HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XVIII - TWTW Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
He's safe for at least 1 more year.
That's what I think, but Theo will let this guy know we can't stay the same (mediocre) forever. I figured they'd suck, but I don't expect them to in 2015. There needs to be a few games of improvement each year.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Pressure's building up. Each passing year is essentially another year's worth of fans dying without ever seeing a championship.

If things continue to get worse before they get better, the Cubs organization might very well do some irreparable harm to the fanbase. Totally understand folks not wanting to be patient anymore, especially given the organization's focus primarily being on off the field manners like stadium renovation and a new channel. Empty promises of turning a profitable team into an even more profitable team as being key to building a championship contender aren't going to cut it.

At the very least, can't expect folks to keep forking over mega bucks for tickets when we all know that the team's going to keep sucking.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Pressure's building up. Each passing year is essentially another year's worth of fans dying without ever seeing a championship.

If things continue to get worse before they get better, the Cubs organization might very well do some irreparable harm to the fanbase. Totally understand folks not wanting to be patient anymore, especially given the organization's focus primarily being on off the field manners like stadium renovation and a new channel. Empty promises of turning a profitable team into an even more profitable team as being key to building a championship contender aren't going to cut it.

At the very least, can't expect folks to keep forking over mega bucks for tickets when we all know that the team's going to keep sucking.
From 97-02, the Cubs lost 94, 95, 97, and 94 games (2 decent years mixed in there - 1 playoff appearance). If they lose 100 games again this year, it won't matter.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I went to a game last week. Speaking to both sides, the fans don't give a flying **** and aren't showing up. The team knows this and accepts it.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

I disagree. I honestly think that 2008 was a watershed year for the Cubs for a lot of fans.

We seemingly had everything going for us. Arguably the best team in baseball in the regular season. Everything's clicking, buzz in the city very high. National focus. 100 years to the t since the last championship. Baseball gods seemingly lining everything up for a storybook season.

And then we **** the beds the playoffs and fall back into the cellar the next year.

Think the fanbase's overall mood changed there. Don't think people are really thinking that there's always next year anymore.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
I disagree. I honestly think that 2008 was a watershed year for the Cubs for a lot of fans.

We seemingly had everything going for us. Arguably the best team in baseball in the regular season. Everything's clicking, buzz in the city very high. National focus. 100 years to the t since the last championship. Baseball gods seemingly lining everything up for a storybook season.

And then we **** the beds the playoffs and fall back into the cellar the next year.

Think the fanbase's overall mood changed there. Don't think people are really thinking that there's always next year anymore.
That season burned me real, real bad. I wrote them off after that. I was done. I was still a fan, but that was the last season I made an effort to watch every game on tv and follow them step by step. I was in "they have to win me back" mode.

I fully expected last year and this to be rough. I'm invested in the club again because despite a rough road right now, it's for a purpose. I'm putting my trust in this regime to build a true organization from the ground up the right way for the first time, well, ever, for this organization. I'd rather be bad and lose games while letting kids play and come up and take their lumps together and rebuilding than having a monster payroll full of bums that lose a bunch of games. That's much more deplorable, in my opinion.

With all that said, as others have referenced, some improvement needs to be seen each year.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Well yeah. Nobody is showing up until it starts turning around. The organization knows that and are accepting of that. I think everyone knew that team was playing on borrowed time (07/08) and that some major wholesale changes were needed once it went down the tubes.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Illinihockey

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2...rning-to-walk/

Old
04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well yeah. Nobody is showing up until it starts turning around. The organization knows that and are accepting of that. I think everyone knew that team was playing on borrowed time (07/08) and that some major wholesale changes were needed once it went down the tubes.
I don't think so, though. Especially as the Ricketts clan told their papa that one of the reasons to buy the team was that they'd always sell out the stadium regardless of how well the team did, at least allegedly according to some of the stuff that surfaced during the Blagojevich mess, I think they're being caught by a bit of a surprise that the team's not selling out anymore from their pre-purchase expectations.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:50 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I don't think so, though. Especially as the Ricketts clan told their papa that one of the reasons to buy the team was that they'd always sell out the stadium regardless of how well the team did, at least allegedly according to some of the stuff that surfaced during the Blagojevich mess, I think they're being caught by a bit of a surprise that the team's not selling out anymore from their pre-purchase expectations.
Yeah, I agree with that but that was just plain dumb to actually expect that. I hope they weren't depending on that for money or anything. They'll always do well on the ticket sales but that doesn't mean the people are actually going to show up. They've made very half hearted attempts at upgrading the food/drink selection, fan contests, atmosphere, etc. I guess that speaks to your point that maybe they really believed that stuff but there are some things they could be doing right now that they just simply aren't doing. They are letting the thing rot, so I guess that speaks to my point about them not caring and understanding. We really don't know what they are thinking but yeah, they aren't reacting to anything.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:52 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
The food is vastly better and improving every year...

Old
04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
It's no where close to the caliber of 2 of the other venues in town. Have never eaten in Soldier Field, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't better as well.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
It's still rat **** compared to Comiskey. Look at what they did this offseason, promoting it so strongly, having it talked about so much on the radio stations. Never thought I would say this but the Cubs may want to look South for some marketing advice.

Also, lest we forget about the Undercover Boss episode a couple years ago that left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It's no where close to the caliber of 2 of the other venues in town. Have never eaten in Soldier Field, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't better as well.
I prefer the grilled hot dogs at Wrigley to the Cell's dogs.

Both of those two have more variety though, but the Cubs are getting better with it gradually.

Likewise with Soldier Field.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:21 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I prefer the grilled hot dogs at Wrigley to the Cell's dogs.

Both of those two have more variety though, but the Cubs are getting better with it gradually.

Likewise with Soldier Field.
The Sox did it right. It shouldn't take a 5 year plan to upgrade the food. Just do exactly what they did in one offseason and be done with it.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Illinihockey

I don't understand people complaining about food. Who goes to a game to eat? Just keep the beer cold, I'll eat before I leave the house. I can hold off for 3 hours.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:37 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I don't understand people complaining about food. Who goes to a game to eat? Just keep the beer cold, I'll eat before I leave the house. I can hold off for 3 hours.
A lot of people, I would imagine. I'm not one of those...if I'm going to Wrigley I'm eating at Goose Island 1st. But for some, especially those with kids, it's probably important.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
A lot of people, I would imagine. I'm not one of those...if I'm going to Wrigley I'm eating at Goose Island 1st. But for some, especially those with kids, it's probably important.
To an 8 year old, a hot dog is a hot dog. I think the whole "the food is terrible" argument at any ball park or stadium is absolutely ridiculous. Is there any other form of entertainment where you hear people complain about the food? Man the Rolling Stones sounded great but these nachos really leave something to be desired!

Old
04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Food and baseball kinda go hand and hand. It's the only sport will people go to games more so for the experience and to get outside and whatever other bull ****.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
gudzilla

so, i'm a european who's a panthers fan (hawks#1 in west, DT#1) in hockey, but just going to start watching baseball. Picked cubs cuz jim belushi in according to jim + al bundy ofc... so, figured if there's any lists or forums where i can find more info on cubs specific stuff, like who to hate, who to overrate etc

Old
04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

I like Bleacher Nation

Old
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Is there a bigger hack out there then Jim Belushi?

Old
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
coldsteelonice84

So some people don't think having great food would help the draw and make a lot of money, so let's just half ass it.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Is there a bigger hack out there then Jim Belushi?
Amen, the answer is a resounding hell no.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:09 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Another very earlier postponement on the south side. I'm convinced they're just trying to get as many games pushed back as possible, knowing they won't win if played right now anyway.

Closed Thread