HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 46: St. Louis vs. Colorado "Is this St. Louis?"

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 500
Perron is way to slow to play center if that is what people are suggesting.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
This team is just not giving me good vibes at all heading into the post-season. What contender is having to juggle the line-up with 3 games left in the season, to get players motivated or playing on the same page or 'buying-in' or whatever you want to call it?

I'm afraid the Blues are getting poised for a disappointing first round exit. There will be lots of finger-pointing and soul-searching, etc. I really hope that I'm wrong, but I don't sense any impending magic from this team. And its frustrating because I think the ingredients are there to do it. (Yeah, a #1C would be great, but no team is perfect. There are always going to be areas you'd like to upgrade.)

That said, I expect them to win tonight. I'll keep pulling for the Blues, but my expectations are pretty tame right now.
Pretty much agree. I will say this, playoff magic is magic because it does come out of nowhere. I do like their chances against the Canucks, and starting out on the road in the playoffs is probably good for this team who plays well on the road. That aside, I agree we're all gonna be pretty surly in a couple weeks.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Jani Hakanpaa recalled. Man I'd love to see him in a game. Been very impressive with Peoria.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Spektre

I don't care what SJ does. The Blues just have to win. Get to the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:21 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

There's no way they're missing the playoffs. It's all about what the matchup is. If they play LA I'm going to wind up bumping a lot of posts after that series ends in 4 or 5.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Darren Pang on the Blues Gameday Preview with JK, Kerber, and Chase just said that it looks like Jaro is going to start Thursday in Calgary.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:30 PM
GrandPapillon

Few different ways to look at Perron on the 4th line.

1. He was brutal in the Avs game and is getting a message. When he was taking stupid penalties and making boneheaded plays but scoring at a 60 goal pace, I defended him. When he wasn't scoring but had greatly reduced his boneheaded mistakes and improved his all around game, I defended him. When he isn't scoring and is making mistakes that cost out the team, it is tough to defend. If this is a wake-up call demotion, it it earned.

2. Hitchcock knows he is pressing and wants to get him back his scoring confidence. It may seem backwards that going to a 4th line would help Perron, but considering that he will probably be matched up against Colorado's 4th liners, he may get some opportunities. Reaves and Cracknell will have no problem opening up space for him or cycling the puck with him either.

3. Last game was the straw that broke the camel's back after a roller coaster year, and that playing on the 4th line may not be a temporary thing. He really may be on his way out of town this offseason and may be in the doghouse

Old
04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
One thing about Perron, dating back from Murray's days until now...he always speaks like a true professional about potentially inflammatory situations.

About Joe Thornton's hit. About Murray's healthy scratching him. About getting demoted. And with Perron, I get the sense he believe what he says. He seems to have a clear distinction about what he controls and what he doesn't control.

I hope he tears it up tonight.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:47 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
What an accomplishment that would be.....
Ha.

While true, Perron is one of the few who has the potential to make Berglund re-appear.

Despite his frustrating season, Hitchcock always gives Perron a longer leash because I think he genuinely respects his compete level and passion.

Unfortunately, when he's at his worst, and struggling to score, he doesn't know how to harness those normally positive attributes. And that's when he starts playing individualistic and not making simple plays.

While Berglund just disappears, when Perron is bad his mistakes are way more noticeable

Old
04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
The Note
Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Darren Pang on the Blues Gameday Preview with JK, Kerber, and Chase just said that it looks like Jaro is going to start Thursday in Calgary.
Really? That is interesting, I figured he was done for sure. Would you play him in the Playoffs right now? Idk that I would with how Elliott is playing.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

From today's Morning Skate:

HAKANPAA CALLED UP

The Blues announced the call up of defenseman Jani Hakanpaa from Peoria this morning. Click here is the blog written by my colleague Dan O'Neill with more details on Hakanpaa.

After playing 14 games in Peoria, Hakanpaa wrapped up his season last weekend and was planning to head home to Finland. But then he got the word from Tim Taylor, the Blues director of player development, that he was headed to St. Louis.

"I was stunned," Hakanpaa said. "Like no words. It felt unreal at first. It took a while before I really understood what happened. On the way here, I understood, 'Hey, I'm really coming here.'"

Hakanpaa is expected to play with the Blues, but when the playoffs begin, you never know how things play out with injuries. The club already has Kris Russell and Ian Cole ready to go ahead of him. But in the meantime, Hakanpaa will be on the practice ice.

"I'm enjoying it," he said. "Just trying to soak in everything, learn from the guys and use that to my advantage next year."

Old
04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Really? That is interesting, I figured he was done for sure. Would you play him in the Playoffs right now? Idk that I would with how Elliott is playing.
I'd personally give him the Flames game and see how he does. If he has a great game, I'd consider giving him the Hawks game to see how he does. If he's GREAT in both of those games, I'd consider giving him the first start in the playoffs. Anything less, and I'm riding Elliott until he has a bad start.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
From today's Morning Skate:

HAKANPAA CALLED UP

The Blues announced the call up of defenseman Jani Hakanpaa from Peoria this morning. Click here is the blog written by my colleague Dan O'Neill with more details on Hakanpaa.

After playing 14 games in Peoria, Hakanpaa wrapped up his season last weekend and was planning to head home to Finland. But then he got the word from Tim Taylor, the Blues director of player development, that he was headed to St. Louis.

"I was stunned," Hakanpaa said. "Like no words. It felt unreal at first. It took a while before I really understood what happened. On the way here, I understood, 'Hey, I'm really coming here.'"

Hakanpaa is expected to play with the Blues, but when the playoffs begin, you never know how things play out with injuries. The club already has Kris Russell and Ian Cole ready to go ahead of him. But in the meantime, Hakanpaa will be on the practice ice.

"I'm enjoying it," he said. "Just trying to soak in everything, learn from the guys and use that to my advantage next year."
That's a typo in the blog, right? Is he really expected to play?

Old
04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
If we get locked into the 6th spot, I could see Hakanpaa getting a game in to see what he has.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
One thing about Perron, dating back from Murray's days until now...he always speaks like a true professional about potentially inflammatory situations.

About Joe Thornton's hit. About Murray's healthy scratching him. About getting demoted. And with Perron, I get the sense he believe what he says. He seems to have a clear distinction about what he controls and what he doesn't control.

I hope he tears it up tonight.
That's debatable. He has matured, but during the Andy Murray days he was not mature at all. I recall reading articles about how his body language and attitude in practice rubbed veterans like Tkachuk the wrong way.

Perron deserves this demotion because he was absolutely awful last game. But he'll probably be moved up the lineup by the middle of the first period. If he's put on Berglund's line though, I'm not sure if that would be a promotion or a demotion.

I wish the media would ask Hitch about resting players, because he clearly isn't doing it.

Whatever. Not even going to worry about this team anymore. I'm in the same boat as many of you. Just going to let them do their thing and if/when they get knocked out early I won't be surprised.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
I could see Leo or Jax sitting for one of the last 2 games if we clinch tonight and letting some of our other players play.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

vCash: 788
Two fan bases are rooting for the Blues. A regulation win, just keep the score close please.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Whatever helps put us in a 1st round matchup with Vancouver or San Jose, I'm for it!!!

I think I'm rooting for the Blues and Sharks to go to 2-1 over the next 3. I'd also take 3-0 from both, though. I'm pretty sure we shouldn't do better than San Jose to end the year.

Whatever...NO LOS ANGELES!

Old
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
ManyIdeas

3 point night for frank.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Two fan bases are rooting for the Blues. A regulation win, just keep the score close please.
ha! keep calm, if we win chances are high the score is not a 7:1 or a 5:0

Old
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
taylord22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Perron is way to slow to play center if that is what people are suggesting.
He's actually one of the fastest players in pre-season sprints/workouts...with and without the puck. He's just so stop/starty, left/right in actual games. If he could learn to use speed/motion the way that Oshie does with the puck, he would increase his production drastically, IMO.

Edit: Also, no reason to put Perron next to Berglund, IMO...once Oshie's back I'd bet Hitch uses him to try and jumpstart Berglund (if the Backes line is still stabilized with Schwartz). I've been waiting to see Oshie with 91 all year...

Old
04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
The Avs fanbase and which other one?

Old
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:

The real blog says "not". He is not expected to play.

Must have gotten switched when copied over.

And calling Hakanpaa up means 1 thing..HE GETS HOCKEY CARDS NEXT YEAR!!! The NHLPA has a stupid rule to only have cards made of players that are either called up or play in at least 1 NHL game in terms of rookies.

Last edited by Daley Tarasenkshow: 04-23-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 03:55 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
The real blog says "not". He is not expected to play.

Must have gotten switched when copied over.
I just copied and pasted, so they must've fixed the error later. Also "Check here is the blog" was in the original.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I just copied and pasted, so they must've fixed the error later. Also "Check here is the blog" was in the original.
Yeah, it is the original wording. I asked JR about it on Twitter and he changed it.

Closed Thread