HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Oliver Bjorkstrand - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2013, 89th overall, Columbus)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 06:13 AM
  #151
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ht=bjorkstrand

According to this scout Oliver is projected to go in the 1st round. He goes on to say, that some NHL scouts even have him mid 1st.

I dunno, I find it hard to believe he is even in the 1st round.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
  #152
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ht=bjorkstrand

According to this scout Oliver is projected to go in the 1st round. He goes on to say, that some NHL scouts even have him mid 1st.

I dunno, I find it hard to believe he is even in the 1st round.
It's hard to believe based on his current size. But maybe these scouts see something great in the mold?

In the playoffs he has currently 5G 9A in 12 matches and is 4-5'th for Portland Winterhawks (and best rookie in WHL) after the Rattie-Leipsic-Petan 1'st line trio.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
  #153
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
It's hard to believe based on his current size. But maybe these scouts see something great in the mold?

In the playoffs he has currently 5G 9A in 12 matches and is 4-5'th for Portland Winterhawks (and best rookie in WHL) after the Rattie-Leipsic-Petan 1'st line trio.
Ahh, well it would be fun to have another 1st rounder, but I just wouldn't bet my money on it.

I havent's seen enough of him to properly evaluate his skillset, but he must be doing something right. Top rookie scorer in a tough league. And yes Portland are a great team, but he is not on the powerhouse line. He is infact the powerhouse himself on the 2nd line. Petan is a great prospect, but has had the benefit of great linemates. He is smaller than Bjork, but I could see him as a late 1st rounder but most likely he will also go in the 2nd with Bjork.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:05 PM
  #154
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Ahh, well it would be fun to have another 1st rounder, but I just wouldn't bet my money on it.

I havent's seen enough of him to properly evaluate his skillset, but he must be doing something right. Top rookie scorer in a tough league. And yes Portland are a great team, but he is not on the powerhouse line. He is infact the powerhouse himself on the 2nd line. Petan is a great prospect, but has had the benefit of great linemates. He is smaller than Bjork, but I could see him as a late 1st rounder but most likely he will also go in the 2nd with Bjork.
To be fair, Leier, DeLeo and Bjorkstrand is a very good line on its own. Probably better than the majority of 1st lines in the WHL.

Travis Green, Portland interim head coach, feels Bjorkstrand is going to be a multiple time 50 goal scorer at the WHL level if that means anything.

He's good, but like you said, not sure he's a 1st.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
  #155
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
To be fair, Leier, DeLeo and Bjorkstrand is a very good line on its own. Probably better than the majority of 1st lines in the WHL.

Travis Green, Portland interim head coach, feels Bjorkstrand is going to be a multiple time 50 goal scorer at the WHL level if that means anything.

He's good, but like you said, not sure he's a 1st.
Yeah that is what makes Portland so dominant offensively. They have two pretty awesome forward lines.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
  #156
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
To be fair, Leier, DeLeo and Bjorkstrand is a very good line on its own. Probably better than the majority of 1st lines in the WHL.

Travis Green, Portland interim head coach, feels Bjorkstrand is going to be a multiple time 50 goal scorer at the WHL level if that means anything.

He's good, but like you said, not sure he's a 1st.
Ofcourse It's not all Bjork, I was just emphasizing It's a very solid team in all, and if they don't end up winning the whole shebang, ill bite my hat.

I Believe you, but do you have any articles or anything to maybe get a little inside look at what people in Portland think of him and his skillset.

Do you see Portland keeping them all for next season? And do you think Bjork will be promoted to the 1st line next year? Id love for him to become a 50 goal scorer

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:45 PM
  #157
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Ofcourse It's not all Bjork, I was just emphasizing It's a very solid team in all, and if they don't end up winning the whole shebang, ill bite my hat.

I Believe you, but do you have any articles or anything to maybe get a little inside look at what people in Portland think of him and his skillset.

Do you see Portland keeping them all for next season? And do you think Bjork will be promoted to the 1st line next year? Id love for him to become a 50 goal scorer
TSN draftcenter Podcast epidsode 8 is where I heard Travis Green's take.

I'm sure there are better people than me on this site who could weigh in on it, but I just imagine Bjorkstrand will slot up into Rattie's spot on the top line with Petan and Leipsic next year.

With Petan, I could see him hitting 50, especially since he will be the go-to sniper on the team next year.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
  #158
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
TSN draftcenter Podcast epidsode 8 is where I heard Travis Green's take.

I'm sure there are better people than me on this site who could weigh in on it, but I just imagine Bjorkstrand will slot up into Rattie's spot on the top line with Petan and Leipsic next year.

With Petan, I could see him hitting 50, especially since he will be the go-to sniper on the team next year.
Somehow I missed that episode But thanks mate.

Yeah, that would prolly be the most logical. I sure hope that happens, and that he stays in Portland.


Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 04-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:46 AM
  #159
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Good game by Oliver Bjørkstrand: 1G 1A in the Portland 3-1 win which takes them to 2-1 in games in the final against Edmonton.

Oliver Bjørkstrand has 7G 11A in 18 games and is +12. He is best rookie followed by Latvian Edgars Kulda from Edmonton with 2G 12A and Seth Jones 5G 8A from Portland.


Last edited by Justinov: 05-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:57 AM
  #160
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
He played alright today, he was just a number of Portland's endless supply of small, skilled forwards that were just playing shinny against the Oil Kings at times tonight. Hard to differentiate them from each other at times to be completely honest. Would have to see him a little more to evaluate his compete, puck protection, board work, etc. to see if he is really worth a 2nd or not. You really have to dig below the surface with these small, skilled guys. Many of them can make it but there are also those that can't. With that being said, in my first live viewing of him today he looked decent not prepared to say too much more than that.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
  #161
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,617
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
He played alright today, he was just a number of Portland's endless supply of small, skilled forwards that were just playing shinny against the Oil Kings at times tonight. Hard to differentiate them from each other at times to be completely honest. Would have to see him a little more to evaluate his compete, puck protection, board work, etc. to see if he is really worth a 2nd or not. You really have to dig below the surface with these small, skilled guys. Many of them can make it but there are also those that can't. With that being said, in my first live viewing of him today he looked decent not prepared to say too much more than that.
You make good points and a big part that separates certain prospects from others is the interview process and getting to know the kids. Do they have great drive, are they character kids? That can take a somewhat undersized kid from a 3rd round pick to a 2nd rounder pretty easily.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:53 AM
  #162
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Oliver Bjørkstrand interview:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...231305519.html

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
  #163
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,424
vCash: 597
Been really good in the Memorial Cup.

Fun offensive talent to watch.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
  #164
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Bjorkstrand has really surprised me. He was lights out against Edmonton in the WHL Finals and has carried that over to the final event in Saskatoon. Shifty little player that goes to the tough areas yet is able to elude contact.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:02 AM
  #165
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
How the hell did Bjorkstrand fall that far down? Some of the players taken before him were just

Same with Söberg.. Funny thing is, the CBJ fans don't even know how lucky they were to get the two that late..

Some are even critizising the Bjork pick.. Ignorance I guess.

Anywho, looks like we will have a chance to see a Danish - Norwegian partnership in Columbus

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:41 AM
  #166
Ebbisen
Registered User
 
Ebbisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lurking the HF board
Country: Sweden
Posts: 105
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post

Anywho, looks like we will have a chance to see a Danish - Norwegian partnership in Columbus
Dont forget Wennberg, all nordic line

But i am very happy with Söberg and specially the Björkstrand pick. Fun to follow Björkstrand and see if he can score 50 next season in Portland

Ebbisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:36 AM
  #167
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbisen View Post
Dont forget Wennberg, all nordic line

But i am very happy with Söberg and specially the Björkstrand pick. Fun to follow Björkstrand and see if he can score 50 next season in Portland
That would actually be epic fun

Yeah let's hope he does crack the 50 goal line, his coach seems to think he can

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:37 AM
  #168
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
How the hell did Bjorkstrand fall that far down? Some of the players taken before him were just

Same with Söberg.. Funny thing is, the CBJ fans don't even know how lucky they were to get the two that late..

Some are even critizising the Bjork pick.. Ignorance I guess.

Anywho, looks like we will have a chance to see a Danish - Norwegian partnership in Columbus
I've seen no criticism of Bjokstrand's pick, only curiosity because of lack of info. That is ignorance, of course, but it's curable with additional data about the kid. Those of you who know more about these Nordic players are most welcome on the CBJ HF site, we're a reasonably calm and international bunch!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:13 AM
  #169
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,874
vCash: 500
Loved our draft, hopefully this is one of many steals in the later rounds!

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
  #170
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I've seen no criticism of Bjokstrand's pick, only curiosity because of lack of info. That is ignorance, of course, but it's curable with additional data about the kid. Those of you who know more about these Nordic players are most welcome on the CBJ HF site, we're a reasonably calm and international bunch!
Take things with a grain of salt on the Scandi boards That's all I can say.

Anywho, I remember seing a couple being dissatisfied with the pick, could'of been on the mainboard though

You guys, need just ask, then youll get answers... There are better peeps out there to answer though, as im half Danish and don't even come from where Oliver does

Have you read through this forum? Im sure there a few videos and links to interviews.. There was one really good one on the TSN draft watch a couple weeks ago, I do believe the link is here.

Also, YT is a bit dry when it comes to Oliver, most things on there are interviews from his time in Denmark. And then you have a bunch of highlight videos from whole games.

Oh and don't worry, at some point your forum will get a few Danish visitors, it'l make a difference from some of the madhouse forums on HF like my own Nucks for instance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Loved our draft, hopefully this is one of many steals in the later rounds!
You guys have Jarmo, he is a legend at drafting imo You guys will be pleasantly suprised with Söberg too

And don't worry, Oliver does not have the same mentality as Starkov


Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 07-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
  #171
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,523
vCash: 500
I had hoped the Canucks would have taken him 85th over Cole Cassels.

Helluva pick at 85th, he had moved into my top 50 as the season progressed. This kid will score 50 WHL goals next year, I have NO DOUBTS.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
  #172
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I had hoped the Canucks would have taken him 85th over Cole Cassels.

Helluva pick at 85th, he had moved into my top 50 as the season progressed. This kid will score 50 WHL goals next year, I have NO DOUBTS.
You and me both mate! I can't believe how many teams passed up on him over a few guys that werent even ranked at midterm.

Yeah I think he can do that too, he has a real scoring touch too him!

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  #173
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
This lovely montage of Olly is now up, Or at least never saw it before now


ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
  #174
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the information on Oliver..

glad you Portland fans are getting an NHL team in Seattle. I love this RW. Bjorkstrand will work out great for the CBJ organization. They are not scared to play guys under 6'0 and this young guy gives us some of the skill & talent we have been looking for.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:45 AM
  #175
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
glad you Portland fans are getting an NHL team in Seattle. I love this RW. Bjorkstrand will work out great for the CBJ organization. They are not scared to play guys under 6'0 and this young guy gives us some of the skill & talent we have been looking for.
AFAIK, the team is staying in Glendale

And it is awesome that CBJ doesn't have the same phobia of smaller players, as pretty much the rest of the league.

On another note:

-----------------------------------

I think HF's own anaysis of Olly, sums it up pretty well:

"Heavy shot and a quick release. Aggressive forechecker with little fear of traffic in attacking zone. Responsible defensively, but strong suit is a nose for the net."


Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 07-03-2013 at 07:38 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.