HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Old
04-23-2013, 01:33 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Got my issue of THN today as well, from my subscription (collecting purposes).

Much of the same, in the sense that it's more for the casual draft fan. Features the regular small bio's. At the same time keep in mind this is a $6 magazine, whereas the other ones cost much more, but for good reason.

If you're a hardcore draft/prospect junkie and you want in-depth scouting reports, stick with the other 5 on the main post.
Any clue when THN hits the shelf? In terms of THN my only beef with it is much like CSB it doesn't seem to take playoffs into consideration and many times they miss out on a player whose value skyrockets with a good playoff/memorial cup

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Not saying I particularly agree or disagree with them, but a few surprises for me with the THN draft preview were:

Robert Hagg at 12
Adam Erne at 13
Mirco Mueller at 18
Hunter Shinkaruk at 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Any clue when THN hits the shelf? In terms of THN my only beef with it is much like CSB it doesn't seem to take playoffs into consideration and many times they miss out on a player whose value skyrockets with a good playoff/memorial cup
Official street date is April 29th, but it may start hitting store shelves at least in Ontario any day now.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-26-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: merge
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Not saying I particularly agree or disagree with them, but a few surprises for me with the THN draft preview were:

Robert Hagg at 12
Adam Erne at 13
Mirco Mueller at 18
Hunter Shinkaruk at 23
Why is Mueller at 18 a surprise?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Why is Mueller at 18 a surprise?
Based on many years of THN rankings, I didn't think they'd have him that high. I was expecting 30-40. Usually guys that shoot up the rankings somewhat late in the season don't really reflect that in the THN guide, from what I can remember.

Mueller is definitely rising though, and it wouldn't be a shock to see him actually go in the 20-25 range come draft day.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-23-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
thefeebster

Looking to make a purchase this year and i've narrowed it down to two guides - McKeens or HP's Black Book. I was set to buy McK, but then i read last year's thread and that "employee" was very rude. Then the Black Book received a lot of praise, also like that it has a ipad version so i can watch the draft and flip through it.

I want something very comprehensive in breaking down aspects of a player, not just the top 90, but late rounders as well.

Anyone have any advice?

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Looking to make a purchase this year and i've narrowed it down to two guides - McKeens or HP's Black Book. I was set to buy McK, but then i read last year's thread and that "employee" was very rude. Then the Black Book received a lot of praise, also like that it has a ipad version so i can watch the draft and flip through it.

I want something very comprehensive in breaking down aspects of a player, not just the top 90, but late rounders as well.

Anyone have any advice?
Those are my two favorites, and the ones I purchase every year. That McKeen's employee last year definitely let their emotions get the best of them, and didn't exactly make themselves look good on here, but to me that doesn't change my opinion that they produce the most in-depth scouting reports.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of the 5 major guides, but if I could recommend only one it would be McKeen's, followed by HP. Again, just my personal opinion.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Anyone have any advice?
Last year McKeen's had an in-depth look at the top-60, slightly less in-depth look at the next 60 and some honourable mentions + sleepers. According to their website they'll be doing something similar this year as well (a top-120 and honourable mentions + sleepers), so it's possible you won't get too much info about the late rounders. McKeen's reports were comprehensive, so that part of your requirements should be fulfilled if you decide to go with their guide.

One thing I didn't like about McKeen's guide last year was the layout. The reports were a wall of text, some paragraphing would've made it more enjoyable to read.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:42 AM
JeffShibley

Quote:
Got my issue of THN today as well, from my subscription (collecting purposes).

Much of the same, in the sense that it's more for the casual draft fan. Features the regular small bio's. At the same time keep in mind this is a $6 magazine, whereas the other ones cost much more, but for good reason.

If you're a hardcore draft/prospect junkie and you want in-depth scouting reports, stick with the other 5 on the main post.

The THN rankings were compiled by HF's resident scout Grant McCagg who consulted with several people.
i havn't received mine yet, but I live in Los Angeles so maybe thats why...

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffShibley View Post
i havn't received mine yet, but I live in Los Angeles so maybe thats why...
Yes, the delivery of THN issues has been largely terrible in the United States for years. I remember hearing of people receiving their issues weeks after those in Canada do. In some cases, 2 issues behind..

