Notices

Tyler Seguin

Old
04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
CDJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Well ya see, the thing is, nobody worth their salt gives a **** whether or not you 'bang dudes'
And I agree wholeheartedly

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
danpantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk 16 View Post
Merlot line?
This has nothing to do with hockey, so it shouldnt affect hockey.

Suspend him from twitter till the offseason. That would be suitable.

danpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Turk 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpantz View Post
This has nothing to do with hockey, so it shouldnt affect hockey.

Suspend him from twitter till the offseason. That would be suitable.
Yeah dude I was kidding. Next time I'll use one of these

Turk 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:25 PM
danpantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk 16 View Post
Yeah dude I was kidding. Next time I'll use one of these
Lol, i am a dummy.

danpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Turk 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpantz View Post
Lol, i am a dummy.
My bad, no hobo!

Turk 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
How anyone can get bent out of shape over his tweet is beyond me. I'm not a part of the anti-PC brigade or the PC brigade. Common sense is much needed here. He clearly meant nothing by his comment. I deal with a lot of people his age and this is just the way they talk. No need to spaz out and dissect harmless tweets. Geesh.
Nobody's getting bent out of shape or calling for censorship or anything. Some of us are simply pointing out that Seguin may have fallen short of his responsibilites as an adult and a public figure. Some of us simply expect more from adults who have, and make liberal use of, a public platform than to regurgitate slang that can reinforce harmful attitudes.

The fact that "a lot of people his age" talk this way is neither here nor there. He wasn't just talking in private with friends. He was writing in a public forum.

The fact that he might have "meant nothing by his comment" is also neither here nor there. We're not holding a trial regarding whether Seguin is homophobic or not. Some of us just think that, regardless of his intent, he should be more careful given the potential impact of his words. (Is this really so much to ask of an adult?)

We would be having a similar debate here if Seguin had tweeted the oft-used (in young male world) phrase, "that's so gay!": here again, we're dealing with a phrase that has become so embedded in the discourse of teens that it comes to be used by people who are presumably sympathetic to gays, and comes to seem inoffensive to many. That does not lessen the impact of such a phrase on young kids struggling to come to terms with their sexuality. If anything, it can increase the impact, because the very fact that an anti-homosexual phrase can be turned to such accepted, generic, and seemingly benign use can signal to such kids that society takes for granted the notion that "homo" and "gay" are attributes one should stay clear from.

My final comment (and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record by now): the word "offensive" is completely distracting and not up to the issue at hand. I'm not offended by statements like Seguin's. I'm concerned about their cumulative impact.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

That post ^ was about as perfect as they come, Bone. Thank you.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Nobody's getting bent out of shape or calling for censorship or anything. Some of us are simply pointing out that Seguin may have fallen short of his responsibilites as an adult and a public figure. Some of us simply expect more from adults who have, and make liberal use of, a public platform than to regurgitate slang that can reinforce harmful attitudes.

The fact that "a lot of people his age" talk this way is neither here nor there. He wasn't just talking in private with friends. He was writing in a public forum.

The fact that he might have "meant nothing by his comment" is also neither here nor there. We're not holding a trial regarding whether Seguin is homophobic or not. Some of us just think that, regardless of his intent, he should be more careful given the potential impact of his words. (Is this really so much to ask of an adult?)

We would be having a similar debate here if Seguin had tweeted the oft-used (in young male world) phrase, "that's so gay!": here again, we're dealing with a phrase that has become so embedded in the discourse of teens that it comes to be used by people who are presumably sympathetic to gays, and comes to seem inoffensive to many. That does not lessen the impact of such a phrase on young kids struggling to come to terms with their sexuality. If anything, it can increase the impact, because the very fact that an anti-homosexual phrase can be turned to such accepted, generic, and seemingly benign use can signal to such kids that society takes for granted the notion that "homo" and "gay" are attributes one should stay clear from.

My final comment (and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record by now): the word "offensive" is completely distracting and not up to the issue at hand. I'm not offended by statements like Seguin's. I'm concerned about their cumulative impact.
Thank you for that post. I feel the same way but I lack the ability to put it into words as well as you did.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:03 PM
GloveSave1
-44-

Whether you think the world is too PC or not doesn't make any difference.

You can't say something like that.

...and it's OBVIOUS.

This is the real world. The world we live in. And it's pretty easy to determine words that can be construed as offensive. Just use your head.

Who cares if it's a trendy phrase. If there was a trendy phrase that said "no *insert classic racial derogatory term of your choice*" or something, I'd certainly know not to use it on Twitter if I was a celebrity, public servant, or athlete (or anyone else for that matter). Alarm bells would go off.

I'm willing to buy his I was "half-asleep" excuse. Whatever. We'll probably see more of Tyler struggling to maintain a distinction between having fun with his peeps on social media and his professional responsibility. But it always makes me laugh when people say things for public dissemination with something that obviously isn't going to fly...Bone-head stuff...

Come on, man!

I'd expect this out of idiot politicians, but not a Bruin.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
The Real Timmy

thank you tyler for proving me right.
you care more about celebrity and twitter (what people think of your uneducated remarks) than hockey.
would you like it if I called you a f*g? or a wigger?? or would that be no big deal either?
get the **** off twitter during the Boston Bruins season

Last edited by The Real Timmy: 04-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
The Real Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Timmy View Post
you care more about celebrity and twitter (what people think of your uneducated remarks) than hockey.
would you like it if I called you a f*g? or a wigger?? or would that be no big deal either?
...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:01 PM
JuicyJ*

Quote:

Rock on, buddy!

Tyler Seguin is also responsible for global warming. What a ******

JuicyJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Salem13

I so wish for an un-moderated version of this forum...

...sulks off with full bag of F-bombs and entirely non-PC speak all postmarked for the over sensitive.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Seguin Genesis

I like Celine Dion

#no habfan

Seguin Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Chang View Post
I like Celine Dion

#no habfan

That's offensive.

To good taste.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Who did he "call" anything? Its not like he called anyone anything haha

And also this is just pretty inappropriate

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:50 PM
westernhome

people in the public light should stick to bland politically correct social media posts, it is a pointless risk to ever let your personality show through in social media, as someone somewhere is always going to be offended by something

social media is really a scourge on society

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
people in the public light should stick to bland politically correct social media posts, it is a pointless risk to ever let your personality show through in social media, as someone somewhere is always going to be offended by something

social media is really a scourge on society
Thats probably why Marchand and Lucic both deleted their Twitters within practically days

I think thats what makes Luongo kind of a genius. He just says whatever he wants but since he doesnt have Luongo as his name or his handle, it kind of seems like he is just another guy haha

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:

DoubleAAAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
C77

You can't do or so anything these days without offending someone....which makes it look the the issue is with the person saying it when just as often the issue is with the person who gets offended by everything.

It's frustrating at times to have to live and work in an environment in which you have to always behave in such narrow parameters of the human experience.

Certain classic movies probably couldn't be made today due to political correctness and that is a shame.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Lion View Post
I cannot conceive of a 21 year old Patrice Bergeron posting anything at all, let alone something that could end up causing a stir.

Kid needs to grow the **** up, and think of his teammates.
I wish I had made this post.

Bergeron is class, maturity and intelligence. Tyler should spend more time hanging around him.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:02 PM
VanIsle

Seguin is still a very young guy and said something that was a tad bit offensive, with social medial and the speed of getting your word out, sometimes people say stupid things. I just can not believe this thread has almost 500 replies.

Nothing to see here, who cares, done and done, the world has bigger problems then kids saying stupid things.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Plus a thousand.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
NiKrejci

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Thats probably why Marchand and Lucic both deleted their Twitters within practically days

I think thats what makes Luongo kind of a genius. He just says whatever he wants but since he doesnt have Luongo as his name or his handle, it kind of seems like he is just another guy haha
There is not a better hockey twitter than Luongo's. He's ****ing hilarious.

NiKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Fair enough- I missed that part. Organizations in general are way too involved in employees personal lives IMO. In this case, it's definitely not this guys fault.
The flaw in your post is the word "personal". When you are posting something on the internet, it ceases to be "personal" and becomes public.

At some point people need to realize that when your goal is to post every minutiae of your life for everyone to see, because you think it's super duper important, you've crossed over from private to public.

Just like the stupid idiot who posted a pic of herself giving the finger to a sign at ANC. The danger these people are taking is that when they share every thought we end up finding out that they really don't have many thoughts worth sharing.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote