HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
David Staples is talking negatively today.
I have a hard time blaming someone that from day one publicly said she wouldn't give anything.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Billybaroo*

vCash: 500
I think its kinda ironic that Katz moving the goalposts every couple of months in a neverending effort to extort even more millions & concessions out of the City, which all caused massive delays, may cost him in the end.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
I'm starting to get so apathetic about this organization.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I have a hard time blaming someone that from day one publicly said she wouldn't give anything.
Agreed.

Since day one, Redford has said "I will not fund your hockey arena." Now people want to get hissy and snappy at her?

Old
04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm not sure what to believe regarding the arena. Staples is the only one doomsaying on Twitter... and I don't think that he has legitimate inside sources. He's attacking Redford so maybe it's political bias on his part.

Every other conversation about the arena today is about the fate of the Gretzky statue.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 04-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

It's likely not the arena. It's the infrastructure that the funding is going towards.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
I think its kinda ironic that Katz moving the goalposts every couple of months in a neverending effort to extort even more millions & concessions out of the City, which all caused massive delays, may cost him in the end.
whens the next civic election? is it possible with council turnover the city's new position would be "build it yourself"?

Old
04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Silver

Quote:
Blame Mandel. He's been saying the whole time that's he got the funding.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:14 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Agreed.

Since day one, Redford has said "I will not fund your hockey arena." Now people want to get hissy and snappy at her?
Can't blame her, surprised her opposition's stance on the idea. A lottery or Keno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Yup and Katz

Old
04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
whens the next civic election? is it possible with council turnover the city's new position would be "build it yourself"?
Yes, it's possible. That's all I should say, or this may turn into a political thread.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Theres a real risk with that. Thats why I was surprised the Katz/Stauffer/Tencer cabal had never heard of the phrase "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

Old
04-23-2013, 06:36 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Yup and Katz
Everyone here knows you have an unabashed hate of Katz, but he hasn't been the one in city counsel chambers telling the citizens of Edmonton that provincial money is magically appearing over the next two decades. That's been Mandel and Co.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Worst part is, it's not going to cost Katz anything really in the end. He'll either sell the team locally for a solid profit and walk away, or the absolute worst case, is that they will be the Seattle Oilers in a couple of years.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
No there's too much money involved. A completely different city counsel will still vote for a new arena.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
No there's too much money involved. A completely different city counsel will still vote for a new arena.
No they won't. This election will be all about the arena and the city's debt load (one of the highest per capita in North America); believe it or not, a vast majority of citizen's don't think the arena is a good idea.

As for myself, I think we desperately need a new arena, but not at any price. The deal will have to be far more palatable for 'arena friendly' councilors to get elected.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
David Staples is talking negatively today.
Staples is a complete and utter idiot. 2/3's of Edmontonians DON't want provincial funding of an arena. This voiced through multiple polls and as recently as this week.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Yep, and if I can mention here that the method in which they are planning on using MSI for this is not only an inappropriate use of that fund but its also guilty of just servicing debt rather than being any upfront money. The City is paying for this whole arena and zero of it upfront.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Worst part is, it's not going to cost Katz anything really in the end. He'll either sell the team locally for a solid profit and walk away, or the absolute worst case, is that they will be the Seattle Oilers in a couple of years.
Zero chance team moves. None. In any other market in the world this inept franchise would be drawing flies.,.Despite the efforts of Tencer and Stauffer (who both have zero credibility) to suggest the NHL would allow it, there is no way it could. None

Old
04-23-2013, 07:52 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Staples is a complete and utter idiot. 2/3's of Edmontonians DON't want provincial funding of an arena. This voiced through multiple polls and as recently as this week.
2/3rds of Edmontonians don't want provincial funding of a lot of things that don't benefit everyone - basically any kind of entertainment. We have no reservations spending millions of dollars on cultural improvements that impact a tiny percentage of the populace yet can't spend money that benefits 100x more people.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Zero chance team moves. None. In any other market in the world this inept franchise would be drawing flies.,.Despite the efforts of Tencer and Stauffer (who both have zero credibility) to suggest the NHL would allow it, there is no way it could. None
If Seattle wants a team, and Katz wants to move there, I guarantee the NHL will allow it. And yeah, put Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yak in any other market and they will sell tickets. The NHL and city can't force Katz to build an arena with his own money

Old
04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Well, they're going to be drawing flies for the rest of this season. People are practically giving tickets away for tomorrow's game. If they're not successful then we'll probably see a lot of empty seats tomorrow night.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
2/3rds of Edmontonians don't want provincial funding of a lot of things that don't benefit everyone - basically any kind of entertainment. We have no reservations spending millions of dollars on cultural improvements that impact a tiny percentage of the populace yet can't spend money that benefits 100x more people.
100X more people? How should anybody take a comment like that seriously?

If anything big ticket entertainment is a fairly exclusive activity. I wonder what proportion of the population regularly goes to a bigticket arena.

Add any economic downturn to the equation and the first thing to go is people spending huge amounts on entertainment.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out which multimillionaire/billionaire that Edmonton hasn't run out of town yet that would buy the Oilers.

Can't think of a single one.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
100X more people? How should anybody take a comment like that seriously?

If anything big ticket entertainment is a fairly exclusive activity. I wonder what proportion of the population regularly goes to a bigticket arena.

Add any economic downturn to the equation and the first thing to go is people spending huge amounts on entertainment.
Wrong. Historically, during economic depression and recession people end up spending more on entertainment and escapism.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If Seattle wants a team, and Katz wants to move there, I guarantee the NHL will allow it. And yeah, put Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yak in any other market and they will sell tickets. The NHL and city can't force Katz to build an arena with his own money
Why would the NHL WANT to move out of a market that loyally supports the chronic worst team in the league and that pays among the highest gates in the league to see its worst product.

Any sensible league would be wetting itself over what dreck this fanbase will line up to support.

A team might end up in Seattle. For that team to be the oilers makes zero sense for the NHL.

If I could add this is Edmonton, It would be unwise to say the least for the league to leave Edmonton and in bad terms (which would certainly be the case)
When Edmonton formerly didn't have an NHL club it, and other canadian cities and representatives were front center in devising/starting a competing league. I would imagine the same thing would happen again, possibly this time with the new league being an actual "world" league. I would line up for tickets to that league and forget about the NHL in a heartbeat.

Closed Thread