HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Caught the first 2 periods.

Canada looked unbelievable. Nastasiuk has to be on our radar. Morin also looked like a force. Heck, the whole team was good.

Burakowsky showed star like qualities handling the puck, he was breathtaking at times, but I felt there was something missing. Most of his rushes turned into nothing despite how fun they were to watch. Lack of hockey sense? Canada knowing how to play him? He succeeded once, with about a minute left in the 2nd, and it was spectacular. But I dunno...not sure this guy is going to make it. Would need to see him again.

DLR looks like a 3rd liner to me. Great compete level and willingness to head to the front of the net. But I don't see top 6 offensive upside.

Hagg was getting schooled by McJesus most of the time.
Well I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. I've watched Hagg, Burakovsky and DLR during their regular seasons and was really hoping that they'd show up to play against their international peers. Burakovsky has been trying to find his offensive groove this season and even last. Like you say, he's got the tools and the moves and the rushes to look like a stand out but rarely puts it all together. Had high hopes for the Swedes when it looked like we'd be picking really late in the 1st. I guess we can always use one of our seconds.

For everyone and Marc:
Is Morin worth a 1st? Did Gauthier stand out at all? Dauphin impact player or complimentary player?

Old
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I want Connor McDavid with a Habs jersey. Granted exceptional status in the NHL. 2014 1st overall pick please.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:54 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
1st round? I'd be pretty pissed, especially when there will be bigger and better defencemen available. Of the same style, Bowey and Theodore come to mind. Both are better at this point.

You don't just reach for a guy because you like his brother.
When analysing players and their potential, scouts inform themselves of the family of said players. If you consider that as a factor (and all scouts do), you look at the Subban family. All three will be in the NHL soon enough, the father is a tough but smart man, a former athlete, very community driven (basically a team player). Combine these factors with high potential, and skills, it makes for a high end prospect don't you think? obviously, if Jordan was an average player in the OHL, I wouldn't think the same way. But he's a great OHL player, who's two brothers are/will be in the NHL with big expectations. Jordan also has to deal with comparisons with PK all the time, as well as live with the pressure of living up to family standards set by fans and media, as well as hockey people, with which he deals with remarkably.

that being said, 1st round is very high, and we have some nice 2nd round picks with which we can pick him up. I'm just saying I wouldn't complain if they feel that he won't be available past the 1st round and chose him with their pick.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Fozz

What's the matter with the great Nichushkin at the U18? Doesn't seem to be doing much of anything and should be dominating.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
For everyone and Marc:
Is Morin worth a 1st? Did Gauthier stand out at all? Dauphin impact player or complimentary player?
Morin is definitely a 1st round caliber prospect.

Gauthier stood out due to his size. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. There was one situation in the first period where instead of just driving the net with a CLEAR opening, he curled off and went into the corner with the puck, which drove me nuts.

Dauphin in this game was was more of a complimentary guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
What's the matter with the great Nichushkin at the U18? Doesn't seem to be doing much of anything and should be dominating.
Glad to know I'm not the only Nichushkin doubter. 2 assist in 3 games (against the likes of the Czechs and Latvians) so far is horrible for a highly touted offensive prospect in this tourney in his draft year. The hype around this guy is just insane, some people comparing him to Malkin/Ovechkin in terms of impact. My god.

Some dude on the prospects board was arguing he has 50 goals-50 assists potential yesterday.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I watched a couple of the Russian games and imo, Nichuskin looked decent enough (as long as you don't compare him to McDavid).

I've never seen him as a Top 5 pick, especially when you consider in the Russian factor, but when you compare him against players like Monahan, Shinkaruk or Lindholm he doesn't fare too bad. We could certainly use a player like him as much as anyone in the draft, even if his numbers end up being similar to what Pacioretty is getting.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Rikiki Bousquet

Morin was pretty good. Such a good skater for a guy his size and has the vision to make good passes. Defensively, he was doing ok, but he has to work on it in order to perform in higher levels.

If I may compare him to another Habs prospect, he makes me think of Bealieu : great skating, moderate defensive skills, but with bigger size and less offense.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Morin is definitely a 1st round caliber prospect.

Gauthier stood out due to his size. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. There was one situation in the first period where instead of just driving the net with a CLEAR opening, he curled off and went into the corner with the puck, which drove me nuts.

Dauphin in this game was was more of a complimentary guy.

