HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I think the Oilers need Jones just as bad as Colorado does...The Oilers biggest need right now is a #1 dman... Hmmm what is Jones projected to be again?

A number #1 Defenseman.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
I think the Oilers need Jones just as bad as Colorado does...The Oilers biggest need right now is a #1 dman... Hmmm what is Jones projected to be again?
And how do you think we get there? Unless we somehow get the 3rd overall pick I don't see Florida moving down to 5th or whatever unless we are giving a big name in return.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Eskie Jetski

vCash: 500
Would trading our first round pick land a #1 d-man right away? MacT says he wants to be aggressive, so why not accelerate the rebuild and get someone who can play right away and not years from now for a change?

Old
04-23-2013, 12:04 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And how do you think we get there? Unless we somehow get the 3rd overall pick I don't see Florida moving down to 5th or whatever unless we are giving a big name in return.
The way there last 9 games have gone I would not be surprised if the Oilers do not win a game for the last three games of the season. They are 4 points up on Colorado...if Colorado goes 2-1 to end the year and Oilers go 0-3 than they are there.

Or they sweeten the pot a little more when trading up.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:05 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskie Jetski View Post
Would trading our first round pick land a #1 d-man right away? MacT says he wants to be aggressive, so why not accelerate the rebuild and get someone who can play right away and not years from now for a change?
You are preaching to the choir when it comes to me.

But that being said, the 1st rounder would not land you a #1 dman unless it was packaged with a equally significant piece.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I was thinking about some good veterans to pick up that can both help the team win games short term and mentor players for the long term. Dan Boyle seems like a perfect fit for me. Instant leadership, playoff experience and everything you want in a veteran. He's older, probably has two years left, but I think it would be a good short term investment.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
#1 d-men aren't exactly moved everyday. That's why.

Similar picks that have been moved lately.

8th overall, Sutter, Dumolin for Staal.

8th overall Voracek, 3rd for Carter

9th overall, 1st(Seguin) for Kessel

That pick in itself is no where close to getting a #1 d-man unless it somehow becomes the 1st overall pick or we end up drafting in the top 5.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
It would, but who's that guy that's coming for that pick. That's the rub right? It's nice to say, but how do you go and do it, and who's willing to dance with you to do it?

Old
04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
rosemount289

No................!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
He didn't have to decide that before? IMO RNH was the only lock for 1st overall. Right now I'm happy with his choice of Hall over Seguin. So far I like Yas over Murray, and if Gallchenyuk becomes better, you cant blame Stu for not taking that risk.

Hall, RNH, Yakupov were all consensus #1 picks, every publication had them rank as # 1 overall............! Even Eberle was picked where he was ranked (and the scout Davidsons lived in Regina and knew the family)............!

Has any other juniors picked after the first round made the team.........? Magnus Paajarvi was a #1 pick but he was picked exactly where he was slotted.
I guess Anton Landers is........but the jury is still out on him!

I am not saying Stu is a bad scout........but he has not proven to be a great talent evaluator as expressed previously but he is better than Pendergast.

Last edited by rosemount289: 04-23-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old
04-23-2013, 12:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
The way there last 9 games have gone I would not be surprised if the Oilers do not win a game for the last three games of the season. They are 4 points up on Colorado...if Colorado goes 2-1 to end the year and Oilers go 0-3 than they are there.

Or they sweeten the pot a little more when trading up.
I guess well know Saturday. COL isn't the only team we'd have to pass going down. CAR, NSH, TB are also there. Plus CGY dressing all those AHL players could drop them.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:14 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It would, but who's that guy that's coming for that pick. That's the rub right? It's nice to say, but how do you go and do it, and who's willing to dance with you to do it?
does this years first, next years 1st and gagner get us close to weber? cause thats the first place im looking when moving a player/pick

Old
04-23-2013, 12:15 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
I guess well know Saturday. COL isn't the only team we'd have to pass going down. CAR, NSH, TB are also there. Plus CGY dressing all those AHL players could drop them.
Yes I agree it is a long shot. I can see them ending up in the 4-5th range when it is all said and done.
Calgary is actually playing their best hockey of the year with all those AHL kids. They are all trying their hardest to keep the job for next year. Its funny because management most likely called them all up to try and tank but the kids are producing and they are getting the opposite effect.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:15 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
hopefully nashville beats calgary in a shootout tonight, i hate cheering for a tank but really whats the differnce if we lose a few more games. one day it has to pay off, right? right?

