HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Zack Smith vs Robert Bortuzzo April 22 2013

View Poll Results: Fight Winner???
Smith 20 71.43%
Bortuzzo 2 7.14%
Draw 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 02:26 PM
  #26
h2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Everyone knew that this situation would happen. Matt Cooke declines Chris Neil, and Chris Neil declines Steve MacIntyre.

Steve MacIntyre should have forced Chris Neil in a fight. He should have dropped his gloves, and if Chris Neil declines, then throw a punch at his jaw (hopefully it results in a knock-out).

Steve MacIntyre is a scary enforcer, he has knock-out power in both of his hands (he is a switched hand fighter).
Pretty sure that's suspendable..

h2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:34 PM
  #27
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
Pretty sure that's suspendable..
Probably, but it would be worth it.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
  #28
h2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Come on Ottawa fans, Neil is not a middle weight he is a light heavy who can fight heavy, in a lot of threads before (specially leaf fighters threads) leaf fans usually bring up the argument Neil is a ***** who runs around chirping and picks fights he knows he can win and then dodges the true enforcers, and then Ottawa fans usually respond by saying Neil will fight anyone look at his past history (then they name a bunch of enforcers and usually say look he beat Orr this year, which is true and props to him). But this video kind of sums up what the leaf fans argument is, Neil goes after Orpik (someone who never fights) then shy's away from McIntyre a true enforcer. I don't like Neil, mostly because i am a leaf fan but if i was an Ottawa fan i would probably love him so i can see why you guys defend him, hes a good hockey player and a really good fighter but he probably should have fought McIntyre here because 1) he was running around all game chirping and doing what he does and then he got challenged, and 2) his team was down 2-0 in a critical game that they needed to win, mabye that fight could have sparked his team in front of the home crowd and they come out in the Second period flying.
I can see the arguments both ways in regards to Neil's fight class, in reality he's probably somewhere between a middle and heavy. What you say is mostly true but doesn't mention the fact that Orpik was also running around all game with extra slashs and Neil was simply calling him out. Nothing wrong here. Present day Chris Neil reminds me of the latter stages of Tie Domi's career, both begun turning down fights more often towards the end of their careers, and I think they've earned that right. It's not for a lack of bravery or a cause of fear (Every fan base uses that excuse for rival fighters, it's just annoying and dumb), I think it's just age and also strategic, both knew when to drop and not to drop the gloves.

As for MacIntyre, when he's in the NHL he's the #1 fighter in the league. Neil could possibly force a draw vs Mac if he's fortunate and get a few shots in because he's one of the most intelligent fighters in the league, with a solid chin as well. As for this game, I don't think MacIntyre challenged Neil, it was more of a warning to settle down than an actual challenge. Mac had a chance to just initiate a fight when Orpik/Neil were tangled and he just separated the two. It was more of a peacekeeping act. Which sucks for fight fans.

h2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  #29
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
I can see the arguments both ways in regards to Neil's fight class, in reality he's probably somewhere between a middle and heavy. What you say is mostly true but doesn't mention the fact that Orpik was also running around all game with extra slashs and Neil was simply calling him out. Nothing wrong here. Present day Chris Neil reminds me of the latter stages of Tie Domi's career, both begun turning down fights more often towards the end of their careers, and I think they've earned that right. It's not for a lack of bravery or a cause of fear (Every fan base uses that excuse for rival fighters, it's just annoying and dumb), I think it's just age and also strategic, both knew when to drop and not to drop the gloves.

As for MacIntyre, when he's in the NHL he's the #1 fighter in the league. Neil could possibly force a draw vs Mac if he's fortunate and get a few shots in because he's one of the most intelligent fighters in the league, with a solid chin as well. As for this game, I don't think MacIntyre challenged Neil, it was more of a warning to settle down than an actual challenge. Mac had a chance to just initiate a fight when Orpik/Neil were tangled and he just separated the two. It was more of a peacekeeping act. Which sucks for fight fans.
I do agree with most of your post, but i believe McIntyre most likely did a little bit more than break up two fighters due to the fact that he did get a 2 for roughing and a 10 minute misconduct. I'm sure he said something to get that extra 10 while Neil just got 2 for roughing, and hes in the lineup for a reason to protect his players and most likely wants to try and stay in the lineup (which we all know is impossible for him haha). Neil most likely said i want nothing to do with you leave me alone. Reality is no one really knows what was said but judging by the penalty summery, McIntyre's role in that game and Neils "picking his spots" mentality in my opinion Neil declined his offer. Because lets face it, if Orpik and Neil are tied up and someone other than McIntyre comes over and gives Neil a little face wash (which is what McIntyre did) Neils gloves are off and hes pounding away on that individual. But overall who really cares it was a good game, as painful as it is to say this I hope Ottawa still makes it because they showed a lot of heart this year losing all their stars and what not.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
  #30
h2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
I do agree with most of your post, but i believe McIntyre most likely did a little bit more than break up two fighters due to the fact that he did get a 2 for roughing and a 10 minute misconduct. I'm sure he said something to get that extra 10 while Neil just got 2 for roughing, and hes in the lineup for a reason to protect his players and most likely wants to try and stay in the lineup (which we all know is impossible for him haha). Neil most likely said i want nothing to do with you leave me alone. Reality is no one really knows what was said but judging by the penalty summery, McIntyre's role in that game and Neils "picking his spots" mentality in my opinion Neil declined his offer. Because lets face it, if Orpik and Neil are tied up and someone other than McIntyre comes over and gives Neil a little face wash (which is what McIntyre did) Neils gloves are off and hes pounding away on that individual. But overall who really cares it was a good game, as painful as it is to say this I hope Ottawa still makes it because they showed a lot of heart this year losing all their stars and what not.
What you say is pretty much true about speculation, ultimately we don't know what transpired on the ice. We can only judge based on body language.

h2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
  #31
Trognitz
Registered User
 
Trognitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 256
vCash: 298
Smith win and Orpik should fight once in awhile the way he plays.

"Neil could possibly force a draw vs Mac if he's fortunate and get a few shots in because he's one of the most intelligent fighters in the league, with a solid chin as well.''

very true

good technical fighter

Sens need a #1 fighter and use Neil for the #2s and pests


Last edited by Trognitz: 04-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
  #32
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators
 
Dysentery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,905
vCash: 50
I thought the poll was a troll or something, due to the fact that Smith hit him square in the face 4 times. Then I watched the YT in the OP and realized that the pittsburg feed missed half the fight, and had a bad shot of it once it panned to it.

The sportsnet feed shows Smith with a clear win....and its not close.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
  #33
Dosh Jonaldson
Bunch of Bangerz
 
Dosh Jonaldson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post

As for MacIntyre, when he's in the NHL he's the #1 fighter in the league. Neil could possibly force a draw vs Mac if he's fortunate and get a few shots in because he's one of the most intelligent fighters in the league, with a solid chin as well. As for this game, I don't think MacIntyre challenged Neil, it was more of a warning to settle down than an actual challenge. Mac had a chance to just initiate a fight when Orpik/Neil were tangled and he just separated the two. It was more of a peacekeeping act. Which sucks for fight fans.
Intelligent = boring to be honest lol

Dosh Jonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:48 PM
  #34
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
McManked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: EDMONTON
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,515
vCash: 535
Neil's a ***** for not dropping the gloves with one of the biggest heavyweights in the NHL.



Really?

That's stupid.

McManked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
  #35
h2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Intelligent = boring to be honest lol
Not every fighter is a Colton Orr, that style has threatened his career before and will continue to threaten it. I'd rather Neil play intelligent so I can enjoy his character for many years.

Having said that, you got to give Orr props.

h2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
  #36
Dosh Jonaldson
Bunch of Bangerz
 
Dosh Jonaldson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Neil's a ***** for not dropping the gloves with one of the biggest heavyweights in the NHL.



Really?

That's stupid.
As much as cooke is a ***** for not dropping the gloves with neil

Dosh Jonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
  #37
h2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
As much as cooke is a ***** for not dropping the gloves with neil
It's not really comparable at all. Just to give you an idea, according to the tsn player pages: Matt Cooke is 5'11 205lbs, Chris Neil is 6'1 215lbs, Steve MacIntyre is 6'5 250lbs. One of these things is unlike the other. Neil has taken on giants before in Chara multiple times. You can't really make a statement like that at all given the histories of the respective players.

h2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
  #38
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53
 
Virtanen2Horvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,076
vCash: 589
Smith!

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:05 AM
  #39
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,339
vCash: 500
Win smith.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.