Glad to know I'm not the only Nichushkin doubter. 2 assist in 3 games (against the likes of the Czechs and Latvians) so far is horrible for a highly touted offensive prospect in this tourney in his draft year. The hype around this guy is just insane, some people comparing him to Malkin/Ovechkin in terms of impact. My god.

Some dude on the prospects board was arguing he has 50 goals-50 assists potential yesterday.
How did Lazar play? Doubt he stood out what I hate about these tourny you can't judge heart, work ethic and will to win.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Huffman

Take a look at Burakowsky's goal around 1 minute in:

http://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/embe...3-12f08f6d2d3b

Also, 1st and 3rd goal in this video:

Last edited by Huffman: 04-23-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Well I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. I've watched Hagg, Burakovsky and DLR during their regular seasons and was really hoping that they'd show up to play against their international peers. Burakovsky has been trying to find his offensive groove this season and even last. Like you say, he's got the tools and the moves and the rushes to look like a stand out but rarely puts it all together. Had high hopes for the Swedes when it looked like we'd be picking really late in the 1st. I guess we can always use one of our seconds.

For everyone and Marc:
Can't say that I say I disagree about Burakowsky. He's skilled, but I question his hockey sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
How did Lazar play? Doubt he stood out what I hate about these tourny you can't judge heart, work ethic and will to win.
Lazar is still in the WHL, playing in the semifinals with his junior team, the Edmonton Oil Kings.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Et le But

Nichushkin is not top 6 for me but after that, his risks are worth the reward. He was fantastic in the KHL playoffs and while there's always the threat that won't translate to the NHL game, it's a risk you got to take at some point. But there are times when he doen't seem to know how to put it all together.

As much as De La Rose has questionable upside, he does have upside, and the way he's able to physically match the Canadians is nice to see. I think he has second line upside and at the very least is a safe complimentary piece.

I don't think you should judge players entirely based on U-18 tournaments since some have a lot more to prove than others, and a lot of the older guys who have already played against adults might not be as focused.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I just hope MB doesn't fall into the HF Boards trap of obsessing over size. Unless there is a big skill player as BPA, I'll gladly take a kid like Petan. You can find size later in the draft or by trade. Don't pass on Claude Giroux for the next Victor Stalberg.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He was also the most skilled forward outside of Vanek in this draft year.
He was poorly handled and developed.
I'm not sure how he was mishandled. He was brought over early and got a lot of time in the AHL. He just didn't add up to be as good an NHLer as his skills suggested he could be. Tools but no toolbox or whatever similar cliche to convey a lack of hockey sense.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:59 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
This year's Entry Draft will bring the Habs system eight players,the first six with a good chance of becoming a Hab. The Habs should be trying to make deals for some first round picks IMO and finish the rebuild. Getting a couple of CBJ's 1st's, say the 15th & 16th picks overall, in return the Habs can give them a choice. A roster player,prospects at various stages of development or draft picks from next season. I'm sure a deal can be struck that would give the Habs 3 first round and 3 more in the 2nd with 2 third round picks.
After amassing all those draft choices and having the best team of scouts (M.Bergevin, R.Dudley & T.Timmins) leading them. The 2012 & 2013 Entry Drafts may go down as Top Five ever and the stepping stones to a new Hab Dynasty.(might be getting ahead of myself a bit)
The only things to do after the draft,would be signing UFA's a lot easier than UFO's.Clarkson served reminders of why we need him and Ryan Clowe in last night's fiasco. This year all the stars are aligned, all the type's of draftee's and the UFA's that the Habs need are waiting for the call.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I just hope MB doesn't fall into the HF Boards trap of obsessing over size. Unless there is a big skill player as BPA, I'll gladly take a kid like Petan. You can find size later in the draft or by trade. Don't pass on Claude Giroux for the next Victor Stalberg.
Is Petan a product of playing with Rattie and Leipsic in an offensive system though? Plenty of the Saint John Sea Dogs are struggling mightily after going pro.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:03 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Is Petan a product of playing with Rattie and Leipsic in an offensive system though? Plenty of the Saint John Sea Dogs are struggling mightily after going pro.
Petan showed the most skill in TPG.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
This year's Entry Draft will bring the Habs system eight players,the first six with a good chance of becoming a Hab. The Habs should be trying to make deals for some first round picks IMO and finish the rebuild. Getting a couple of CBJ's 1st's, say the 15th & 16th picks overall, in return the Habs can give them a choice. A roster player,prospects at various stages of development or draft picks from next season. I'm sure a deal can be struck that would give the Habs 3 first round and 3 more in the 2nd with 2 third round picks.
After amassing all those draft choices and having the best team of scouts (M.Bergevin, R.Dudley & T.Timmins) leading them. The 2012 & 2013 Entry Drafts may go down as Top Five ever and the stepping stones to a new Hab Dynasty.(might be getting ahead of myself a bit)
The only things to do after the draft,would be signing UFA's a lot easier than UFO's.Clarkson served reminders of why we need him and Ryan Clowe in last night's fiasco. This year all the stars are aligned, all the type's of draftee's and the UFA's that the Habs need are waiting for the call.
I fully support getting a couple more 1st round picks in this draft. Like you say, we can finish the rebuild and start developing a new/additional core. I'm not sure which roster players you'd be looking to move as most of our roster players are either worth way more than a 1st or a little less. This will be a big draft for the Canadiens if players fall the right way. If we were able to move Desharnais for a mid-late 1st and potentially even Markov for the same, I suppose it's possible. But then it begs the question, would we rather move way up and draft one impact player or stay where we are and hope for one but likely get several 3rd liners? If we had picks #15, #16, #22, #33, #34, #52... what a draft.

Just for fun:

#15-Frederik Gauthier
#16-Alexander Wennberg
#22-Samuel Morin
#33-Andre Burakovsky/Nic Petan
#34-William Carrier/Jacob De La Rose
#52-Jordan Subban/Emile Poirier

Old
04-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Top Corner2

Wow Morin has made huge strides this year.

I think he must be moving up the list.

On the other hand I still haven't seen what all the fuss is about with Gauthier....he is huge though...I will reserve judgement until I watch him a few more times.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Take a look at Burakowsky's goal around 1 minute in:

Also, 1st and 3rd goal in this video:

Some nice hands and really shows he knows how to finish.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:03 AM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikiki Bousquet View Post
Morin was pretty good. Such a good skater for a guy his size and has the vision to make good passes. Defensively, he was doing ok, but he has to work on it in order to perform in higher levels.

If I may compare him to another Habs prospect, he makes me think of Bealieu : great skating, moderate defensive skills, but with bigger size and less offense.
What? Morin plays nothing like Beaulieu

Old
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Rikiki Bousquet

Never said he played like Beaulieu. I said that, if I was forced to compare him only to prospects from the habs, I'd say his above average skating ability and his limited defensive skills make me think of him. On the other side, I also said, while I still think he has a pretty good vision and makes good passes, he has not the offensive talent that Beaulieu has. Other comparison with other players will surely be more accurate, but I thought that, while some compare Morin to Tinordi since they are both tall and skate well for their size, it was interesting not to compare him to another player who is just a big guy that can skate but has only a defensive role, but to a player that can contribute offensively. I don't imply he'll be an offensive guy, but I don't think he'll be completely incapable to do it with a proper development and a good team. All and all, I only meant to open eyes and force some of the posters that didn't watch him play see more than a big guy in their scouting : don't stop at the obvious.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Dada

2 months left before DA day

Duclair with one of our second?

Old
04-24-2013, 08:59 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
2 months left before DA day

Duclair with one of our second?
Absolutely not. Maybe with one of our thirds.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Mercury10

This is interesting and I'm sure most of you have seen it. http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/20...t-and-age.html
Its the avg height, weight of all the NHL teams. No surprise that the Habs are the smallest team but the 2nd smallest team is Chicago. The biggest teams are Wpg, Sj, Was and Ott.
I agree the Habs need a little more size but I don't think it is that important and not our top priority at this draft.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikiki Bousquet View Post
Never said he played like Beaulieu. I said that, if I was forced to compare him only to prospects from the habs, I'd say his above average skating ability and his limited defensive skills make me think of him. On the other side, I also said, while I still think he has a pretty good vision and makes good passes, he has not the offensive talent that Beaulieu has. Other comparison with other players will surely be more accurate, but I thought that, while some compare Morin to Tinordi since they are both tall and skate well for their size, it was interesting not to compare him to another player who is just a big guy that can skate but has only a defensive role, but to a player that can contribute offensively. I don't imply he'll be an offensive guy, but I don't think he'll be completely incapable to do it with a proper development and a good team. All and all, I only meant to open eyes and force some of the posters that didn't watch him play see more than a big guy in their scouting : don't stop at the obvious.
Morin reminds me of Tinordi...similar size, mobility, mean streak.

Closed Thread