Old
04-25-2013, 10:57 PM
J0rdan

I'm trying to decide which book would work best for me, and would like some help!

I've read this thread, I've clicked on each link for each product, and came to a few conclusions and questions. Insights from people who have previously owned past versions of these, or from employees/representatives themselves would be absolutely awesome!

--------

In short, i'm looking for a book that has long detailed reports for as many draftees as possible.

Last year I got McKeen's guide. (This was the first time I ever had any NHL draft guide.) I liked that it had a lot of players in its guide, and it seemed like its profiles on its "Honorable Mentions" and "sleepers" seemed to cover most of the players in the later rounds not from the already mentioned 120.

What really struck me after doing some research on other books this year was HPs products. They seem to fit my needs of many players with detailed descriptions. However, I seem to like their draft guide better than their black book.

I was able to find a preview of HPs two products by looking at the 2012 versions on amazon. (This is great, because I like to see what I am purchasing before I buy it!) I saw that the black book sorts its draftees by their teams name and then by league. I don't like this. I guess I'm not as much of a 'power user', as I'm guessing this book is intended for. This format would seem to be best for someone who is already familiar with most of the draftees and know who in particular they want to look up and read about. I do not know most of the names outside of the projected first rounders!

I seem to prefer books that are sorted by a given "ranking" or "projected range" which seems to be the case with HPs draft guide. If the black book was formatted in this way, it would be perfect for me!

the preview for HPs 2012 draft guide only showed me the first five players reports, but I liked the reports a lot. They were fairly long if not longer than McKeen's for the same players, and I like the way they were worded... (using we decided, we discussed, it shows that they gave a lot of thought into everything they said about each player.)

I'm concerned about just how detailed the reports are for HP for some of the later players in the guide... especially after reading Habsfan18 's comment which gave greater concerns.

I guess in conclusion, how does HPs draft guide and McKeen's compare for their detail on later round players?

I basically did not consider any of the other options out there, like FCs, and that is only because I could not find any preview anywhere for their product, which is too bad. If anyone knows where I could see a preview/sample of their product that would be great! I'd like to see their format to see if it fits for what I'm looking for.

Oh, and obviously I haven't posted here before. I Have to start somewhere though right? haha
But any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(I wrote/formatted this the way I did in order to avoid making my long message a block of boring text. I apologize if my constant BOLDing became annoying! )

J0rdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:25 AM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

I know I'm a little biased but we try to be as detailed as possible for any player who is in their first year of eligibility, or are ineligible until one of the following two drafts.

For example the players I've written the profiles for who I do not expect to get drafted are still a quarter to half a page long, depending on how many games they played. If they were a healthy scratch in several games they may not be at the high end of that.

Also the draft guide is limited in length to one page max with player info, stats, picture. Black book profiles are potentially longer depending on the player.

If you want more insight on all the guides available you can check last year's draft guide thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1080991

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

J0rdan -

My comments weren't intended to take anything away from the Hockey Prospect products. I was just stating that in my opinion - if it had to come down to 1 guide that I would recommend - it would be McKeen's. That's personal preference, and if anyone cares for my recommendation/opinion (which I doubt! ) that's the 1 I would go for.

But for me, I plan on buying both McKeen's and Hockey Prospect. As for HP, I'll likely just stick with the Draft Guide again, rather than the Black Book. I buy the guides for the scouting profiles, as the game reports (although a neat add for those who would be interested) and some added profiles on late rounders don't interest me enough personally to warrant paying double the price. I can see why some would want to go with the Black Book though. Again, my hope is that they don't place too much focus and attention on the black book in a scenario where the draft guide suffers.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 02:25 AM
gosensgo14
Rookie User

believe it is a toss up between Jones, Drouin and Mackinnon! all based on team needs. Cant go wrong with all 3, but specially Jones. 6'4 dman who has the mobility of players who are 5'9

gosensgo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Sorry for the delay on this reply, got back from Sochi late Wednesday and have been catching up on things since.

The easy answer is that the 2013 Draft guide will at least resemble last years. you don't need to worry bout it being scaled down from last years product.

FYI, The Black Book will be much bigger. I can't post page count because it's still being written. I EXPECT at least 360 game reports plus as many profiles as last year. That would probably push the 600 page mark. We might need to edit the print version if that is the case to limit the page count. I will try to keep regular updates on where we are at. The PDF version will be as many pages as it takes.