Old
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
does this years first, next years 1st and gagner get us close to weber? cause thats the first place im looking when moving a player/pick
For sure, I would say Gagner, Petry and 2014 1st 'could' get that done, it just depends on Nashville's desire to do that.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
BlueChip01

Even if the Oilers get a Jones, they would probably just throw him right on the top pairing.

This org really needs to start getting NHL caliber players to ease kids in.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I honestly can not think of a package that would be worth trading Hall, RNH or Yakupov right now.
Seriously? You lack imagination then.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:29 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
For sure, I would say Gagner, Petry and 2014 1st 'could' get that done, it just depends on Nashville's desire to do that.
Yeah I could see a deal around those three... Edmonton would prob have to add some lower picks as well or maybe one of their defensive prospects.

I like looking at the Pronger deals for references.

Pronger was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for forward Joffrey Lupul, defensive prospect Ladislav md, Anaheim's 2007 first-round draft pick, a conditional first-round draft pick.

Pronger and Ryan Dingle, was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Lupul, defenceman Luca Sbisa, two first round draft picks and a conditional third round draft pick.

So Judging by these trades...The going rate was an established NHLer with upside, a highly touted defensive prospect and two firsts.

I think the Oilers could do Gagner, Klefbom/Petry, 2013 1st round drafted player, 2014 conditional 1st (if Oilers make playoffs next season)

Old
04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Seriously? You lack imagination then.
No I just have realistic thoughts. Super trades don't happen where you are sending high end talent for high end talent.

When some one of high of calibre as these three are involved in deals it is always quality for quantity... and I am under the belief that the team who acquires the best player in the trade wins the trade 9 times out of 10.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:51 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
Hall, RNH, Yakupov were all consensus #1 picks, every publication had them rank as # 1 overall............! Even Eberle was picked where he was ranked (and the scout Davidsons lived in Regina and knew the family)............!

Has any other juniors picked after the first round made the team.........? Magnus Paajarvi was a #1 pick but he was picked exactly where he was slotted.

I am not saying Stu is a bad scout........but he has not proven to be a great talent evaluator as expressed previously but he is better than Pendergast.
I think it is way to early to say that Stu's picks have been busts......

Did you think that players picked in the 2nd round would come into the league and dominate in their first 3-5 years? They are second rounder's for a reason.

Stu has drafted some pretty respectable players in the 2nd round that can still pan out and that are currently performing pretty well.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post

Central Scouting ranked Seguin #1 over Hall.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:10 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetweasy View Post
I think it is way to early to say that Stu's picks have been busts......

Did you think that players picked in the 2nd round would come into the league and dominate in their first 3-5 years? They are second rounder's for a reason.

Stu has drafted some pretty respectable players in the 2nd round that can still pan out and that are currently performing pretty well.
Really? Like who? Marincin is the only one who is really tracking well that he's picked. I guess Musil too, who was essentially a late 1st.

The forwards Stu has picked in round 2 have all been lower tier. Pitlick's stock has dropped since draft day, and Hamilton and Martindale are both duds. Moroz wasn't a popular pick, and hasn't shown much improvement since last season.

I'd say Stu's picks have been average. He's done a good job taking the obvious guys 1st overall and has made some good later picks (Klefbom, Eberle, Rajala, Gernat). Then for every good pick, he's had a 2nd that isn't looking good.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Both Boston and Edmonton wanted Hall (the only teams that had a shot at him)... add to that his back to back Memorial cup performances and I think there was definitely an edge for Hall there.

Old **** is old **** though... concentrate the arguments and energy on the tank and drafting top 5 in this draft.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Senor Catface

With the system that Nashville plays, I'm not sure Gagner would be high on their list.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:33 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
In my not so honorable opinion i think if your batting close to .500 on late first and second round picks you are doing pretty well.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Central Scouting ranked Seguin #1 over Hall.
The only service which ranked him number 1, a ranking which was given before the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs even started(march/april), which was before Hall fully separated himself as the superior choice with his dominant playoffs/memorial cup.

The head CS guy actually did an interview right after the list came out, he stated Seguin was number 1 on their list because they were looking at the needs of the teams that would be selecting that high, and Edmonton really needed a "big, right handed center".

Otherwise it was a consensus that Hall was the best player in the draft, with Seguin having the potential to maybe be a better player down the road.

Closed Thread