HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEN Years ago today....one of the saddest of my life..

Old
09-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

vCash: 500
Cam Neely was and still is my all-time favourite player. He is exactly what I dream of in a player. It is so amazing that he put up some of the numbers he did -- on one leg. He is a true Bruin and will always have a place in my heart.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 02:57 AM
San Diego Johnny

Send a message via AIM to San Diego Johnny
Cam was my favorite too. I loved the intensity he showed on the ice, he left it all out there. His coming back from injuries was almost as inspirational as the charity work he's done for the Boston community. He was one of a kind and I always dreamed that one day he'd be "Captain Cam" perhaps after Bourque retired from the Bruins. But alas, we know neither of these things happened. Think how much more he could have accomplished!

San Diego Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 11:22 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I was responding to someone who assumed what Neely's career could have been like had he never gotten hurt.

Cam was 26 when he got hurt? 26!!! He played what... one full season with Oates? Are you kidding? Neely was just hitting his prime when he got hurt. Had they beaten the Pens in that series, Neely would have challenged Jari Kurri's playoff goal scoring record (15 at the time?).

Sinden did go after people like Iafrete, and Kevin Stevens didn't he? Neither worked out, but they were top shelf players at the time.

Imagine having to deal with a healthy Neely, with guys like Ruzicka on the the 2nd line. People like Heinze would have never seen 1st line duty. Without Neely the B's were still competitive, with him they were a machine. The early 90's Penguins proved they were human a year later, the B's could have been right there.

You're right, the Bruins went reeling without Neely, and don't forget Moog... another guy we've been trying to replace for over a decade. You can't replace a 50goal scorer, or playoff scoring machine. Don't forget a forechecker that made the opposing team afraid to touch the puck or take a penalty.
Come on, Ruzicka was jettisoned because he had no interest in being an NHL player. And yet he was still probably the only talented offensive player added in the 92-95 stretch to take some of the scoring pressure off of Neely.

You're right, Heinz was never a first line talent, but that didn't stop the B's from slotting him in there. As much as I was a fan of Iafraite I thought it was a mistake to deal Juneau for him.

As for replacing Moog, let's look at some of those failures. Lacher, Ryabchikov, Casey, Blue, et al.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
Come on, Ruzicka was jettisoned because he had no interest in being an NHL player. And yet he was still probably the only talented offensive player added in the 92-95 stretch to take some of the scoring pressure off of Neely.

You're right, Heinz was never a first line talent, but that didn't stop the B's from slotting him in there. As much as I was a fan of Iafraite I thought it was a mistake to deal Juneau for him.

As for replacing Moog, let's look at some of those failures. Lacher, Ryabchikov, Casey, Blue, et al.
Come on what? You're making my point. Add a healthy Neely to those line ups, a lot could have been different. Like I said Hienz/Leach type players would be on the second line where they belonged. Rosie was short lived, but I'm not sneezing at 40 goals, even in the early 90's.

Of course Iafrate was a mistake, because Iafrete had a career ending injury soon after. Kevin Stevens was coming off a 50 goal season, albiet playing with 66. My complaint was they didn't make moves like that sooner. They were plagued w/ bad luck in trades, and especially injuries. We were blessed Cam eever came back at all.

You forgot Dafoe in your horrid goalie list. The Moogs only come around once in a while.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 11:53 PM
nifty988

Cam was the man. Boston goal scored by #8..Cam Neely!! assists by #12 Adam Oates and #77 Ray Bourque! 1990-1992..that is what the B's scoring consisted of..I miss those days.

nifty988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 01:00 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty988 View Post
Cam was the man. Boston goal scored by #8..Cam Neely!! assists by #12 Adam Oates and #77 Ray Bourque! 1990-1992..that is what the B's scoring consisted of..I miss those days.
Pretty much all it consisted of. That is why even without Cam's problems those teams wouldn't have done anything.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Tommy Boy
2011 Cup Champs!!!

Send a message via AIM to Tommy Boy Send a message via MSN to Tommy Boy
I cried my eyes out when he retired....and everytime I see that Press Conference it all comes rushing back. When I was growing up that guy was my Superman he could do it all I remember looking in the Globe growing up hating reading everything except the Sports (not alot has changed since then, I like the rest a little more now though ) but I would check the Hockey section and almost every day that he played it seemed like he was in the multiple goal scorers of the day section. That guy is was and forever will be the epitome of a Bruin. He bleed for us and for all intents and purposes lost proper use of his leg for us the fans. You can't ask for a better player ever.

Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 04:45 PM
BuppY

Cam was a warrior.

BuppY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:01 PM
NHRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Oh-And on a sidenote...Most embarrassed I've been as a Bruins fan has to do with Cam Neely...

The night they retired his jersey was the night I realized how much of a business the game had become. The videos, his speach, the guests, the whole atmosphere was electric...One of the fiercest, hardest working, most respected players to ever lace them up.

And the team had one of the most sub-par games I've ever seen. How could you sit through video of his courage and heart, have a whole crowd behind you, and come out flat?

I was REALLY pissed...My buddy who's a Bruins fan also was'nt upset at all. I was livid though. This is ONE chance to pay tribute to one of the greatest players of all time...and they blew it. And it's embarrassing to me. If I was coach-I would've went through the roof.
I was there and they actually came out firing in the third period and won the game. I wondered though for quite a while if they were going to blow it on Neely night.

I was such a big Neely fan that I, like many people in New England, named my first son Cameron.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
I was there and they actually came out firing in the third period and won the game. I wondered though for quite a while if they were going to blow it on Neely night.

I was such a big Neely fan that I, like many people in New England, named my first son Cameron.
I thought hard about Cameron for my boy due in January. But figured he'll be even more likely to get notes sent home from teachers saying,"Cam does not play well w/ others".

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote