HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#46 Sharks vs Stars 7PM CSNCA TSN NBCSN KFOX "Prepare yourselves, awesomeness ahead"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
  #76
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
you really think tmac would get fired for playing tennyson over hannan?

i dont believe that for a minute. i think the GM is smart enough to know the difference. wallin, white, murray, now hannan. its a trend that i think needs to stop. it may be hyperbole, but i bet most cup winners had at least one rookie go way above and beyond, and it was cuz they got a chance of a lifetime.
Or they just don't want to go into the playoffs with two rookie defenseman in the line up. I know most people undervalue experience on hf but it is useful to have.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  #77
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,144
vCash: 500
I know it won't happen, but at this point I'd rather see Burns go back to D.

Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Kennedy-Thornton-Galiardi
Desjardins-Gomez-Burish

Stuart-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle

Defense wins championships and that D is exponentially better than the alternative, and Boyle and Irwin can have sheltered minutes. Considering LA holds the tiebreaker and is 2 pts ahead of us I don't see us getting home ice, and I don't care much between finishing 5th or 6th. No harm in giving it a try for the final two games here. Kennedy can play well with sheltered minutes too.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
  #78
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
I did not like at all what I saw from Hannan the other night. He was ok the first game, but not good his second game. That Stuart-Hannan pairing was awful.
That was more on Stuart than Hannan in my opinion.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
  #79
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
I know it won't happen, but at this point I'd rather see Burns go back to D.

Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Kennedy-Thornton-Galiardi
Desjardins-Gomez-Burish

Stuart-Burns
Vlasic-Braun
Irwin-Boyle

Defense wins championships and that D is exponentially better than the alternative, and Boyle and Irwin can have sheltered minutes. Considering LA holds the tiebreaker and is 2 pts ahead of us I don't see us getting home ice, and I don't care much between finishing 5th or 6th. No harm in giving it a try for the final two games here. Kennedy can play well with sheltered minutes too.
Sheppard is a better option than Kennedy.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
  #80
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Or they just don't want to go into the playoffs with two rookie defenseman in the line up. I know most people undervalue experience on hf but it is useful to have.
experience is overrated. it hasnt really gotten us anywhere in the past, and it wont get us anywhere now.

boyle/stuart/vlasic ton of real experience right there, and they back it up with their play. hannan is a plug...what does his experience bring that tennyson doesnt? besides knowing when to pinch better (which is only because he lost a step)

top six also has a lot of experience too...

i think we are good.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
  #81
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$
 
spintheblackcircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,467
vCash: 500
"demers out indefinitely", hmmm

__________________
Changes come. Keep your dignity. Take the high road. Take it like a man.
spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
  #82
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
experience is overrated. it hasnt really gotten us anywhere in the past, and it wont get us anywhere now.

boyle/stuart/vlasic ton of real experience right there, and they back it up with their play. hannan is a plug...what does his experience bring that tennyson doesnt? besides knowing when to pinch better (which is only because he lost a step)

top six also has a lot of experience too...

i think we are good.
Maybe but I still wouldn't run with Irwin and Tennyson in the same line up in the playoffs.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  #83
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
"demers out indefinitely", hmmm
Ankle sprain.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:47 PM
  #84
thrillermiller89
Registered User
 
thrillermiller89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Absolutely not.
I guess I just favor kennedy over desi because I see kennedy as a much faster player

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
  #85
thrillermiller89
Registered User
 
thrillermiller89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
How come we don't roll the "Vlasic-Stuart" pairing anymore?

I remember that pairing being so effective when we tore it up at the start of the year. Plus, Stuart plays better on the Right side as opposed to the Left (just like when he was paired with Lidstrom in DET). I think that's why Stuart thrives with Vlasic, because Vlasic (like Lidstrom) plays sound defensively (obviously Vlasic is no Lidstrom, but my point stands)

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  #86
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Maybe but I still wouldn't run with Irwin and Tennyson in the same line up in the playoffs.
i can understand the hesitation.

unfortunately for us. hannan=murray in his underlying numbers. his production wont justify us getting hemmed in our zone with him on the ice and we will most likely GOAT him before the end of round 1.

can we win with him? im sure, as long as he is away from stuart. boyle would be a good choice, but then you have irwin with stuart, and while we may direct a good amount of shots the opposing teams way, we will give up odd man rushes.

i just hope they dont ride a dead horse, if he turns out to be murray 2.0 with us.

even if i go back to 07-08 with colorado, after he was just traded from the sharks. he is still running negative numbers, while paired with good teammates.

i know i sound like i am arguing to exclude him altogether, but really i just want coaches to look at the facts if hes not posting good numbers. by all accounts demers is still green, as is braun, but they are fine out there and usually give our team a chance to win. we probably wont have demers for a bit, so the smallest step down would be tennyson, imo.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
  #87
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
How come we don't roll the "Vlasic-Stuart" pairing anymore?

I remember that pairing being so effective when we tore it up at the start of the year. Plus, Stuart plays better on the Right side as opposed to the Left (just like when he was paired with Lidstrom in DET). I think that's why Stuart thrives with Vlasic, because Vlasic (like Lidstrom) plays sound defensively (obviously Vlasic is no Lidstrom, but my point stands)
They were a train wreck in their own zone. Couldn't get the puck out.

This is what happened when they tried to get out:

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
  #88
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D
 
Frozen Fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kalamazoo
Country: United States
Posts: 4,724
vCash: 500
Sooo...


Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
  #89
BaileyMacTavish
I cast Magic Missile
 
BaileyMacTavish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via MSN to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via Skype™ to BaileyMacTavish
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuxtaposer View Post
kevin kurz ‏@kkurzcsn 1m
jason demers left the rink in a walking boot on his left foot. He's already been ruled out for the next two games. #sjsharks

great.
damn you minny!

BaileyMacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
  #90
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
I guess I just favor kennedy over desi because I see kennedy as a much faster player
Desjardins isn't slow at all though, and he fits the 4th line role better. Even though Kennedy sucks defensively, I could live with an argument of wanting him over Burish. Sheppard should be on the 4th line over those two though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fiend View Post
Sooo...


WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:05 PM
  #91
Mafoofoo
Jawesome
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 500
Friggin Demers man. What the hell.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
  #92
AnderFunk
Registered User
 
AnderFunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Stars 3 - Sharks 2

Benn (x2), Goligoski
Boyle, Galiardi

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
  #93
thrillermiller89
Registered User
 
thrillermiller89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Desjardins isn't slow at all though, and he fits the 4th line role better. Even though Kennedy sucks defensively, I could live with an argument of wanting him over Burish. Sheppard should be on the 4th line over those two though.
is shep in the doghouse? injured? because he would easily be a better option, as you've said.

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
  #94
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
is shep in the doghouse? injured? because he would easily be a better option, as you've said.
The only explanation is that Burish and Desi are decent penalty killers (sans last game). That lessens pk minutes for the big guys. I imagine if Burish has anymore pk shifts like the one last game he will be scratched.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
  #95
Episkey
Nitrox
 
Episkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 1010

Episkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:32 PM
  #96
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 63,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i can understand the hesitation.

unfortunately for us. hannan=murray in his underlying numbers. his production wont justify us getting hemmed in our zone with him on the ice and we will most likely GOAT him before the end of round 1.

can we win with him? im sure, as long as he is away from stuart. boyle would be a good choice, but then you have irwin with stuart, and while we may direct a good amount of shots the opposing teams way, we will give up odd man rushes.

i just hope they dont ride a dead horse, if he turns out to be murray 2.0 with us.

even if i go back to 07-08 with colorado, after he was just traded from the sharks. he is still running negative numbers, while paired with good teammates.

i know i sound like i am arguing to exclude him altogether, but really i just want coaches to look at the facts if hes not posting good numbers. by all accounts demers is still green, as is braun, but they are fine out there and usually give our team a chance to win. we probably wont have demers for a bit, so the smallest step down would be tennyson, imo.
If Tennyson played more often then I would feel more comfortable with the team icing him for the playoffs.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:38 PM
  #97
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,459
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
it's a 6th rounder, who cares. I know the sharks have a history of success with 5th-7th round picks (and not to sabotage my own point, but it's actually a fairly impressive list of successful 6th round conversions since 2000), but it's not like the price to reacquire one is all that steep if they see a kid in the late rounds that they still want. Whatever value Hannan has provided so far these last couple weeks and will provide in the playoffs is almost certainly worth the usual value you get from a 6th.

Actually, looking at Hockeydb, the Sharks are more likely to trade their 6th than other late rounds. Since 2000 they have had 5 drafts in which they didn't have a 6th rounder, (vs 3 drafts in which they had a pair of 6ths).
Hannan is barely NHL caliber, and he's on the decline. The fact that he's bounced around the league constantly over the last few years and spent much of that time on the bench pretty much tells you what you need to know.

It's just a 6th, but would you be ok if the Sharks just said "We don't like 6th round picks, we don't want them anymore give them to someone else". No, because it's a pointless waste, just like acquiring Hannan was. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i said it in another thread, but the coaching staffs unwillingness to take a risk is one of their biggest downsides.

a player like tennyson is a risk, but the upside is much bigger, imo. you may see some mistakes in the back end, but as a player looking for his first nhl contract? i think youll see a lot of guts, a lot of sacrafice and generally playing way above what they are capable of. and i think hes a smart player anyway, probably wouldnt have a ton of gaffes leading to goals.

playing hannan is the "safe bet". hes a vet, he should know what hes doing, etc.
The only thing Hannan is a 'safe' bet for is being terrible. When I said he's been one of the worst (non-rookie) defensemen in the league in recent years I was not exaggerating, he's awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
It's CAREER risk for Tmac. If plays the vet, it's like you said. Hannan should know what he's doing, has experience blah blah blah. If the vet fails, it's not really Tmac's fault.

On the other hand, if he plays the rookie and the rookie fails, it's: What the hell was Tmac thinking? Playing a rookie? Dumb move!! Personally, Tmac has way more to lose by playing the rookie, and not much to gain. Unfortunate, but I think its clearly the situation. I also think this thinking is prevalent among most professional coaches/management. I'm with most others, put Tennyson in there and let it ride. He can't be much worse than Hannan.
Tennyson will create at least SOME offense, that alone will tip the scales in his favor. Hannan is a stay at home defensemen that can't play defense and is a black hole offensively. I'd rather have a defensive liability that can at least create offense to balance it out.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
  #98
SignThornton
BEAST MODE
 
SignThornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Catharines, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
4-3 Sharks.

Juicy, Pavs, Torres, Burns
Benn, Eriksson, Nystrom

SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:55 PM
  #99
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
sheppard might be a bit too slow to take meaningful pk minutes.

its a slow day at work today...so ive been posting way more than necessary but:

burish is bad with the puck...giving it away without equally taking it away.

sheppard much better. he has more giveaways by 1. but his differential on it is +5. burish is a -6.

underlying numbers? eesh, give me a break. burish is last in two way play. sheppard is a healthy positive with the same quality of teammates..minus runs with JT.

burish has done one thing better than sheppard and thats have a .20 better FO%. with a lot more faceoffs in general.

shep takes less penalties, does better offensively. for a team that doesnt take a ton of penalties in the first place, his PK ability doesnt really outweigh much.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:56 PM
  #100
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,580
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
In general, I agree. But in this specific case (Hannan over Tennyson), I think the benefits of Hannan outweigh the benefits of Tennyson. Of course, it's a small sample size for both, but Hannan has been decent in the 2 games he played in. He's had decent stretch passes which lead to mini breaks, is getting pucks on net, and is physical. Tennyson is more offensive and he's quicker, but defensively he's still a bit raw. Having a steady stay-at-home partner might allow Boyle/Demers/Braun to be more offensive, since they probably trust Hannan more than Tennyson. As long as Hannan isn't paired with Stuart, I'm pretty happy.
If Hannan starts struggling, then we have a different story.
There are no benefits to Hannan.

We can't ice Hannan, Irwin, Stuart, and Vlasic in the same lineup. We need a puck mover on every pairing, and Irwin isn't being iced without Boyle. Tennyson may make a couple mistakes, but he drives play the right way, he has a good shot and is smart about using it, he has the puck skills to get the puck out of the zone, his skating is very good and he's got good size too. Hannan is another Colin White, except not quite as bad. I'd rather ice Stuart-Tennyson than Hannan and Stuart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
How come we don't roll the "Vlasic-Stuart" pairing anymore?

I remember that pairing being so effective when we tore it up at the start of the year. Plus, Stuart plays better on the Right side as opposed to the Left (just like when he was paired with Lidstrom in DET). I think that's why Stuart thrives with Vlasic, because Vlasic (like Lidstrom) plays sound defensively (obviously Vlasic is no Lidstrom, but my point stands)
The Vlasic-Stuart pair was terrible. No puck skills. Couldn't get the puck out of the zone. Constantly forced to play in the defensive end. Just no.

We need a puck-mover on every pair. We need a puck-mover on every pair.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.