HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It seems very likely we will be facing the leafs...

Old
04-23-2013, 12:24 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Experience is overrated imo. Star players don't forget how to play because it's the playoffs, either your team is good enough or it isn't.
Not true at all. Experience is important. Many star players have crumbled under the pressure and many minor players have been known to step up to the plate. Many good teams fail and many inferior teams advance. It is a different game. Don't you ever notice people talk about playoff performers? Players who elevate their game in the playoffs and who become one of the best players on the ice?

Why do you think NHL players and coaches and management all regard playoff experience very highly? When trading for a player, playoff experience is an important asset. Do you think you know about what it takes to succeed in the NHL playoffs than actual NHL personnel? I never said it is a huge advantage, but it is an advantage nonetheless.

Sometimes I wonder if people on these boards actually watch hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
This is exactly how I see it. It's the Briere/Cammalleri factor. Some players are fuelled by the pressure, others are crushed by it. The Habs have been awful the last 10 days, but that may have no bearing on what happens once the puck is dropped in Game-One. Let's hope, anyways. I have no question guys like Moen and Gionta will step it up in the playoffs, but have no idea what Price and the rest will do. All the number-crunching and stats won't make a difference then.
Good point. Some players just step their game up in the playoffs, no matter what. Like our very own Brian Gionta, who actually has better numbers in the playoffs than he does in his recent regular seasons. He has actually gotten better as he has gotten older.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Derek Synak

It would certainly be an interesting and much media hyped series.

I can't even make a prediction on the outcome because playoff hockey differs quite a bit from regular season play.

BOTH teams are fast, there is this misconception on this board that the Leafs are slow but in reality half of the Leaf defenders on any given night are mobile ( Dion, Gunnar, Liles, Gardiner) and they have 3 lines of fast skating, skilled forwards with good size.

BOTH Teams have above average goaltending....Say what you want about Reimer, all he's done at any level is proven himself to be very good, and we all know how good Price is most of the time.

BOTH teams can score... That's pretty obvious.

The Leafs have a distinct edge in physicality and toughness, this can be the turning point in the series if either the Leafs intimidate the Habs and get them playing scared or the Habs play pesky and get under the Leafs skin and get them running around after the Habs and taking stupid penalties.

Derek Synak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Not true at all. Experience is important. Many star players have crumbled under the pressure and many minor players have been known to step up to the plate. Many good teams fail and many inferior teams advance. It is a different game. Don't you ever notice people talk about playoff performers? Players who elevate their game in the playoffs and who become one of the best players on the ice?

Why do you think NHL players and coaches and management all regard playoff experience very highly? When trading for a player, playoff experience is an important asset. Do you think you know about what it takes to succeed in the NHL playoffs than actual NHL personnel? I never said it is a huge advantage, but it is an advantage nonetheless.

Sometimes I wonder if people on these boards actually watch hockey.
IMO experience isn't any more important in the playoffs than in the regular season. Rather, I think that young players are generally held to a different standard the rest of the time, a different standard that disappears when games become must-wins.

"Beaulieu is doing fine for a 20 year old" disappears in the playoffs. At that point a team would rather use a Drewiske who the Habs have almost zero invested in, but is still a better player right now.

Even when watching a hockey game in the present moment, fans watch young players like scouts, dreaming of what they will become. In the playoffs that is irrelevant, they are just hockey players playing the same game.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:37 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO experience isn't any more important in the playoffs than in the regular season. Rather, I think that young players are generally held to a different standard the rest of the time, a different standard that disappears when games become must-wins.

"Beaulieu is doing fine for a 20 year old" disappears in the playoffs. At that point a team would rather use a Drewiske who the Habs have almost zero invested in, but is still a better player right now.

Even when watching a hockey game in the present moment, fans watch young players like scouts, dreaming of what they will become. In the playoffs that is irrelevant, they are just hockey players playing the same game.
Great point. So if I'm understanding this correctly, it is general NHL hockey experience that matters more in the playoffs than playoff experience? I can definitely agree with that, which is why I am reluctant on throwing Jarred Tinordi into the playoff fire as many of the Habs board seems to want to do.

Though I think it is safe to say that one would prefer having a veteran with lots of playoff experience on his roster as opposed to a veteran with none, with all other factors remaining equal. At least that's how I see it, and I get the impression many NHL personnel see it the same way. But your point is definitely true as well.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote