HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Will NHL teams start wearing new jerseys every season?

Old
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
New jerseys every season, I don't believe, will ever happen as long as the North American style of jersey is done.

North American jerseys are generally done by cutting up fabric and sewing it together into basic patterns. European jerseys are all sublimated, allowing for extremely complex designs to exist.

North American styles are more labor-intensive to make, meaning that there's a much larger minimum order that must be placed to stock stores with them. They're more costly to make, plus the customization is done differently. The fact that a bad year may mean sitting on jersey stock for years to come means that the teams themselves would reject the idea of new styles every year, regardless of what the marketplace may or may not dictate.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
North American jerseys are generally done by cutting up fabric and sewing it together into basic patterns. European jerseys are all sublimated, allowing for extremely complex designs to exist.
Quite true.... unless in the future they opt for a cheaper manufacturing process using silk screen applications rather than direct embroidery & or the application of cresting & numbers using sewing machines. A couple of washes, you'll need a new jersey MB. Numbers, cresting, begins to fade, crackle. So its back to the shop for another... and another.... and another..... they'll figure it out eventually. The initial price might be cheaper, but they'll wear out, and by simple washing, not wear. Diabolical, yes?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
damn this was supposed to go to the business forum, could a mod please move?
Done and done. Sorry Kil.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Done and done. Sorry Kil.
Oh hey, I think you did the right thing, as we'd gone from historical through to the
contemporary, discussing now the future and with a decidedly business bent to it.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

I think the NHL has already found their preferred method of jersey-gouging: Endless winter classic/heritage/special anniversary jerseys plus special edition practice jerseys, girls/womens pink "breast cancer awareness" jerseys, and a new jersey every 4-5 years. All that is more than enough.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Crease

I understand the economic benefit teams experience when they rebrand. But I also do enjoy tradition and continuity. In my ideal world teams would use the same timeless home/away sets year in and year out, with the exception of one game. Have every team play that day, in which they wear an alternative set. Call it "Sweater Day" or something.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:30 PM
silvercanuck

Arent NHL sweaters a heck of a lot more expensive than soccer kits?

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I'll just CC what I already said on the soccer board today:

Quote:
The structure of our 'big 4' leagues apparel deals don't make changing uniforms yearly feasible. It's not like soccer where teams see a good chunk of profit from selling their shirts. The leagues collect royalties from the manufacturer who then profit from the sales. In the NHL's case, teams only see profit directly from jersey and apparel sales when they are bought from NHL.com or from a team's official store.

The uniform is simply more sacred here. It's a much bigger part of the franchises' brands than it is in Europe.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:25 AM
drive45

One more reason to hate soccer.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:49 AM
NJDevils7

Soccer teams need to have jersey sponsors in order to make money. There is only ONE commercial break (halftime) in a soccer match. Its not like the 4 major sports where there are 15 commercial breaks a game where they can make money off advertisements.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
Soccer teams need to have jersey sponsors in order to make money. There is only ONE commercial break (halftime) in a soccer match. Its not like the 4 major sports where there are 15 commercial breaks a game where they can make money off advertisements.
Didn't realize that teams were the ones broadcasting games and not, you know, the TV stations...

Old
04-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The moment advertising shows up on NHL jerseys, I'm done. At most I'll listen to games on the radio. Reebok already destroyed the NHL jersey forever. The fit is horrible. Paneling, piping... It's absolute trash. Throw ads on top and it's an absolute disgrace. I'm already sick of ads in the glass and under the ice. To just make up jerseys and try to pass them off as historical representations is reprehensible. The inability for teams to come up with a logo and color scheme that their team can be recognized by in an unmistakable fashion, is a joke. Have some class. Have an identity. Quit switching colors, logos, and patterns.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:22 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
The moment advertising shows up on NHL jerseys, I'm done. At most I'll listen to games on the radio. Reebok already destroyed the NHL jersey forever. The fit is horrible. Paneling, piping... It's absolute trash. Throw ads on top and it's an absolute disgrace. I'm already sick of ads in the glass and under the ice. To just make up jerseys and try to pass them off as historical representations is reprehensible. The inability for teams to come up with a logo and color scheme that their team can be recognized by in an unmistakable fashion, is a joke. Have some class. Have an identity. Quit switching colors, logos, and patterns.

And I thought I was all alone to think that way... Thanks.

And my answer to the thread question is: PLEASE NO!

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

When Reebok introduced the new "uniform system" I got a little worried that they were trying to go the soccer route, and introducing something new every year.

When they stripped down alot of the unis (Toronto, Edmonton, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Dallas, Colorado, etc...), I got worried that they were trying to go the 'colours' route for a uniform design, as opposed to a flat out, proper design (i.e. Montreal, Boston, Rangers, Detroit). For example, I thought they stripped down the Leafs uniforms to as basic as possible, simple blue and white, with the intention that they could start introducing a new uniform every year, sticking with the blue and white, but with design adjustments every year (like how Euro soccer teams have their colours, but the design is in constant flux).

Thankfully that hasn't happened; and team's have actually been wising up, and introducing proper unfiorms (Toronto, Edmonton, Tampa Bay). Unfortunately, far too many teams still have the generic "RBK Edge Uniform System" template (Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Dallas, Colorado, etc...)

