HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux's next contract

Old
04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Giroux's next contract

I've been thinking a lot about Giroux's next contract lately and I'm trying to figure out how it may play out and what may be the best strategy to get the best hit.

Earlier this season when he was well under a PPG I was hoping that they Flyers would sign him this summer before camp because he would be at a slightly lower value than we all expected last year. Now he's managed to get back to a PPG on a terrible team so he has some leverage back.

What do you think would be the best thing to do with G and his next contract? Do they sign him this summer and hope he gets back to the 90+ point player from last year or do they wait until next season starts and they see is he regains his form?

What is your projected cap hit? I'm hoping to keep the hit around $8m per. I'm not sure how I would feel about a perry type deal at $8.6m per.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Id be absolutely shocked if he doesn't have a new contract before puck drop next season. My guess is 8 years/$60 million ($7.5 million/year)

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Id be absolutely shocked if he doesn't have a new contract before puck drop next season. My guess is 8 years/$60 million ($7.5 million/year)
sounds about right

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I feel like that's around what it will take. Any 8 year deal with a hit around the 6.5 (if he takes a steep discount) to 8.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:57 PM
dawkins121

Bigger than Getzlaf and Perry, around 9 per year probably. It's not going to be less than 8.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Anything below 8 would be a steal. He's too good.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Bigger than Getzlaf and Perry, around 9 per year probably. It's not going to be less than 8.
Lol no

I'm thinking he takes a discount at about 7 per

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Yeah I'm in this camp. Giroux holds all the cards. 8 is a minimum.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

Giroux doesn't hold all the cards people. The Flyers do with him being a restricted free agent. If he was an impending UFA, then he would be holding them. I can see an 8 year 60-65 million deal, which is somewhere around what he will get.

Pery and Getz got their contracts because they were UFA's. Also they are more accomplished than Giroux. Stanley cup and an art Ross and Richard award. They deserve more money.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I really wonder if a team would offer sheet him. it didnt happen to stamkos, but maybe a team does it.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I really wonder if a team would offer sheet him. it didnt happen to stamkos, but maybe a team does it.
It wont get close to that stage. It will get done this offseason, well before anyone can give him an offer sheet

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
JuicyJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Lol no

I'm thinking he takes a discount at about 7 per
*hoping

JuicyJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Giroux doesn't hold all the cards people. The Flyers do with him being a restricted free agent. If he was an impending UFA, then he would be holding them. I can see an 8 year 60-65 million deal, which is somewhere around what he will get.

Pery and Getz got their contracts because they were UFA's. Also they are more accomplished than Giroux. Stanley cup and an art Ross and Richard award. They deserve more money.
Giroux 100% holds all the cards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has one year left of RFA status doesn't he? If the Flyers want him long term, they are going to have to give him what he wants. If not, he'll sign a one year deal and we'll go through it all again next year as a UFA. He isn't going to just sign a long term deal for money he doesn't want just because he is an RFA for one more year. If he turns it down and signs a one year deal, they are in a worse situation. Or maybe he signs a shorter deal for less money too, but I don't really see that happening. I guess if the Flyers don't want him long term one of the other possibilities could go down, but I think it is clear they are going to want him for the whatever 7 or 8 years they are allowed to do now. If he has more time as an RFA, of course, this argument is not applicable, but I am under the impression he is an RFA this offseason but UFA for all future offseasons.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Why would he get more than them?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Giroux is not as credentialed as Getz and Perry. I don't see why people think he will get more money than them. He isn't a cup winner, art ross, or Richard winner. 9 million would be a horrible deal for the Flyers

Now yes he does have only one year left of RFA, but that was clearly done on purpose. Next year he will be getting paid 5.5 million, so he will be getting a raise from that salary. He doesn't have the ability to just take a one year deal, the Flyers have the ability to offer one year deal though. He doesn't have the ability to talk to every single team in the NHL and weigh offers, he can though get offers from other teams. He doesn't hold all the cards. The Flyers set up his contract situation perfectly. Also there is no way Giroux only accepts a one year deal. If he does that, I would look to move him if they can't agree to a longer contract. He is proven though, and the captain, he will re-sign for the long term and for less than 9 million.

I am just going to agree to disagree here. This will just continually go in a circle.

Last edited by Prongo: 04-23-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Why would he get more than them?
Because he's better than them and is the franchise player for a big market team. What do you guys think is really more likely? That Homer and the brass leverage his RFA status as best as they can and work his agent down in long negotiations to a below market deal? Or that they open the checkbooks and break the bank on him. Just wait.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm thinking anywhere in $7.5M-$8.0M range.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Because he's better than them and is the franchise player for a big market team. What do you guys think is really more likely? That Homer and the brass leverage his RFA status as best as they can and work his agent down in long negotiations to a below market deal? Or that they open the checkbooks and break the bank on him. Just wait.
You may think he's better, but in terms of stats and hardware won he is not. The Flyers are a big market team but there is a cap and overpaying Giroux means weakening the rest of the team.

Prongo is right.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Nashville?

Giroux will be a Flyer, first and foremost.

I hope he'll take a home discount but we'll see when it happens I guess. Anything under 8 million I'll be extremely happy with.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:27 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
You may think he's better, but in terms of stats and hardware won he is not. The Flyers are a big market team but there is a cap and overpaying Giroux means weakening the rest of the team.

Prongo is right.
How about Semin getting 7? Or Parise getting 7.5? Hell or even just the rumors that Bozak is looking at 5+? And don't give me the RFA nonsense, Weber proved that means next to nothing for superstars. This is the market we're looking at. Part of it will be a prestige move too, the Flyers saying "look how much we can pay our franchise player!". Don't delude yourself into thinking a hometown discount is on the way, it's not.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Curufinwe

Semin has the stats to justify his price tag, especially over only five years. Giroux does not have stats to justify $9m per year when the Flyers will also have Couturier, Read, Schenn and others to resign.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
How about Semin getting 7? Or Parise getting 7.5? Hell or even just the rumors that Bozak is looking at 5+? And don't give me the RFA nonsense, Weber proved that means next to nothing for superstars. This is the market we're looking at. Part of it will be a prestige move too, the Flyers saying "look how much we can pay our franchise player!". Don't delude yourself into thinking a hometown discount is on the way, it's not.
I wouldn't expect it but I certainly wouldn't rule it out at the same time. I don't know what Giroux's thinking so it's tough to make an accurate prediction on what he'll do. We'll just have to wait until we start hearing some numbers thrown around to get a better sense of this.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Semin has the stats to justify his price tag, especially over only five years. Giroux does not have stats to justify $9m per year when the Flyers will also have Couturier, Read, Schenn and others to resign.
Maybe not $9, but he's close. Does anyone really think that Semin will out score Giroux over the next 7 years?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Now yes he does have only one year left of RFA, but that was clearly done on purpose. Next year he will be getting paid 5.5 million, so he will be getting a raise from that salary. He doesn't have the ability to just take a one year deal, the Flyers have the ability to offer one year deal though. He doesn't have the ability to talk to every single team in the NHL and weigh offers, he can though get offers from other teams. ...
I don't believe either of those things are true.

Giroux absolutely has the option of simply accepting the qualifying offer of $3.5. I don't think he will, of course, but he could.

I'm not sure what you mean, but Giroux and his agent can absolutely talk to other teams as long as he is an unsigned RFA.

At the end of the day, I'm sure a deal gets done. I'm more concern withwhat Matt Read will cost than what Giroux will ultimately cost (which, I'd guess, will be somewhere north of $7 million and south of $9 million.)

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Based on reading HF the last two weeks, Giroux is becoming the most underrated player on this website.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote