The graphics were fantastic, the storyline was good, the way they presented Lara was astounding and the voice actress nailed the part, and the game played really smoothly.

The storyline was linear, but the game gave you a feeling of freedom with all the places you could go and explore while not seeming too cumbersome like you have to spend 20 hours doing all kinds of tedious things to accomplish everything.

The puzzles were on the easy side, but they didn't detract from the story or gameplay.

The controls and mechanics were pretty stellar, and you were given a very wide assortment of abilities, items, and weapon attacks which made the game more fun with varying up your attacks and upgrading all your weapons.

Great game. The only negative is the multiplayer is pretty meh. Will definitely buy the sequel though.
I agree with everything here. One of the best games I've played in a long long time.

The only 4 issues for me:
-Relied a little too heavily on quicktime events (although they were sweet to watch and very intense to play)
-Puzzles could have been better... Even the ones in the Optional tombs were pretty simple.
-I found myself wishing that health wasn't regenerating, or that it took much longer to regenerate.
-I wish there was an extra mode like in Batman Arkham Asylum/City where you fight waves of enemies, or have to clear out a room in a certain amount of time, or even to fit the Tomb Raider theme, maybe complete a puzzle in a certain time.

I was particularly impressed by how much the game "hurt." Falls from 20 feet feel like they really hurt, and the game did a great job with animations when Lara is injured. Also, the way she reacts when she's walking past fire makes it feel like she's really there, feeling the heat. It all felt very visceral.

The character arc for Lara was brilliant. There's a certain moment when you get a certain weapon and Lara says something to the enemies, it's just so empowering for her character.

It's rare that I beat a game and then go back and do the "100% completion" tasks but I'm actually doing it with this game.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
BioShock 2

Finished this today. I definitely think of it more fondly now than previously. Good game, even if Lamb got a bit over-done toward the end. I'm going to get the DLC for it tomorrow now too.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Frankie Spankie

DLC Quest (Vanilla and Freemium or Die) - 8/10

A good parody on DLC in games that had some good laughs throughout. Simple enough game play for a retro style 2D platformer. Not difficult at all but has a twist that works. It was kind of funny starting out and there's no animations and only your right key works. You have to "buy" DLC with coins you find to unlock things like jumping or moving left amongst many others that allow you to progress. It's at the right price too for $3 since both the vanilla version and the Freemium DLC will take about an hour each to beat.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Shepard

NiGHTS Into Dreams - 8.0

Pretty unique and relaxing game. It might still be only 400 points on the 360, but even if it's back to 800, I'd recommend it.

Sonic CD - 8.0

Great classic-style Sonic game. A few of the later levels were pretty annoying to navigate though, and the boss fights seemed lacking in quantity and challenge, but other than that I had a lot of fun.

One thing I thought was pretty cool is how you can switch between the Japanese and US soundtracks (Japanese is the default). Though other than the Sonic Boom song that plays in the intro, from what I've heard the Japanese soundtrack is easily better IMO.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - 9.0

One of the 3DS' best games. Great gameplay, tons of stuff to unlock, and the in-game banter between the characters is the best I've heard since the Uncharted games (though I can see why some people wouldn't like it).

Fire Emblem Awakening - 9.5

My new favorite Fire Emblem game, and it's a great game for any newcomers of the series to get into. I especially love how much stuff there is to do after you've finished the story.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:58 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Bioshock: Infinite: 9.5

Definitely going into my top 20 games of all time.

If the graphics weren't held back by current console generation it would likely be a 10/10...

The visuals are still impressive, but not perfect as is the actual gameplay... but the story is quite something.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Borderlands 2: 9/10
Lots of fun, wasted a lot of time on it...not too often do I play a game and want to beat everything and do every quest, but I definitely had that here. It's weird, I struggled a hell of a lot with the final boss in BL1 (despite everyone saying how easy it was) so I was expecting more of the same here, but I breezed through the end boss in BL2. Not going to do another playthrough but I will grab the DLC.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Tomb Raider 8.5/10
Really liked the game.
If it wasn't so easy to draw comparisons between it and UC2 and UC3 I would rate it higher.
Loved the graphics and the "survival view" mechanic was a great idea that I hope future games of this genre do. Don't make platform ledges quite so obvious until you change views to take a look.
My main complaint about the game was that it's difficulty level was too low. It needed a unlockable difficulty with slowed down regen and a trophy/achievement attached to it.

I hope the game does well enough to get a sequel since it has a lot of potential.

As reference to similar games I would give:
Uncharted 3 - 10/10
Uncharted 2 - 9.5/10
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 9/10 (Best Vita game currently available)
Tomb Raider:Underworld - 7/10

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Borderland 2 - 9/10

Great game.
Lots of content, especially since all the classes play very differently.
The game really begins to shine in the 2nd playthrough when the difficulty ramps up.

I finished off my platinum for this game a few months back but I might return for the new TVHM DLC being released next week. Level cap bump and new difficulty level.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:48 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Bully (PS3) - 9/10

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Starcraft Heart of the Swarm - 8/10

Solid additions to the game, great single player campaign, and fantastic cinematics as always. The only thing that was disappointing was the storyline was cheesy and lacked Blizzard's usual touch, especially when compared to the original and Brood War. The dialogue was wooden, the voice actors were great, but were noticeable hindered by the dialogue.

Bioshock Infinite - 10/10

This has definitely be a good year for games, not too often that I think so highly of so many titles in a single year. This game takes the cake doing what it does best: atmosphere. Bioshock 1 became a benchmark for how to properly execute atmosphere is a video game. Bioshock 2 was great, but since all the surprises were already out of the bag in Rapture the atmosphere was a little stale. Bioshock Infinite went right back to the roots of immersing its audience in another flawlessly executed atmosphere in Columbia.

The graphics were solid maxed out, the colors were bright an vibrant (a direct 180 from Rapture), the soundtrack was superb, the voice acting was top notch, and most importantly, the storyline was extremely well written. Probably one of the best in many years.

It is an absolute must play.

ďThis is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!Ē - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Starcraft Heart of the Swarm - 8/10

Solid additions to the game, great single player campaign, and fantastic cinematics as always. The only thing that was disappointing was the storyline was cheesy and lacked Blizzard's usual touch, especially when compared to the original and Brood War. The dialogue was wooden, the voice actors were great, but were noticeable hindered by the dialogue.

This has definitely be a good year for games, not too often that I think so highly of so many titles in a single year. This game takes the cake doing what it does best: atmosphere. Bioshock 1 became a benchmark for how to properly execute atmosphere is a video game. Bioshock 2 was great, but since all the surprises were already out of the bag in Rapture the atmosphere was a little stale. Bioshock Infinite went right back to the roots of immersing its audience in another flawlessly executed atmosphere in Columbia.

The graphics were solid maxed out, the colors were bright an vibrant (a direct 180 from Rapture), the soundtrack was superb, the voice acting was top notch, and most importantly, the storyline was extremely well written. Probably one of the best in many years.

It is an absolute must play.
Go play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series which started about a half year before the Bioshock series.

Also, even though I haven't played it yet, it's to my understanding that System Shock 2 was pretty much the one that really started it all as far as atmospheres go. I'm still waiting for them to release it on Steam. I'm aware it's available on GOG but Steam is just so much easier.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Go play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series which started about a half year before the Bioshock series.

Also, even though I haven't played it yet, it's to my understanding that System Shock 2 was pretty much the one that really started it all as far as atmospheres go. I'm still waiting for them to release it on Steam. I'm aware it's available on GOG but Steam is just so much easier.
Yeah, I've played them both and you're right their atmosphere is great. Bioshock is synonymous with atmosphere though. It doesn't matter so much as who did it first, or even who did it best, but what name is evoked by all when atmosphere is brought up, and I can't think of many media outlets or general gamers coming up with a more popular answer than Bioshock. Stalker would easily be in the top 5 or so, but I am not sure it was as popular. It is like voting for rankings on HFBoards, the best answer is often not the right one

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Frankie Spankie

The Witcher 2 - 9.5/10

Loved the first one, loved this one even more! The combat improved tenfold. The story was amazing just like the first one and is the main reason to play these games IMO. I liked the pacing in this one more as well as how everything turned out. As is expected from CD Projekt at this point for me, your decisions matter and affect the entire story line. These are the kinds of games that drive me nuts though, it felt WAY too short and it still took me 24 hours to beat. Cannot wait until The Witcher 3 comes out, will be a pre-order for me and will probably be playing it exclusively when it is released. By then I should have a nice new computer to run everything on. I'll have to set up my vacation at work around The Witcher 3.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Sleeping Dogs 7.5/10

Solid game with some great ideas that couldn't quite pull it off (much like Alpha Protocol). Feeling like a JRPG next, on to The Lost Odyseey!

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Frankie Spankie

Holy ****... One of the best games I have ever played. A couple very minor bugs isn't enough to knock off the perfect rating from me. Irrational totally just ruined games for me. I'm sitting here still after beating it a half hour ago just in awe at the story. Amazing gameplay, even better atmosphere, amazing characters, almost an unbelievably good story line. I got chills a couple of times at that ending. I wish more game companies would strive for excellence like this game. It's not going to happen but I hope another game comes out this year to dethrone this for my GotY because that game will be something else...

Old
04-24-2013, 05:55 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Completed DX:HR Missing Link DLC. 8/10 or so. Pretty good, and a nice change of pace from well........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post

Amazing gameplay,

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Legend of Dragoon: 9.5/10

It lost half a point for the cheesy voice acting, but luckily it was only at the very beginning and end of the game, so it's not really an issue at all.

Other than that, it's pretty much a perfect game. If you get through the first 5-10 hours, you'll be hooked. It took me just over 60 hours to complete, which is a good length in my opinion. Available in the Playstation Store for 6 bucks.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:51 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Batman: Arkham City

Great game!!!!

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Frankie Spankie

Rayman Origins - 8/10

Really solid platformer, one of the better ones in recent years as far as pure platforming goes. However, as much as I love platforming games, I need something different about them. While I appreciate games like Mario for being revolutionary in the genre, it's games like Mark of the Ninja or Trine that I enjoyed the most because they did something different that worked oh so well. Rayman Origins to me feels kind of like a New Super Mario Bros clone. Really solid gameplay but just lacking in what makes some of today's platformers so rewarding and fun.

Botanicula - 7/10

Got this one off SteamGifts. It was pretty cool, I liked the artwork a lot but to be quite honest, I'm not a big point & click adventure kind of guy. It started to get a bit tedious for me towards the end, not even going to say anything else because the game just isn't my kind of game.

Binary Domain - 8.5/10

I was honestly surprised by this one -- It feels very Gears of War like. Third person cover based shooter. Gameplay was OK but the story kept me entertained throughout the majority of it. Some fun characters all the way throughout sprinkled in with the right amount of cheesy humor. If you see it cheap, I'd recommend it. It surprisingly lasted me about 8-9 hours.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Frankie Spankie

Some more, good to have time to game again! Knocked off a couple more titles I got from Steamgifts:

Death Rally - 7/10

Thanks natey!! It was fun at first but got really tedious. The races weren't so much races and didn't take much skill, just took time to grind to level up your vehicles. There's a pretty lame story to go along with it but it's fun to kill some time with.

Mafia II - 8/10

GTA style clone. I liked the story, it was cool to play a game in that setting. The combat and driving were both pretty good, nothing special. It kind of dragged at the beginning but the action picked up later. I just wish there were more driving missions, there were hardly any and they weren't even all that exciting.