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
The moment advertising shows up on NHL jerseys, I'm done...
Soon...

... eventual primary jersey pattern,

followed by Nascar on Acid...

Last edited by Killion: 04-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Quite true.... unless in the future they opt for a cheaper manufacturing process using silk screen applications rather than direct embroidery & or the application of cresting & numbers using sewing machines. A couple of washes, you'll need a new jersey MB. Numbers, cresting, begins to fade, crackle. So its back to the shop for another... and another.... and another..... they'll figure it out eventually. The initial price might be cheaper, but they'll wear out, and by simple washing, not wear. Diabolical, yes?
Diabolical, and it'll absolutely never happen.

It may be shocking, but the NHL actually listens to teams. If teams are being provided with an inferior product simply in the name of making money for a manufacturer with an exclusive license, it would in itself be a breach of the contract. I'd argue that trying to foist the Indo-Edge on teams before last year was in itself a bad-faith move on the part of Reebok, but no one asked me.

Anyway, teams have had issues in the past, oddly enough "in the old days". Quebec used to have all of their trim screened on, and any Nordiques jersey from 1990-91 on back most likely has letters, numbers, or fleur de lis missing or at least heavily damaged. Pittsburgh had the same with their crest for a few years. Other teams (Hartford, Boston, and a few more) used to use twill for their numbers that wasn't colorfast, so it would bleed and fade with laundering.

The NHL would absolutely never allow that type of thing to happen again. I still think that sublimating will become the standard. It's been done before, and frankly there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Jerseys are too expensive to buy every season...I've bought two in the past eight years and one of them was a retro Lemieux jersey...

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Soccer kits cost, at most, ~$50. Nobody will buy an NHL jersey every year at the price point they're selling at currently.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Diabolical.... I still think that sublimating will become the standard. It's been done before, and frankly there's no reason why it shouldn't be.
What do you mean "sublimating"? You talking about screening or actually weaving into fabric's pre-cut & assembly the corporate logo's of sponsors, not noticeable at all visually, consciously, and when hit at just the right angle by the 250 watt ceramic spots hanging above the ice surface you'd get a nano-second "imprint" on every single viewer, repeatedly throughout the game, and they wouldnt even know it? Only registering at the subconscious level?... I'm not sure MayorBee, but I think that might be illegal. FCC & CRTC would have something to say about that.... if they ever found out that is....

Old
04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Soccer kits cost, at most, ~$50. Nobody will buy an NHL jersey every year at the price point they're selling at currently.
They cost more than that. Especially if you're buying through official channels. A Man United shirt from their official team website is 45 pounds! And that is with no name, no arm badges, nothing but the plain shirt with the club badge and the sponsor.

NHL sweaters are not going to become a 'new one every year' deal, but it isn't because of any sort of 'courtesy' to their customers. Its just because, for a number of reasons, they can't get away with it.

Soccer teams can. And they do it in spite of the ridiculous prices.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:58 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I'd like to know where you are buying these around $50 shirts at. $85 seems to be the going rate for a SS jersey.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

I meant to do a £

and the usual spiel about the relative value of the pound compared to the dollar being irrelevant to people in England, who are buying the most shirts, etc

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Didn't realize that teams were the ones broadcasting games and not, you know, the TV stations...
Broadcasters pay the league/teams. The more advertising, the more they're willing to pay.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
What do you mean "sublimating"? You talking about screening or actually weaving into fabric's pre-cut & assembly the corporate logo's of sponsors, not noticeable at all visually, consciously, and when hit at just the right angle by the 250 watt ceramic spots hanging above the ice surface you'd get a nano-second "imprint" on every single viewer, repeatedly throughout the game, and they wouldnt even know it? Only registering at the subconscious level?... I'm not sure MayorBee, but I think that might be illegal. FCC & CRTC would have something to say about that.... if they ever found out that is....
Sublimating is the process of converting something directly from solid to gas without a stopover in liquid stage.

Sublimating a jersey involves huge amounts of white polyester fabric. The design of the final jersey is printed off with a particular type of ink on a particular type of paper. That's placed on the white fabric, and a heat press is used to basically inject the ink into the fabric. Any asymmetrical design of the lat 20 years involved sublimating, from the Bruins' Pooh Bear alternate (the trim in particular) to the Cleveland Lumberjacks' saw blade to the Carolina Monarchs' red-to-blue gradient to the Dallas Stars' star cut. The crest is still twill and is added afterward, as well as the numbers and nameplate.

Sublimating actually makes the ink part of the jersey; it's not a separate layer on top. So it can withstand heavy laundering without damage, as long as bleach isn't used.

As for the second half of your post....

Old
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sublimating actually makes the ink part of the jersey; it's not a separate layer on top..... As for the second half of your post....
Oh ok, gotcha. Isnt screened on top. Injected right into the fabric using a giant, odious lookin hypodermic needle, sterile environment. Like in that Schwarzenegger documentary that exposed Rekall Corporation. Messin with the mind, eidetic memories & loyalties.... like I said MB.....

diabolical.