Quote:
Hey Mark. Have you decided on a page count and price for the print version yet? I imagine the Draft Guide will follow the same format as the past 2 years?

I just hope not all the focus is going on the black book, as the draft guide is a cheaper option especially for those who are planning on buying numerous guides. I hope the prospect reports in that book continue to be as in depth as with the past 2 years, but I did notice that the 2012 book wasn't as big (page count - Around 50 pages less) as the 2011 one, and had less prospect reports in total. For instance, 2011 had over 100 full page reports, whereas 2012 had just over 80. I understand the Black Book is likely a big seller, but I hope it doesn't take much away from the Draft Guide. I just don't want to see a situation where the page count and number of reports gets smaller each year.

Thanks.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Dr Quincy

Do any of the guides include an update on how last year's draftees are doing?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
We've fielded many questions about what our guide looks like and the content in it from potential first-time subscribers. We've put together a brief snippet of last year's guide just so people can get a feel for what we bring.

You can download it here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/wp-co...de-Preview.pdf

New this season, we'll also be offering a text-only PDF for those that don't want to spend the ink on printing our graphic-heavy guide.

Link to the full page on this one which also features what is going into the 2013 NHL Draft Guide is here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/2013-...iew-available/

Old
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
J0rdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
We've fielded many questions about what our guide looks like and the content in it from potential first-time subscribers. We've put together a brief snippet of last year's guide just so people can get a feel for what we bring.

You can download it here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/wp-co...de-Preview.pdf

New this season, we'll also be offering a text-only PDF for those that don't want to spend the ink on printing our graphic-heavy guide.

Link to the full page on this one which also features what is going into the 2013 NHL Draft Guide is here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/2013-...iew-available/
Exactly what I was hoping to see from you guys with the preview! Thanks so much!

J0rdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
jer33

Is there a similar thread with the best free draft lists / reasources?

jer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Do any of the guides include an update on how last year's draftees are doing?
I would definitely be more willing to buy one of these if it included a feature which updated in depth how prospects from the draft two years before and if possible the year before are doing.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:29 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Thus far I've had trouble with McKeens. I paid for the guide ahead of time about a month ago and have been waiting. It's now may and I can't even log into the site with my email anymore and I haven't received any email notifications from them at all. Planning to email them soon and see what's up but so far it's a bit frustrating considering I have already paid for the guide.

Edit: it's been dealt with and everything is all good now. Good customer service.

Last edited by PETRYDISH: 05-09-2013 at 11:37 AM.
PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:28 PM
mckeenshockey

Hi,

We are publishing the 2013 NHL Draft Guide on May 22nd. However, we have a lot of scouting profiles and features on the website now you can access. If you are having trouble accessing the site please contact us at info@mckeenshockey.com and we will help you out. Sorry for any inconvenience.

It is our first draft season in our new online home, and we are very pleased with how it has turned out. Thanks for your support.

mckeenshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 06:35 PM
scott99

I usually get ISS and HP. I really am impressed by HP, this year will be my third year getting their guide. They were the ONLY guide who had Griffin Reinhart in their top 5, in fact, they rated him 4th overall, exactly where he was chosen. Kudos HP !!

May I add, I've also purchased FC the last 2 years too, and I've enjoyed it as well. HP being my favorite, followed by ISS, then FC.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
bluetooth

when will HP be available and also the 15% off coupon code?

bluetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
when will HP be available and also the 15% off coupon code?
Things are progressing well but I don't think we will hit our internal May 15th target date. I will continue to update in this thread with release news.

My best guess would be a few days after the 15th. I hate giving dates because it's difficult to project, it's a large project to put together in a short time. We are doing are best and while we want the books released, we don't want to rush them t the expense of quality either.

The NHL Draft Guide will be released a few days later than the Black Book. Photos are the major reason for it taking slightly longer.

Coupon code will be posted in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the interest and kind words.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:44 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

I've really liked McKeen's in the past but I am really bummed they dropped their print version. I might go HP this year so I can get a print. Printing the pdf on 8 1/2 by 11 and then putting it in a folder just isn't the same.

what's this I hear about a coupon code

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote